“Dont stay here...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Maraval
Washington DC
“Dont stay here...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I read the reviews, they were bad. I called the hotel and was assured that they fixed the problems. I arrived and my heart sank when I saw the property...the desk clerk was sitting outside when we arrived and did not attempt to move until we asked if anyone was working.

the room had 1 key and for the door and when we asked for another one we were told no. the pillows in the beds did not match and the pillow cases were short dingy and wrinkled.

This place is the worst.Period

Room Tip: dont stay here period.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Watford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Check -in was not bad but after that it was awful. I inquired about taxi service, the lady at the front desk said she would organize a taxi and call the room, she saw my sister-in -law downstairs and told her the taxi was arranged. In the morning there was no taxi booked and the poor lady who had taken over the shift was most confused as to how to help us.Then there was no pressure in the shower, plus the shower head was awful. Then they tried to stiff us out of getting our key deposit money. POOR SERVICE + THIEVES.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Checking in was not a bad experience however that about ends any good experience I had at this hotel.
On the first evening shortly after check in the a/c was not powering on after many visits to the front desk they finally sent the repair man who literally taped the vents open!! Also apparently a big hotel like this only has one clothes iron on its premises and my girlfriend had to wait over 4 hours for the current user to return to the front desk before she could have gotten to use it.
On awaking the first morning of our stay we found our bathroom starting to flood unsure if the leak was from the toilet or sink. We reported it to the front desk as we would have been out for the day only to arrive back at the hotel very late to find the bathroom still under water.
The second morning we woke up to the same situation and again reported it to front desk and house keeping before leaving on our return again the bathroom under water but we now had pools of water under both beds. We called and visited the front desk to ask if house keeping can assist with mopping up the mess!! We were told someone would be up... We waited for 2 hours and no one showed up. In addition to this the shower started to clog and we had to wait nothing less than 15 mins after each person showered.
Next morning we vacated the room as soon as we awoke.
Upon check out we decided to let the front desk know how unhappy we were. Especially that no one showed up to mop the floor only to be told by the housekeeper present that she did get the call the previous night but she was "too tired" to come clean a floor and so went to sleep.
These ppl had to be crazy don't ever stay here no matter how desperate you may be!!

• Stayed March 2014
susan345, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Palm Suite Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
On investigating this complaint, we discovered the following:
1. The a/c was working but the vent was was facing downwards. As the vent seemed to have a problem staying open, the repair man did put clear tape to keep the vent open as permanently fixing same was not an option during the carnival period when all hardware shops were closed.
2. The hotel has a few irons but due to the high occupancy at that time, irons were in high demand and a wait was necessary.
3. The toilet float was stuck and caused some water around the toilet. This guest was booked to stay for three days; Sunday; Monday and Tuesday. I enquired from housekeeping who cleaned the room whether water was under the beds in the bedroom or if there was water on the bathroom floor to the extend as reported and 4 persons verified that this was not correct. Perhaps there was a bit of exaggeration in this report?
4. Staff did work late into the night. The carnival period is always a stressful one and people do get tired, but I apologise for the housekeeper who truthfully said she was tired. She should not have said it.
5. I implore you NOT to stay at the hotel due to desperation. We have tried our best under a stressful period . If the guest was not satisfied , he/she should have asked to speak to management . (incidentally, the room was booked for 3 ladies staying in the room).
6. I tried calling Ms Manmohan today on her cell phone, but she did not pick up. I left a message but she has not returned the call.
Port of Spain, Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Where shall I begin?! Although check-in took about half an hour due to a malfunctioning computer (which the hotel should upgrade), I did not mind much at that point because the guy checking us in was rather pleasant.

My first issue arose later on in the evening. At check-in we were told that the pool does not close. On arrival at the pool area, there was a sign up stating that the pool hours were 9am to 9pm. However, at about 7:30pm, the pool was shut off and we were told by security that the pool is closed and needed to be vacated until morning. This was a bit upsetting but again, we decided to let it slide.

The following morning we headed to pool only to be greeted with dead cockroaches and other dead insects in the pool along which a few pierce of garbage (I guess it is cleaned later in the afternoon???) and who I assume was a member of the ground staff (possibly gardener) with a terrible attitude.

We were told on several occasions by security and the gardener to keep quiet in the pool (mind you we were with children) while the pool occupants on the previous day and the evening of our departure were also very loud and was told nothing.

Half an hour prior to our departure from the hotel (11:30am), our door was knocked by security stating "I came to remind you that check out time is 12 o'clock and if we are not by the desk at 12 o'clock we will not get our deposit back." It should be noted, that the stated check-out time was 12 noon. At check-in, we were not told that it is the hotel's policy to hold deposits if a guest is not at the front desk at exactly 12 noon. (I have NEVER experienced this at any other hotel within or outside of Trinidad and Tobago). There is apparently no grace period.

I was disgusted by the level of service received by the individual checking us out.

1. Instead of picking up the phone to give the reminder as is the custom everywhere else, she sent the security?!

2. She began raising her voice at us and the guy who checked us in, in our presence with children present (at the check-in counter). I would think any hotel employee (or anyone in the service industry on a whole) would know this is a definite no-no.

3. She refused to refund our deposit although we were there at exactly 12 noon. It took a call to the owner for the refund to be made.

On the plus side, everything you would possibly need during your stay is within walking distance and the employee checking us in was friendly. The room was also clean and additional towels were provided on request.

Essentially, had I not had this encounter with that particular employee who was at the front desk at the time of check-out, I may have considered returning to Royal Palm Suite Hotel. I highly recommend that she be sent for customer service training before more guests are lost at her hands. The hotel needs some renovations and to be upgraded but my biggest turn-off was that particular employee

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
susan345, Public Relations Manager at Royal Palm Suite Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Hello: I am sorry to see that you had such a poor customer service experience. Firstly the computer mouse had a problem which was fixed (replaced) within a few hours. I apologise for the staff member in question. The problem has since been addressed.
I believe that other guests in the hotel were complaining about the level of noise your party was making and that was why the security asked you on several occasions to keep the noise level down.
As you will appreciate, the hotel is for the quiet enjoyment of ALL guests and we must be mindful and considerate for others as well. This is a good lesson for children especially.

I thank you for your patronage and hope you will return again.
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We'd seen the poor reviews before booking here (through no alternative), but made the hotel aware of this in advance by email, and challenged them to prove otherwise, and whether this is what made the difference, we'll never know, but our room facing the pool/pharmacy was totally acceptable. We stayed in 5 places in T&T over 3 weeks, and this was no better or worse. Yes, all of them could have done with some modernisation or maintenance, but the bed here was firm and the sheets clean; the shower was clean with new soap and with decent water pressure; clean towels were provided, unbidden, after 2 days, and the room door locked securely...and we certainly didn't see any cockroaches.

On the downside, it took a painfully slow 20 minutes to check-in (with no queue); the pillows were a bit bobbly; the curtains could do with being much thicker to block out daylight, the TV reception was dire (we wanted to watch Carnival highlights etc), and we too took great exception to be charged $5TT per minute for phone calls and $20US for WiFi (your business clients might want to download files, but us Carnival goers just want to check emails and Google a few things). The room cost was excessively high, but who wouldn't crank up the prices with one of the world's greatest parties on their doorstep?

The location is good for Carnival, and we never felt unsafe, even when walking home at night. There is a supermarket and pharmacy right opposite, and we could easily flag down a taxi or maxi-taxi when we weren't walking. Overall we were pleasantly surprised with our stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nassau, New Providence Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was most embarrassed to bring my foreign friends to this hotel during the Carnival. Firstly one of our rooms wasnt ready by check in...it took them more than four hours before it was available to us, because they were in the process of "cleaning it". When we got to the rooms it was absolutely disgusting with dead cockroaches under the bed, the sink and bathroom were not cleaned and there was old soap still in its place. The water pressure was low in the shower and it took them two days to address the problem after multiple requests. The bathroom door could not close so we had to hold the door shut while using the toilet. They also gave us the wrong type of beds , which apparently was a problem other guests had. On top of this noone came to clean the bathrooms in the three days we stayed there! I am a very frequent traveller and i dont always stay in the best of hotels...but this is on another level...they should be shut down! and i wouldnt recommend this hotel even to the desperate of travellers!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
susan345, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Palm Suite Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
I believe CRichards and B Lee may be referring to the same room as that is the only room we have on the property with an old toilet. I am sorry that you got that room, but the hotel was very full at the time of your stay. We have since changed that toilet set.
We had 200 persons check out of the hotel earlier that day and housekeeping was under a lot of stress to get all the rooms cleaned on time. Check-ins were definately delayed. as we also had no shows in the housekeeping department as well. This has been rectified as those staff members are no longer part of our team
If the guests who said that they did not get their rooms cleaned, then surely they could have called the front desk and request someone to clean their rooms rather than waiting 3 days and complaining on trip advisor! That is riduculous!
The previous guests may have left food crumbs around and that attracted the roach. This is the tropics and one does not eat and leave food crumbs around. As a general rule we do not have roaches on the compound.
The previous group of 200 persons, left the rooms extremely dirty and it took time to clean them given that people were also checking in at the same time.
The dirty tub must be as a result of this guest's own body paint from the carnival.
The water pressure was a bit low but that was because of the strain put on the entire plumbing system when most of the guests on the compound were all taking baths around the same time. The water tanks and pumps were working at capacity and the guest was asked to wait for 10 minutes to let the water pressure build up.
There was maintenance on the compound to fix any problems in the rooms had the front desk been notified.
I have not idea what "type of beds" the guest is referring to. They booked for a quad room and were told from inception that there would be 2 queen sized beds in each room.. The previous group had 6 persons staying in the room and we put in 2 additional single beds in the suite. Thus the guests got more beds than they originally contracted for. If they wanted to have the additional beds removed, they could have requested same.
Elkton, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here because it was the only hotel on the island that still had available rooms for Carnival 2013. Now I know why. This hotel was THE WORST I've ever stayed in!. I stayed 3 nights and housekeeping never cleaned the room. There was still trash in there from the previous guest. The water was intermittent, the telephone in my room didn't work and the front desk had the nerve to charge me to use their phone. The restaurant never opened the entire time I was there. I asked to talk to the manager to discuss the deplorable conditions and he was never available - FOR 3 DAYS! The rest of the staff sat around talking and watching TV and acted as if the guests were intruding on their time when asked for anything.

Room Tip: Get a room at some other hotel. If all are sold out, sleep in your rental car rather than stay here...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
I must say that I have no idea what this guest is speaking about.
Firstly all telephone lines were closed for the carnival period because of the difficulty to manage the telephone charges for guests sharing the same room. Guests were told that for the period they would have to pay for telephone charges up front before making a call.
All guests were sent letters of confirmation where they were told prior to their arrival that the wifi had a cost of $100 TTD (less than $16.00 usd) for unlimited use of the internet for their entire stay.
No promise was made to give anyone breakfast and to open one of the restaurants on the compound as opposed to another. There were several eating places on the compound that were open. Buccaneer's Cove restaurant only opened to cater for large groups at that point in time.

If there was a problem to have your room cleaned, then you could have telephoned the front desk and ask for service. Some guests specifically requested no service. Some asked for late service. People who slept very late were told that housekeeping hours finished at 6pm and fresh towels could be collected at the frontdesk. However, housekeeping staff was on the compound after hours and you could have requested to have the room cleaned.

I would like to know where you saw staff sitting around and watching TV because I was on the compound the entire period and I saw staff working. What TV? Where? Please enlighten me.

I believe that your problem was not wanting to pay for the internet, then you made everything a problem, including the uncalled for remark about the restaurant. Who promised to open one restaurant as opposed to another?

Been to Royal Palm Suite Hotel? Share your experiences!