“Lovely stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Trinidad
Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel
You added Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3 Hosang Street | Grande Riviere, Trinidad   |
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Trinidad
Trinidad
“Lovely stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My husband and I came here for the first time in a LONG time to turtle watch with friends. We stayed in the new large, very clean (I am particularly fastidious and always check the linen) and comfortable rooms, lovely wooden furniture and a lovely terrace overlooking the beach. The older rooms that are now closed were a little too rustic for me back in the 90s. Lidia who manages for the owner Piero is extremely accommodating and cheerful, the food is excellent and in fact Piero has brought in a master cheese maker from Italy and has started making estate cheese that is absolutely delicious.
Sadly because of rainfall the river extended in front of the hotel and it must have confused the turtles somewhat but it has happened before and will recover. No complaints, lovely stay, lovely people.
I firmly believe that if there is anything to complain about, take it to the owner, but then again there is always SOMEONE who will complain for the sake of it. It IS rustic so if you don't like that sort of thing, then don't stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Very basic rooms, but you are on the beach and very near the turtles. Rooms were clean, but food was overpriced and much better food and value available next door at the Le Grande. They had mosquito nets, but if I went again I would take a beach towel, a jug for tea and coffee, more insect repellant, bit soothing cream - you will get bitten, esky, shampoo etc as things are pretty basic. There is no wifi or tv, so lovely place to read a book or three. The aircon worked well, and plenty of parking.
At $125USD per night there is proabbly better value.

Room Tip: Try upstairs rooms as downstairs, you hear all the kids running around upstairs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Paonia, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Our main goal was to see the leatherback turtles and we were richly rewarded that way. We were able to watch a turtle all morning from the wonderful deck of our upstairs room, and sketch and photograph tracks from the night before. There was a heavy rain that flooded the river, exposing several nests, and we spent a delightful day saving the eggs from the vultures and re-burying them in the sand. Absolutely enchanting.
Some signs must have been placed since one of the last reviews, since we had no trouble finding the hotel. We thought the restaurant pricey, and so only ate there once, but the food was wonderful and well worth it. They had coffee for us in the mornings with all the ample cream and sugar I like. There is a small shop in town a block away where a gal makes very good inexpensive meals for take-out.
We would like to have hiked with Jakatan, but only had one day and it rained heavily. It is one of our regrets on our T&T trip that we didn't stay in Grand Riviere longer. We thought the location of the Mt Plaisir, its quirky charm, its fabulous deck, made it the best choice in the area. If we come back to T&T, we will definitely stay there.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent 3 days, two nights at Mr. Plaisir last August (2011), which is off season in Trinidad. When we arrived (it's a long drive eventually down a goat path and there is no directional signage whatsoever) we were pleased with the beach and the facilities. We had a room upstairs in the newer section and it was very comfortable and the deck was great. Although we had travelled throughout Trinidad and Tobago, (and pretty well everywhere else in the Caribbean), and were familiar with the generally poor service in this country, we really thought that if we were paying US$250 a night we would get some reasonable service. Alas, the sullen girl who worked in the restaurant was just as bad as everywhere else. They only had half the things on the menu available, practically no seafood (please!?), a limited drink menu, and a completely laissez faire attitude. Oh...and no ice available. Really??

After a couple of days enduring this horrid service (and Im a pretty easy guy to get along with...), we left and headed back to POS. By the time I arrived I had severe stomach cramps and was laid up for two days. I guess she left me a goodbye gift...

Terrible service, limited menu, overpriced, and no real bar area.

Room Tip: Book one of rooms in the newer section upstairs where there's more breeze.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lot et Garonne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

This hotel is about location, location, location. If you are there to watch the leatherback turtles nesting, then look no further but I think the management is trading on that fact. The staff were excellent but the hotel looks tired and feels like it doesn't have to try to hard because most tourist stay for one or two nights. The rooms are basic and rustic and if you have a ground floor room, make sure you bring ear plugs. There is just a wooden floor/ceiling and it sounded as if the people upstairs had decided to re-arrange the room, dragging furniture around. Be warned about the sand flies, they take no prisoners, so take plenty of repellent. The beds do have mosquito nets. Having said that, the spectacle of watching the turtles lay eggs is one of the most special things I have ever witnessed. There is new management at the bar next door, so I think there are plans to revive the area a little. There is a good restaurant just across the road.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for the top floor but if you are interested in turtle watching, you m...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

In all of Trinidad and perhaps the whole Caribbean, I love this spot most of all. The location is amazing, a room right on the beach of the wild north shore of Trinidad. The hotel staff are remarkable, the kitchen accommodated my allergy and were wonderfully attentive. The rooms are spacious and "earthy chic" (with an air conditioner for those who need it). You can sit on the beach and read or hike into town or if you are especially ambitious, you can arrange an amazing hike in the jungle by Jakatan, a man who has been written about in an anthropology text as well as interviewed on the Discovery Channel. He is a wealth of information regarding the history of the area, the medicinal quality of the plants and almost any living thing you encounter. If you are lucky enough to visit in March, you can witness the leatherback turtles laying their eggs on the beach at night. These creatures are amazing and the guides are well educated to answer your questions. Without hesitation, I give this place 5 well deserved stars!

Room Tip: I have stayed in all rooms and have never been disappointed.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This is the best place ever!!...I wish it was closer to my home!!...I love here !..BEST PLACE EVER!!!!...staff and owner/manager were very friendly and I would love to go back every weekend !!!....I would love to come back tomorrow!!...My cousins and I wanted to go back the second we left...we regret not doing everything we wanted to while our time there so as I quote “Regrets and Mistakes they're memories made.." <---- ADELE !!! But when you stay here this isn't a regret or a mistake....just spend your time wisely and just enjoy !!! This is PARADISE!!! Trust me I had Colplay's song Paradise stuck in my head while here because here is a paradise. I LOVE THIS PLACE AND WILL DEFINITELY COME BACK!!!

Room Tip: Just call and speak to any of the friendly staff or the manager!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mt Plaisir Estate Hotel? Share your experiences!