“Not a bad location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Kingstown
St. John's, Antigua
“Not a bad location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband and I were attending a conference at a nearby church and stayed there for three days. Since we spent most of the day at the church we did not really get a chance to appreciate the hotel and any of its amenities. However, the proximity of the hotel to the town was a plus. It did not necessitate the use of transpotation, but it did require good walking shoes. I did not have the privilege of dining in and after checking in, I did not come in contact with any of the employees. I was kinda concerned about security since on entering the building there was no sign of physical presence.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the New Montrose twice, once in September for two weeks and once in November for a week... Septembers stay was great! Internet was awesome the hotel rates were great and the room was very comfortable. It featured two beds living area and a small kitchen with stove and refrigerator. The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from town and 5 from a major supermarket which has a deli. The bad thing at that time about Montrose was that you won't be able to get an early breakfast, so for travellers who need to leave early consider breakfast on the go. On the second visit I got the same great rate but this time there were very mant shortcomings. The internet service was poor and so was the housekeeping service. The owner and manager was away and I guess the staff took it as their time to slack off on their duties. All in all, the stay got better as I complained. The New Montrose is really a nice place to stay, you have a view of the city and harbour and guests that I meet there are really nice people too. No pool or Gym but the room is quite cozy!

• Stayed November 2011
Naples, Florida, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

We stayed at the New Montrose 3 night during a 16 day vacation in the British WIndwards. The staff was very accommodating and allowed us early check in. The room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel was almost empty and they should not have tried to use the restaurant because no one there knew how to cook. I got the worst meal of my l ife and also the most expensive meal of my vacation at the hotel (Skirt steak covered with A-! sayce, boiled potatoes and carrots?!?!) Anyway the place was close to shopping and right on the public transportation route (Also known as the dollar vans) and close to a lovely Botanical Garden so we made the best of it and used public transportation to get around to some of the island's few tourist attractions.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

The Staff was very friendly, and most helpful in assisting me and my friends with tours and entertainment. The Food in the resturant was delicious. Our rooms were clean and very comfortable. The view was Magnificent. The location is excellent, we were close enough to walk to town. We were close to the Botanical Gardens. I would love to return to The New Montrose Hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
zuniccircle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

Which was noticed and appreciated! Two friends and I visited Saint Vincent for the first time and chose the New Montrose Hotel. What an excellent choice me made. The room was very spacious and the staff very accommodating, The cooks prepared delightful meals, we ate several meals in the breezy kitchen. The owners were very helpful in planning and organized our tours. Each room is air condition, and has a balcony, the view was breath taking from there. One morning we watched the cruise ship come into port. The location is great, near the airport, bontanical garden and the local shops. The room is also equipped with a kictchen for those of you who like to cook. The local people are very friendly and helpful. The waterfall is very beautiful and the bamboo bridge is (WOW) you have to see it. Overall the stay was fantastic.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Caribbean
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip. Here are the positives & negatives:

Positives:
1. Room was very clean
2. Cost of room with kitchenette - good value
3. Customer service was good
4. Liked the idea of a central iron & ironing board. It was not very busy when I stayed so this service was always available. In some hotels I have to wait ages for an iron after asking for one and I found a central ironing station much more convenient for me - I can just go & get it done
5. Kitchenette was reasonably equiped for 1 person only: with 1 pot [no cover], 1 kettle, 1 frying pan, 1 plate, 2 cups, 1 bowl + cutlery. This may be a disadvantage if the room has more than 1 person.
6. Room nicely laid out & furniture in good condition

Negatives:
1. Noisy A/C unit
2. Hotel is 220V only and had no adapter for guests - very inconvenient. If the hotel will not provide adapters [at least 1/room would be expected] then they should alert guests to the 220V situation on their website
3. Only 7 TV stations - 2 movie, 2 news, 2 sports & 1 local. A bit more variety would have been nice
4. Had to keep remembering to turn off the gas otherwise room would smell of gas. An electric stove would have been more convenient
5. No microwave therefore anything to be reheated had to be done on stove
6. Hot water & cold water bath-tub taps turn in oppsoing directions. After being douse with cold water one morning as I attempted to turn off the cold water pipe I learnt my lesson.

Overall the stay was satisfactory.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

The staff was amazing. They were some of the friendliest people I could have asked for. They went well out of their way to arrange what was needed. Belinda took us on a tour of the Botanical Gardens and Vincent offered to take us along on a day trip with him around the island.

The rooms were nice and clean. The balcony view was amazing along with the view from the top of the restaurant. The AC wasn't too powerful but it did the job. The shower wasn't the hottest but it didn't need to be with temperatures outside and the humidity. I had room 6 which overlooked the sea. Even from the shower, you could look out over the ocean. My coworker had room 11 which only gave him a view of the restaurant entrance so ask for oceanside.

The cost wasn't bad but there are added taxes. I think it was a 10% and then another 15% tax on top of that. I'm pretty sure you'll find that no matter where you stay in St Vincent though. Those taxes were added to the room, food, and the drinks in the restaurant. The food was above average and the bar came in handy. The entire island seemed to go to bed around 9:30 or 10 pm but the restaurant/bar in the hotel stayed open until 11. I'm used to later nights so when they were closing for the night, we'd buy some 6 packs and hang out on the balconies.

The location was convenient for everything we needed. Downtown was only a mile or so away. Campden Park area was just over the hill. The dock area to catch a ferry to Bequia was right down the road as well.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to The New Montrose Hotel? Share your experiences!