“A mixed bag, both highs and lows” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Laurena to your Saves list
Hotel Laurena
Middle Street | Hillsborough, Grenada   |
Oslo, Norway
“A mixed bag, both highs and lows”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My one-night stay at Laurena contained both positive and negative experiences. First of all, Anne, the solution-oriented lady in charge. She was great from start to finish.

My room was ready when I arrived, cold water and ice in the fridge, the aircon had already been on for a while so the room was pleasantly chilled. The room was OK, a bit basic and dated, but everything worked: Aircon, fridge, shower, safe, etc... However it is old and a bit worn. The mattress had a very uncomfortable kind of plastic sheet(?) under the regular sheet, making me sweat all through the night. I wish I had taken that off.

The wifi did not work at all when I was there, despite Anne's efforts to fix the problem with the internet supplier Lime. Great effort, but no wifi, too bad for me.

When I went for breakfast in the morning, I waited and waited for the chef to come and talk to me. He did not. Then I got word that he was too busy to attend to my breakfast! What??? I marched out, but only after making it blatantly clear that I consider such behavior unprofessional and rude.

I went to my room and packed, and as I was about to leave, the phone rang and there was Anne offering breakfast and being apologetic about chef's behavior.

Would I go back? Probably not. You can walk to Green Roof in 10 minutes, and it's much nicer. Laurena is closer to the jetty and the center of town though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
St. George's, Grenada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Travelled to Carraricou for the regatta in 2012 and stayed at this hotel. It is within walking distance from the ferry terminal, about 5-10 minutes. Chose the apartment which was a good size and nice. It was clean, had a nice kitchen, microwave, fridge and two verandas (back and front). The restaurant (the Jerk Center) is not on site, but is a short distance away and right across from the beach. The food is ok, but not much variety.

Location is good as it in Hillsborough, and within walking distance are the beach, ferry terminal and bus terminal.

Service was average as there was few staff members, and they were not as attentive. Even though we had two verandas, the view was basically bushes and someone's backyard.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, and if I visit Carraricou again I will definitely choose here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We had a huge apartment,front and back balconies. The housekeeping staff were excellent and pleasant. The Jerk Center offered great choices at reasonable prices. The food was delicious. Chef Reese granted a special request which was absolutely fabulous. Ms Newton was very helpful. Overall we had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: . Rooms on third floors seems to be the best. Ask Ms Newton.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was a massive appartment with back and front veranda Lounge Kitchenette and dinner large bathroom and very large bedroom a king and queen bed. A new building and excellent value for money a 2minute walk to the beach which isnt the best in carriacou but good central location with easy access to bus and taxi service a 5minute walk from the dock

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bequia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed at the Laurena while meeting some friends from SVG and remained for the Carriacou carnival. Consequently we were offered a rate applicable for two or more days. The room was just about on a par for what we paid. The aircon worked OK but had to compete with the gap round the door. However maid service was minimal and apart from making the bed and replacing towels after four days nothing else was done. We had to ask for the floor to be swept and the trash bin remained unemptied throughout. The dining experience was a work of fiction. We ordered pork medallions from a menu given on our arrival and were served casserole sized pieces of locally butchered pork in some form of jerk finish which had as little to do with medalions as the kitchen has with its claimed fine dining. The wine we asked for didnt appear and g&ts were charged at 16ec each (approx £4). We complained to the chef who told us management knew he couldnt comply with the menu! The cost of the meal was not charged to us but we were required to pay for those hugely exhorbitant drinks. No apologies from management for the meal.
Reception is closed up overnight and there certainly doesnt appear to be any duty staff although there is a list of emergency contacts posted in the room. Problem is, on the one, non urgent, occassion we wanted to use the phone we couldnt figure it out.
Oh yes, full payment is required on arrival and 4% added for cards.
Really - dont bother

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We did not stay at the hotel but we did eat at the Jerk Center and the food and service were incredible! Great place for lunch!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Grenada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at hotel Laurena so much when it was time to go i wish i didn't have to leave. Professional staff very courteous and accommodating, the go out of their way to ensure your comfort, splendid food at the jerk center and the hotel restaurant. The room was very comfortable my mom and I did not want to leave the room to go outside. There is a high standard of service at the hotel and i would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone especially if you are newlywed or family/friends vacationing. Thank you Hotel Laurena you made my first visit to Carriacou a memorable one, i can't wait to visit again!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Laurena? Share your experiences!