“Wedding at Chaconia” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chaconia Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maraval
Chaconia Hotel
Save Saved
You added Chaconia Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   106 Saddle Road | Port of Spain, Maraval, Trinidad   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Maraval
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Wedding at Chaconia”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Me and my husband had our wedding at Chaconia Hotel and we were disappointed with the experience, service and handling of preparations by Chaconia Hotel. We often found ourselves renegotiating matters already settled and agreed upon. It is clear that there is a lack of communication and general knowledge shared among managerial staff which was evident by the mixed information provided.

Over the course of a few months we have met with a variety of the staff. We always confirmed what was discussed and agreed after every meeting either through a follow-up phone call or email. On numerous occasion we were denied arrangements that were initially promised and the explanation always seemed to cast blame on those that departed (quit/fired). There was a change in price from what was initially agreed for the food/beverages.

In addition, all my guests complained about the quality of the food, as well as the small amount that was served. Aslo, the menu was not the same that we agreed upon prior to the wedding date.

We were suppose to have a plated dinner, however, Chaconia did not have the staff necessary to execute our plated service, so other ppl like the decorators, and family had to fulfill this request for us.

Though the wedding package came with a free night for the bride and groom, the room was very dusty and the A/c was not working.

Generally, we decided to have our special day at Chaconia because of the offers, price and agreements we made with Chaconia Management from the beginning, and we felt as time passed after payments were made, some decisions were challenged and attempted to modify. There were times we felt ignored as we called and emailed for weeks without a response. Unfortunately, our trust in Chaconia was often broken and we constantly had to reconfirm decisions and at times struggle to get our initial agreement re-approved.

My intent to respond in such length is not to bash the hotel but to be brutally honest with our experience. I do believe the Hotel actually has a lot of promise but it can only reach its pinnacle if certain measures are put in place especially in reference to management and customer service. Once again, we do Thank You for hosting our wedding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Well booking i did over the phone 2 weeks in advance without a credit card,then on the day my husband and i arrived to celebrate our anniversary. we spent 1 night the room was comfortable, cable television, iron, small fridge, those 2 things came in handy, we just wanted the peace and quiet and we got that, we could not get room service because the chef had a meeting to go to so we ordered pizza for dinner and went down stairs to collect it. Breakfast was not at 6am as advertised but at 7.30am but it was ok and fulling there was sausages,bacon,saltfish,lipton tea,coffee, orange juice and wholewheat bread. The hotel isn't fancy but comfortable and we had some nice quiet alone time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Its a nice hotel not fancy neither is it distasteful the all inclusive breakfast was the same choices for 2 days same for dinner and lunch which taste good though but I think there should be more choices. The staff was helpful especially the chef/manager and the waitress in the dining room. The pool needs cleaning it was dirty ...all in all it was a good experience and close to all the amenities.
Tip take advantage of the local and foreign weekend special other than that pay extra and stay some where classier if you prefer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

My husband and I spent 6 days at the Chaconia Hotel from August 20 – 26, 2011. This was my second trip to the Chaconia. Our trip was primarily business related for the 6 days we were there. Once the business portion was completed, we spent 4 additional days at Coconut Cove Resort in Manzanilla. I’ve reviewed that resort separately. Just our luck, we arrived one day prior to the Government instituting a nightly curfew from 9 pm – 5 am.

Chaconia, like a good friend, looked the same as on a prior visit. I cannot say enough about staff like Natalie, who were so helpful. We’d requested a first floor king room, however, when we arrived we were shown to a king room on the upper level. The a/c had been off for some time so we were told to “give it some time”. We did, yet two hours later, we were still sweating it out. We could not adjust the temp below 18 degrees. That room was also ridiculously dark – I mean, I could barely see to read a book dark.

I finally called down to the front desk and asked that we be moved because of a health condition. Natalie and another staffer came up to move us. We were moved down to room 404 – a first floor king. This room was brighter and had some cosmetic issues (the ceiling had a leak that they had tried unsuccessfully to fix previously), but it was not a deal breaker. At least, the a/c in that room was working perfectly.

The Room
Our room had the usual – king bed, mini fridge, TV, table, chair, lounge chair, safe (need to pay a deposit to use), closet. We had a small patio with two chairs. The Internet worked perfectly. Our TV was fine. And of course, the a/c was kicking in this new room. A continuing concern was that with two adults in the room, each day we were left with one washcloth and on our last day, no washcloth at all. When toilet paper was out we received one roll with no backup. There was no facial tissue in the room during our stay.

Meals
Our rate included the daily breakfast. On the Sunday after we arrived the breakfast was ample and varied – fried bakes, sausage, eggs, smoked herring, buljol, pastry, fruit, juice, coffee, tea etc. However, on each subsequent day there were fewer items (because of lower occupancy I suspect). On our last 3 days we were told that breakfast was ala carte. Interestingly enough we had only a few choices – toast, bacon and sausage. They invariably arrived cold, so apparently no one took the time to twirl it around the microwave. Having learned the ropes, in the last two days of our stay my husband finally started requesting “hot food” and his food arrived hot.

Because of the limited breakfast choices I resorted to utilizing the services of the doubles man who had a tent across the road from Chaconia. Not the best doubles I ever had, but it was a hot meal.

On our second night we decided to order a meal from room service. I was told that the chef had an emergency and had left but would return. Apparently, he never returned that night. On subsequent nights (probably because of the prior night’s experience or because of the curfew), the front desk would call each night to inquire whether we planned to order dinner. After saying no each night, we decided to order on Wednesday. I placed an order for a burger and fries and got a call back, the restaurant had no burgers. Irony at its best, I guess.

Internet
The Internet in our room worked fine. Chaconia offers an Internet café with one computer and no printer downstairs off the lobby. I found out the hard way on our last day that in order to print an urgently needed document, I would have to email it to a staff member to have it printed. After a half hour delay, the document finally reached the Chaconia staffer and she was able to print it for me. Please keep this in mind if you would need to print boarding passes.

Location etc
Chaconia is located on Saddle Road in Maraval. This time around we hired a driver for the entire trip. If you’re considering driving in Trinidad as a tourist, I’d say don’t do it. I was born there and we’ve driven there on prior trips, but there is no comparison to having a driver pick you up on your schedule and take you where you need to go. Chaconia is on a well-traveled road and there are taxis available, but having spent hours downtown waiting on a taxi to take me back to the hotel in 2007, lesson learned. For safety and convenience, I’d recommend strongly having a driver. Having done it successfully on this trip, I don’t believe we will go back to driving ourselves. Sure, it cost a bit more for a driver, but for peace of mind, it’s priceless.

Summary
The last time I stayed at Chaconia in 2007, I was awoken by the sounds of the cleaning people either congregating in the hallway chatting or kicking their mop buckets down the tile floor, this time around, the maid arrived not as early and we didn’t hear a peep from her.

Prior to deciding to stay at Chaconia again, we considered other hotel options but since I knew what I would get at Chaconia and the price was affordable, we stuck with it. Since this trip was primarily business-related we decided to spend a bit conservatively. For the convenient location, affordable cost, I believe we made the right choice. Sure, there were a couple issues but none were a deal-breaker for us.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have specific questions. We wish you safe and happy travels.

Room Tip: Try to get a lower level room. Building is warm and there's no elevator.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I booked a stay for my fiancé's birthday and I had my skepticism due to the location but on my arrival the ambiance and the hospitality made me change my mind totally...The room was beautiful well kept the room service was great and it made the occasion memorable...No regrets and hope to be there again soon.....The staff did all they can to ensure that we were pleased and we most certainly was. The food was delicious and the whole experience was worth it ....I 100% recommend this hotel...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

i shoudn't have been staying at this hotel but had a arguement with my boyfriend who lives in trinidad ,so just walked in to get a room ,when i say i walked in i was argueing with my boyfriend at the time,the hotel staff must have thought i was mad!!!anyway just come back from barbados when i ended up staying in this hotel ,the staff here are so friendly and caring couldn't do enough to help me.the hotel is very clean,a bit dated but that was my first time in trinidad so i dont know what other hotels are like there,the breakfast wasn't very good but i did go for breakfast after it was finished so that didn't have to give it me but they did,the guy from the front desk paul was great also was the manager ,the next time i have a arguement with my boyfriend lol lol !!i will stay at this hotel just because the staff are so nice and helpful.and i must say a big thank you to paul for listening to me half the night !!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
port of spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

I booked my brothers and their families into the Chaconia hotel from the 3-11Oct (from germany...four adults and six children). I work in the service industry and am very critical where cleanliness and customer service is concerned. The staff that I met on all occasions was extremely professional and friendly and showed me the rooms for my inspection which included a fridge and safe at no extra cost. The cost per room was under $600TT and included a scrumptious Caribbean style breakfast. A laundry room is available which is important when travelling with small children. The staff from" captain to cook" were wonderful and helpful at all times - they all had a truly wonderful vacation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
catTrinidad, General Manager at Chaconia Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
Thank you for choosing The Chaconia Hotel for your family holiday and it was indeed a pleasure being of service to you and your family.

Clearly your time spent here with us provided sufficient time and opportunity to assess and realize the level of service that we offer and I am indeed pleased that the impact was a positive one.

We certainly hope you would afford us another opportunity to be of service to you in the near future.

Once again, thank you for choosing The Chaconia Hotel

Kindest regards

Been to Chaconia Hotel? Share your experiences!