“Fawlty Towers” 1 of 5 stars

Middle Street | Hillsborough, Grenada   |
Bequia
“Fawlty Towers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I booked a room in February for April despite a previous stay which was certainly not of the best but a convenient position. I eventually received an email confirming the booking.

In April I checked my booking only to be met with confusion by the staff and delay after delay from Joel Noel as to the bookings certainty. In addition the hotel had changed its telephone number!

I have lived in the Caribbean for seven year or more and am used to a certain amount of inefficiency and inability but this took the prize.

Don't touch the place with a bargepole.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

So, I was on a tour and would never have chosen to stay here, but since I did I wanted to share a few things:

The good: 1. The woman who serves breakfast and works in the restaurant is very nice and helpful 2. The wifi signal is strong 3. The location is good and within walking distance to the ferry 4. The AC is strong. 5 the restaurant, Jerk, is where the locals eat. Eat there b it's authentic and good. It's on the Main Street in front of the water, not connected to the hotel.

The bad: The rooms leave a lot to be desired. They literally reminded me of a bed and breakfast I stayed at in India, except India was better. They're a bit grimey, the water pressure is horrible and if you get hot water you're lucky. The safes don't work at all if you even have one on your room. The lighting is mellow yellow so it only highlights the dinginess. 2 whoever manages this place doesn't really seem to care. A paint job and some elbow grease would go a long way. 3. There was no pillowcases on the bed, jut the bed spread case which I'm pretty sure was never washed. I slept laying on a towel. 4 there's no blanket - just a bed spread who his not a blanket. 5 these some thick plastic something or other under the thin sheet. No idea why but the mattress was awful, and none of us slept well. 6 breakfast is a crapshoot. Some days there's bread and others maybe not. When I was there they had 2 eggs and there where over 10 of us. No one that worked there made any move to go into town to get breakfast. They knew we would be there and is included in the room bit they only serve what they literally have. 7 bring your own beach towels bc they're not providing any sort of towels outside of what's in your room

This place is tired and not well run. A few people people who try but do not have the means to help though they try. If someone invested some money and upgraded it could be a beautiful place. Right now I can only recommend if someone is on a very tight budget and wants to save money.

• Stayed December 2013
St. George's
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

George & Staff,
Thank you for a wonderful stay, your hotel is conveniently located within a few minutes from Restaurants, Shopping and only a few minutes away from the beach. The services and in particular the WiFi is excellent.

Thank you Brenda for such lovely service, much appreciated.

Thanks again Julia

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Redcar, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We arrived on the evening ferry about 8.30pm. The hotel was deserted. After stamping around and calling out, 'Miss Jones' the manageress appeared and checked us in. A meal? No chance, the dining room had been cleared in preparation for a Valentines Day Day event a couple of days later. When we explained that we had been travelling all day and wished to eat, Miss Jones offered to bring a meal to our room. Perhaps things were looking up. Two chicken drumsticks arrived, with chips, in fast-food style styrofoam containers. Not what we had been expecting from the biggest hotel on the island.

Breakfast was meagre, the bacon rated somewhere between over-crispy and charred to death. Service was desultory, slow and lacked any professional polish. We chose to eat out for our remaining meals.

A notice in the room warned that if we left the air-con running when we left the room, staff would remove the remote control! We all recognise that energy resources are precious on such a small island but is that the best way to encourage guests? We solved the issue by taking the remote with us when we went out!

To conserve water, all the taps spring shut when you let go, making it tricky to rinse your hands. Tip - use the shower, that runs freely.

We had planned to explore the island over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We had toured the island and seen everything by Friday afternoon. The taxi that we booked for a half day tour drove as slowly as he dare and completed the circuit in less than two hours!

I notice that more recent reviewers write more positively of the Hotel Laurena. Perhaps things have improved. I doubt they could have got any worse at the time of our visit.

Room Tip: If your are aware of any festivals, dances or social events, ask for a room towards the rear of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Grenada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Great Location! Stayed at Laurena for a business trip. Am a Grenadian and repeat guest. My 1st visit was June 2013 and I was very impress with the professionalism of Mr. Noel hence I decided to book directly through him for my return. I made reservation for 2 rooms a couple days before my arrival and once again he was very helpful. On our arrival at the hotel, staff seemed to be unaware of our booking but tried to help. We waited for about 20 minutes until the Manager/owner arrived. I followed her to an office and was told that I had no reservation hence I will be considered as a "walk-in". I explained that I made reservation through Mr. Noel prior to my arrival. she explained that I did not leave a credit card (I was never asked for one)so my reservation would have been cancelled. After about an hour the rooms were ready. The bathroom in one of the rooms was dirty and seemed to be under maintenance, we immediately asked for another option and was quoted a charge of EC$30 extra for adjacent room since we wanted room close by. At this time we were ready to check out when Mr. Noel appeared and saved the day... Finally someone apologised! He gave options and eventually the situation was resolved with no extra cost. The final room was spacious and comfortable however there were signs of roaches dropping many places which we sorted ourselves. A few other problems which Mr. Noel dealt with immediately. The 3 stars is for the service received from Mr. Noel who apologised everyday until my day of departure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

we are a family of 3 who stayed at the Laurena for 3 nights in August 2013 for the regatta celebrations. When I made the call to the hotel to make my reservation the staff were helpful and willing to make the effort to secure my booking i.e calling back when they said they would.
On arrival we were seated in an air conditioned office with the offer of complementary refreshments.
Our apartment was very clean and well equip with all we needed for our stay, best part for me was the air conditioning and comfy sofa, my son made the most of the spacious beds.
The Laurena is central but not so that you are disturbed by noise, a two minute walk to the beach, shops, bank and port.
Improvements needed all staff should know about the events taking place on the island for the regatta celebrations. We asked a number of staff about activities none of them had a clue what was taking place. Do feel it's important for staff to be informative when such events are taking place .
staff were willing to rectify minor issues we had.

Will definitely stay at the Laurena again.

Room Tip: Apartments on the first floor better than those on the ground as you are able to have an apartment w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Escondido, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We are a family of 5 that went to Carriacou in July 2013for the beaches and diving. We had a bad experience at Grand View. (You can read about that on my post, “Not so Grand”). However, Noël at the Hotel Laurena showed exceptional hospitality. It really saves the trip. Plus the understanding from Alex, and Gary at Dee Ferr Diving, made it so we didn’t want to leave.

The rooms are clean and spacious. The AC is cold and quite. The beds are clean and comfortable. Laurenas restaurant is one of the best on the Island. It has a great location as well. It’s a quick flat walk to a white sandy beach. Close by are restaurants, grocery stores, taxis, and the dock.

Well be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Laurena? Share your experiences!