“Comfortable, Convenient & Honest” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Laurena to your Saves list
Hotel Laurena
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Middle Street | Hillsborough, Grenada   |
St. Ann's, Trinidad
“Comfortable, Convenient & Honest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at Laurena for one night on Sunday March 24th before heading up the Grenadines. It's in Hillsborough 2 blocks up the street from the ferry dock (turn left as you exit the dock). The room was dated but it was really a place to lay our heads for the night so we weren't looking for luxury - the AC worked, 2 full beds and toiletries in the bathroom, as well as small fridge. Continental breakfast was included but consisted of bread, tea, juice and some fruit which left me hungry so we opted as well for the full breakfast (which was scrambled eggs and sausage as well as fruit and toast). Things are very laid back here but the owner, Mrs. Andrews, who lives on the property and Joel who sorted out our room for us at short notice, were very accommodating. The "honest" part of my review comes from the fact that 2 days after leaving the hotel I realised that I couldn't find my ipod. I called the hotel on the off chance that it was there and lo and behold it WAS, and I collected it 5 days after having left the hotel (along with my house key which I hadn't realised i also left in the bag with the ipod). Anywhere else and I think I would have had to have kissed the pod goodbye! So Hotel Laurena wins my vote and i'll be staying there again next time I visit Carriacou.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My one-night stay at Laurena contained both positive and negative experiences. First of all, Anne, the solution-oriented lady in charge. She was great from start to finish.

My room was ready when I arrived, cold water and ice in the fridge, the aircon had already been on for a while so the room was pleasantly chilled. The room was OK, a bit basic and dated, but everything worked: Aircon, fridge, shower, safe, etc... However it is old and a bit worn. The mattress had a very uncomfortable kind of plastic sheet(?) under the regular sheet, making me sweat all through the night. I wish I had taken that off.

The wifi did not work at all when I was there, despite Anne's efforts to fix the problem with the internet supplier Lime. Great effort, but no wifi, too bad for me.

When I went for breakfast in the morning, I waited and waited for the chef to come and talk to me. He did not. Then I got word that he was too busy to attend to my breakfast! What??? I marched out, but only after making it blatantly clear that I consider such behavior unprofessional and rude.

I went to my room and packed, and as I was about to leave, the phone rang and there was Anne offering breakfast and being apologetic about chef's behavior.

Would I go back? Probably not. You can walk to Green Roof in 10 minutes, and it's much nicer. Laurena is closer to the jetty and the center of town though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
St. George's, Grenada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Travelled to Carraricou for the regatta in 2012 and stayed at this hotel. It is within walking distance from the ferry terminal, about 5-10 minutes. Chose the apartment which was a good size and nice. It was clean, had a nice kitchen, microwave, fridge and two verandas (back and front). The restaurant (the Jerk Center) is not on site, but is a short distance away and right across from the beach. The food is ok, but not much variety.

Location is good as it in Hillsborough, and within walking distance are the beach, ferry terminal and bus terminal.

Service was average as there was few staff members, and they were not as attentive. Even though we had two verandas, the view was basically bushes and someone's backyard.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, and if I visit Carraricou again I will definitely choose here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We had a huge apartment,front and back balconies. The housekeeping staff were excellent and pleasant. The Jerk Center offered great choices at reasonable prices. The food was delicious. Chef Reese granted a special request which was absolutely fabulous. Ms Newton was very helpful. Overall we had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: . Rooms on third floors seems to be the best. Ask Ms Newton.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was a massive appartment with back and front veranda Lounge Kitchenette and dinner large bathroom and very large bedroom a king and queen bed. A new building and excellent value for money a 2minute walk to the beach which isnt the best in carriacou but good central location with easy access to bus and taxi service a 5minute walk from the dock

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bequia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed at the Laurena while meeting some friends from SVG and remained for the Carriacou carnival. Consequently we were offered a rate applicable for two or more days. The room was just about on a par for what we paid. The aircon worked OK but had to compete with the gap round the door. However maid service was minimal and apart from making the bed and replacing towels after four days nothing else was done. We had to ask for the floor to be swept and the trash bin remained unemptied throughout. The dining experience was a work of fiction. We ordered pork medallions from a menu given on our arrival and were served casserole sized pieces of locally butchered pork in some form of jerk finish which had as little to do with medalions as the kitchen has with its claimed fine dining. The wine we asked for didnt appear and g&ts were charged at 16ec each (approx £4). We complained to the chef who told us management knew he couldnt comply with the menu! The cost of the meal was not charged to us but we were required to pay for those hugely exhorbitant drinks. No apologies from management for the meal.
Reception is closed up overnight and there certainly doesnt appear to be any duty staff although there is a list of emergency contacts posted in the room. Problem is, on the one, non urgent, occassion we wanted to use the phone we couldnt figure it out.
Oh yes, full payment is required on arrival and 4% added for cards.
Really - dont bother

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Carriacou Island hotels

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We did not stay at the hotel but we did eat at the Jerk Center and the food and service were incredible! Great place for lunch!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
#10 of 13 in Grand Anse
4.0 of 5 stars 100 reviews
The Flamboyant Hotel & Villas
La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & Beach Bar
La Sagesse Hotel, Restaurant & B...
#1 of 4 in Saint David Parish
Green Roof Inn
Green Roof Inn
#3 of 8 in Carriacou Island
4.0 of 5 stars 53 reviews

Been to Hotel Laurena? Share your experiences!