“Lunch in the gardens with a view” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Inn   |   Golden Rock, Charlestown, Nevis   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Charlestown B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lancaster, PA
“Lunch in the gardens with a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

This really is a must see venue for lunch or dinner. Outstanding landscaping around the fish pools and truly a unique setting. i imagine it is stunning at night too. Best wahoo fish sandwich on nevis.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Golden Rock is the most beautiful resort I have ever seen. Walking into the outdoor dining area took my breathe away, the details that the owners have out in are second to none.

I hope to get the chance to visit here again, I must stay in Nevis!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Huntersville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had dinner as a group at Golden Rock. Originally it was a sugar plantation and still has the sugar tower which looks like it was transformed into a room for rent. We walked around on the paths at night and could tell that there was more to see in the day so we came back the next day and it was great. The grounds are full of great tropical foliage and well worth the time to walk. Dinner the night before was good and the atmosphere was great.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

The Golden Rock is golden...the decor, views, staff at the restaruant where we had lunch..I just wanted to stay forever. Unfortunately all we could do was lunch, but it was heavenly. If I could go back I'd definitely chose the Golden Rock for a few nights.

With a party of six, everyone chose differently; however it was my Tuna Nicoise that was the star..everyone else wanted it. Our waitress was a lovely local woman we so enjoyed talking to, another one was younger and very outgoing and fun. Very welcoming to non-guests.

Such a great spot; they all loved working in the beauty of the restaurant among the gardens, fish ponds, decor...outstanding!

Service and food was top notich. If you have a chance go for the beauty of the mountain side of Nevis. Hopefully it will never change.

Tranquilty with a splash of eccentricity....I sure wish I could have met the owners!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Massillon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely gorgeous and amazing!! So quiet and tranquil. A must go to place if you want peace and quiet. And the views are amazing!! Very zen-like and serene. There are so many trails and hidden little gems to discover. Very romantic.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Golden Rock Inn. I read an article a while back in T&L and never really forgot the pictures from the story, so I've wanted to check this place out for a while now. It was absolutely lovely - even better than the pictures!
Other reviewers have done a great job describing the gardens, so I won't repeat what's already out there, they are beautiful - it's a big part of the reason you'll want to stay here. The decor is minimalistic, which is very relaxing to the eye. There are pops of color here and there, with great pieces of outdoor furniture. It's an eclectic mishmash of campaign,classic, modern, and SE Asia feel that works really well. The devil's in the details - and someone got their details right :) The service is excellent, as others have mentioned as well. Peter and Sarah lead a staff of polite, thoughtful, friendly folks. The food is some of the best we ate on Nevis, and we tried nearly everything on the menu. The pool area is comfortable with great views of the Atlantic with large, comfortable loungers and towels available, and a covered patio with loungers for those that don't want sun (or to get out of the rain during a sudden downpour!).
We arrived in the late afternoon and had time to take a dip in the (chilly, but it's January) pool, and have a few drinks at the bar located in the old kitchen area of the Plantation. The bar is a lovely little spot with a few stools and a room just a level lower if you're more than two people, to sit and chat. There are oodles of spots around the property with a couple of chairs or tables to sit and have a chat, or just look at the garden. We had booked in to the Paradise bungalow, which is located on the lower side of the property. Although it sits right next to the main entrance, we were not disturbed at all the whole of our stay; and, in fact, I got some great snaps of a monkey from the balcony.
The room: Paradise is a simple cottage with a large and high king sized pineapple poster bed. My husband described it as a "tree house". The floors are whitewashed wood. There are no dressers, but shelves in the closet and a bookcase were enough for our clothes and things. There are plenty of hangers in the closet, as well as a safe which is large enough for a laptop/ipad, etc. Although, I doubt anything would go missing from this property, it's nice to tuck passports away. The bed linens were excellent quality. As others have noted, there is no A/C on property, so you'll be sleeping under the fans. The doors and windows are all screened, so insects won't be a problem inside. However, if you're mozzie meat, like me, don't forget to bring insect repellent for evenings! The bathroom is simple, one sink with a large vanity and three draws to store toiletries. There is a shower but not bath in this room. The balcony is actually a porch. It's very large and has a table and chairs, a loveseat, and a lounger. There is also a small table in the room that's a good space to use your laptop or do a bit of work. There is a beach bag with two towels for you to take off-campus - a nice touch.

The food and drink: The rum punch is a must, but it's a doozy! The food was excellent quality and well prepared, and an excellent value. Amongst our favorites: Mahi, the steak (a great cut of beef), the ribs, the lobster sandwich, the veg curry, and the burger. Breakfast was included in our rate and we enjoyed everything from the eggs benedict to the french toast. The chef made a birthday cake for me (thank you!) which I unfortunately, never had the chance to taste.
We rented a car, which Sarah arranged for us. They delivered the car to us (a $70US surcharge) and had me fill out paperwork for a Nevisian visitor's driver's license ($25US) which is good for 3 months.
We tootled around the island, which has one road all the way round, so it's pretty easy to navigate. We went (on Peter's suggestion) to Lime at Pinney's Beach one day for lunch and to get some good sun. I had the snapper, which had a lovely sauce. The Golden Rock has an arrangement with Lime to provide guests with loungers and an umbrella, also, a nice touch since the property is not on the shore.
We visited Sunshine's, The Four Seasons, Nisbet Plantation, Montpelier Plantation, and Bananas over the course of our stay. I'll review all of these place separately, but suffice it to say that they were all pleasant as well.

Here are a few tips and suggestions:
Sarah helped us get to the island (we flew to St. Kitts) by arranging for a taxi from St. Kitts' airport to a private boat (30ish minutes) to take us across the channel (a 10 minute ride), then a taxi to take us to the Inn from the boat (20-25 minutes). The cost of this was $25US taxi, $80US boat, $25US taxi. I recommend doing this because it saves so much time getting to and from. The boat holds 4 people, so on our way over, there was another couple, which brought the price to $40US for us. Sarah arranged everything in reverse for us as well, and we were allowed to leave the hire car at the boat dock (keys under mat!).
Bring what you need for your trip because A. there are no little shops close by and B. the shops on the island do not have a large selection. If you need a certain type of sun cream, you should bring it from home.
Driving: is on the left. Peter gave me a few tips so I'll include those along with my comments: Take is slow. Drivers often stop with no warning to chat with friends they see on the road. Drivers often just "park" their cars on either side of the road, so you'll have to creep around some parked vehicles on narrow roads with hills and turns you can't see around. Goats move out of the road, people may not! Some stand in the road and you must go around them :) Pavement is not always in the best state. There are some massive craters on the back roads in particular. For this reason, the hubcaps to the car were tie-wrapped on :) It's not hard, and it's an island, so you can't get lost and you're allowed to take your time.
There is no need to change your money, if you've got US dollars - most places will take US, but give you your change back in EC dollars. The exchange rate is $1US:$2.70EC.
For an island, I thought Nevis was a great value. The food and drink were all priced fairly, I never had sticker shock with any bills - there were no $20 drinks here.
If you want to buy some trinkets to take home, you'll be hard pressed to do so. Sadly, this is not a shopping island. I found a few things at the Four Seasons' gift shop, but there was nothing in town. The airport had some bibs and bobs on the way out, if you have to have something that says "Nevis" on it :)
Regarding the rooms: they are all sparsely, but adequately furnished. It would be helpful to have a mini-fridge in the room, as things warm up very quickly. Also, a shelf in the shower for products (in the Paradise bungalow).
It was a lovely, relaxing, quiet time away. We arrived home to cold and snow, but are still thinking about our days and nights in Nevis!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

December 2013. Nevis is a little jewel of loveliness in the Caribbean Sea and Golden Rock is the extra sparkly bit on the top. It is exquisitely pretty. Situated on the mountain above Gingerland it is high enough to be above the mosquito line with a lovely gentle breeze to keep you cool; no need for mosquito nets or air conditioning. The views across the sea to Redonda, Monserrat and Antigua are quite stunning.

In the day eat a lobster sandwich in the courtyard, enjoy a swim in the generous sized pool or go for a mountain hike. Watch out for the monkeys!

In the evening eat in the excellent terrace restaurant.

This hotel is delightfully un-hotelly. It feels exclusive and friendly. The staff are charming. I couldn't recommend it more.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Golden Rock Inn? Share your experiences!