“Almost two hours for a light lunch. Rarely experienced service this poor.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Saltwhistle Bay Club

Saltwhistle Bay Club
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mayreau
Saltwhistle Bay Club
Save Saved
You added Saltwhistle Bay Club to your Saves list
Mayreau   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Mayreau
“Almost two hours for a light lunch. Rarely experienced service this poor.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012 via mobile

I know, i know, its the Caribbean BUT, Not only was it slow, there was no explanation other than "there is only one chef..." we were not even offered another drink while we were waiting. We asked for fruit juice but were told there was nothing other than fruit punch, then he served fruit juice to another table. We refused to pay the service charge (after all is this not for 'service?' and the bartender was rude and arrogant, threatening to call the police. He only backed off when we told him we ARE the police. Shame, because my experience of the self same resort in earlier years has been great. This place is past it's sell by date.

Stayed April 2012

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

We looked at the "villas" and kept on going. We had to beg someone to look at the rooms and they are in poor repair. Certainly not worth $200 per night, let alone $500. We had a disappointing meal and then decided to find another resort. Steer clear of this one unless you are on a sailboat, enjoy the beach and the local lobster and then stay somewhere else. This property needs a new owner with vision and capital.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mayreau hotels

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

Although the location is, without a doubt, beautiful and remote, one the main issues I had with the place is how unhelpful and placid the manager was.She doesn't make any suggestions on things to see or do, she seems bored to death and longing for her time to go back to her homeland in Germany. The food is the same pretty much every night, red snapper after red snapper (which is the only fresh food you can get there). The vegetables and meat are either frozen or canned. (don't even think of getting a simple pasta dish, it;s way overcooked).For the price they charge, it's really a shame...
We were there in July and there;s a serious problem with mosquitoes, they are out even during the day, but despite this fact, the bedrooms don;t have mosquito nets for the bed and the nets on the windows are not tight enough to keep the insects out! There's no long chairs nor beach umbrellas for the hotel guests on the beach front, and no shade anywhere to protect yourself from the sun.
I believe that for that price there are better options than this hotel.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

The position is superb and although I initially thought the rooms should be nearer the beach I realised that they are set back so as to be invisible from the sea so fair enough. The rooms are dark and could do with some modernising/updating (or even cleaning of the picture and lamp shades). The food is ok but it was disappointing not to get any fish of the day for 2 days running, particularly when this meant my vegetarian wife was only left with meat alternatives. Tinned tuna and pineapple was also not a great touch. Apart from that it was superb,and having back to back beaches was an added bonus.

• Liked — The space upstairs
  • Disliked — Dark and some of the fittings were dirty
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

We spent two weeks at Salt Whistle Bay and plan to return in '08. My husband and i have never been to an island like this. The proximity to the Tobago Cays is a huge draw but this small hotel and simple island are unforgettable. Our young boys loved the snorkelling, hiking, shelling and the food! Don't miss Mayreau.

• Liked — Remote and a bit rustic but comfortable/clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2006

I have travelled the world but still dream of this hotel. It is an escape from the world. It is paradise. The accomodation is simple but comfortable, the food excellent.

Nothing to do but relax and enjoy, swim, snorkel, dive, sail, jog and in the evenings sit at the bar, drink rum and meet people who have sailed in on their yachts.

Don't miss this if you can afford it!

• Stayed September 1999
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2004

is one of the most beautiful, peaceful beach locations in the world.

However, there is a coldness about the place that exudes from the Teutonic management on down. The bungalows are designed more like bunkers: for example, the fortress-like walls around the rooftop patios actually obscure the view of the beach from any comfortable sitting position. And for $500 per night there should be a change of matress every 10 years or so.

The food was quite good in general, but there is a regementation about the taking of meals that is quite at odds with the laid back vacation you may be seeking. First, you must order your dinner at lunchtime, which one might not be so much in the mood to do having just eaten.
Further, you must take dinner within a certain prescribed hour -- e.g.
between 7:00pm and 8:00pm. My fiance and I were unaware of the rule and came for dinner the first night at 8:45, and we were told that we almost missed it, and were served our pre-ordered food which must have been cooked at the beginning of the prescribed hour. Once we marched in step, though, we did find the food to be good.

I can't help but say that I also believe the manager actually lied to me twice -- once about the time of our departure and once about the origin of something I bought in the giftshop. In the first instance, she told us we were leaving on the 11:15 flight when I was certain I booked the later flight. When I questioned this, she said that the later flight would not allow enough time for a connection, and she absolutely refused to accept the fact that we wished to take the later flight anyway. I feel that she pushed us out early to save herself a few bucks in extra housekeeping hours, which I can't imagine are all that significant considering she is paying at Meyreau rates (very cheap) and charging at US rates. In the second instance I was looking at some frames in the giftshop and having travelled alot in Indonesia thought that they seemed like they were from Indonesia or the Phillipines. I didn't want to buy them if they weren't really from the islands I was visiting, so I asked the manager who assured me they were from St. Vincent. Well, after taking her word for it and buying them, at USA prices I might add, I learned that they were actually from Indonesia.

I also must mention it is a strange sight to be sitting on paradise beach, trying to enjoy yourself, with two enormous German Shephards barking their heads off. They were tied on two clotheslines near the managers bungalow, and when they barked past her liking she would tear out of her bungalow and start hitting them with a blue fly-swatter.
Maybe the humor in that sight was something to relish...but then again...maybe not.

As I mentioned, it is a truly lovely spot. However, there is no charm.
I am not the kind of traveller who requires everything to be "plush" and first world. However, I feel a bit taken advantage of because I feel that the high prices just don't reflect the comfort or service at all. For $500 per night I do expect more comfort and accomidation, rather than what seemed a little bit like East Berlin come to Mayreau.

Been to Saltwhistle Bay Club? Share your experiences!