“Terrible service” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Mauritius
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A group of 12 went there for my birthday - Some of us got there on time (7.00pm) and were taken really good care of...initially! The restaurant was pretty empty at that time. The waiter came to check on us many times offering advice and stuff. The decor was absolutely stunning and I loved their style. However, the rest of my group was getting late, so those who were there already decided to order. The restaurant was starting to fill up - our food took a long time to reach. Around 8pm, the waiter comes n tells us that we need to be finished by 9pm for the next reservation to take our table! I ordered a chow mein, but what came was a very thin white soupy noodle dish which looked or tasted nothing like chow mein - i complained and asked if this was chow mein - waiter said that is chow mein and it is how it's done at hakka restaurant - i pointed out to him the picture in the menu which looked like how chow mein looks like - but he kept saying that's the right dish on our table. It tasted like crap and I was very disappointed to have that as a meal on my birthday. As the rest of my group joined and ordered, their food took even longer to reach - a drink took 30min to reach - the restaurant was full and it was impossible to get hold of the waiter whenever we needed anything. I tasted some other dishes that my friends had ordered, and those tasted good! It took us almost an hour to get our tables cleaned and for the birthday cake to be brought to the table - another 15min and twice going inside to ask them for plates (napkins) and forks. We ended up leaving at 11.30pm!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The food was great and reasonable and the service was incredible! Love the atmosphere and great place to have a lime. Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Top 1 or 2 in Port of Spain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Hakka is one of my favorites in Port of Spain. Unique, tasty food, nice service. I enjoy the indoor seating but love the outdoor area. Good value for the food. My one note of caution is that there can be confusion with which size portion you are ordering. They offer family-sized portions, but they're not on the menu and servers are real spotty about explaining/understanding what size portion you mean to order. We've had 2 such misunderstandings with servers, once leading to a massive over-ordering by our party,and once to an almost as bad under-ordering. The spice level of dishes also seems to vary a lot, depending on who's the chef that night. Usually it's not too spicy, but then can catch you off guard. Be forceful with them to get what you want and enjoy the food!

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chaguanas, Trinidad
“Different option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was quite pleased with my visit. Decor is beautiful, nice atmosphere. Service was really good. Reservations are recommended. Inside seating is not so much but there is additional seating out. Parking is on the street, kind of dark. Food was quite good, not too oily or salty, but a little too much cornstarch, good, tasty, but I wouldn't say spectacular. Overall pleasant experience. Prices are good value for money. General management is very good.
They also have lunch and a take out section.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Trinidad
“A Definite Favourite!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This place is unique: great ambience, value for money, handsome portions, good service...anything tastes good! Outdoor or Indoor...you can't go wrong! I constantly recommend it again and again! Tip: Make a reservation!!!

• Visited May 2013