“Quaint place in the heart of Kingstown” 4 of 5 stars

The Cobblestone Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bay St., Kingstown, St. Vincent   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Kingstown
Muntinlupa, Philippines
“Quaint place in the heart of Kingstown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I live on a neighboring island and needed to stay a night in St. Vincent before flying out the following day. I chose Cobblestone Inn because it was close to the airport (not walking distance but close enough), and right in the middle of everything I needed to do in Kingstown before I left. It is in the part of town close to the supermarkets, the banks, shops, other bars and restaurants. By day, the part of Kingstown where the inn is located is bustling with activity. By night, it get's quiet, except for the weekends (so I heard). It was a Tuesday night when I was in town and the place was quiet.

Some reviews say it's in a dangerous part of Kingstown, I would disagree. Any place that is unfamiliar would seem dangerous. But there are a number of restaurants open at night around the inn, and there are plenty of people out and about. As in any town, if you are unfamiliar with the place then avoid dark alleyways. I walked around the area in the evening and did not feel unsafe.

The hotel was a nicely renovated old stone building. If you walk around there are lots of common areas where guests can sit outside of the small rooms. It had 2 bars and restaurants (Basil's downstairs) and another one adjacent to the nice rooftop deck. The rooftop restaurant was closed when I was there and I left too early to enjoy breakfast. You could, as I did, get a drink from Basil's, then walk it up to the rooftop deck with a view of the sea.

I had the smallest "budget" room. It was adequate. It had a comfortable bed, although the linens could be better. The clean bathroom had hot and cold running water with towels and toiletries, although the towels could be thicker and the toiletries of better quality (I used my own). The TV was working and there was high speed, wireless internet. The small room had a tiny balcony (also the room's "window") that looks out into the entrance courtyard. There was a writing desk and chair, telephone and closet space. It was enough for me for one night, and if I were staying (by myself) in Kingstown longer, I wouldn't mind staying in that small room again. For 2 people though it's a bit small. For US$60/ night, it was good value for the price paid.

My only complaint about the hotel is that there are artificial plants everywhere - in the rooms and public areas. These "plants" gather dust, and I had a mild allergic reaction to the dust when I was there. Nothing major though. The hotel overall is clean except for the dusty artificial plants. I'm sure there are real plants that can be placed in the rooms and common areas to add color and life to the space.

Room Tip: The small "budget" room is good value if you are alone and not staying in town for too lon...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This small boutique hotel is centrally located in the middle of Kingstown and is good for business trips, especially as there are limited places to stay in Kingstown. I spent 2 nights at this hotel and the service was very good. The first night I had a standard room and did not like hearing people walking on the wooden floor above me. The next night I was given an upgrade to a suite on the ground floor and it was lovely and quiet. If you are planning to visit St. Vincent for business or for an overnight stay you can try this hotel but try to get a suite.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Gros Islet, St. Lucia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I went to Bequia for Valentine's Day weekend. We arrived too late to catch the ferry so we spent the night at the Cobblestone. We were a little frightened initially as someone was on the street screaming for the police as we approached the hotel. Once inside we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel had lots of character. We had a large room with two double beds. There was a lot of street noise though. The bathroom was decent although the door didn't completely close. There were no toiletries were supplied. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was decent if not terribly exciting. The hotel is less than a five minute walk to the ferry terminal making it a great location for those heading off to other islands.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bar Harbor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This renovated sugar mill was a joy to stay in; the staff was extremely accessible, friendly and helpful, the room was clean and comfortable, and the associated rooftop cafe has a wonderful view of the harbor. My husband and I stayed overnight on our way to and from Bequia, and found we could walk to and from the ferry terminal with no trouble. If you are looking for an affordable place to stay between the airport and the ferries to the rest of the Grenadines, the Cobblestone Inn is a delight!

Room Tip: Rooms off the street are a but quieter, and terrace views allow you to enjoy the lush, tropical plan...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Compared to other places I've stayed in St. Vincent, Cobblestone makes itself the best choice! With great rates and an awesome location (smack in the middle of town) you cant ask for more. They have free Hi-speed WiFi, the rooms are cozy and their decor is antique! It somewhere you can appreciate with what they have done with the resources they have. You won't get a view to the ocean from your room or balcony, but their hospitality is warm and friendly. They have a restaurant and bar on property and most food places in town are in walking distance (KFC, subway etc). Oh, they got some wiring in some of the rooms such that you have to turn on a light switch to get the plugs working (220v). It's a good hotel, night security guard. 24hr tea station and great ARCHITECTURE!

Room Tip: "There are some rooms which are just across the dining room. If you wish to sleep late you may...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Port of Spain, Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Well this trip was a quick getaway from the crazy carnival long-weekend in Trinidad. My 3 friends and I opted to stay in town since we weren't renting a car. Two of them had stayed there last year and convinced me that it was value for money. We were literally a few steps away from the town. The taxi stand is like a 2 minute walk which made our commute very easy. Vendors were outside the building selling their goods. Anything from local produce to handcrafted souvenirs. There are two restaurants at the hotel. One upstairs where we had breakfast only.(nothing spectacular) and the other Basil's was where we had lunch and dinner. Food was good but a little expensive. We also ate at Aggie's on the hill which is about a 15min. walk from Cobblstone. Great local dishes at an even greater price. In house service was good. Anything we wanted they pretty much gave to me and my other friends who are like 'divas'...lol. Our last nite there we invited a few friends over and had wine n cheese on the rooftop deck, under the stars.
Not much nite time activities. During the day you can visit the Grenadines. We saw Young Island which is in Villa bout a 15min drive and you just hop the really small ferry for free. Beautiful resort to grab drinks and food at the bar for a day out. Oh and you have to visit Dark View waterfall in Richmond. Its a bout 1hr drive from the Kingstown but you get great views along the way. We saw where Pirate's of the Caribbean was filmed so I know you don't want to miss that. It's like a little museum where you will find clothes that was used in the film along with pictures of the entire cast. On the other side of the island(winwards) we drove all the way to Owia where there is a Salt water pond. On a clear day you can even see the island of St. Lucia. We didn't have time to visit the volcano on this trip so that means we will have to go back...lol.
Hope this was helpful.

Room Tip: Room 28 is the best room but it is the 1st one and its on the ground floor, so you might hear some n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

There are not too many places in town, but this is certainly a nice one.
The building has more charm than most and is fairly old, but well looked after.
Rooms are clean, and comfortable.

Breakfast was disappointing though - my $6 bowl of cornflakes was crawling with ants, something I only noticed once I was most of the way through due to the dim light where I was seated. I told reception about this, (who then informed the restaurant), but they didn't offer to discount the breakfast, since I'd eaten most of it! Not impressed.

I probably would stay there again, but I'd be more wary about the kitchen hygiene.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingstown
Blue Lagoon Hotel and Marina
Sunset Shores Beach Hotel
Sunset Shores Beach Hotel
#4 of 4 in Arnos Vale
4.0 of 5 stars 40 reviews

Been to The Cobblestone Inn? Share your experiences!