“Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Boston, MA
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

My husband and I recently had an excellent stay at the West Bay Club. I relied heavily on TripAdvisor in making my hotel selection and I am happy to report that all of the good reviews of this place are accurate. As first time visitors to the island, we wanted a full service hotel that was close to offshore snorkeling. When researching prices, WBC appeared to give the most value for the price paid. We reserved our room online directly with the hotel for approximately $400/per night plus tax and service. This rate was part of a stay four/pay for three special. Because the hotel requires three nights deposit to reserve, I had already paid in full for our hotel before our arrival (with the exception of tax/service charge).

Due to a computer error when we checked in, the front desk staff was under the impression that our room rate was over $1,000 per night. The staff automatically assumed that I was wrong and tried to explain to me how I must have misunderstood my reservation, instead of double checking their information before addressing the situation. After showing them my printed confirmation and some tense moments, one of the women at the front desk finally pulled out a calculator and discovered that the check in computer had made an error and that my confirmation reflected the correct paid in full rate. Although this was resolved within 10 minutes and the remainder of my experience with the front desk was pleasant, it left me with a bad feeling since I spent several anxious minutes panicking that they were not going to honor the rate that I reserved and that my vacation was about to cost me more than double what I had thought. Upon further reflection, it also occurred to me that in all my research, I had never seen our particular room category advertised as over $1,000 per night and felt that the front desk should have realized this before creating a stressful situation.

As soon as I saw our room, my anxiety started to subside. We reserved a regular one bedroom room. I had been on the fence about wanting to upgrade to the luxury – but decided to save the money. We were happy with our decision – and while I’m sure the view from a luxury room is breathtaking, the ocean view from the one bedroom balcony was more than sufficient. The unit was over 1000 sq ft., complete with three balconies (one oceanfront, two pool view), washer/dryer, full kitchen (although half size fridge), two flat screen tvs and a full dining room table with ocean/pool views.

There are complimentary bikes for guests to use – which we took to the IGA on our second day. It is about a 10-15 minute bike ride. Continental breakfast was complimentary with a spread of breads, pastries, yogurt and fresh fruit. Nothing fancy but sufficient.

The beach is BEAUTIFUL! We felt that it was much quieter and wider than the beach in front of other hotels. We loved all of the free water sports such as the Hobie Cat, paddleboards and windsurfing. The beach attendants were great, especially Eduardo, who gave my husband and I several lessons in windsurfing and was a very patient teacher. The beach attendants came around with fresh cut watermelon each day, which was a great touch. It was about a 5-10 min walk down the beach to snorkeling, which we enjoyed.

The location of the hotel makes it necessary to rent a car or take taxis. We decided to rely on taxis – and spent approximately $10 to $13 each way (not including tip) to go to various restaurants. We spent $20 each way to and from the airport. On our first day, we ate lunch at Stelle, which is next door at the Gansevoort. We never ate at the WBC’s restaurant.

All in all, we had a wonderful stay at the WBC and hope to return some day in the future. Based on what we saw of other hotels, WBC is the perfect combination of high end amenities, good value and a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Just back from the West Bay Club. I can't say enough about it. The rooms were gorgeous, clean, and very spacious. The views from our balcony were just amazing. The facility was new, well kept, and equipt with everything we needed to enjoy our stay. We loved the breakfast every morning. The beach attendants were the best! and the kyaks, paddle boards, hobie provided enough beach entertainment for my kids 17,16,13,11 or you could just relax and soak in the gorgeous (uncrowded) beach. The pool is also a beautiful place to hang out. They have a restaurant poolside that we got lunches/drinks from. The entire resort has all of the amenities of a larger property without the suffocating crowds. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We rented a 2 bedroom villa on the ground floor with panoramic views overlooking the turquoise ocean. The condo was quite luxurious and large with a fully stocked modern granite kitchen overlooking the ocean and living room. We had 3 large flat screen tvs, all marble floors three bathrooms, a laundry station in the room. It was amazing. The best part was the almost deserted beach we had. This hotel is really like a bunch of townhouses and apts three stories high. Uncrowded at all times, and we went during the peak week. The beach had free sailing and kayaking. We had our three kids with us and were so worried that they would be bored with no kids club, but it was easy for them to also have fun in a relaxed setting. It was truly the ultimate in luxurious relaxation. I went to the exhale gym classes at the hotel next door.

Room Tip: We loved the ground floor room as we were able to let the kids run in and out from the veranda door...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary (sounds like we are old, but not so much). Our accomodations were perfect ! We had a one bedroom luxury suite (310) that overlooked the gorgeous turquoise waters and silky sand beach. I don't know when we ever truly relaxed and enjoyed our surroundings as much as this trip, and we have travelled extensively thruout the world. The staff here was always so accomodating and helpful. Our Conciere booked our evening meals for us at some of the most delightlful restaurants on the island. Though we were travelling without family, there were a number of families with children that seemed also to be enjoying their stay at this wonderful resort. Truly a gem in TCI.

Room Tip: The rooms all seem to face this majestic ocean and beach!
North Andover, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We loved the West Bay Club! The beach was amazing. It was very secluded so if you want to get away and not be with a bunch of people, then this is the place to go. The staff was so friendly and helpful.
I would definitely go back.
It is a pricey island but it was worth the relaxation.

Jacksonville,FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This was our first visit to Turks and Caicos. I did much research in selected our accommodations. The West Bay Club was even better than I expected. In my research there were several comments regarding slow service which I was concerned about...but most all the resorts had the same comment. Anyways, you'll come to find things are just a little slower because everyone is on "Island Time"!! Just loosen up and relax like the locals and the slower pace will kick in with you too! As for the West Bay Club...we stayed in an Ocean View Luxury Suite. The room was very well appointed and the view was spectacular. The property provided a very private and tranquil setting. We never had any problem getting chairs at the pool or the beach. The beach attended was very helpful in setting up our chairs, towels, assisting with the hobie cat...etc. The entire staff was courteous and Renee the concierge was terrific in making our dinner plans. Stormin Normin our bartender was terrific also...he mixes up a great Rum Punch. Oh, I also loved that WBC has bikes that you can take out. We rode down to the Green Bean for breakfast, which was great. You can also walk the beach and snorkeling is within walking distance. We will definitely return!!

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed 5 nights in unit 109 - beautiful outdoor two-level patio for dining, lounging. Not considered ocean front, but truly was ocean front (1BR luxury I believe). Ground floor is great for walk out, but you only see the water (not the sand) so higher floor would be better if you want a higher view. I thought it was very tranquil. One of the big questions at this resort is availability of restaurants within walking distance. I went to Mango Reef in the Alexandra (35 minute walk on beach each way), Bay Bisro in Sibbonne (40 min walk on bch), Caicos Cafe (50 min walk on beach then across the road) and Gansevort next door. I also ate at the Atlantic Cafe in WBC both lunch twice and dinner once. All in all - not terribly impressed by food on the island - not bad, just not memorable. The best things were the coffee-rubbed tuna at Bay Bistro (very good, but very light as a lunch plate) and the grilled fish burger at Atlantic Cafe - really excellent piece of fish (although I had grilled snapper at dinner and it wasn't as stellar).

WBC is very nice - least crowded beach; easy to get pool chairs; pretty (but smaller) infinity pool; and really well appointed rooms. Beautiful set up for kitchen/washer dryer/extra half bath nice, etc. My only comment is this - it is set up very well for families with small children - and therefore you get a number of families with small children. And of course there are always those annoying parents and children - how many times can you listen to "Charles - I said no" or the couple in 409 whose child was wailing on the balcony every time you went outside? But other than a few annoying parents, this place was great!

I saw some comments that people were approached on the beach by staff trying to sell trips. I was on the beach most days, all day, and never approached. I used the kayaks and paddleboards, and the staff were over the top accomodating. The only time I saw them offer to sell trips or parasailing was when guests asked them for recommendations, or said "I'm interested in a snorkeling trip" and then the staff gave them recommendations or brochures.

Took the Big Blue stand up paddleboard tour - it was fantastic. Ray was our guide, and we gently glided by large starfish, live conch, two different kinds of sharks (small - 3', big ones don't live in the shallow waters), sting ray, and Ray stopped to show us very cool jelly fish that we would have overlooked if he had not taken the time to show us. It is a little more physical than the brochure leads you to believe, takes core strength and a bit of leg and arm muscles, but really easy to pick up and very fun! And you can always kneel down and paddle like that if need be.

Beaches are beautiful - other than snorkeling or water sports, there is not much to do, but you come here for the beaches.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to West Bay Club? Share your experiences!