“Sugar Reef Bequia” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Bequia
london
“Sugar Reef Bequia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have now found our ideal place to stay in Bequia.
The rooms are all gorgeous, stylish Caribbean and very comfortable.
To walk straight out of your room onto the hammock on the beach to watch the sunrise was my idea of heaven.
Fabulous friendly staff and excellent food.
It was a real haven after busy days and somewhere that I long to return to.
I could not recommend Sugar Reef more highly.

Mrs Largeplate. London

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the beach and all wonderful
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

a lovely evening spent in a beautiful restaurant! The restaurant has been tastefully decorated and is in a lovely location. we all enjoyed our food and were plesantly surprised with the cost as it turned out to be relatively inexpensive. the owner showed us around the rooms and i would love to stay there maybe on my next trip to bequia!The staff are very friendly and i can honestly say we were sad to go home!!!It is definately worth looking at and is open all year round unlike other restaurants that are shut in low season.may2013

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Pinehurst, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Miss Catherine and I just returned to Pinehurst from two wonderful weeks in SVG & St. Lucia. Our first half of the trip was on smaller, slow paced and way more laid back Bequia. My favorite place on the entire trip was at Sugar Reef on Crescent Bay and Beach - if there is heaven ion earth - this is it. And to go with that lofty statement the ENTIRE staff - from the owner to the chefs - the all live up to this heavenly expectation. We will go back soon and often!

Room Tip: They give you the PERFECT choice to make - if you want to mingle with everyone and be closer to the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I cannot rave enough about my stay at the Sugar Reef. It is a tranquil, beautiful setting about a 10 minute ($12 U.S.) cab ride from the harbor. With only three guest rooms it is like having your own private villa. Proprietors Heather and Emmet are so warm and welcoming you truly feel like family - - in fact I even joined them for dinner one night!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My wife and I arrived on the 8th march from a rainy cold London to what can only be described as paradise. Heather and emmet the owners welcomed us as great hosts and showed us to our beautiful room which opens out onto an amazing quite beach.
Sugar reef is just the most perfect place ever. I do not think I have relaxed and unwound any where this quick. The staff are all so helpful and make the time here just perfect.
The food at sugar reef is just A+ the chief - she is just fantastic . The breakfast is fresh fruits followed by fresh home made pastries or pumpin bread or apple crumble it always changes but always tastes beautiful . This is followed by a yogurt with local honey over it..... Totally tasty
I would also wish to say a big thank you to Kenvil (kay) as he makes your stay here at sugar reef a pleasure he is always helpful charming and delivers perfect friendly service.
To to summarise sugar reef it is simply the most perfect place to stay, it's quiet with the sound of the waves crashing the beach is just amazing the staff are all helpful friendly and make your stay here perfect . A massive thank you to all.
I would 100% recommend this place to any one seeking there own bit of paradise

A very relaxed Andy & Jane
Coming back as soon as possible

Room Tip: My advice for coming to the island is pack swim wear and shorts as suitcase might not arrive in the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Sugar Reef in February 2013, and we're sure it will always be a vacation getaway we will never forget. The primary aspect that drew us to Sugar Reef was its location abutting a nature preserve on the northeastern of the island. Nestled in a cluster of green hills with a panoramic view of the turquoise ocean (Industry Beach) and rolling green hills, the closest neighboring property to the French House was barely in earshot. In fact, the only thing you could hear was the steady murmur of breaking waves and tropical birds. And this is exactly what we wanted - nature, peace and privacy.

Granted, we happened to be the only guest staying at French House at the time (other than Sugar Reef's super talented interior designer, Jonathan Berger, who happened to be doing some finishing touches on the nearby restaurant). Nonetheless, considering the layout of the house and open terrace, there is plenty of shared space to accommodate several guests....not to mention our super accommodating house attendant, Rosie - who served us breakfast every morning, made our bed and answered all of our "tourist" questions with a warm smile.

Having stayed at both the beach house and French House (Baliceaux), we really got to experience Sugar Reef inside and out. On arrival, we were greeted by Christine and Devon, who were brought in to run Sugar Reef during it's initial launch. On a side note, if you run a hotel and need someone to run it better, Christine and Devon know what they are doing! I wish I remembered their last names, but I'm sure Sugar Reef owners (Heather and Emmet) could get you that info.

Our first night there we stayed in one of the beach rooms - the perfect transition from Brooklyn, NY!!! The sound of the waves rocked us both to sleep like babies. Getting to walk out the back door, just steps from the beach, is an amazing experience and feeling.

First day, we laid out, did some snorkeling (there is snorkeling gear available to use....and a kayak) and had a wonder lunch at the restaurant. Keep in mind, Industry Beach is on the windward side. By no means is it like the north shore of Maui, but it can be a little rough. The day we were there, it was a little too windy to kayak...and a little too stirred up for snorkeling.

We settled for laying under the palm trees with a rum punch from the bar and a good book to read at Industry Beach.....an excellent first day in paradise.

For nights 2-7, we stayed at the French House, which as mentioned, provides stellar views and nature-induced peace and quiet. Yoga on the terrace, dip in the pool, nap in the hammock, star gazing at night....it's the ideal life for lounging...or as they say in the Caribbean...liming.

Now, with all this praise, keep in mind that Bequia is not for everyone.

We really appreciated Sugar Reef website's "Go or No" section, as it's easy to see that Bequia is not for everybody. In other words, if you can't live without A.C. (not that you need it anyway) and television (there is wifi) or don't like mosquito netting over your bed, then Bequia is not for you. But, as mentioned, this is exactly the kind of getaway my wife and I were looking for.

General Tips:

You will want to get out and explore the island (something which we will do more of for our next visit). You may want to consider renting a car. You will definitely need to take a cab if you want to go into town ($30EC one way) or Princess Margaret Beach ($50EC or about $20US one way). I'm not sure what the daily rental for a car is, but I imagine you will save in costs for an extended stay. We wanted to explore Moon Hole, and probably would have if we had rented a car. Not that it wasn't suggested, it was simply our choice to be more homebodies this time around.

Also, keep in mind that the walk down from French House to the restaurant/Industry Beach is a 10 minute walk (roughly half a mile). While it's no problem going down, it's a workout going up. No problem for my wife and I (we're pretty fit), but you should keep this in mind. Lucky for us, our hosts were super kind and offered to drive us back to the French House. If you stay in one of the beach rooms, you need not worry as much about transportation, unless you're going into town....

If you are staying in the French House, buy some food in town. The Sugar Reef restaurant is amazing, but since the French House has a kitchen, you might as well buy some odds and ends (i.e. rum and punch). The continental breakfast is definitely better than your typical "continental" breakfast (fresh fruit, banana bread, yogurt/granola), but after 7 days straight, you're probably going to want some variety. I personally recommend mixing your passion fruit with the yogurt and granola :) The honor bar (beer and soda) was very appreciated. $5EC Hairoun beers isn't bad at all!

Snorkeling:

I did hear that you can enter the water by the turtle sanctuary (not really worth visiting on its own, imho) and drift snorkel around the north tip leading into Industry Bay. This is not for sissies, though. While it always looks scarier standing from the shore, you don't want to do this if it's your first time snorkeling.

My advice is to definitely spend a day out at Princess Margaret Beach and adjacent South Bay. The waves are super calm and the snorkeling (southern end of Princess Margaret) is fantastic. Had a great dinner at a restaurant on the Lower Bay (forget the name!) right on the beach, but I heard that several of these "Locals" restaurants on Lower Bay are good. Jacks (on Princess Margaret) just seemed like an overpriced trap for the sailboat traffic.

I also hear the Friendship Rose boat to Tobago Kays offers the best snorkeling (something we will do next time). Be sure to book well in advance (they only sail a couple times each week). You can do so at their office on Port Elizabeth. On that note, I recommend taking a walk around Port Elizabeth (on the seawalk) by the water. Nice setting to grab a drink and do some liming.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I spent a week in one of their fantastic beach front rooms. The place is fantastically located with the sea breeze keeping you cool.

They have a restaurant on site and you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't try the Chicken roti!

Sugar reef is a great base from which to explore the rest of the island or a wonderful place to while away the days under a palm tree, to the sound of roaring waves...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sugar Reef Bequia? Share your experiences!