“weekend” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 51 hotels in Trinidad
Trinidad
“weekend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

The executive room looked nice as you arrive, but the bathroom had hair in it the exhaust over the toilets were dirty (blowing dirty air on you). The sheets had hair...the floor was dusty.....the food was not all that.... the gym was nice though.

average stay....thats all i can say....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Albany, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

It's amazing how a lack of good options in the region allows the Tradewinds to command high prices. I stayed in two different rooms over 2 weeks (one an exec room) and to sum it up: basic and dated in a Carribean style. From what I was told by coworkers, it's the best place you'll find in San Fernando though. If you stay at the Hilton in POS (for $40/night less) and then stay here, it'll take some time to adjust!

Pros: Laundry service is prompt. There's a gym attached to the building, accessed by a separate entrance. Live entertainment at dinner on select nights.

Cons: Restaurant breakfast is weak ... scrambed eggs, hot dog wieners, hashbrowns, canned beans (all a bit sketch because it's only slightly warm). Dinner is overpriced and they overcooked most of the seafood on multiple occasions (lobster especially disappointing).

Specific irritable personal experiences:
- One room had an AC unit whose auto-function didn't work so the choice was on (icebox) or off (sauna), the other room's AC made a terrible grinding noise all the time with floors that seeped a brown liquid every so often.
- When I checked out, the front desk employee refused to hold my luggage for the day in a back room while I went to work for the day before leaving for the airport in the evening. This was at the very same time I was handing over USD$2300 for my stay. I was genuinely surprised at this, but I guess customer service gaffes like this really do happen.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Farnborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

My fiance and I booked in on 30th May and the indian lady with the red hair at the desk said we were only booked for 1 person. We showed her the printed booking from expedia and she still didn't believe us saying its not on her system. She agreed to hold the charge for the amount we nbooked but lo and behold they wanted us to pay an extra 1200TT$ on our departure on 4th June. We made a fuss and the woman at the desk said she couldnt handle our complaint and called the manager who appeared an hour later, said he was in the shower, closely followed by his female companion.
He took another half an hour to finally realise that his employees had made a mistake and booked us for a higher priced room.
In additon the first room they put us in on day 1 was flooded with water. No one apparently had checked that the floor was soaking wet and we couldn't see it at first until we rested our suitcases on the floor and it got soaked, clothing inside and all.
They did move us to another room.
In addition the housekeeper would come into the room while we were at breakfast and take all our towels and wouldn't replace then until a few hours later, leaving us to wait for clean ones before we can shower, causing us extreme inconvenience.
They are quite good at saying thier apologies but this was useless as the time it took to sort out the complaint was 1.5 hours and by this time it was 9pm and our evening date with my nephew was ruined as we had to postpone due to the incompetencies of the manager and his employees

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
San Fernando, Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Being from Trinidad, I was horrified when my boyfriend recently stayed at this hotel. The room they gave him looked nothing like the website. He was not told that breakfast came with the room and still had to pay for something he didn't get. Service was lousy. We found dirty linens on the bed when we first arrived in the room. There were also another person's hair under the covers. We found termite droppings on the towels in the bathroom and the a/c was dripping water.

Also he was charged for double occupancy when only he stayed (barely I might add, we were out all day and most of the night) to sleep in the room. On reviewing the bill he found hidden charges and questionable accounting.

Believe me, I'm not recommending this hotel again to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

We took the weekend package which was at a very good rate. The complimentary breakfast was good. Loved the pub with the karaoke. Great liming!! The staff were friendly and the food at the restaurant was top notch. Will be back again soon for another getaway!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Stayed here only for two nights but the hotel was small and friendly. Reception staff could cheer up a bit. But overall had a nice time here would come back. Josh security was a diamond, Nigel taxi driver was nice also and Tina the cleaner was lovely very helpful and full of smiles. Pool area small but nice. Entertainment was good on Sat night. Met some nice people here. Manager was nice upgraded our room to a superior which was bigger then my whole flat. Would defo recommend I would go back

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

It was my second time staying at Trade Winds hotel. I stayed for approximately a week in the deluxe suite and was very pleased with the accommodation.My hubby and I got in late at night and was still welcomed with a midnight check in. The facility is very clean, very roomy and contains modern fixtures. Daily room service was available, with the option of opting out of it (if you'd like to have a late sleep in). The bathroom was very, very clean. A small kitchenette with a coffee maker, some eating utensils, microwave and mini fridge was very useful. Wifi is also a plus factor, along with cable tv and a safe, which made leaving the room with valuable items less of a worry. For easy accessibility to eating, a small restaurant is located downstairs (the food is also good).
The smaller downfalls: the rooms are a bit pricey (but worth it) as is the restaurant and the pool is located in a very open area, which makes it a bit uncomfortable for some (next to the check in site and between the rooms and restaurant).
My previous stay in the superior room which is cheaper but still clean and comfortable only had one small downfall: the bed was broken! Every small twist and turn made it a bit difficult to sleep as the noise was a bit loud. This problem was only in the superior room however.

All in all, I would still recommend this facility once you are willing to pay a bit of money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Trade Winds Hotel? Share your experiences!