“Fun, fun, fun!” 5 of 5 stars

macon, ga
42 attraction reviews
“Fun, fun, fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I grew up riding horses, but my husband and son were novice riders. Didn't matter. We all had a great time. What an experience to ride on the beach, in the water and take in the beautiful views and crystal clear water. Just a fun experience all the way around.

Upon arriving in port, we walked out of the gate of the parking lot to meet our driver, who incidentally was the owner, a super nice guy. During the short drive to the stable, he told us about his business and about his "second chance" horses.

We were paired with horses according to our ability level and given instructions and were off. Our guides were very helpful and respectful, and were concerned first and foremost for our safety. We were especially impressed with them as they were teenage boys. We could tell that the owner (I wish I could remember his name) was not only rescuing these horses, but teaching these kids life skills.

Great time all the way around. The only thing I didn't really enjoy was riding back in the wet saddle- but what else can you do when you ride a horse in the ocean?!

Visited December 2012

South Florida, Florida
6 attraction reviews
“AMAZING! Don't pass up this tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

BACKGROUND:

I am an experienced rider and have had the chance to ride in stunning locations like Costa Rica, Peru, Ireland, and in over 30 states in the USA. I've been riding since I was 6 years old and this horseback riding experience was the best I've ever had. I highly recommend this tour company for both beginner and experienced riders.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH SUNSET RIDES AND TOURS:

I was travelling with my father on a cruise ship during the holidays and we wanted to go horseback riding in Grand Turk after seeing all of the photos of people swimming with horses in the ocean. We looked into booking it with the cruise ship, but it looked like their tour was a nose-to-tail, strict, no fun ride. So we looked at outfitters outside the cruise ship port to ride with and came across Sunset Rides and Tours. After a few emails and confirmations, we were set for a 2 hour private ride.

When we arrived to Grand Turk, it was very easy to find the van driving us to the horses. It was waiting for us when we came out and everything was very professional. The driver gave us a brief description of the island as we passed wild cattle and donkeys. When we reached the horses, we met our guide and were given horses that matched our level of experience. The guide ensured that we knew how the horses were trained and how to best communicate with them and then we were off.

The ride itself was amazing. The guide asked us what we were comfortable with, since a lot of the guests enjoy a walking ride. We said we wanted to canter and gallop and he gladly obliged. The horses were in terrific shape and we were able to canter and gallop for the majority of our ride, along trails, beaches, and beside wild cattle and donkeys. We were also able to swim with the horses and our guide even gave us some history about the island.

OVERALL:

I highly recommend Sunset Rides and Tours. This is a great alternative to riding on a cruise ship horseback excursion and is wonderful for beginner and experienced riders alike.

Visited December 2012
Helena, Montana
“Highly recommend Sunset Rides & Tours over the cruiselines!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My friend and I booked a horseback riding adventure with Sunset Rides & Tours after hearing about them through Cruise Critic. We originally were going to book through our cruiseline, but the tour was full. Thank goodness it worked out that way! My friend and I were the only 2 on the tour so it was very personal. Our tour guide was amazing (I can't remember his name for the life of me! I'm sorry!). After he saw me trying to take a few pictures, he took my camera from me and snapped tons of pictures for us! Like our own photographer :) He was also very personable and knowledgeable about the island. Neither my friend nor I had ridden a horse in years, and he matched us with a couple of easy going horses and went over the basics with us as a refresher. Our horses were very well behaved and knew exactly where to go. We rode down a trail for awhile, then down the beach, then another trail and then to the beach where we were able to get in the water with our horses. He gave us as much time as we wanted hanging out on the beach and swimming with our horses. Never felt the least bit rushed. After swimming, we headed back and dropped our horses off on the beach, and our tour guide went back for our belongings. We had a great experience and very highly recommend them over the cruise line!!

Visited November 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
“One of the best excursions I have been on!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I contacted Sunset tours via email about a week before our cruise. The horseback riding excusion was full on carnival, so I chose to book this one independently. He took my name and said he would pick us up at the cruise terminal gate when our ship arrived. Initially it was a little difficult to locate him. We found the information booth outside of the shops and asked for help. She had his cell phone number and called to make sure he was on his way. You do have to walk to the port gate (ask the information booth attendant where to go), because apparently only Carnival excursions are allowed to enter the gates, so that's why we had to meet him outside. We waited 5-10 minutes and he arrived. Since we were the only people who booked his tour, he picked us up in his personal truck, so don't be surprised if this happens, but we felt completely safe the entire time! We drove about 5 minutes to his farm. The horses were ready and waiting for us. Both my husband and I each had our own guide. They took us completely around the island and asked us what we wanted to do. Very flexible. We rode for nearly 2.5 hours. It was wonderful. The horses were well behaved and knew exactly where to go. We took a trail ride and the beach ride, which was great because you got to see the entire island. On the way back to the ship, the owner had extra time so he gave us a tour of the island for free! If you want a true grand turk experience and want to support the island, instead of the cruise ships, this tour is for you! I would definitely go again!!

Visited September 2012
Albany, Georgia
7 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Horseback ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Save your cruise money and book with these guys. Longer trail time and its just your private group and we were the only ones on the beach they took us too. Our group of 4 adults 5 teens were picked up in two vehicles outside of the terminal. Arrived at the horse location, all horses were saddled up and waiting for us. Only three of us had riden before, no worries here all the horses were matched to our size and experience. We probably could have rode them blind folded, the horses knew where to go. The beach ride was so much fun, riding in the water with the horses so cool!!! Lots of handlers rode with us and assisted those who were nervous. Thank you so much Sunset for all the fun. Email them with any questions, they will get back to you soon. Even though we did there was no pressure to tip like so of the other excursions we've been on. They are located really close to the pier so you wont miss the boat.

Visited July 2012