“Roxanne has left the Building” 2 of 5 stars

You added Bogles Round House to your Saves list
Bogles Round House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Bogles, Grenada   |
San Francisco, California
“Roxanne has left the Building”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We came enthusiastically to try Roxanne's famous food. But the deception could not be bigger. She does not cook any more regularly, had her baby, and has outsourced the food preparation to some third class 'chefs'. We have been eating anywhere in Grenada and Carriacou, even on the street, but what we have been getting tonight for 300 EC, has been the first (!) deception, taste- and spice-free fried food which you could get at any beach bar in the rest of the world. Most of the food has originated from freezer, can's and powder. Mashed potatoes are not made from potatoes, calamaris from the freezer and deep fried... The menu has been very limited and focused on little elaborated dishes. And, Roxanne was not even interested in taking our feedback (too busy with her baby). I completely agree with the former review, stay and eat at Ade's dream, the place is not as 'fancy' but price-quality wise it is the by far better and tasteful option. Same goes for any local restaurant on Carriacou...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Fullerton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I would give the Round House 2 1/2 stars. My wife and I returned from a 2 week trip to Grenada and Carriacou. We split up our 5 nights on Carriacou between Ade's and Bogles Round House. We were quite excited about the Round House, as it was our splurgy hotel for the trip.

First the good: The location in Bogles in kind of cool. It is a very small village, with friendly locals. It is definitely a remote place and if you are looking for solitude, you can find it here. The cottages have a kind of simple charm that is appealing. I enjoyed hearing the waves crash during the night. It is quiet and feels safe. Also, the shower was quite good, and did get really hot. The restaurant was very good, especially the lobster. The side dishes were the same for all dishes, which I thought was a bit lame since we ate there more than once. It is not quite a fine dining experience, but has decent service and amazing lobster.

Now the not so good: The lighting and seating in the room was terrible. There is nowhere to sit comfortably in the evenings. Our mosquito net did not close properly and we were assaulted by mosquitos almost constantly while staying at Bogles. It was by far the most buggy place we stayed on Grenada or Carriacou. The cottages are extremely open (holes in the wales, slatted windows, etc), which I don't mind, but when the mosquito net is not great, the bugs were a bit much. We may have suffered from timing as the rainy season was extending well into January. I think that made the bugs worse, and also the waves were quite strong. That brings me to the "beach." Supposedly, it is not always like this, but when we were there, there was no beach. I don't mean it's small, I mean it is nonexistent. We went swimming one time. The break came so far up that we had to put our sandals in the tree to not be swept to sea. There were so many rocks that the strong current was slamming us into, that after 10 minutes or so my wife and I decided it was dangerous to continue, and never went swimming at the hotel again. This was a major disappointment for me, as being even on a modest beach was one of the main selling points of the hotel. Roxanne claimed it is not always so rocky, but it didn't do us much good. I thought it was a bit of false advertising. There was literally no sand not covered by the waves, even at low tide. The nearest beach is Anse la roche which is truly lovely, but its a good 40 minute walk each way. I enjoyed the walk, but was really annoyed at the lack of any swimming in the immediate area of the hotel.

Next, the breakfast was pretty lame. For the money we were paying and the reputation of the restaurant, we were expecting hot breakfast and different breakfast options. The breakfast was almost identical each morning. It consisted of cereal (raisin bran, corn flakes, granola), a few pieces of toast (probably the highlight of the meal) served with mostly store bought jam, and fruit. We easily could have purchased the "breakfast" ourselves for maybe $10 US total for all the breakfast meals we ate. Compared to staying at Ade's for $30 US a night (with A/C, cable tv, and a closed room), Bogles charged $100. I thought the extra cost was partly going towards a nice breakfast, not so much. With such basic accommodations and the claim to be a "bed and breakfast," we were not impressed with the meal or comfort of the room. The bed was very uncomfortable and small as well.

Lastly the service. Roxanne seemed to be the only person who had any useful information about the island and she was rarely available. She did organize a trip to the Grenadines for us, and that was cool. I was frustrated when I would ask other employees questions and would get no answer or the "dear in the headlights" look. Even simple questions like "how far is it to anse la roche?" were met with quizzical looks and no answers. The final straw for us happened right before we checked out.

On Sunday, everything is closed in Carricaou, and I do mean everything. The book of information provided in the room stated clearly that on Sunday the restaurant was open for lunch from 12-5. We went to church at a nearby church and returned around noon extremely hungry. We were taking the ferry back to Grenada that afternoon and needed to eat. We sat down in the restaurant and told it would be a few minutes. After a minute or two, the woman returned and said they would not serve us. When I asked why, she gave no answer. When I asked if there was anywhere else we could eat, she said she did not know. No apology was offered. We were really pissed. She could not find Roxanne apparently, or I don't know, but it was extremely unprofessional. I am not a fussy traveler, but this really rubbed me wrong. We decided to have a taxi pick us up a bit early and pray that there was something open in Hillsbourough. As we left, the woman was sweeping outside. We walked right by her with our luggage, she turned her back to us. No goodbye, no thank you, nothing. I thought it was extremely rude. Grenada and Carriacou are full of warm and friendly people, but the staff at Bogles was lacking. Thankfully, we we arrived at the Kayak Kafe in Hillsbourough about 15 minutes before closing, as they were literally the only option.

Overall, I would not recommend staying at the Round House. Come for a nice dinner, but seek lodging somewhere else. It was by far the worst value out of the 5 guesthouses/hotels we stayed at on the trip. It is overpriced, remote, there are no other food options nearby, there was no beach to speak of, the service was cold and uninformed, and the breakfast was simple at best. I don't need luxury, TV, or anything fancy, but I did expect a beach and quality mosquito net. You can do a lot better for your $100 bucks a night somewhere else on the island.

Room Tip: We stayed in Mango, which is the closest to the water.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is a great B&B with an adjacent restaurant that Roxanne, the owner, runs. Dining at the Round House is a must, as it is one of the best restaurants on the island.

There are three cottages. My wife, myself and our daughter stayed at the Lime Cottage. The cottage is very nicely decorated, has kitchen and a balcony. Mosquito net over each bad is a savior! Ceiling fans are a great anti-mosquito tool, as well. Private bathroom/shower. The property is very well taken care of. The price is very reasonable! The property is pretty much on the beach, but you can find better places to go swimming if you like snorkeling.

Roxanne is a great host: she is caring and non-imposing. She lives on the property. She is very helpful: she told us what we needed to know about the local culture, places of interest and helped us book water taxi. It is very important that you plan your travel in advance as getting North of the Island and connecting to ferries that run to St. Vincent and Grenadines may be challenging.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ketchikan, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Me and my friend, stayed here Nov 17th thru 23rd! this is the best place we have ever stayed! if you want luxury this is not for you! if you want privacy and want to kick back and have a beach to yourself 99% of the time, with an awesome chef! this is the place. Roxanne didn't let us want for nothing! we ask about a hammock, by the time we got back from town there was one hanging on our porch, we ask about a couple of excursions, was taking care of by days end. Ice? no problem, she chopping us ice anytime we needed it. The continental breakfast that's included, is yummy! homemade bread for the toast, fresh juice and fruit, cereal and coffee..what more could you ask for to start your day? If I ever get to return to Carriacou, I will be staying here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Bogles Roundhouse deserves my highest praise! We stayed 2 nights and were very pleased with the accommodations and the staff at this B&B. The cottage was cozy, freshly stocked and always cleaned when we would return. Roxanne was an incredible host and an amazing Chef! I live in Pasadena, California and we have more 5 stars restaurants in a 1 mile radius than all of the Caribbean Islands....I was shocked when I had dinner here. Without a doubt she prepared the most delectable pork tenderloin I have ever had and I am a connoisseur. During our stay she also helped charter a boat ride to Sandy island for us to go Snorkeling. This is a must while in Carriacou and the boat leaves right from the beach in front of the B&B. We have recommend this B&B to all of our friends in Grenada and we hope you will be staying here as well!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mango cottage which is closest to the water, try it out!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Only reviewing the Food at The Roundhouse, which is amazing and well worth it.

Had Butternut Squash Ravioli with Blue Cheese Sauce and Lobster Tempura, and to wallow in the local catch, a stunning Grilled Lobster with Sweet Chilli sauce. Kicked it over the top with Molten cake with Grenadian Chocolate.

Over 3 months on Carriacou I ate there Five Times.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Wendover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

A nice little cottage in a very quiet area. Good for chilling out. It's not on the best beach and you will get eaten alive by the noseeums (sand flies), but Roxanne is a charming host and the food is fantastic (I will review the restaurant separately).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bogles Round House? Share your experiences!