“A Fabulous, Trendy Hotel But.......” 4 of 5 stars

The Carlton Savannah
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Coblentz Ave | Cascade, Port of Spain, Trinidad   |
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Port of Spain
Vaiano, Italy
“A Fabulous, Trendy Hotel But.......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I am from Trinidad & Tobago and I stayed at the Carlton Savannah from September 22 - 25, 2011 on a special offered to locals. I am in the habit of doing vacations at home so this was in no way unusual for me. This stay was done to celebrate my sister's birthday (September 22).

The hotel is simply beautiful. The colour schemes are very trendy and there are many other positives such as free internet access in the rooms, a restaurant on site, proximity to the capital (Port of Spain) and to many entertainment spots (Queen's Hall, Movie Towne, Ariapita Avenue), restaurants (Tamnak Thai, Apsara, Movie Towne) and shopping (West Mall, Long Circular Mall, Ellerslie Plaza, Movie Towne, Downtown Port of Spain). The roof top is by far the best feature of the hotel as one has the most beautiful view of most of Port Spain.

At check in, I was questioned repeatedly about whether the card that I was tendering was a credit card. I am widely travelled and I have used that particular credit card since 1992 but was never exposed to such questioning. He then made a photocopy (not a print) of the card and asked me to sign to indicate that the card was indeed mine. I was very disturbed by this request and advised the male CSR that I am very widely travelled but a request like that has never been made of me. He explained that the Credit Card Machine was out of paper so this was a temporary measure. Somehow I did not buy that reason but I complied.

Our stay was generally quite good. Our only issues were the high wall that one has to climb over to access the bath tub, the sticking closet sliding door, the lights on the bath room wall (over the sink) which were non functional and the toilet which were very difficult to flush. Outside of the male CSR at check in, the staff was generally very pleasant and friendly.

I was advised by the CSR, when I called to make the reservation that check out time was 1:00 PM, which I thought was just super fabulous. At about 12:35 PM however, I received a call from a very rude female CSR who advised me that check out was at 12:00 noon and that there were people waiting to check in, notwithstanding that check in is at 3:00 PM. She continued that other guests were also advising her that they were also advised that check out was at 1:00 PM and she would like to know why Reservations staff was telling guests that check out was at 1:00 PM.

On my way to the Front Desk, I learned from other hotel staff that check out is indeed at 1:00 PM but guests should have been asked if they could facilitate the hotel by checking out at 12:00 noon as a very large contingent of French travellers were expected to check in that day.

I completed the Customer Feedback Card and left it with Housekeeping. I was advised by the CSR at Front Desk during check out that I would receive a call from a Manager. To date, no one has called.

So, while the hotel may be beautiful, customer service and maintenance are issues which if not addressed could impact very negatively on the Carlton's Savannah being selected as the preferred provider of hotel accommodation in Port of Spain Trinidad.
Carlton Savannah staff need to be aware that today’s business environment is largely characterised by accelerating change, increasing competition and overwhelming complexity and that good customer service would certainly make the difference between Carlton Savannah and the rest, as customers generally demand and expect excellence in customer service. Local and international travellers do have alternatives as regards hotel accommodation.

Carlton Savannah must therefore do everything in its power as it seeks to maintain its image of efficiency and excellence in the delivery of hotel accommodation services.

Room Tip: I believe I was in room 704 which had a view of a bamboo patch close to the hotel and the compressor...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

I've dined at the Carlton Savananah's CA SA and Relish restaurants on numerous occasions but have never been a guest at the hotel. The Carlton Savannah, though small in size, is beautifully designed, one of the best hotel designs in Port of Spain in my opinion. However, I have been continuously disappointed with the meals, which don't seem to match the standard that the hotel has set for itself. Neither breakfast, lunch nor dinner were on par with offerings at other hotels nearby. I had the blandest burgers, pastas, local Trini and international breakfasts there. Thankfully the food isn't overpriced so wasn't too painful. But after giving the hotel numerous chances, I can safefly say that the food is not worth the expense. Customer service has been brilliant all on occasions though. Wait staff are very friendly and well-trained. However, on one visit, a male server who appeared to have reached his limit of frustration, vented to me about how horribly management treats staff at the hotel and expressed his intent to ignore a guest who was expecting room service, as he was tired and "fed up." I urge management to invest in a new executive chef to bring their restaurant menus to life and look into staff grievances, as these reflect in their interactions with customers. Overall, having been consistently disappointed with the food without staying overnight at the hotel, I recommend that patrons and guests dine elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Attempting not to be a creature of habit I chose this hotel as opposed to my preferred Hyatt.

Check-In: The staff were friendly in their greetings, however, once checked in I was given my room card and pointed in the direction of the elevators, without being advised of the floor, luckily common sense prevailed!

The Room: the platform where the bed was positioned was exposed and soiled, as well as one of the accent cushions; there was a leak in the ceiling which appeared to be originating from the condensation of the AC, and the minibar was empty, despite a security deposit for incidentals of US$50.00 per day taken in advance.

Housekeeping: I came back on the second day to find both the main door and the adjoining one to the room next door open, when I called reception to report this I was treated to the clueless response of "OH...Okay" and after a few beats, "Is anything missing?" I heard nothing further from reception nor security.

On the third day, I returned to find a towel placed on the floor where the ceiling was leaking...no words!!!

Check-Out: I dutifully filled out the survey and when asked how I enjoyed my stay, I reiterated my displeasure, informing them I would not be returning anytime in the future to which the response was "Well I hope these things did not spoil your visit and we hope to see you again...SHEESH!!!

Fellow traveler...this hotel is only masquerading as a 4.5 star when it is a very poor relation to its counterpart, the Hyatt...which I highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Thumbs Up to The Carlton Savannah Hotel. I was there on Wednesday night 9/14/11 @ roof top to celebrate my good good friend birthday and they also had a Sushi night as well every Wednesday to which, we didnt know about. Arrangements were made earlier with Jason Hadley the F&B Manager @ the hotel. I arrived @ 7:30 pm and met with Jason and he made sure we got to our seats,sushi,bottles of wine, cake etc whatever we needed Jason made sure it was delivered to us. On behalf of myself and my friends we would like to thank Jason Hadley so much for making us feel welcomed with his wonderful personality and also encouraging us to spend the night *yes* so we booked the royal queen suite and the service did not stop there. Jason we would definately be back *mwahh*

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

The Carlton Savannah is my favorite hotel in Port of Spain as it has all at the same time beauty, luxury, and warmness. I have felt there like being at home, but a very nice home where people take amazingly good care of you.
The pool is sea water, which is lovely! Also, the rooftop gives you a fantastic view on the city, it's so nice to enjoy a drink in the evening on the rooftop.
Rooms are very spacious and all well-decorated, in a modern but still very cosy way.
The Carlton Savannah, as you can guess from its name, is right in the middle of the Savannah, surrounded by botanic gardens and parks... definitely the best place to stay in Port of Spain, out of the traffic spots!
either for holidays or for business, you will feel all relaxed and comfy in the Carlton, and you will not be disappointed by the great services this hotel offers!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Valencia, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Stayed here on 31st August 2011 as a much needed R&R with my hubby.
Every aspect of my stay was perfect.
The young lady who took my reservation ended up being my 'go to CSR' for my entire duration, and i must say this- she should be given an award for Excellent Customer Service, in fact ALL the employees were PROFESSIONAL, FREINDLY and made it their duty to see about my every need.
My room (803) was clean (spotless), added with the modern furniture, small fridge, coffee maker, stereo system, Plasma screen tv and MOST IMPORTANT- EXTRA COMFY KING SIZED BED, my hubby and I had a 9hr sleep.
The bathroom is made of a very cozy bathtub, the fluffiest towels and bathrobe and all the other modern necessities u would need.
We even got the use of the hotels DVD player for our stay.
There is a rooftop bar, and it being Independence Night the hotel offered free Sushi to all guests.
Morning-time, breakfast was at the hotels in-house lobby restaurant RELISH- food was delicious, not as expensive as 1 would think for this modern hotel & worth every penny
WOW!! an experience to remember.
AND I vow to be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Fernando, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

The ovewhelming majority of the stay, interaction with staff & overall service was well in keeping with its star rating.

Our arrival was marred, not by the downpour but the front desk. There were 2 main issues- firstly although we were booked as group, arrived as group and were paying as group Mickhail at the front desk attempted to put us on separte floors. Secondly, we were told the the arrngement for using a substitute pool had been cancelled. The front desk clerk, Mickhail, certainly must be trainee, it seemed to me that he was performing his first check in. In fact he failed to check in one member of the group nd referred to me as 'Mr.' I make no claims to beauty but I am clearly female. both problems were handled deftly by Kipton.
I would humbly suggest to the manager that the delightful Nicholas, should be put in charge of Mickhail's training. Nicholas was competent, conscientious & courteous - the 3 C's of service.
We were delighted by the friendly & efficient staff that we encountered in the restaurants & bar. Kudos to the Food & Bev Manager Mr. Hadley who seems to make it his business to show guests a good time. In our group we had diet restrictions they were very helpful in guiding our selections of meals.
The cleaning staff as well were thorough and very accomodating.
The hotel itself provided an escape from the bustle capital within easy reach of the culture, nightlife & opportunities contained therein.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Carlton Savannah? Share your experiences!