“Unfriendly staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carriacou Island
Sunset Beach Hotel
Save Saved
You added Sunset Beach Hotel to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   Paradise Beach, L'Esterre, Grenada (Formerly Paradise Inn)   |
Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
“Unfriendly staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Well just as the title suggest,on arrival went to bar posters up everywhere about 4 of them!!NO CREDIT HERE !! DONT ASK your not going to get it ummmm a very negative atmosphere just as the staff was,No smiles couldn't be BOTHERD,very off putting,we spent a lot of money to get out to the Caribbean and then a ferry across to Carriacou to find paradise beach.Yes the beach was lovely,no choice of food at THE HOTEL.The room itself was bare no running hot water,there was a kettle with NO cups,spoons the fridge was dumped in the room but wasn't working,also the outside light was left on all night and through the muslin style curtain Ummmm see through kept us awake so yes we decided to move out the next day.would not recommend it only if the staff stepped up and a menu choice Ummmm

Room Tip: dont sleep near the outside light keeps you awake
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cambridge UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We have just returned from a three week stay at Sunset Beach and it's something of a mixed bag. Beautiful location, right off the beach. Our room was large, equipped with both ceiling and pedestal fans and a cooker and fridge. Pleasant and spacious (shared) verandah to sit on.

As noted elsewhere, this is not a hotel, but a fairly attractive complex of six rooms with a public restaurant and bar located right on the beach. Rates are competitive. It could be a goldmine, but it never will be with the current staff involved.

During our stay, two seperate Canadian couples and a party of Swedish doctors booked in - none would ever return. The people of Carriacou are typically gentle, friendly and welcoming; in contrast, the Manageress (daughter of the absentee owner) sets the tone with her rude, thoughtless and unhelpful approach. "Completely the wrong attitude to customers" was one comment. "She made us feel completely unwelcome" was another.

During our stay, we were never asked whether we needed anything; rules were applied for guests that were never explained or written down anywhere. When I mentioned that we had had an enjoyable day, the Manageress' response was "It's OK for you - you're on holiday".

Meals were a movable feast....when I asked in a friendly manner at 11am whether we could eat dinner that night, her answer was "I haven't made my mind up yet." So, we gave up eating there, apart from breakfasts - advertised as being available from 7.45 am, but that turned out to be when the sullen staff (the sole exception being the part time cook Theresa) arrived to start sweeping the floor; our earliest breakfast was at 8.30.

My guess is that noone working there has ever visited a hotel or had even the most basic training in hospitality. Replacement sheets had to be requested - in two instances those provided were badly torn. It was normal to be reading on the verandah at 8pm with the staff standing nearby shouting at each other, or listening to loud music at an adjacent table. Sadly, we came across many people on the island who would have made perfect substitutes.

The comments about security are unfounded - the island is virtually crime free and we never locked the door. The departure of the staff was an experience to be welcomed, not to be concerned about.

We've paid more than 25 (extended) visits to Caribbean islands. We love the places and the people. We'd return happily to Carriacou, but I wouldn't wish a stay at Sunset Beach on my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

As I came to the Caribbean I wanted to stay on the beach. There are not a lot of places on Carriacou where you can stay on the beach. When I came to the hotel there was first nobody to been seen. After some locals called the owner she came and I was able to get a room. The room was clean but had not much in it. The bed was comfortable but in the bathroom / shower was just cold water no hot water at all. The whole place looks from the outside really nice the location on Paradise Beach is amazing but this is nowhere a hotel. For me Sunset Beach is more like some apartments put together. A hotel for me considers at least hot water a fully run restaurant and reception and security in the night. There was not one of those things. The restaurant was only open if you made a reservation before and in the night the whole place was without any security. Next time I would stay there again as I now know what to expect because you can not beat the location. But I think they should take the hotel part out of their name as this is no hotel and only bears false expectations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011 via mobile

This place was beautiful. The location is amazing on Paradise beach. The rooms are large and there is A/C. I didn't get the feelig that I was super welcome here. The staff wasn't super nice or welcoming- NOT what I had experienced overall in Grenada.
When I asked about arranging a trip to go snorkel and to see sea turtles I was looked at like I had six heads. I was then handed the phoen to call places myself. Not super expensive and great location but the attitude from staff bothered me a lot.

• Stayed July 2011
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

We selected this small hotel based on the understanding it was a quiet place on a beautiful beach. The beach is absolutely beautiful but bring your own lawn chairs as there is no where to sit up off the sand and the sand flies are terrible. The lot beside the hotel held continuous loud parties with people coming and going all hours of the day and night....so it certainly lacked the peace and quiet.

If you are coming in for a few days and planning on doing some home cooking - best to purchase supplies on Grenada as you will have more of selection. Can pick up bottled water and fresh eggs from the small store at the top of the laneway.

There is no hot water in the rooms and it is important to remember to conserve water as the locals rely on rain water as their source of fresh water. Beds and sheets are below standard and towels are stained - so may wish to bring your own.

We would not stay at Sunset Beach again - too much noice from the locals. Suggest you pay the little extra and find a nicer place and visit Paradise Beach for the day.

Best place to eat on Paridise Beach is at the Hardrock cafe. Joan and Joe welcome you with kindness and great food. Or, you can stop in at Patti's deli (a short walk from the ferry dock) and purchase great sandwiches.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
La Murada Orihuela, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

We booked to stay here for 1 week having read all the reviews. To say we were dismayed is polite. This is not a hotel in the normal sense. All rooms have plate glass along the front which is almost open to anyone walking past. The curtains are not enough for privacy. There is absoutely no hot water at any time?? When I queried this I was asked had I asked for this amenity when booking! I´m sorry but I thought that hotels had hot water, if not all the time at least some of the time. We have travelled all round the world, stayed in all types of accommodation, but NEVER have we had had no hot / warm water. How can anyone shower off sun screens etc, wash dishes etc. Also the lighting, no lights in shower/toilet. hazzard at night!
The best thing about this place is I suppose the location-it is on the beach.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

This was our second visit as we stayed here three years ago.

We did notice a few improvements since last time but again a little more TLC would work wonders. One of the (spacious) rooms now has a small kitchen corner which is useful - but the kitchen tap swivels round and there was only a very limited selection of kitchen utensils. However it was good enough for our brief stay - we only self-catered breakfasts and lunches - and a fridge is always very useful.

The first night we were kept awake by a party at one of the nearby bars, but this appeared to be an isolated occurrence. We would probably stay here again if we came back. It would be quite difficult to beat the location! And the prices are very fair too.

We would certainly recommend this hotel if you don't mind things a little on the "basic" side and a bit rough around the edges. But you can't really expect luxury for this price!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!