I am from Trinidad & Tobago and I stayed at the Carlton Savannah from September 22 - 25, 2011 on a special offered to locals. I am in the habit of doing vacations at home so this was in no way unusual for me. This stay was done to celebrate my sister's birthday (September 22).
The hotel is simply beautiful. The colour schemes are very trendy and there are many other positives such as free internet access in the rooms, a restaurant on site, proximity to the capital (Port of Spain) and to many entertainment spots (Queen's Hall, Movie Towne, Ariapita Avenue), restaurants (Tamnak Thai, Apsara, Movie Towne) and shopping (West Mall, Long Circular Mall, Ellerslie Plaza, Movie Towne, Downtown Port of Spain). The roof top is by far the best feature of the hotel as one has the most beautiful view of most of Port Spain.
At check in, I was questioned repeatedly about whether the card that I was tendering was a credit card. I am widely travelled and I have used that particular credit card since 1992 but was never exposed to such questioning. He then made a photocopy (not a print) of the card and asked me to sign to indicate that the card was indeed mine. I was very disturbed by this request and advised the male CSR that I am very widely travelled but a request like that has never been made of me. He explained that the Credit Card Machine was out of paper so this was a temporary measure. Somehow I did not buy that reason but I complied.
Our stay was generally quite good. Our only issues were the high wall that one has to climb over to access the bath tub, the sticking closet sliding door, the lights on the bath room wall (over the sink) which were non functional and the toilet which were very difficult to flush. Outside of the male CSR at check in, the staff was generally very pleasant and friendly.
I was advised by the CSR, when I called to make the reservation that check out time was 1:00 PM, which I thought was just super fabulous. At about 12:35 PM however, I received a call from a very rude female CSR who advised me that check out was at 12:00 noon and that there were people waiting to check in, notwithstanding that check in is at 3:00 PM. She continued that other guests were also advising her that they were also advised that check out was at 1:00 PM and she would like to know why Reservations staff was telling guests that check out was at 1:00 PM.
On my way to the Front Desk, I learned from other hotel staff that check out is indeed at 1:00 PM but guests should have been asked if they could facilitate the hotel by checking out at 12:00 noon as a very large contingent of French travellers were expected to check in that day.
I completed the Customer Feedback Card and left it with Housekeeping. I was advised by the CSR at Front Desk during check out that I would receive a call from a Manager. To date, no one has called.
So, while the hotel may be beautiful, customer service and maintenance are issues which if not addressed could impact very negatively on the Carlton's Savannah being selected as the preferred provider of hotel accommodation in Port of Spain Trinidad.
Carlton Savannah staff need to be aware that today’s business environment is largely characterised by accelerating change, increasing competition and overwhelming complexity and that good customer service would certainly make the difference between Carlton Savannah and the rest, as customers generally demand and expect excellence in customer service. Local and international travellers do have alternatives as regards hotel accommodation.
Carlton Savannah must therefore do everything in its power as it seeks to maintain its image of efficiency and excellence in the delivery of hotel accommodation services.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On every island in the Caribbean there is a place where everyone goes, not to visit and leave, but to experience and return. In Trinidad, the financial seat of the Caribbean, it is The Carlton Savannah. Nestled in the foothills of the St Ann's valley, tucked in by lush bamboo and flora, is a boutique hotel especially fashioned for business travelers and locals who revel in affordable luxury - crackling with energy, sensuality and a sun dappled emotion of rest that stays with you long after your visit is over. The Carlton Savannah, located minutes away from the financial hub of Port of Spain, botanic gardens and Queen's Hall, and minutes away from a spectacular drive through mountainous rain forests to white beaches, is poised at the cusp of a tropical dream. Personalized corporate support for business travelers is our priority in the privacy of jewel shaded rooms, complete with complementary wireless service, flat screen televisions and living rooms doubling as fully equipped office meeting spaces. As a hotel committed to minutely personalized service, our concierge ensures home comforts and office requirements in a safe and luxurious environment. Rest assured... at The Carlton Savannah. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia and Despegar.com so you can book your The Carlton Savannah reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Carlton Savannah Hotel Port Of Spain
- Carlton Savannah Port Of Spain
- The Carlton Savannah Trinidad/Port Of Spain