“Marketing and reality are too far away” 3 of 5 stars

Buccament Bay Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Buccament Bay, St. Vincent   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in St. Vincent
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Marketing and reality are too far away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

It is not all that rosy contrary to many (most?) other reviews.
First, getting to and from St.Vincent is not easy. When we arrived to Barbados we were met at airside by BB rep who took care about directing us through a short-cut transit way and arranged the bags to be collected from VAA flight and transferred to the commuter flight which was about to take us to St.Vincent some 3 hours later. Also we were given vouchers for business lounge in airport. This was a very positive experience. A negative experience was on the way back when we’ve been heading home. Nobody met us at Barbados, you can’t use short-cut transit on your own. You shall go with all passengers to arrivals through the customs and immigration, collect bags, walk another 500 meters to VAA check-in desk, check-in, customs, immigration again, security etc. And no lounge unless you have your own means to access it. Barbados is OK airport but it was never designed to make flight connections like that. Basically it left a feeling that Buccament Bay makes an effort to please you on arrival and forgets about you immediately after check-out.
A small Twin-Otter plane took us from Barbados and only when we landed on the island we realized this is not St.Vincent yet. In total you have to make 4 (four!!!) hops on this small plane before reaching St. Vincent, enjoying the comfort similar to 1950 VW Beetle for about 3 hours.
Buccament Bay managers claiming it will all change with a new international airport opening in St.Vincent “soon”. Developer’s website says it will be open in 2011. I’ve checked this and find out that new airport is scheduled to open mid-2013, in two years from now if government is lucky but concerning problems with funding this can be delayed much further. Generally I feel there are too many lies from developer. I’m not an investor but after meeting quite a few investors on resort I’ve decided to take a look at developer’s website. Another silly claim is “The Buccament Bay Resort is situated on the southwest coast of St Vincent and is a 15 minute drive from both the existing and proposed airports”. Ferrari and a license to kill will not get you in 15 minutes from current airport. 45 minutes is more or less what it takes. Why they need to lie on such small things?
Upon arrival to St.Vincent we were met and transferred to resort by mini bus. We’ve seen that sometimes arriving guests are brought to the resort by a boat which should be a nice way, not sure what it depends from.
Absolutely most of the resort staff is very friendly and trying to accommodate your requests with a smile. A keyword here is “trying” because many (or most?) of them are clearly lack of experience and training. This is probably not very surprising due to tourism industry on St.Vincent is not developed at all and they had to hire many people with no experience. However this should not be an excuse to not train staff properly, especially for the place positioning itself as a luxury resort. I don’t understand the idea of assigning a young guy to collect drink orders on the beach if he don’t know what kind of drink is Martini Rosso (red) on the rocks (can it be simpler?). Said that some of the staff are really brilliant and helpful.
Taking a walk through the resort you can watch literally dozens of staff moving or driving around. Honestly I have no idea what they all doing. But exactly the minute you need one of them – there is nobody around. That’s what I am calling a magic. Also I believe they should have planned to have a service road for the carts. Although the staff driving carts is very careful and always stopping to give you the way, it not looks like an efficient way of doing things.
We spent 2 weeks at resort end of June / early July and most of the time it was half empty which boosted our experience as we faced no queues, you can take any sun bed wherever you want and accompany it with as many umbrellas as you like. Same time very often you can’t find anybody nearby to make your sun bed and bring towels.
Sunbeds and the rest of equipment on the beach and by the pool is a good quality and look nice but I’m not assured it will last long. Due to frequent rains cushions are getting wet and not drying up properly. Some of them are already quite dirty.
The food was a biggest downside of our experience at Buccament Bay. When we booked we were assured that at least 5 restaurants will be open in June. I tend to believe that travel agent was misinformed by resort management because later on the site we’ve experienced similar overstatements on another matters. Basically there is a place called “Bamboo” for a breakfast and it also serves buffet style dinner. Breakfast variety is OK and eatable but not really 5 stars. Dinner offering varies every evening, some days were OK, some not, but anyway you can’t really consider this place belongs to a 5 star luxury resort. Still we went a couple of times for a dinner there just to change the venue!
The other place serving lunch and dinner is “the Bay” which offers a la carte menu and referred by hotel management as a “fine dining” place. Fine dining place cannot serve drinks and wine in a plastic cups!!! PERIOD.
Furniture and ambience are resembling a fast food outfit. Menu looks great on a first look. However the taste can be a hit or miss and even the course which was good last evening could have a different taste later on. Menu is slowly changing though the week but let me assure you will try the same course many times during your stay. Resort is experiencing planning/ logistics problems with a food. Almost every night you will be advised that this or that course is not available. I recall one night as many as 4 main courses out of 6 were not available. Why don’t they re-print the menu then? One day we’ve got a Greek salad without feta and it took them some time to admit they run out of feta. The worst thing is that you have to stick to the Bay. We spent 14 days at resort, which means you will eat at this place 28 times. I don’t think I’m visiting that often my favorite restaurant in a year. And surely if that restaurant will be located in my home town they stand no chance to see me ever again after a first try. Wine choice within all-inclusive section is ok but they don’t have any fine wines even you ready to pay for it. Staff at the Bay can be anything from great to hopeless. I guess Brits are used to a bad food and believe this is ok, but in Continental Europe this restaurant will be bankrupt in a matter of weeks.
But this wasn’t enough and on our last day at resort they’ve permanently closed Bamboo which means you will have breakfast at the Bay now too, making it 42 visits in 2 weeks.
Grill bar on the beach is a good place to have a burger, chicken wings or some salad. Place called “HQ” is serving ice cream, fresh juice, wraps and some other take-away stuff. Out of plenty juices on the offer half of them were not available. In 14 days they never had an orange or mango juice. Wraps are quite ok.
Overall the food offering is not even close to a real 5 stars and there is nowhere to go for a fine dining outside the resort either.
During our first week of stay one of the managers told me they opening a sushi bar next week. Great! Next week came with no sushi on horizon. When I asked other senior staff about it they said “we are talking internally about opening a sushi bar for quite some time but we haven’t even found a sushi chef yet”. I can’t really believe the manager didn’t knew that, I rather feel he was rather not aware that we going to stay on resort for 2 weeks and felt free to make false promises.
Buccament Bay website claims two more restaurants will be opening in July. Absolutely no way! There is no sign of them and even managers refrained to promise this.
Villas are large size; furniture and décor are quite nice. Living room at the villa is not air conditioned so we had to stay in bedroom most of the time there. Fixed shutters leaving you with a choice of sitting in the dark or get full room of mosquitoes. Plunge pool is nice but only when you stay at beach front villa. Hot water supply is enough for one person to get a shower; hopefully you enjoy cold shower like I do :) Unless you request for a daily change, towels and bed linens are changed every 3 days. Is that really something you expect from a luxury resort??? Room service can easily forget to restock the minibar and to replenish bathroom amenities. Mosquito are all around and small ponds (look more like a swamps) between villas make it worse.
There are some weird small things you can notice. All power sockets in villas are UK standard. Same time lots of electrical appliances are made for US market and connected through the ugly big converters. And the iron in our villa was European continental plug with no adapters accompanying.
Kids club is very good, well equipped and run by nice friendly ladies.
Another great thing was the big white catamaran “Sea and wind” taking guests for cruises and excursions. First days of July it was permanently changed to another catamaran supplier, much smaller, older and not really designed for open deck seating. Sounds like Buccament Bay decided to save some bucks.
Construction works were not really disturbing us during our stay except for a few days when they worked on a fence nearby the Bay and pool. Maybe it will be different if you get a villa further down through the resort and closer to the building site.
There are plenty of disorders in service and I’m afraid it will be worse when hotel is full, unless they really start investing into staff training. Looking at number of villas which are still under construction and especially 2 hotel buildings which should be opened one day, this resort may turn into a large mess. I guess they will open more restaurants sooner or later however they can’t expand the beach which is about the right size to feel comfort and space at the current max capacity but not much more than that.
All in all this is a wonderful resort spoiled by amateur service and lack of eating places. Apart from big things they need a fine tuning in almost all other aspects if they want to be sustainable and attract people who are used to the luxury resorts. Current offers in travel packages are somewhat ok but still not cheap by all means. The price tag if you want to book through Harlequin or Expedia directly is within $1000…2000 range per night. This brings them into a Four Seasons league price wise but they are light years behind in everything else.
If you can book this place reasonably cheap and don’t mind to eat mediocre food 3 times a day in the same place, maybe it worth a try. For us it is definitely not.

Room Tip: Beach front villas are much better
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed at BB for a week at the end of June 2011 travelling from the UK via Barbados. I was initially encouraged by the marketing in various brochures and websites which had repeated the hotel’s own promotional guff almost verbatim without checking what was actually there and available (Virgin, Kuoni, Tropical sky, Carib tours etc should know better). We would not have booked had we known the ‘work in progress’ nature of the resort and facilities. I did my research too late (after booking!) and was both apprehensive and optimistic about what we’d find in reality.

Firstly the trip via Barbados and onward transfers were handled very well. We were met by a ground rep at Barbados who whisked through to a lounge awaiting our onward flight. Our rep appeared again before we boarded our 15 seater SVG plane and assured us that our luggage was on board. A one-stop trip via Mustique and we landed at St Vincent to be met at the airport by BB reps and put into a very acceptable courtesy car for the road trip to BB. It took about 40 mins most of which was due to traffic in Kingstown and the winding road to the resort (the return took a similar time and we were escorted to the check-in by the very helpful BB rep who made sure we had no problems). The area surrounding the resort isn’t the most picturesque leaving you wondering what you’ve done as you pull into the resort. The resort looks like a film set amongst its semi-developed Caribbean surroundings, the change from local dark sand to BB imported sand emphasising the transformation.

I don’t usually mention welcomes (or towels) but the two of us were met from our car by the Resort Manager, Office Manager, a couple of porters for the bags, others i can’t remember, a steel band, welcome cocktails... completely OTT and charming.

We were taken straight to our villa to complete our paperwork (nice touch) and asked to sign the most ridiculous waiver indemnifying the hotel against any risks to ourselves during our stay including those ‘caused by the negligence of BB or its agents’. I didn’t sign it and no-one chased for it but others did sign. I can’t believe a 5 star aspiring resort would think this acceptable.

The villa was very nice inside, great bed, shower, closet, free wi-fi, big flat screen. Only one massive fault the window/shutter solution chosen. All of the windows/doors were fixed slatted shutters. You either had the shutters closed and so were in darkness or open and on view to the resort. In the bedroom there was a second layer of glass so the room was mosquito tight but the living area was a constant buzz as the creatures could come through the slats at will. We got bitten badly as did many other guests. Some grown men resorted to walking around in socks to prevent the ankle biting that continued despite best precautions.

I’m also not sure what was being smoked when the plans were drawn up to have a water pond outside each villa. What may have been a good idea on paper was poor visually and the stagnant looking water made an ideal environment for mozzys as did the rainforest and mountainous hills that surround the resort. Sitting outside the villa was unpleasant.
Some good stuff, the beach and sun lounging facilities were great. Massive beach, loads of loungers, pools you can actually swim in, great drinks service. The staff were great we sensed none of the ‘training on the job’ mentioned by others, we got smiles, interaction and a will to make everyone happy which is all we could ask for.

Food was also very good. One restaurant was open which served lunch and dinner. Breakfast was served under a tent on a bit of beach which was very pleasant. This place also opened in the evening to provide themed buffet dining. Food quality/choice for breakfast and lunch was very good and there were other options in a beach grill and a really good coffee/ice cream shop which also served sandwiches. Dinner was great quality but the menu was virtually static for a week. We did get some local fish on the last night but they could do a lot better here if they sourced some local products. Quality of drinks was superior to other hotels we’ve been to but all were served in plastic ‘glasses’ which was naff and unappealing.

The gym was well equipped but stuffed into a couple of villas rather than 178 sq m facility advertised on the web site today. The spa was also in a villa, we were given complimentary treatments here that were very good (nice touch). The football programme looked professional and there’s a nice astro pitch with modern turf and some good coaches who organised a couple of good natured games with the guests.

Another great touch was the free cat cruises each evening from the beach along the coast where we were fortunate to see dolphins swimming alongside the boat.

The construction was no bother at all, it was well screened and mostly away from the action indeed it didn’t seem that frantic for a resort that presumably needs to ratchet up its guest numbers. Two apartment blocks are visible now and work on the next restaurant is still only at early stages despite the website saying it will be open in July (October according to those on site).

Overall we had a nice time here and for the low introductory price it was good value and a nicer experience than Blue Waters in Antigua last year as a comparator. I would have been going mad had we paid anywhere near the full price. I don’t see how they can charge more until the resort is finished.

My over riding anger here though is the way the marketing is so detached from the reality of the resort, some honesty about the facilities I will enjoy when I’m there is what I need not an artist’s impression of what will be there sometime in the future. As for re defining luxury in the Caribbean and true five-star service that’s a long way off at the moment.
I hope it works for the investors we met, some of whom had invested in other harlequin schemes. The premise of the whole business model seems flawed to me.

I also hope it works for the staff at BB who all worked hard to make our stay a satisfactory one.

Room Tip: all rooms have uk 3 pin plugs - no adaptors needed for brits
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
AABBJJKK, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable comments with us. As a new establishment, your feedback is very important to us and we are working accordingly on improving the resort. We do apologise that we were not able to meet your expectations. We are pleased to note that all other aspects of your stay with us have been to your full satisfaction. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future to fulfill your expectations.

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

a wonderful resort still being built but this in no way impacts on your holiday. Our villa was close to building site but it started late and had finished by the time you went back to the Villa in the afternoon. Not much noise.
Staff very helpful, can't do enough for you as you would expect on a 5* resort. Maxwell especially was on hand to sort out any teething problems very quickly and he was very helpful searching us out daily to ensure we were happy. The beach and pool are fantastic no rushing to get sun loungers etc. plenty to go round. The sunset cruise was very good and we saw loads of Dolphin swimming with the boat. The only excursion we did was to Dark View falls and the location of the making of pirates of the Caribbean which was very good. We didn't do any other excursions but the people who did seemed to enjoy them. We hope to go back again in 2012 and see this developing resort get even better. We thoroughly recommend it if you want to get away from it all and relax!!

Room Tip: all Villa's are centrally located
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
AABBJJKK, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear Madam,

Thank you once for taking the time to share with us your observations concerning Buccament Bay Resort and for recommending us. We are pleased to note that all aspects of your stay with us have been to your full satisfaction. It would be our greatest pleasure to welcome you back next year to Buccament Bay Resort.

Sierra Vista, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

This was a "mother-daughter trip", and we couldn't have chosen a better place than Buccament Bay Resort. The staff was incredible, they were courteous, helpful and polite beyond belief.

The villas were super comfortable, clean, beautiful, tasteful. We loved our dipping pool. The whole experience was never to be forgotten for how wonderful everything was!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
AABBJJKK, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Dear Madam,

Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at Buccament Bay Resort and please us to know that you had a good time with us. We appreciate the fact that you took the time to write on us.

Looking forward to welcome you back at the resort

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

This is an absolutely fabulous place to visit. The service was the best we have experienced in any trips abroad. There is nothing that the staff won't do for you, within their powers. The bungalow was spacious and relaxing, air con in the bedroom was invaluable. Fresh fruit in the room every day. Housekeeping visited the room twice a day and at the evening one the bed was turned down for you to just get into and a tray with biscuits and flowers left. They also had a card with a saying for the day which was lovely. We have brought these cards home to show our friends and relatives. We liked everything about this "heaven on earth". We would particularly like to thank Naisha, Jamie, Michelle, Dianza, Alric, Samuel and Clifford, although there were lots of other staff whose names we either can't remember or did not know. When we walked about the resort everyone said either good morning or hello, they were so friendly. We would definitely recommend Buccament Bay to anyone thinking of visiting and we will definitely be visiting again as soon as possible.

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

We had the most fabulous fortnight here at BB with our 4 children. Fine dining food - excellent. Beach bar grill at lunchtime - excellent too. Breakfast full of choice. Brilliant caring kids club with plenty to do. Beautiful rooms - the most exquisitely decorated I have ever stayed in. Service almost exclusively 5 star. Professional, approachable management team who are very visible. Yes, this is going to be excellent when it is completed, but even half completed it is the most wonderful place to stay, and very child friendly.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
AABBJJKK, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for waiting the time in sharing your experience with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and specially the food and the kids club.

We hope to welcome you again soon

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

For my wife's birthday we stayed 7 nights in a beachfront villa. The view from the plunge pool, especially at sunset, was truly beautiful. I think if you are going to bother staying at this resort then a villa on the beach is the only way to go. Air-conditioning worked well but was really noisy and dripped water on you if you stood under the bedroom mirror. The shower was difficult to adjust to get hot water and was really noisey as if a whale had been trapped in the pipes. Oh and the toilet - don't expect to be able to flush twice within 5mins!
Alternative accomodation is spread over a vast area away from the beach and reminded me of a kind of mosquito-infested butlins resort. The whole place resembled a film-set which looks great from the front but then....
Building work is far from complete and if you are accomodated away from the beach then you may well be disappointed. The football and tennis facilities will surely cause some families disappointment - unfinished and surrounded by ugly construction work. Several restaurants advertised to open in July will 100% not be open. The spa is very close to on-going construction work which meant we couldn't have an outside couples massage but I must say our complimentary treatments were really good - the thai massage was first class.
The resort is full of staff - eveywhere - but it wasn't clear why they were all there. We were even appointed a personal guest assistant ( whatever that means) and he kept suddenly appearing on our decking without notice (at inappropriate moments) or on the beach - it became really annoying and we ended up making detours to avoid him. His job was to help us book our dinner tables or arrange trips - all of which we found quicker and easier to arrange ourselves in reception. The one job he promised to help with was to ensure my wife had a great birthday dinner. We booked our table well in advance and everyone at the resort was well aware of the special evening. We arrived at the restaurant to find our table had been taken so had to wait at the bar to be seated at a very noisy table right next to the bar. No special arrangement had been made and to make matters worse, once seated, we had to wait an additional 45mins for our starters to arrive.
Food was sometimes great and I believe the chefs are really talented but are being let down by the resort management. Certain items on the menu were never available, sometimes popular items would run out, and on one day kitchen facilities weren't even functioning properly. Not what you'd expect from a 5* resort. I think my wife receiving raw chicken on her caesar salad was totally unacceptable and equally unacceptable was the impassive response from the waitress to the matter.
When we stayed at buccament we felt like we were the only paying customers. All the other visitors we spoke to were all investors who had been flown out for free to stay at the resort and we felt like they were being looked after better than us.
This is a resort that looks lovely but hides the true story of a place that currently has "a head and body but no arms and legs".

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
AABBJJKK, General Manager at Buccament Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Buccament Bay Resort is a new establishment and we welcome all suggestions for improvement. We are disappointed that you experienced such a service during your stay for which I present you my apologies.

Issues like AC, shower, toilet, and poor service on your wife’s birthday are certainly unacceptable and we are saddened that they did not allow you to fully enjoy our resort and is certainly not how we treat our guests. We have implemented various improvements throughout the resort following your feedback.

You can rest assured that we will look into our standards of service to ensure that they live up to the experience we promise to our guests.

We are pleased to note that all other aspects of your stay with us have been to your full satisfaction including your Thai massage. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future to fulfill your expectations.

Mark Sawkins

Been to Buccament Bay Resort? Share your experiences!