Going to this resort is probably the biggest holiday mistake that we’ve ever made. Despite reading other posts on this site we decided to try to give Turtle Beach a try.
Initial impressions on arrival were actually quite good. Despite what we had read the front desk staff were friendly and helpful and the porter, Aubrey, was especially pleasant. Initial impression of our rooms was also favourable but that was when it all started to go wrong.
While we were settling in we found several minor faults with the room. Some of these were quickly rectified but not all.
Later, when we returned from dinner, we found that one of the bathrooms had an infestation of flying ant type insects (probably 40-50 in number) which we dealt with ourselves and that one of the pillows had a red wine type mark on it. Despite calling the Duty Manager to the room he failed to offer solutions to either problem. The following morning, after a restless nights sleep, we found that the mattresses were pretty disgusting as well.
Disappointed with the standard of the food at dinner and the generally indifferent attitude of the staff at both bars and in the restaurant, we decided at this point that we could not stay in this resort any longer than was absolutely necessary and started making arrangements to move to another resort.
We did speak to the deputy manager, Wesley, who tried desperately hard to right the wrongs but at this point we just wanted to move. He was actually a credit to his company unlike his manager who was just as indifferent as many of his employees. Whilst I understand that we were complaining about his resort and negotiating for a refund we stayed courteous and friendly throughout, even offering to discuss our problems with him, but he wasn’t interested.
I realise that you get what you pay for in this world but even at these prices you should expect better. We have happily stayed at resorts that are said to be in need of a “lick of paint and TLC” before but this place is in serious decline with peeling paint, leaking rooves on stairwells, shabby wiring in public areas to name but a few. Fortunately for others, we are told that this resort is closing in September for renovations so maybe it will be become a better bet in the future although we won’t be returning.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.