“Not bad, but everything VERY SLOW” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$99 (USD)
Ranked #4 of 21 hotels in Port of Spain
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
“Not bad, but everything VERY SLOW”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

The hotel is perched on a hill a way outside Port of Spain. The decor is fine. Certainly not the most incredible but comfortable enough.
I was there for my brother's wedding, and they put that together very well. The conference support staff were very good. The other best man and I were given open access to the board room, and had an almost dedicated technician to help us ensure a smooth presentation.
Other aspects of their service however were way short of the mark. The day before the wedding, we cancelled a room service order of 3 beers when they didn't arrive for over 30 mins. They day we left, we had a disastrous meal experience from the pool bar - supposed fast food was anything but. After ten mins they still hadn't processed the order and had to come back to work it out. Then nearly hour later, the food still hadn't come. The food in general was actually quite nice, but all overpriced. Service in the restaurant on a previous occasion wasn't any faster
The air-con in the room worked, but was so loud it had to be turned off at night or you couldn't sleep. Almost everyone we spoke to had this problem, so it wasn't just us being oversensitive.
The bathrooms and beds were very nice - and the Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries a sophisticated touch. The gym was also very good.
Overall, for what they charge, I would have expected better.

Room Tip: order any food well in advance of being hungry
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, General Manager at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Dear Guest from Sheffield;

Happy Belated Passover & Happy Easter

We thank you for your very positive review about the wedding .Since thatr day we have had numerous very good comments about the wedding arrangments as well how well our team members performed. This wedding was a very first Indian/Jewish traditional wedding at the hotel. The Indian Hena ceremony, The Wedding ceremony in True Jewish Traditions and then Wedding dinner in the ballroom is still a talk of the town,as elite of this town had attended from the bride side of the party. We are also glad that you liked actually the decor, the classy amenities,our state of art Gym as well the very comfort of the bed.
We are sorry that some aspects of slow delivery of your room service could be avoided.
We most certainly will work on this aspect of leisure dinner or supper service.

Once again thank you and we hope we will have the pleasure of receiving you in one of other Hilton hotels in not too distant future. ali

685 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Our family arranged to have a reunion breakfast at Hilton on the last day of our cruise holiday on the 20/3/11. Our party included 33 guests including 3 children.
Our experience at the Hilton was lovely, the food was great and Mauricia ensured we were well taken care of.
I would just like to say keep up the good work and it was great to have a ' trini style' breakfast and savour the local food.

• Stayed March 2011
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, General Manager at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 17, 2011
Greetings from our esteemed guests from United Kingdom

We are elated that you,your family and your party of 33 guests enjoyed your dining experience.
We are glad that you had the opportunity to savour our traditional and signature breakfast TriniStyle corner as well.

We hope that you visit us hopefully in not too distant future.
Inthe meantime ,we wish you a Happy Easter and Passover.
Sincerely, ali
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

OK where do I start? I stayed here for 4 nights in April 2011 and it ranks as the worst hotel I have stayed in since I can remember.

First of all - the staff are very friendly, but incredibly slow - for anything. In-room dining takes around 2 hours to arrive. Worse - when they cleaned my room they didnt replace the towels and shower gels in the bathroom. When I called "guest services" to ask them to deliver fresh ones (as we were going out for dinner) it took 1 and half hours for them to arrive. Its incredibly frustrating waiting that long to have a shower while making yourself late for a dinner reservation.

Secondly, there's a building site by the pool which involved heavy mechanical drilling and hammering all day. When I pointed this out to the staff they simply shrugged their shoulders and didn't think this was an issue worthy of any recompense. (And my room balcony overlooked a motorway so there was nowhere I could sit and read a book outside - I had to sit in the badly-lit, dingy room).

Thirdly, when I asked for a late check-out I was told the latest I could check out was 1.30pm. I can't remember the last time a hotel didn't offer at least 3pm, I'm fairly sure that is now a broad international standard. Staff were completely unhelpful and frustratingly inflexible.

I would NEVER stay at this hotel again. Absolutely appalled.

I would recommend anyone thinking of staying in this hotel should seriously reconsider.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Esteemed Guest :

Greetings from Trinidad;

We thank you for your feedback and critique. We do understand that your recent trip experience was less than perfect. I do apologise for this . Rest assured that we continue to evaluate, assess, and take each and every guest feedback as a genuine resource to continue improving both our product and services. Our recent upgrade and multimillion dollar enhancement plan also included our pool area. I can assure you that this pool area bar will re-open in the month of June 2011. Hotel has a unique location ,and our guests have an option to choose different views, however i sincerely apologise that due to sell out situation ,you may have had one of our family rooms in south wings with double beds, though quieter and larger ,they do look at Belmont Village and motor way.

Most of the business hotels in NorthAmerica and in Port Of Spain do practice policies and practices of 12.00 noon check out ,as check in is guaranteed at 3.00PM for arrival guests. Once hotel is not sold out ,we do extend late check out at request. .
I hope ,we do earn your repeat visit and assure you that we will have you assigned the best view from the balcony where you can also enjoy your reading.

We do value you frequenting our destination. I do wish you and your family Happy Easter & Passover.

Ali
ramex1830
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Hilton staff breakfast member Mauricia Latiff provided me with excellent advice and service during breakfast on April 5. Ms Latiff immediately understood the nature of my request for needed information during my short stay at the Hilton and promptly provided useful suggestions that were quite helpful to me. I do appreciate this type of quality service at the Hilton Trinidad & Tobago.

Ashook Ramsaran (New York, USA)
April 5, 2011

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, General Manager at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Dear guest ;

We do appreciate you taking the time and acknowledeging one of my team member for demonstrating positve service delivery and proactive service.
We most certainly asppreciate your gracious and generous comments about these developing individuals. We equally thank you for your comments about our people, our setting and our world known peaceful " Khatak Dance" .. brief.

We thank you for the opportunities the talent as well personality of our inidivisual team members.

Sincerely
Ali Khan

We also appreciate you
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I been to the hotel for Sunday morning b/fast with friends, the host was not very welcoming, no smile, we were seated and waited almost 15 mins before we were offered any coffee or tea, we had to ask what were the different stattions were, this could have been avoided had it been done when we were seated, the buffet selection was great I especially liked the local selection, taste was great, at no point did the manager or supervisor came to enquire how was our meal, Mauricia did stop by to acknowledge and thank us for choosing them for b/fast. I would still come back but hope the supervisor would smile.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, General Manager at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Dear Frequent Hilton Signature BreakFast Guest;

Greetings and and thank you for your constructive feedback. These reviews allow us to continuously assess our areas of improvements as well develop our people through constant learning and skills development.
We have certainly addressed the issue with our team members ,as they actively now see these comments ,so that they can deliver the services and anticipation of the needs of our very discerning customers.
Once again thanking you for acknowledeging the services and standards of our product. We hope this incident does not mar your imression and ,we hope to continue earn your business.

ali
Tobago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I took my daughter to dinner at Hilton for the first time. The quality of the food was amazing.
My daughter and I had a great time. I am definitely returning for a weekend. Keep up the good service.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest from Sweet Tobago:

Greetings and thank you so much for your kind review.
We are elated and humbled at your very generous feedback. We are glad that you and your daughter being first time visitor did enjoy the dining and service experience great.
We are looking forward to your return,and assure you both for a great relaxing weekend .
Please do convey us when you wish to re-visit?

Best Regards

Sincerely, Ali
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Departing Canada to stay in Trinidad...
Our stay at the Trinidad Hilton was wonderful.
We stayed in their 'older' wing for most of the stay, not realizing there was a 'newer and nicer wing' however the room we had was larger than the newer wing which we stayed in for 1 night.
At entry the hotel is beautiful - long wooden hallways - and special art work.
The service was wonderful! The Breakfast Buffet was truly a highlight - local dishes as well as standard fare....and every morning there was variety. It was something we looked forward to every day! And, with our stay it happened to be included. Even better!
The beautiful and friendly greeter warmed up our day right from the start, remembering our little son's name every day! The waitress Mauricia was terrific - we needed assistance finding a doctor's walk-in clinic on a Saturday (the hotel doc isnt there on weekends) she went above and beyond to provide us with two options, phone #s and details on both (her preference). She had a character that truly cared about us and wanted to help. It was so helpful and truly appreciated!
Our rooms were enjoyable to stay in and just relax after busy days visiting family or being on the highway.
The pool area - most suited for business folks looking to do some laps, still offered relaxation and refreshment. There was even a kiddies pool for our little one.
The setting at the Hilton is beautiful - set up on the mountain you drive in and enter at the top of the hotel, then the rooms are below - an upside down hotel! It's a really neat design! And, the top floor looks out over the expansive Savannah!
We were truly thankful to have chosen the Hilton for our stay - even enjoying that it was out of the busyness of downtown but close enough to nice restaurants - like Jenny's on the Boulevard (fantastic Chinese restaurant - in a beautiful 'house' - a must experience).
We will be back on our next visit to T&T.
Stefanie J

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, General Manager at Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 27, 2011
Dear Guests from Canada for family Vacation 2011

Greetings and big thank you for taking the time and effort to review our operation ,services, hotel design,our location and our setting of being up side down hotel overlooking the Expansive Queens Park Savannah, and our friendly and warm team members .
We are grateful to you of appreciating and acknowledgeing the services and especially of one of our team member going the extra mile to make your stay comfortable as well memorable.
After all that special attention has earned us your generous review and loyalty. .
We appreciate how you have explained our set of recreational facilities including our pool and kiddies pool.and warmth of our wooden hallways,our original art work and your daily experience at our restaurant for traditional breakfast.
We thank you once again and hope to see you and family in not too distant future.

We wish you a great spring and happy Easter.

ali

Been to Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!