“Good choice for Port of Spain” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #1 of 21 hotels in Port of Spain
“Good choice for Port of Spain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This government-owned hotel is operated by Hyatt and ideally located for those with government business - T&T parliament is just across the street - but isolated from the downtown area and not located in an area suitable for strolls. Hotel has modern facilities, well-trained staff and spacious rooms. Basic room rate does not include breakfast, internet access (US$ 15 per day) and basic business center usage (US$ 1 to print a page). Buffet breakfast is not generous, with limited choices. Lobby level terrace is great for early evening drinks overlooking the ocean.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms have beautiful view to the ocean. Even-numbered rooms face other buildings and ma...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

689 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The ambiance is wonderful especially at the evening time the sunset is breath taking at the terrence , the staff is also friendly they make you welcome , they are very attentive to you the server Kardene was very nice my wife wanted a nice fruity drink and she recommended the the Island Vibes for her and my wife loved it and I was looking for a drink with local rums and she recommended the Traffic Jam for me which tasted wonderful . She made our time at the lobby bar very welcoming with her pleasant personality . I would definitely if your traveling to Trinidad you stay at the Hyatt regency . We would definitely come back and stay at the Hyatt

• Stayed September 2013
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Excellent hotel situated on the waterfront. Reception very spacious and comfortable, Lovely terrace are but i preferred to sit in aircon inside as it was quite hot! Rooms immaculate and with everything you could need. Even if you forget something they have the convenience collection, check it out online for terms of what you can keep and what you cannot, delivered straight to your room. Staff were of the highest customer service i have experienced, very friendly and nothing was a bother to them. Some even take time to have a chat which is lovely if your travelling on your own so appreciated that! Highest commendations in particular to Christine who was excellent. Restaurant food was good 'naan' bread complimentary and was very good prior to having your main course, and they also had a 'cinnamon' cafe if you fancied a tea or coffee outside of hours, small gift shop also but truly an excellent hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel was a true jewel. The staff were massively friendly and a complimentary free beer on arrival was elixir for the slaked throat. The room was ideal with plenty of space and a large working area. Loads of complimentary stuff and you can order from a list as well. My chambermaid was brilliant and such a smile on her face - it was my daily task to make her laugh! The food was tasty, varied and well presented by yet more attentive and willing staff. It was such a great place to stay for a business trip. I did not need the swimming pool but it was very shallow 3 - 4 feet max and so was more of a plunge bath but it was good to sit around it and relax. Thoroughly recommend this hotel if your budget allows

Room Tip: go for the top two floors if you can. the views are all fabulous
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I along with our two very good friends decided to stay at the Hyatt for a birthday/baby announcement celebration.

Check-in @ 2:55pm was faster than expected. Our suite was ready but not the adjoining room. We agreed to share the suite assuming the other room would be ready in a few minutes since it was past 3pm - standard check in time. We were assured the keys would be brought up to the suite ASAP. Our suite wasn't even thoroughly cleaned, there were crumbs from the previous guest in the sitting room area, hair all over the bathroom and the bedding smelled a bit greasy. An hour later we popped down to check on the progress only to be told it wasn't ready.
We hit the pool for some relaxation but this was impossible. There were screaming babies, diving children, and people smoking. The pool was just way too small to accommodate that crowd. We powered through, ordered one round of cocktails and enjoyed the view for about 45 minutes.
After this we returned to our suite as the other room was still not ready and began preparing for our evening at the Regency Club Lounge. We got a phone call from the pool staff saying we had to return immediately because we failed to sign for the drinks. I would like to make it a point to say that we ordered these drinks as soon as we arrived and no one brought anything for us to sign. We took a quick dip in the pool, rinsed off, packed up our stuff and no one ever brought a bill for us to sign - over a 45 minute period. Yet the staff at the hotel had the audacity to demand(and I use this word because of the tone) we return to the pool to sign off. Why didn't they simply bring it up to our room - since it was their error? We decided to grab something to eat and then stop by the pool area to do the needful because when we called to ask the bill be brought to the room no one answered the phone.
At 5:28pm our room was still not ready. When I asked a young man at the front desk, Aneil to check on the status he rolled his eyes at me and said, "What time was it promised to you?"
I assumed that if check-in is at 3pm, the room which I paid for would be ready at 3pm, nothing too complicated in my logic there. He told us that the room wasn't ready but he couldn't say what time it would be available. We asked what could be done for the inconvenience since we were basically 4 adults using one shower and bathroom area since check-in. I am not kidding, Aneil actually glared at me and didn't respond. He grabbed the phone, made a call and never addressed us again. We were left standing there while he tended to other guests.
After a few minutes I went over to Keisha who was also working the front desk and asked if she could check on the room for me. As she was about to make the call, Aneil stopped assisting the guest in front of him and barked that he had already made the call and the room was being cleaned still. Keisha handled the entire situation very professionally and so I did not lose my temper, but Aneil never communicated this to me.
I ran back to the suite to grab a shawl and the housekeeping cart was just parked outside the adjoining room. I have no idea how much longer we would have had to wait had we not asked Keisha to check on it. She was gracious enough to afford us late checkout but that was hardly compensation for the obtuse and offensive way Aneil dealt with us. He spoiled the mood of the evening and the birthday girl was quite put off. Imagine paying for a suite and being treated as such. We were offered buffet breakfast for our party of 4 which we thought was very kind and considered the possibility even though we were entitled to breakfast at the Regency Club as well.
We returned to the pool after dinner only to discover that at 8:45pm the bar was closed for the evening so we couldn't sign the bill. There was a large local family drinking and being very raucous, their children were running around the wet area and when I looked around for a phone to alert hotel staff I couldn't find one. I was about to dry off and head to the lobby to ask for assistance only to find that there were no clean/ dry towels. When I asked the attendant if he would be bringing more he asked me if I expected it right away. Yes, I actually did want it as soon as possible, I was standing there wet and cold. He eventually did replenish the towels at around 9:45pm and the pool closes at 10pm I believe.
The following morning when we tried to check out the breakfast at the buffet area the host at the restaurant left us standing in the middle of the restaurant while he consulted his supervisor about whether or not breakfast was included in our rate. It would have made more sense to seat us, check on the room details and then inform us whether there would be an additional charge but that would have been too tactful. We left and went back to the Regency Club. Not a bad decision because we were kid-free and peaceful.
Everyone at the Regency Club was so polite and gracious that I almost wish I didn't have to deal with any other area of the hotel. The only slightly off-putting thing there was the employee waited until we came in after 12 on Sunday to grab coffee and turned off the machine and began to clean it before our entire group could get some, so my husband and friend were not able to get coffee because the cleaning process was not a fast one. It just seemed like very odd timing. Why wait until people entire the Club to clean the machine? It should be noted that when we walked in she was sitting at the computer quite relaxed.
While most of the hotel was very well kept and clean it should be noted that the lobby women's bathroom needed a bit more care. For our entire stay there were questionable stains on a stall door that were never cleaned.
Would I recommend the Hyatt - probably not. Apart from these isolated experiences the service was quite good but I do not think that it is too much to expect quality service throughout a weekend stay when booking a suite at a hotel of this calibre.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Well I spent my 28th wedding anniversary at the Hyatt Regency and the service was excellent as usual no complaints there, however I think the management should seriously consider upgrading their furniture and fittings. Our bed was made up like a hospital bed, all in white with no color like the first time we spent there. The decor in the room was a bit brab needed a splash of color for a hotel in the tropics. The pictures on the internet could be very deceiving.

Room Tip: Always choose the ocean view as opposed to the other side which gives a view of the town and traffic...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

You cannot get better service than the Hyatt Trinidad. The rooms are perfectly clean and u to mark..the suites are really nice foe space but the balcony rooms are also very nice. The restaurant has delicious food. Maybe a little pricey but if you are there for just a weekend you would not mind that. The breakfast buffet is always worth it...Hyatt service is really the best thing about it..

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Hyatt Regency Trinidad? Share your experiences!