“West Bay Club Island Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Every 3rd Night Free
Ranked #11 of 44 hotels in Providenciales
Homer, Alaska
“West Bay Club Island Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

We just got home from a fantastic vacation at the Turks & Caicos West Bay Club resort from May 5 to 15. This was our first trip to this island. We were looking for a tropical location to visit for a break from our long cold Alaskan winter. We chose the Providenciales based on Internet research and trip advisor reviews.
This island is an absolute paradise. It has the most beautiful white sand beaches and calm turquoise water I have ever seen. We've vacationed in Aruba, Riviera Maya, Costa Rica, Croatia, and this island is the most quiet and beautiful of them all.
The West Bay Club resort is perfect for a quiet, relaxing, sun and fun vacation! It is located on a wide and quiet section of Grace Bay. Take a walk down the beach and you will see the Beaches all inclusive resort. If you have noisy, undisciplined, screaming kids; please go here. lol The WBC is modern, picturesque, and very comfortable with helpful, friendly staff.
My girlfriend and I arrived at the resort late in the evening. We were tired and hungry from a long flight. No problem. We were greeted with a rum punch and a polite and easy check-in. The Atlantic club was open late so we were able to have dinner and unwind. The cook made us a delicious dinner of sauteed grouper and Alvaro the bartender served up more rum drinks. Alvaro filled us in about the resort ammenities and things to do on the island. He's a great guy and became our friend by the end of our stay. What a start to a great vacation!
We spent most of our time lounging on the beach and soaking up the warm sun, swimming, dining at the many local restaurants, and shopping. We made good use of the nice fitness center and borrowed the resort bikes for a ride to the Saltmills shopping center, and to the Turtle Cove boat harbor. It always felt like the resort was nearly empty because we only saw a few couples every day. One night we asked Alvaro if the place was empty? He told us to our surprise that there were 28 people checked in.
I can't say enough about the friendly and helpful staff at this resort. For example: when you went to the beach; one of the beach staff would greet you at the end of the boardwalk, then walk you to a beach chair and put towels on the chair for you and raise the umbrella for you. They'd serve watermellon and teach you how to sail or paddleboard if you wanted. Now that's service.
My only criticisms would be that the resort shouldn't ration the bathroom ammenities. When you're on the toilet and run out of TP, it's too late to call room service. The faucet water tastes awful and I think the resort should provide free bottled water to the guests. The $6.00 a bottle is a little steep.
The complimentary breakfast was appreciated and the meals we ate at the Atlantic bar and grill were great. I just want to thank the staff for making us feel at home and comfortable. I don't remember all their names but a few that I want to mention because they really made us feel welcome are Alvaro, Stormin Norman, and Josue at the bar/grill and William and Eduardo on the beach crew. We absolutely loved our stay at WBC and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in a studio with a king bed on the second floor. The room was beautiful with two balconies...

508 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My Husband and I returned from a 6 day stay at The West Bay Club. This was our third trip to TCI and first time at The West Bay Club. After we made the reservation on line we had some requests and questions. Angela the agent was very helpful. She and the concierge were able to book us in a beautiful suite with an incredible view and prearrange dinner reservations. Our suite was spotless, well appointed and the cleaning lady did a terrific job servicing our room.

Breakfast was complimentary and more than adequate. Without a doubt TCI has most amazing beaches we ever seen in our travels and The West Bay Club is truly located on the best part. The beach is wider, spacious and absolutely uncrowded compared to other areas. The sand is powdery white and the water like liquid glass. Top that with a great, friendly beach service and you are truly in paradise. The beach attendants William, Big Charles, Wildly and Eduardo were very helpful and ready to assist with towels, umbrellas or beach equipment. My husband attempted to learn from Eduard how to wind surf …and I was able to balance myself on the paddle board- that was much fun. By the time we left, Julian the Beach server knew too well our daily routine … A few afternoons we stayed by the pool because it was windy and had lunch at Atlantic Bar and Grill . Ask for Mammy’s conch sampler and try Norman’s special: Storm’n Norman …. You’ll love it.
For dinner we ventured out at our favourite restaurants Coco Bistro and Parallel 23, two that we always enjoy.
Over all we had a great stay; the resort offers a comfortable ambiance, is very relaxing and friendly. We walked next door to Gansevoort for a change of pace and to Somewhere on the beach- this is the name of the tex mex beach restaurant a couple minutes away. The grounds are lovely, the staff is very nice and helpful, the front desk agents always very pleasant. We already booked our next stay for the holidays and can’t wait to return.

New York and Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Just stayed there from May10-May 15. I stayed in a one bedroom luxury and it was well worth the money. Oceanfront suite that was outstanding! Beach was empty except for 2 other couples and a group of 4 girls. The restaurant on the property had continental breakfast, but other than that, the food was just OK. Turks and Caicos is great for relaxation, but definitely not a hot party area. We didn't do any excursions, just preferred to lay on the beach and it was perfect for that!

Room Tip: One bedroom luxury!
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed at the West Bay Club for a few nights in April and we loved it! This is a small hotel with great amenities and a wonderful staff. The rooms are amazing and they all seem to have somewhat of an ocean view. The beach is also great since it's not crowded and wider than other parts. Once you walk down near Beaches the beach gets very crowded and very narrow. We ate at the hotel every night expect for one when we went over to the Gansevoort. The restaurant was awful and very expensive! The restaurant staff was very nice though. The hotel is also nice and they have a great spa and outside yoga classes. We went to the West Bay spa which was fine but very small and barely a spa for the cost. The best spa we found was at the Regent Palms.

This hotel is perfect if you want something low key. We went with friends and both families have babies and it was perfect for us. They have sand toys down the beach, non-motorized water sports, and floats and rafts at the pool. The breakfast was included and was fine and included bagels, fruit, yogurt, and pastries. The only complaint was that our bed wasn't comfortable. Also, drinks are expensive and the market up the street is very pricey. If you want to buy alcohol find out where the locals shop! We would definitely head back here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stayed at the West Bay Club in January 2011. I have never written a review, but have told so many people about this wonderful hotel and amazing island that I felt like I wanted to write my first review about the WBC. We traveled with our two grown children to have some family time and stayed in a two bedroom suite with an ocean view. I can't say enough about how nice it was. Everything was new and clean - large balcony with an amazing view of the most beautiful beach in the world.The most wonderful turquoise water and soft white sand. At night, we had our bedroom window open and we slept to the sound of the ocean.

Everyone at the West Bay Club was so nice. From the front desk, to the bartender and the housekeeping staff. The staff at the beach was wonderful as well. They made sure you had everything you needed and even gave us a free catamaran sailing lesson!

This hotel is on the quietest end of the beach, so you are not going to walk to much - but that is what we like on our vacations. Peaceful beach and then we took a cab for our shopping and dinners. We did go next door one night and had dinner at the outdoor restaurant at the Ganesvoort hotel, and the food was the best we had on the island.

We did a 1/2 day snorkeling trip where we found our own conch shells and the crew fixed them for lunch on a private little beach. We then got to bring the conch shells home. The people on this island are all so friendly.

Best vacation ever- I can't wait to go back and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dlunderwood, Manager at West Bay Club, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking time to post your review. All of us at The West Bay Club appreciate your kind words and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Roxana Underwood
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I want to start with the positives, because there was so much wonderful about this place and Provo. With a few very notable exceptions, the people were exceptionally friendly. The staff at the front desk was helpful and answered every question with a smile.

My wife and I, with another couple, stayed in an immaculate two bedroom ocean-side suite that included four-poster king sized beds, a huge living area, a well supplied kitchen, two washer/dryers, modern cabinet hardware, dedicated wifi, and two bathrooms the size of most bedrooms at other resorts in the Caribbean (I could go on). For most of the week, I struggled to grasp why a place like this had at best a 25% occupancy during our stay. The included continental breakfast at the Atlantic Bar & Grill was adequate, and the morning staff very friendly.

The resort is located toward the western end of Grace Bay and the beach was AMAZING. The sand was so soft, it was like walking on flour. Wally, Jeffrey, Edward & the rest (the "Beach Boys", as they were affectionately known) kept constant watch over our area and always jumped at the chance to do everything from setup an umbrella to take you out and show you how to use the hobby cats. Their positive attitude made us feel right at home. Rain or shine, they were wonderful.

Initially, the only thing negative we encountered was the fact that our toiletries (and toilet paper) weren't replenished. The other couple got a bit of an attitude from the cleaning folks when they asked for shampoo. We did notice that the shampoo wasn't stocked on the carts that they pushed around (otherwise we'd have swiped it ourselves, like we did toilet paper). It MAY be the resort's policy to not replenish these items unless asked.. they had several other "conservational"-type things where they wouldn't swap out towels or bed linens unless prompted. There may have been something similar with shampoo and TP. But even so, there's no justification for the bad attitude. It was relatively minor, and I didn't think much of it at the time.

Our last night, we decided to have dinner at the restaurant on site, Atlantic Bar & Grill. I can say with great confidence, this was the worst service I've experienced at any restaurant anywhere. There were two waiters for our table of four, and both were unfriendly to blatantly rude right from the start. It's very difficult to convey tone in this forum, but the impatience and attitude was off the charts from the get go and didn't let up. Very surprising since we were the only party there the whole night. We ignored it as best we could because on the contrary, the food was quite good and we were surprised to find that the iced tea refills were included (always a plus!). We had conch fritters at every restaurant we found on the island, and though it hurts to say it now, these were the best. The only exception was my wife's order of fish fingers, which were under cooked. The flour-paste breading was almost liquid throughout. She asked for the conch chowder instead; it was also part of the conch sampler appetizer, and EXCELLENT.

When we got the bill, I was surprised to see SIX iced teas on it for three of us who had them. I tracked down the server (by the bar, watching tv), and asked about them. Apparently the FIRST refill is free, THEN you buy another one. I asked how many we received, and was told "ten, you have two more". More than a little irritated by the whole night, I told him we'd take the two. It wasn't until I got back to the table that I noticed we were also charged for the fish that was sent back. I half expected it at this point, but I figured if we were being charged for it, the least he could have done was leave it so we could feed the little lizards who were running around everywhere. When he eventually came by with the two drinks, I asked him to remove the fish and was told the "system is locked, we can't take off food". We pressed him to take the extra drinks off instead. After quite a bit of back and forth, he agreed to remove the extra drinks. But on his way back to the computer, he grabbed the two drinks he had just dropped off and took them with him!! It's laughable, in retrospect... It's as if the goal was to ensure the (only) patrons of the restaurant were as unhappy as possible with their experience the night before checkout!

We spoke with the manager the next morning during checkout. She had obviously already been prepped by the wait staff. Her initial attitude was "he fixed it. He took off the extra drinks, right?" Then "if we credit you the $17 fish, would that make you happy?" She seemed to completely miss the point, and made me feel pretty cheap about the whole thing. We had just dropped several thousands of dollars to stay the week.. it wasn't an issue of $3 drinks or a $17 plate of food. We weren't looking for money, just sympathies or empathy.. SOMETHING to convince us it would be worth coming back. We didn't get it, just "here's $17.. hopefully you'll be okay with that". I expected more from the general manager.

To sum it up, if you can..
- avoid the restaurant like the plague
- bring your own toiletries
.. there's a good chance you'll have the best vacation of your life. TCI is outstanding in every way. We'll be going back, just not staying at West Bay Club.

Dlunderwood, Manager at West Bay Club, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear guest, thank you for the kind remarks about our beautiful Island, our resort and our friendly staff. As you probably remember, I personally took care of your party reservation. In the process I have shown you sympathy and understanding to insure that you and your friend get the best possible value for your stay. To be even more empathetic and to show how much we appreciate that you took your friend’s- that stayed here- advise, I extended a restaurant credit which was used on your last night.
Because we are all about insuring a great guests experience and because we value all guests comments we discuss with the staff all the issues raised by our guests. We did the same with your post. Please allow me to clarify a few of your comments.
The West Bay Club prides itself to be a promoter of green living and a leader in energy conservation. The program to which you refer as:…conservational-type thing… is called Project Planet. In today’s living, conservation is a norm expected and respected by the savvy travelers. The program is posted in every room and encourages the guests to help us conserve power, energy and resource. Our lodging team is trained to follow these guidelines along with the guest’s requests which are at no time turned down.
The lodging staff carts are stocked with cleaning supplies, linen, amenities and paper goods. The Molton Brown amenities, if used are replenished with the daily service. The Molton Brown amenities are not left on the carts in plain view because of this exact reason: … (otherwise we'd have swiped it ourselves, like we did toilet paper). In regard to the staff attitude I will address this matter on an individual basis.
I appreciate your praises about our food and I shared your notes with our chefs. At the same time I regret the upset the two waiters on duty caused your party. One of them is no longer working at our restaurant.
Dear Guest, I must admit that despite some of your negative comments you summed up in your posting the best reasons travelers should stay with us at WBC for which I thank you:

-…there was so much wonderful about this place and Provo …beach was AMAZING. The sand was so soft, it was like walking on flour. Wally, Jeffrey, Edward & the rest (the "Beach Boys", as they were affectionately known) kept constant watch over our area. Their positive attitude made us feel right at home. Rain or shine, they were wonderful….
-…immaculate two bedroom ocean-side suite that included four-poster king sized beds, a huge living area, a well supplied kitchen, washer/dryers, modern cabinet hardware, dedicated wifi, and two bathrooms the size of most bedrooms at other resorts in the Caribbean …
-…the people were exceptionally friendly. The staff at the front desk was helpful and answered every question with a smile.
-... the food was quite good …and we were surprised to find that the iced tea refills were included (always a plus!). We had conch fritters at every restaurant we found on the island, and though it hurts to say it now, these were the best…

One of my jobs as a manager is to make sure guests are happy and to resolve issues. Since the inexcusable restaurant experience you had was prepaid with the restaurant credit I included with your reservation, the automatic question that comes to a sympathetic mind is what else can I do to make you happy? …After all it was clear from the very first e mail that it’s all about money…so I obliged
Roxana Underwood
Rowley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We have stayed at a few places on Grace Bay and found the West Bay Club has the nicest rooms and all the staff are friendly and helpful. That section of the beach is wide and uncrowded and very beautiful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to West Bay Club? Share your experiences!