“I felt that I didn't get the comfort and security which I anticipated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Thistle Hotel

You added Golden Thistle Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Thistle Hotel
2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Store Bay Road | Crown Point, Scarborough, Tobago   |
trinidad
“I felt that I didn't get the comfort and security which I anticipated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

I spent two nights at Golden Thistle Hotel with my husband, my teenage daughter and three year old son. The place was less than comfortable as the room which we got had an old noisy air condition unit with no remote as such I found myself having to get off the bed at 2:00a.m. to adjust the temprature and I at that time was 6 months pregnant. The room had no microwave which I felt was deliberate to encourage guests to purchase food from their inhouse restaraunte. The glass enclosure of the bathroom was very dirty and in 2010 my family had to mix the water in the shower manually. The pool was horrible... it looked like a habitat for fishes and turtles...I really didn't like the hotel and certainly won't be going there again. The staff was pleasant but not enough to compensate for the poorly maintained compound.

• Stayed April 2010
Goldenthistle, Manager at Golden Thistle Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2010
Thank you for your candid response. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately, our Pool was down for a while, with the water shortage. However, our pool is back up and looks inviting. None of our rooms have microwaves in them. We offer them to rent if our guests are interested and usually our guests who have small children enjoy this facility. We are glad that our staff were pleasant. We take pride in our service. We have noted your comments and have addressed immediately. We trust that we will have another opportunity to serve you in the future!!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Caribbean
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My family and I stayed at the Golden Thistle Hotel for 4 nights in March, it was not worth the cost at all. The room was definately too small for a family of 3 with one king size bed and not even a chair or dining area inside, we practically sat on the bed to eat at times. Though the room was cleaned daily, no one seem to be cleaning the pool which looked cloudy all the time and you could see human hair and insects floating around, as a matter of fact my daughter went swimming in the pool the day we arrived and the same night she started itching all over, by the next morning she broke out in a rash on her hands, neck and back. I must say though that the staff are very friendly but the next time I visit Tobago I will definately not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My husband and I spent a week researching hotels in Crown Point and booked at Golden Thistle based on availability and after reading reviews of previous visitors. We were skeptical at first given we've never heard of the place; and our skepticism was warranted!!

The hotel is practical, no frills and not worth the price when considering the rates for other upgraded hotels in the Crown Point area. The hotel may appeal to couples or young groups but if you're in need of more than just a place to sleep, then Golden Thistle is not for you!!

Some sore points of our otherwise fantastic time in Tobago.....
-the only restaurant in the hotel is closed at 4pm
-there is insufficient parking for guests, for several nights we parked in a vacant lot outside of the hotel where sheep were being tethered, there was filth everywhere!!
-the linens and towels were clean but tattered
-the pool is uninviting and in need of some work, it appears peeled
-the kitchen utensils need replacing, they are quite dainted and appear well-used.
-there were swarms of mosquitoes which made it impossible for us to sit in the patio and take-in the fresh air outside. Citronella candles are a must.

The level of customer service is great though!! Staff are quite friendly and provide quick resolve.

Whilst we had a fantastic weekend in Tobago, we will not be returning to Golden Thistle.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Gasparillo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

The Golden Thistle is an unprepossessing jewel. This humbly superb hideaway is nestled a short walk from Store Bay and can be summed up like this: great people, great food, great service, great price! It is easy to get from here to anywhere else on the island. Staff is friendly and courteous, helpful too - in a local, warm, family way. You'd love it! The rooms are practical, comfortable and clean. Meals can be ordered with a local twist or to suit a continental palette. All in all, a wonderful place to stay. I had offers to stay elsewhere, but I am so glad that I chose the Golden Thistle.
( I learnt as well that very special things have been known to have their origins at the Golden Thistle. I have had a firsthand experience that this is true!)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Goldenthistle, Ast. Manager at Golden Thistle Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2010
Thanks for your Review Amberjjoy! We are humbled by your kind and profound words. We are so glad that you enjoyed the place and hope that our magic will continue to infect other people. We enjoy the homestyle hospitality we offer and look forward to seeing you again some time in the near future!. Our aim to have everyone feel that little bit of magic that Golden Thistle brings to Crown Point in Tobago!...
Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

We had a great stay christmas time. Perfect location a very short walk from the 2 best beaches in Tobago. Very friendly and helpful staff and the owners personnally looked after us. It was cool that they put on an new years even bar-b-que at the pool side.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Goldenthistle, Ast Manager at Golden Thistle Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
Thank you for your review! We enjoyed helping you and your family ring in the year with a wonderful BBQ. It was our pleasure. We hope to see you again!
Lillesand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Nice and quiet place, they have a nice pool, rooms are clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Good location in Crown Point, close to restaurants/bars/shops/car rentals/beaches, etc. Will definately stay here again if I'm going to Crown Point.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Goldenthistle, Ast. Manager at Golden Thistle Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
Thank you for your review!. We at the Golden Thistle aim to help you make your stay as complete as possible. We are glad we were of help! Our location is perfect for a good base to explore this wonderful island. We look forward to your next visit!.
POS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

Been there 4 times with my family (with kids)... Good value for money, efficient & friendly staff

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Golden Thistle Hotel? Share your experiences!