“Recommended to anyone, after my own experience.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Chancellor Hotel

You added The Chancellor Hotel to your Saves list
The Chancellor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5a Saint Ann's Avenue | Saint Ann's, Port of Spain, Trinidad   |
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Port of Spain
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Recommended to anyone, after my own experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

i stayed at The Chancellor Hotel for two months last year Dec 2011- Jan 2012. i enjoyed the ambiance, and would recommend this hotel to anyone especially if you on a budget stay.

There menu was quite intriguing with both local and International dishes.

Staff members made me feel like home.

Room Tip: higher floors have lessa A/C unit noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
flipsideofacoin, General Manager at The Chancellor Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hi Mr Sammy

Thank you for your response. Let us know how best we can be of service to you in the future.

Thanks
Lisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Checked in, late at night, one person on @ reception desk, Donna, very nice. Two of us on a business trip. Kitchen closed but she made us a sandwich.

Went to my room, tile floor, w 20" tv, two "queen" metal framed beds, old but good mattresses. BR awful, had to wait 10 minutes foor some hot water, half the showerhead clogged. My businees partner in the next room had NO water. Moved to another room.

Next morning found out we were the only ones in the place. Limited selections at all meals, menu says one thing but many ingredients not available.
We asked for fish for breakfast, it was on the menu, but was told not available. We finished and as we were walking out the "help" were eating fish.

No spa, a small clean pool .Advertised as having WIFI but in 4 days we never found it.

An Indian man owns this, tried to call him many times, always UNAVAILABLE.

DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE, it is in a BAD & DANGEROUS AREA. NOTHING CLOSE. We made a terrible mistake.

Room Tip: Nothing close to the gate. It's closed at night, vehicles blow their horns at all hous for acces...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
flipsideofacoin, General Manager at The Chancellor Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hi

I spoke with the organisation that accommodated your stay concerning your issues as you were given a package deal. The rooms offered were our double deluxe rooms which can be intimidatinf for one person and also a hot continental breakfast was included. I must apologise if you were not aware of our breakfast offering, which fish is not included. I realised that my staff was eating her prepared meal in the guest area, and that was dealt with. St Ann's area is not dangerous, however it may have appeared that way due to the recent curfew we had in our country. We are located behind the Prime Minister's residence and has a security camera monitored by police surveillance 24 hours which is not intrusive. Lastly , we operate our utilities on energy saving as we are certifying our property under Earth Check. But this is also another great feature of our social responsibility.

Thanks for your feedback. Will review on how we can make a guest experince worthy.
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

we stayed at this hotel during carnival, when rooms are at a premium, and hotels charge accordingly. but one would at least like to feel that one was getting some kind of value for the money! at least this rate included parking, internet etc - i see from another review that these are probably charged separately at other times.
yes, there was a roof over our heads and a bed (of sorts) for us to sleep on. but the decor is shoddy, the rooms very noisy, partly due to the u.s. motel-style where all rooms open out directly onto an external courtyard, so you can hear everyone passing in front of your door as if they were inside your room; partly due to the music from the bar, which was turned up very high from breakfast time onwards. there was not always hot water. the area around the pool is quite attractive, and definitely preferable to spending time in the sparse, delapidated room!
the food wasn't bad, but took absolutely ages to arrive; even writing a bill took a considerable amount of time. the internet was terrible, having constant issues while we were there - but the system seemed such that it was hard to imagine that it ever worked smoothly.
the one absolute plus about the place was the staff, who were always really lovely.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Madam,

I am aware that this booking was made through a local referral for the Carnival period. It is unfortunate that we were unaware of noise disturbances during your stay. Your comments however were duly noted.
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

i stayed here for my birthday with some friends. from the moment i arrived, the staff were very helpful, pleasant and courteous. they helped us with our bags upstairs extended their services boyond what was reccomended for visitors. the meals were delicious and there was one member staff aka sam who often made items that were not on the menu at our request. he made a special drink called 'sam's cold milo" for us which we had constantly during the day. the pool was colsed at 6pm....but not for us!!! once we obeyed all the rules of the hotel. i had a fantastc birthday. To add to the overall experience, the owners occasionally sat down with us and had drinks. this was an incredible experience

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

Yes it isn't the greatest place on earth, but if you want that, then go stay at the $$$$ Hyatt and stop complaining. Location on the other side of the Savannah to the city, which is great if you want some down time. We were there for Carnival, so needed some down time! Supermarket just up the hill to top up with provisions, but the stars of the hotel are the staff. Couldn't be nicer or more helpful. I would stay again, and I travel all over the world for business. It isn't the Hyatt, but it is a reasonable hotel.

Room Tip: Be polite, and just ask.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I actually had to invent a new word to describe this hotel: nit-pickle-and-dime. After negotiating an acceptable rate, we came into town to find that every room in the hotel had more beds in it than a Prague hostel. The pool is down. Gaps between the walls and the ceiling, AC not working.

The neighborhood scared most of our group. Up the street is a mental hospital that keeps their gate open. I'm a fairly big guy, so it didn't scare me, but the women in our group...

Then came the extra charges: internet (per computer, so my phone and laptop were each costing $12/day), parking, ice, etc. How about a washing machine that runs on tokens that cost more than I would pay to have a load professionally laundered and pressed? The restaurant has the smallest portions on the island and the highest price. And guess what, it ain't very good.

And here is the kicker: I had an accident on the job and had my foot run over. So my last few days there I spent with a foot swollen to the size of a canned ham. The groundskeeper (who knocked on my door 5-6 times a day to ask me for cigarettes) was nice enough to say "a previous guest left a pair of crutches here. They are just sitting in the storage room." Since the hospital didn't supply me any, I gratefully accepted. They were old and falling apart, but it sure beat hopping around. They got me back to the states where I could get a new pair. I thought the hotel had redeemed itself.

That is until 2 months later when a strange charge showed up on my credit card. Called the hotel to find that the charged me $250 for the crutches! Crutches that had a lot of miles on them and were worth $20, tops. At no time did they mention that there would be a charge for them, that they were anything more than an old pair that no one cared about.

Everyone I met in TnT were the kindest, most generous and accommodating people. Except the management of the Chancellor. The greed from these people rivals any I have ever seen.

So don't be fooled. This hotel would be a good find if you were to pay $40/night. But you'll never get that deal, no matter what they say. Go to Alicia's Palace, where I will stay every time I go. See you there!

PS - A room above the restaurant that you can rent for a 10 person meeting, does not equal a conference center.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Belmopam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

As part of the CARICOM Security Contingent for the Fifth Summit of the Americas, 30 Police Officers from the country of Belize lodged at the Chancellor Hotel for seven weeks. It was a very good experience. The hospitality was excellent. We were treated as though we were at home. As a matter of fact, when we learnt about our departure time the whole contingent was SAD. Kudos to The Chancellor Hotel , starting with Mr. Rajif, the manager down to Kaulings, the caretaker. We miss you all and thanks very much for your warm hospitality. We surely will go back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to The Chancellor Hotel? Share your experiences!