“Don't waste your money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Cockburn Town
A TripAdvisor Member
“Don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2006

The diving was marginal and unsafe. The accomodations were barely a two star and the service was nonexistant. Don't waste your money here. Go to Fiji.

• Stayed May 2006

246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

Bohio is fantastic-- not only is the hotel and its grounds beautiful, the staff is very friendly and eager to please (Thanks Kelly, Nick, Sasha...). This is definitely a place for the avid diver or the person who wants to do nothing but lie on the beach in the sun-- quite honestly, there is nothing more to do than that, so if you are looking for discos, casinos and nighttime hustle and bustle, this is not the place for you.

FOOD: There are several restaurants around, all within walking distance. Each one we ate at offered good food at decent prices (Water's Edge, Osprey, Sandbar). The best (and only) fine dining restaurant is the one at Bohio-- prices are a bit higher, but you definitely get what you pay for. Chef Zev's creations are delicious! If you are looking to buy groceries, there is one main market called Cee's. The food shipments come in on Tuesdays, so the best time to go is Wednesday once the shelves are stocked. The liquor store across the road is also the cheaper way to go, as anywhere else you purchase alcohol will be standard bar prices.

SERVICE: Very slow. Everyone is on island time, which is fine, because when you're on vacation, who wants to rush anyways? Keep it in mind when ordering, that you can easily have a couple of drinks before the food even arrives.

ROOMS: Very clean and comfortable. There is nothing elaborate or glamourous about these accomodations, as they are basic and serve the purpose. They do all have terrific views and was quiet the whole time we stayed. Well, except for the midnight braying of wild donkeys and the chatter of tropical birds in the morning--what a nice way to wake up!

DIVING: Amazing. Unfortunately, Bohio's boat was not operational while we were there, but Oasis Divers from down the beach picked up the slack brilliantly. We were picked up at our beach every morning and dropped off after the dives. Each dive site was great and there was super variety in marine life-- wild dolphins, sting ray, eel, puffer, grouper, turtle, barracuda etc... Gibb's Cay is a "must do" afternoon trip to swim with sting rays and free dive for conch.

GETTING AROUND: By foot or boat is your best option, but you can rent scooters or hire a taxi. The resort has bicycles for use, but we were never quick enough to get to the few available.

Overall, everything at Bohio was great. There were a couple of negatives, though. First off, there were only 3 lounge chairs at the beach, 2 of which were broken. I think Bohio whould invest in several more, as the biggest issue with the guests we spoke with was that. Secondly, I was surprised to see as many locals on the beachfront as I did. I have no issues whatsoever with the presence of locals, afterall, they were there first. The problem I did have was when I did want to use one of the lounge chairs, they seem to be occupied by people other than paying guests. I encountered the same problem with the pool-- several days, the pool was packed with locals/familes and screaming kids, even though there is a sign posted claiming that pool use was for "Bohio guests only". I do strongly believe that paying guests should have priority, which is something I would like to see management address.

• Stayed May 2006
Arlington, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

What an outstanding experience Bohio was! We returned last night and don't have enough good things to say. The diving was outstanding. The staff was always at our beck and call. The food was the best with a great wine list, as well. Of course with just 16 units don't expect crowds in the lobby - just pleasent, happy service with creativity and open to your ideas on what you'd like to enjoy next. The yellow fin tuna were on our hooks within an hour of the start of our fishing trip - price was fantastic & chef cooked it up the most succulent, attractive and tasty tuna steak we've ever had. Really pleasent pace with many interesting people to meet & enjoy (if you want to). Plenty of bikes, etc., to get around. We hope to see you there soon! I do suggest 8 days is about the right amount of time. If you want to change it up you could always go to crazy Provo for the second half of a trip. If you need more details, we'd be happy to share more. Thanks, BOHIO - we love you all! S&D from Arlington, TX

• Stayed April 2006
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

Where do I begin?! Bohio is the best vacation I ever had! As a hard-working dentist, I take my vacation time very seriously! So when I finally had 8 days off to do anything I wanted, I took the advice of some friends and went straight to the Bohio Dive Resort on Grand Turk. What I discovered was my own private oasis of peace and tranquility. Nestled on the far end of the island, you can't help but feel like you are on your very own deserted island... Like something out of the movie Blue Lagoon!

Many sunsets were spent lounging in a hammock, sipping on fruity drinks while indulging in an even juicier novel. One night in particular, I was lounging in the hammock when Elaine, the resorts very own yoga instrucor, invited me to join in on a sunset yoga class! A beginner at yoga, Elaine put me at ease with her one-on-one instruction. Another sunset was spent kayaking with my boyfriend! We had such a playfull time racing eachother, surfing the waves as they rolled into shore.

A beginner at scuba diving, I nervously wondered if I would feel left out as the rest of the gang ventured out on their daily dives. Then here comes Sunny to my rescue! The always smiling, pure-hearted Dive Master with a name that says it all! She took me under her wing during my very own scuba diving lessons. Anxious about wearing all that heavy equipment and having to breath through a mouthpiece, etc..., it was Sunny's professionalism that made me feel safe. Her knowing when to be serious versus when to laugh and be playful was highly impressive. This resort runs a first class diving program.

After much relaxing, it was time for some fun! Having a night on the town is easy no matter what day of the week. Each time my boyfriend and I craved a night life, the co-owners, Nick and Kelly, knew just where to send us! They would even call us a cab! We spent several nights listening to local bands, dancing, and mingling with the locals. It was neat to see many of the same locals out each night. It gave us a chance to build some friendships... Ones that I look forward to building upon during my next visit.

My favorite night was actually not a night out at all, but a night in... Right there at Bohio! Every Thursday night they throw this fabulous barbecue party with a live band, dancing, and the worlds best barbecue ever! (And I'm from Texas! I know good barbecue when I taste it!) I will never forget the ribs as long as I live, I can still taste them now. The mouth-watering meat literally fell off the bone just as it reached my lips!

I could go on and on about all the wonderful things I experienced at Bohio. I suppose I'll close with just a few last details... After getting certified, I finally had my first dive! With Sunny right by my side, she pointed out to me a Manta Ray, a grouper they lovingly call "Alexander", and even a shark. (Speaking of Alexander, you should check him out in November's issue of Scuba Diving magazine! He's in there! And Bohio's boat, Serendipity, is on the front cover!) Perhaps my best memory of all occured while returning from an afternoon of deep sea fishing. Just as we were about to call it a day, we stumbled upon an entire pod of dolphins! We instantly threw on our snorkeling gear and jumped in with them. Three dolphins in particular swam right up to me and stared at me momentarily! My instinct was to reach out and touch them, but I rememebered hearing Nick describing the importance of respecting the sea life. "They are fascinating!" He passionately exclaimed at dinner one night as he went on to describe the specialness of just observing the sea life, allowing THEM to approach YOU when they are good and ready.

A friend of mine once described her first morning ever at Bohio. She was queitly enjoying breakfast right there on the beach when suddenly she looked up to discover dozens of whales migrating right before her very eyes! Turns out there is a shallow channel just off Bohio's private beach that provides it's guests with front row seats of migrating whales each Spring. Needless to say, I've already booked my next trip for this April! Hope to see you there! : )

• Stayed November 2005
columbus ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2006

Just returned last night from Bohio Dive "resort" on Grand Turk. It is only fair to review the experience relative to other "off the beaten path" destinations where the diving is terrific but the resources on land are limited.

Bohio is a lovely, quiet place, well off the road but still beachfront. The rooms are clean and comfortable but sparse. There only one very small dresser so plan on working out of a suitcase on the floor if there is more than one of you.

The management is new and does not seem to have much hospitality experience (but tries hard) as the property lacks the kind of structure and systems that would've prevented checking us into an occupied room and might've informed us of meal hours (before we arrived a half hour late for lunch and hours before dinner) and informed us where to get ice, etc. The stress level of the part-owner who is also the manager is palpable and could be reduced simply by providing information that would enable the guests to help themselves.

There is absolutely no information in the rooms(s) to help you in getting acquainted with such things and it wasn't until the day we checked out that we found out that we could ask for a gallon of drinking water after we had run up a fortune in purchasing small bottles from the bar.

The food is very good but expensive and perhaps a bit too ambitious. Simple foods that are well prepared and served in a timely manner is more important than a sophisticated variety- so the food effort is offset by miserable service. For this reason alone, I would not go here if I had young children. Having an expresso maker is great, but not if it means two tables have to wait for coffee while the server waits by the machine for it to heat up. Wait staff seem to be only able to bring one thing at a time-one cup of coffee slowly delivered so as not to spill and then back to get the next. At minimum having coffee cups on the table would help and at best, coffee needs to be out, visible and available for early risers. Bottom line: BRING YOUR OWN COFFEE AND MUGS. Consider the coffee singles and a cheap immersion heater. While you are at it, pack plenty of snacks/juices because between meals it is impossible to get food and can be tough to find someone to get you a drink.

Management seems eager to please, but is fairly invisible and unorganized. A general manager (meaning someone that is visible and makes rounds) or a more "all hands on deck" approach would vastly help. For example, dirty dishes sat for more than five hours on outside tables that are on a main thorofare between the rooms and the main building. Maids passed, dive staff passed, even wait staff...guess it wasn't their job.

The diving operation is first class. Well staffed with knowledgeable and attentive dive masters. They handled all the gear, including personally owned wetsuits, BC's and mask, fins, snorkels-rinsing and hanging everything for you and making sure it was all on the boat the next morning. This helped offset an abrasive know it all writer who talked incessantly and loudly and occupied the only dry seat in the shade on the boat-even when there was someone who so clearly needed the seat more.

They even had clean dry towels on the boat. Unfortunately, what most will remember is that the boat had no ladder and zero seating. Do not recommend that non-divers go along! It had to be embarrassing for those who lacked the upper body strength to board without having to be dragged aboard by their underarms. When I booked my trip, I asked if i could bring anything with me from the states since I only had one bag and could have brought two. With the advent of the Internet, it would have been quite easy to find out if one of our local marine stores had a ladder (even if a temporary one). I would have been happy to pick it up and bring it-either pre-paid by them or paid by me and credited to my account.

They originally only had two nights available of the three we requested, but my call the day before to confirm our arrival informed us that they had a cancellation- Kelly offered to call the other property (the Island House) and handled the cancellation for me-which was gracious on both her part and on the part of the Island House. We will definitely remember that. This service was completely negated when I found out upon checkout that the nightly rate was higher for three nights than for two. An adjustment was made only after I complained, which was the right thing to do but was awkward and unpleasant to have to do right before leaving.
In all, I would return to Bohio again and armed with the knowledge from this trip it will be an even better experience.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2006

Stayed in Bohio in October last year. Very friendly people with great dive operation. House reef excellent and the scooters really maximize what you can see when snorkelling or diving! Lots of Turtles and Rays, plus the odd baby shark.
The food was excellant and the bar was a great place to hang out... In fact it was the only place on the island with bar, resto, diving, sailing and accom all in the same place.
Planning to go back in Q1 2006 to see the humpback whales!

• Stayed October 2005
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2006

Had a really great week of Caribbean beach life while at Bohio Resort. Small well run hotel, fabulous food from Zev the chef, and ultra friendly staff who are very knowledgeable on everything from the area plus also diving and other watersports. The main attraction is the great wall diving along the Columbus trench, which is located as close as 300m offshore. But the beach is also a great place to hang-out, plus excellent deep sea fishing from their twin hull motorboat.
Located on the best beach on Grand Turk (Pillory Beach), and formerly known as Pillory Beach Resort until the recent new owners have given it a make-over.
Every night is some form of entertainment on the small island in the form of the locals congregating at one of the local spots for music and dance. All essentially within walking distance of each other.

Been to Bohio Dive Resort? Share your experiences!