“Terrible service; no restaurant; Lots of bugs - stay somewhere else” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Canoe Bay Beach Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Canoe Bay Beach Resort to your Saves list
Canoe Bay Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Cove Estate | Lowlands, Tobago   |
Ranked #70 of 93 Specialty Lodging in Tobago
Whitby, Canada
“Terrible service; no restaurant; Lots of bugs - stay somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Visited Canoe Bay in late May 2012, took my family. The place had bush all around. Very secluded! I booked two rooms for six people and they were a block apart (through bush) from each other and there was no lighting at night between the two. Lots of sandflies biting everyone because of the bush. The two bedrooms are airconditioned but the rest of the place is not. It was very hot. No working restaurant. No place to get food within walking distance. I asked the staff to get our rooms closer together and they said sure if I paid $390 more per night. The fridge in the room did not work. I then told them that I would be moving since I could not get my rooms closer to each other and I had only used one room since they were so far apart. They refused to give me back my deposit. They said that the deposit was not refundable.

Save your money and stay somewhere else. They look like they are getting ready to go under. They do not have a working restaurant and there is no place within walking distance to eat.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Caribbean
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I read a lot of good reviews about Canoe Bay Resort Tobago so I decided to book there for my family vacation which was scheduled at the end of July 2011...I paid my deposit in May and confirmed my reservation or so I thought. The first week in July I called Canoe Bay Resort as I was enquiring about some details of the room, at that time I was told that I should cancel my reservation as the owners of the resort had booked a conference at the resort on the same weekend that I had made my reservation, I was also told that the staff were trying to contact me to inform me of this new arrangement and could not reach my cell, however there were NO missed calls to my cell phone from the resorts telephone numbers. I went ahead and canceled my booking and thankfully I was able to get accommodation at another resort. Canoe Bay did refund my deposit but in future I will book somewhere else and save myself the trouble.

Room Tip: check the online reviews before you book and don't book at Canoe Bay resort Tobago
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

This place was recommended 2 us so we gave it a try.It is a very lonely and dark at night...taxi drivers calls it a hole. The pool is deep even for adults and there are no lights around it at night. The place is swamped with huge attacking mosqitoes. The rooms are not equipt with microwave,drinking glass,coffee cups ect. The television did not work so not entertainment at night and u cant go out doors because of the bitting insects. The nearby beach is very calm and inviting except for the occational seaweed you will step on in the water.I did not have a good time here an am sure you wont..so mmake better arrangement and stay someplace better...............

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I am a Trinidadian and I tok my family for a weekend getaway last month to Tobago. We stayed at Canoe Bay and we loved it! It was the first beach that I went to where I did not have to worry about the children bathing in the sea and we never felt in danger. In fact what we loved most about the place was that it was very secluded but we felt safe. The only thing that I would recommend is that they provide restaurant facilities because it is a long ways walk rom the road. Other than that, we enjoyed out time there and we are going back at the end of august

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

This place has nice size rooms and a private beach, with not to much guest. The facilites of the pool, not hotel savy, its an above ground pool with lots of bushes around it. The lighting in the villas are not the best, its has glass doors which is not to safe for the area. The road to go in is a gravel road and very lonely (2miles with no street lights), the entrance to the hotel is very unwelcoming, please don't go at night because you may not find anyone to check into your room. There is no security and there was robbery while we were staying there whereby the couple from the England lost their passports monies and some other valuables. There is not breakfast or lunch facilites unless you let them know in advance, most times its to their convience. The price we paid for this place you could find a much more save and convient spot for the price. I would not recommend this spot (hotel) at all.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Devon, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

We visited Canoe Bay Resort at the end of a fabulous holiday in Tobago with a view to booking apartments there for a family trip next year. We made it clear that we wished to look around first and then we intended to stay at the beach for the morning so would come across to pay the older gentleman on duty at the pay desk. We were shown around very courteously by the young lady on reception. We found the double room suites to be very dark and certainly not luxurious as described on the brochure. We then walked over the lawns to have a look at the facilties including the pool and beach. There was a small pool which was above ground with a very small wooden deck tacked on one end We were the only persons in sight apart from one couple already on the beach and in full view still of the pay desk. We stood back from the beach to take in the view before heading towards the pay desk which was at the bar to pay entrance for the morning. At this stage the elderly gent started waving angrily at us to come over to him which we did with the intention of paying. We explained to him that we had just been looking which he already knew anyway. (Our beach bags and swimsuits were still in the car at this stage). He then became very unfriendly and said we had to pay right now and that we had no right to walk over towards the beach. Even though we explained again what we had been doing he then said they had enough people staying there without needing our clientele – at this stage I might add we are a couple in our late fifties with our adult daughter accompanying us. He told us the owner was nearby and we spoke to him. Unfortunately even though we explained what we were doing to him he was just as unfriendly and basically said that if we crossed the lawn towards the beach it was not allowed and no photos were allowed either.

Does this establishment want guests?! This was our first experience of an unfriendly and frankly antagonistic Tobagonian and it was very upsetting and disappointing. Up to that point we were very interested in staying but nothing would entice us back there to stay now, or even visit the beach. Neither would we recommend it to anyone else from the UK as who wants to be treated the way we were?

Stayed March 2008

Been to Canoe Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!