“A Weekend Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 51 Hotels in Trinidad
San Fernando, Trinidad
“A Weekend Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

A lovely place to stay, very quiet, clean, friendly service, relaxing live entertainment poolside.
Small but very cozy with in house bar, restaurant, gym, pool, hair salon, mini mart, carport & wireless internet.
Best of all, a great price for a great place.
This has been our 4th time staying here.
We will recommend it strongly to anyone who needs some getaway time.

Room Tip: South side rooms are quieter but rooms on the western side have more lovely views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

This was first stay with the folks at The Tradewinds. I was on a business trip, as is usually the case and needed a reliable, clean place to hang my hat for about a week while I worked in Labrea, about 20 miles south of San Fernando.

The hotel is set up with about 40 rooms and they are frequently booked up so, reserve early. I found my room to be clean and neat. It was equipped with a microwave and fridge/mini-bar. There is room in it to store some of your own drinks and such if you so care to do. An electric tea kettle, instant coffee and assorted teas with condiments are store in a nice little wood box. There is also a set of silverware should you need it.

There is ample storage space for clothing and the room was also equipped with an iron and ironing board. As far as I know, all rooms are air conditioned.

Free wi-fi internet access is provided although in my particular room, the signal was hot or miss at times. My iPad dealt with it much better than my laptop which essentially remained shut down for most of the stay. There is wi-fi throughout the hotel, however and you can easily pick up a stronger signal on another node elsewhere.

There is a bar, pool and restaurant. I found the availability of familiar wines and liquor to be good. The breakfast is available beginning at 5:30 a.m. daily which was nice because my ride picked me up at 7:00. A full buffet is offered. My rate of $140 USD included breakfast daily. They are also open for lunch and dinner. Prices are reasonable but not cheap and the food quality is pretty good.

There is a nice pool situated by the outdoor bar and restaurant. While I never saw anyone using it, it appeared to be well maintained and the water was crystal clear. There is an exercise room but I did not use it. On Friday night they had light live entertainment by the pool. The weather was warm and humid; what you should expect this time of year here. Room A/C is a must for me.

I had a couple days of meetings at this hotel. The meeting space was very good in size and they provided an LCD projector as requested. Plenty of power outlets (110VAC, 60Hz same as U.S.)

Tech-trekker

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at tradewinds hotel. I must say the service was superb. The staff were extremely helpful,friendly and accomadating. My room was cleaned everyday along with fresh towels. When I visit trinidad again I would certainly stay at tradewinds.

• Stayed March 2012
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I was quite impressed with location of this Hotel. Hotel staff and room was perfect! I will highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an enjoyable stay while visiting this wonderful island in the sun.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Shropshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This looks like a lovely place and I must say the room was pleasant and the bed very comfortable. However, the breakfast and dinner were not great. I have stayed in cheaper, vastly superior places.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I had some business in south Trinidad so I decided to overnight at the Tradewinds Hotel. My first impression was not so very good to say the least cause I read on their website that evening check-ins would have received a snack plate. We checked in at around 6:15pm and we got no snack plate, although while i was checking in I noticed some neatly wrapped snack plates behind on a counter.

I purposely did not shine my shoes before I got there as I also read that one of their amenities was a free shoe shine service....again, when I wanted to access this facility I was told by the lady at the front desk that the ad referred to a machine and the machine is currently out of service.

I had to book an executive room as my family was with me and there were no standard rooms available. Thank God we didn't get a standard room because the executive room was seriously dated and the furniture was very old. The actual room itself was very clean and spacious and the bedding and bath towels were very clean. The aircondition unit in the room we stayed was so very noisy that is actually sounded like a lawn mower in the room. I reported the noisy A/C to the front desk and I was told that I would have to lower the A/C because the noise was a result of the A/C "icing up". The room was then obviously very warm now. To be quite honest I thought that $1200.00 TT per night would have entitled me the opportunity to be relocated to another room, especially since little children were involved. They simply refused to relocate us.

We decided to have dinner there given that the restaurant seemed very nice. The ambiance was nice, although for a hotel that size the restaurant seemed inadequate and cramped. I could well imagine on a very busy period how cramped it would be. The food was very basic and lacked that southern charm that I was hoping for. Restaurants in south Trinidad are known for its tasty cuisine and this place was seriously lacking.

After a horrid night of the lawn mower in my ear, I was the first to be up as I had an early morning meeting. I therefore went down tot he restaurant for the free "continental" breakfast that was included in my rate. First off, the gentleman who was the bartender/server/manager there that morning was not very polite and seemed to dismiss my question about the content of a sausage that was being served for breakfast. After a few minutes of self realisation, he then decided to tell me that the sausage was a mixture of beef and pork. At one time it felt as though I was in some kind of training camp as all he kept telling everyone was to sign in your room number and sign the register. My advice to guests there would be to skip that extremely lame breakfast and seek out the nearest coffee shop or doubles vendor. There is absolutely no variety in that breakfast and no choice of items....it was either toast with eggs or cheese or cereal!! That was the "continental breakfast" lol.

I suppose if I had paid for a standard room maybe the service and amenities might have been on par with the level of service and I might not have felt it so badly, but to crown it all off, when we were checking out that day, the laundry staff tried to pin laundry services on me where we clearly didn't do any laundry!! My advice to prospective guests would be to ensure that you get your full refund of your initial deposit and carefully check your receipt. They would seriously stick you for something you didn't use!!!

Overall, the view of the southern city and the overall cleanliness of the hotel was what stood out for me. This hotel is seriously overpriced for amenities and services that are simply not there. If you are looking for a nice budget hotel, this is definitely not the place.

Room Tip: avoid room #25!! the A/C is a Lawn Mower!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

The executive room looked nice as you arrive, but the bathroom had hair in it the exhaust over the toilets were dirty (blowing dirty air on you). The sheets had hair...the floor was dusty.....the food was not all that.... the gym was nice though.

average stay....thats all i can say....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Trade Winds Hotel? Share your experiences!