I live on a neighboring island and needed to stay a night in St. Vincent before flying out the following day. I chose Cobblestone Inn because it was close to the airport (not walking distance but close enough), and right in the middle of everything I needed to do in Kingstown before I left. It is in the part of town close to the supermarkets, the banks, shops, other bars and restaurants. By day, the part of Kingstown where the inn is located is bustling with activity. By night, it get's quiet, except for the weekends (so I heard). It was a Tuesday night when I was in town and the place was quiet.
Some reviews say it's in a dangerous part of Kingstown, I would disagree. Any place that is unfamiliar would seem dangerous. But there are a number of restaurants open at night around the inn, and there are plenty of people out and about. As in any town, if you are unfamiliar with the place then avoid dark alleyways. I walked around the area in the evening and did not feel unsafe.
The hotel was a nicely renovated old stone building. If you walk around there are lots of common areas where guests can sit outside of the small rooms. It had 2 bars and restaurants (Basil's downstairs) and another one adjacent to the nice rooftop deck. The rooftop restaurant was closed when I was there and I left too early to enjoy breakfast. You could, as I did, get a drink from Basil's, then walk it up to the rooftop deck with a view of the sea.
I had the smallest "budget" room. It was adequate. It had a comfortable bed, although the linens could be better. The clean bathroom had hot and cold running water with towels and toiletries, although the towels could be thicker and the toiletries of better quality (I used my own). The TV was working and there was high speed, wireless internet. The small room had a tiny balcony (also the room's "window") that looks out into the entrance courtyard. There was a writing desk and chair, telephone and closet space. It was enough for me for one night, and if I were staying (by myself) in Kingstown longer, I wouldn't mind staying in that small room again. For 2 people though it's a bit small. For US$60/ night, it was good value for the price paid.
My only complaint about the hotel is that there are artificial plants everywhere - in the rooms and public areas. These "plants" gather dust, and I had a mild allergic reaction to the dust when I was there. Nothing major though. The hotel overall is clean except for the dusty artificial plants. I'm sure there are real plants that can be placed in the rooms and common areas to add color and life to the space.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Offering a warm welcome, pleasant ambiance and convenient facilities for business and leisure travelers, the Cobblestone Inn is the ideal accommodation in Kingstown, St. Vincent and the Grenadines.ABOUTThe Cobblestone Inn has been recreated in its original Georgian splendor by the skilled craftsmen on St. Vincent, using the same materials as were originally available. Built as a sugar warehouse and lately used for arrowroot, the building dates back to1814.Ideally situated, the hotel boasts the perfect location for all travelers. Located in the heart of the Kingstown business district the hotel is fifteen minutes from the airport, fifteen minutes to the beach and is surrounded by shopping, open markets, businesses, entertainment and restaurants. The hotel is close to access points for easy access to tourist attractions in the city as well as ports to visit neighboring islands including world famous Mustique Island.ROOMSThe hotel’s plentiful list of amenities ensures your stay meets your every desire and expectation. With eclectic and elegant guestrooms maintaining the hotel’s original Georgian splendor your experience is enhanced with detailed and attentive service and complimentary wifi.RESTAURANTYou’ll find the very best in Caribbean and Continental Cuisine at our Roof-Top Bar and Restaurant. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Cobblestone Hotel Kingstown
- Cobblestone Hotel Kingstown
- The Cobblestone Inn St. Vincent/Kingstown