“WASTE OF MY PRECIOUS HOLIDAY TIME” 1 of 5 stars

Bird Rock Beach Hotel
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   South Pelican Drive, Basseterre, St. Kitts   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Basseterre
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“WASTE OF MY PRECIOUS HOLIDAY TIME”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This hotel is very basic, i went with quite a large group, and on the first night one of the rooms was robbed whilst the three women were asleep in their bed. there was no background music or any music playing for that matter, there was a pool bar that had no staff operating it,just an empty bar. there was no entertainment, the food was quite basic,some rooms had fridges and cooking facilities, and others had none, forcing those people who had none to eat at the restaurant, which wasnt cheap, all i can say is, never again.

Room Tip: If you stay here, you need to check all the locks on all the doors
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
GPR_SKB, Manager at Bird Rock Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
We apologize if the hotel was in fact not up to standard and that your experience was not a pleasant one. It is a bit concerning that this review was posted almost 1 year after your stay. I’ve discussed it with the owner and some of the staff members that were here during your stay and this post is very unfortunate.

You came with a large group indeed and were given a very low rate after your pleading. Yes, some rooms have kitchenettes and some do not. The rooms with the kitchenette’s cost more and to get your very low rate, those rooms were out of the question. You claim the food in the hotel was expensive but our prices are in line with any other hotel restaurant and other restaurants in the tourist area. I hazard a guess that the entire vacation was a bit out of your reach.

Now the agreement was for you to pay in advance. You did not. Instead you said you would pay when you got here. When you checked in, you then said you will pay in the morning as your group is very tired. That same night you claimed there was an alleged robbery. We always tell guests to not sleep with their doors or windows open and please lock all valuables in the security box at the front office. This is the standard disclaimer for all hotels worldwide. This advice was ignored. It was unbelievable then and it is now you were robbed whilst so many slept in the room. The point of the matter is that you came to St. Kitts with no money with no intention of paying. To keep the peace and to avoid this type of smear campaign, you were not charged for your stay.

I’m not going to defend the rest of this review because it’s a blatant smear campaign and therefore you have no credibility. In fact, the only reason you decided to post this now is because you contacted the owner a few weeks ago to stay again and were turned down. Now, if the hotel were so terrible, why would you want to return? I’m assuming to get another free stay. The correct decision was made to not allow you to return regardless of this backlash. Resorting to this review is very sad indeed.

You have a nice day!

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Jacksonville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

To really appreciate this property you need to be a scuba diver that has traveled the Caribbean to dive. On first blush the property seems remote, but if you are a dedicated diver, that isn't a bad thing. The boat for Dive St. Kitts, and the dive shop is on property making short boat trips to various reefs extremely easy. We were a group of 17 divers who requested a later boat and the crew was happy to give us the extra time. They also did everything in their power to make our experience as exciting and pleasurable as they could. They made adjustments for several of our group that had physical limitations. The food was wholesome. I am not going to pretend that if you are addicted to McD's or only "american" food you will be happy. But if you are looking for a taste of the island and willing to take a chance, you won't be disappointed. Things that you expect to be the same as "home" (spaghetti, tacos, etc.) will not be ask you think they should, but they are good. My room had a very difficult door, both to open and close. The staff called in a carpenter to plane the door and we never had any problem with it afterward.
OH, and the pool bar that has been closed for 4 years? If there is a big enough group requesting it--the pool bar is "open". Great staff, pleasant and willing to please. But if you are an entitled ugly American. . .don't waste their or your time.

Room Tip: I can't tell you how it happened as everyone in our group paid the same price, but some had suit...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Bird Rock Beach Hotel is good for those who want to escape crowds and high-frills hotels.
It is only a short, 5 minute taxi ride from the airport. Taxi will vary between $12-$14 to get to the hotel.
I came during low season, and the hotel was practically deserted. I may have seen maybe 5 other guests during my 4-day stay. In a way it made it more relaxing, because there was no wait to check in or order food, and I also had the small beach to myself most days.

Room- The room is comfortable, large, and almost all rooms have an ocean-view. There were many stairs to go up and down to reach my room. Came with pretty bedding, desk, balcony with chairs, and TV. Note- if you want to actually use the tv remote, hairdryer, or iron, you must obtain these items from the front desk with a deposit; they are not readily available in the room. Also, if you need ice, you must walk to the beach bar to get it (again, lots of steps). Water was safe to drink so I did not bother buying water but filled it up from the tap instead. However, if you're one to get turned off by chipped paint or bugs, don't stay here. At my arrival, there was a line of ants on my sink. Didn't mind, they were sugar ants, not the biting ones, but I can see someone getting creeped out by this. Also, my bathroom had chipped paint everywhere- on knobs, hangers, the wall, the bathtub. Again, didn't mind, but they could totally update the rooms to make em look nicer...
One thing I loved- was how QUIET it was! Never have I slept so good on an island. There weren't any annoying crowds outside, or construction equipment going off. The mattress is a tad stiff, but after a full day of playing outside, you'll fall asleep easy anyways.

On-site Activities- There is not much to do at the actual hotel, you either need to go on the daily dive trips, book tours, or snorkel off the beach. Snorkeling was great here, there is a calm cove in which I saw an octopus, starfish, crabs, nudibranchs, eels, rockfish, and other fish. Outside the cove it can get a little choppy but still seemed safe to me. If you swim to where the bouys meet the rocks, there are turtles there and nicer coral. I was a bit disappointed at the visibility, seemed a little murkier than what I've seen elsewhere in the Caribbean. You can also take out kayaks or just relax on the beach and read a book. The beach is pretty tiny though, so don't expect to do much exploring around the beach or on the rocks.
I was really disappointed at the appearance of certain parts of the hotel. Even though there's an on-site dive shop, the area surrounding this shop and the beach itself seemed like a run-down, pot-hole filled parking lot. They could do some work to fix this appearance. There were some cats too (which I loved, cats are awesome) but if you get scared of cute cats following you, then that may be an issue...

Food- I opted to save money and not eat at the fancier restaurant, but instead frequent the beach bar/grill more. I found it affordable, food came out in about 15 minutes, and rum punch was great. However, one night, the regular bartender was not there and it was a bartender I didn't recognize; he was actually sleeping behind the bar, and I had to uncomfortably wake him up to get service. Was a little wierd. NOTE- pool bar is nonexistent, apparently has been closed for years, don't know why the hotel is still advertising that it's there. I did walk to the grocery stores (15 min. there) and got some cheap food too, Best Buy Supermarket is open late on Sundays, but Ram's Supermarket had a wider selection and delicious home-made desserts too. Also, the hotel advertised a manager's cocktail reception or something on Tuesday nights, but this too was non-existent. Could be because I came in low season though.

Surrounding activities- You can't do much without paying for a taxi, as this is in the middle of a residential area. If you really want, it's a 30 min walk to Basseterre where there's tons of shops and restaurants. However, I would NOT recommend this in the heat of the day. There is no shade on the walk, so if you do this, only attempt in early AM when it's cooler. Then get a taxi back, especially if you had some cocktails there...
I took a cab ($16) to South Friar's Beach, you can spend ALL day here. Wrote a separate review for this part. But, you can also do island tours, sail to Nevis, hike the dormant volcano, see ruins, etc. So much to do elsewhere on the island.

Pros- close to airport, quick check in, spacious room, snorkeling right on the beach with an affordable beach bar. Very relaxing and quiet, walking distance to supermarket. Beach-front or ocean-view rooms with no extra charge, cheap overall

Cons- dire need of updating in rooms and around hotel (just simple paint would do!), ants in the bathroom, really far from anything so you need a taxi to do fun things.

All in all, I'd stay here again, but am curious to see other hotels that are closer to some of the action and activities.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I spent the week April 06, till April 13, 2012 at Bird Rock.
It was very relaxing and enjoyable. People are very friendly and helpful.
Mr. Richards, the Owner of the hotel is always available and regularly enquires about the well being of his guests.
Food a la carte is very good and will prepared by the chef.
I did 6 dives with "Dive St-Kitts boutique". The whole team is very nice and professional.
The island is very safe, but very expensive.
If you are looking for a relax and quiet stay, this hotel is highly recommended.
However, if you want action and night life, you should go elsewhere.
Definitely, I will go back again.
Thank you all for making my holidays memorable.
A canadian (From Quebec) tourist.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Buffalo, Ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed at the Bird Rock 1/13/12-1/23/12 on our annual "small hotel/dive gettaway on an island in January" trip. The Bird Rock met all of our expectations.
We avoid the big hotels and busy night life whenever we can so finding the Bird Rock was a great pleasure. The hotel warned us that is was out of the way in case we were looking for something else. I thought that was a nice touch-trying in insure that we knew what we were getting.
In contrast to many St. Kitts hotels, the Bird Rock's rooms face the water. Most have a porch which is perfect for morning coffee and evening sunsets, which we used every day to enjoy both the sun and the free drink which came with our day of diving. This is a very nice setting.
The staff and management were the best we have experienced in our 20 year of this kind of island travel. Friendly. Helpful. No sign of distraction from their jobs ever. Management helped to arrange a scooter rental for a bit less than average priciing.
The hotel is not new, but it is servicable. There is pealing paint and broken fixtures in places, but everything works. Our room was quite large and the furniture was not new, but the bed was comfortable and that was about all we used the room for. We had a problem with our shower which was fixed within an hour.
We used the swimming pool every day. It was clean and inviting always.
We bought the breakfast package and found a full and diverse menu of well prepared food which was severed by staff who learned who you were and by the third day knwo what you wanted and prepared for our arrival. We had only one dinner at the hotel chosing rather to use our scooter to explore the island and its restaurants. Good burger from the beach bar. AND the beer is cold!!
If you are looking for lux and spiffy go elsewhere. if you want to be welcomed and served by folks who are glad you are there, give Greg and his staff a try.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel from February 29 to March 6 2012. We wanted a beach (and we got a small one), a diving shop, a kitchenette in our room and a clean place to stay: we got it all. The place was very quiet and exactly what we hoped for. The staff was courteous and friendly. If you need something, just ask, they'll do their best to help.
The pool, the rooms, lawns and beach are clean. Don't expect the beauty and luxury of a 5 star hotel, but a rustique style you will find across the island.
We rented a car for a few days and drove around the island - 3 days was more then enough to go ALL around the island and laze around other beaches.
I would NOT recommend the Golden Lemon - it is far from the airport and the surroundings look broken down.
Do stop for a coffee at the Rawlins Plantation Inn - it was a wonderful surprise to be served a spicy cake with our coffe in a podom. If you can afford it, it's a beautiful place to stay surrounded by luxious tropical vegetation. It's at least a 45 minute drive from the airport and a car is needed to go to the beach.
If you want a long chair and umbrella at the Carambola, you have to pay! Finally, it was a great deal! 10$ US for a long chair and 10$ US for an umbrella. You could get served on the beach and the staff was not bothersome. We'd go back there anytime, it was worth it. My only problem was the bathroom lady...did she want a tip? She seemed skepticle to let me use a bathroom one day? Hmm.
Finally, Bird Rock Beach Hotel was a great choice for our budget and we would go back with the kids next time too.

Room Tip: Take a room with a kitchenette and save on restaurants!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

My Brother and I spent a week at the Bird Rock Beach in March.
It's off the beaten track, but close enough to walk to the local super markets (15 mins) and Basseterre (30 mins). A taxi from the aiport cost $14USD and takes about 10 mins.
The room was large with a balcony overlooking the sea + the island of Nevis. This is a place to come to if you want to seriously chill out. Dive, snorkel and shoot the breeze. If you're after bustling night-life, well I guess Basseterre is only 10 mins ($10USD) by taxi.
The staff are really friendly. We we here for a diving break (Dive St.Kitts are awesome) and on a B&B basis. This was great.
For lunch, head down to Rockies for beers and food in the sun. All very chilled out.
The snorkelling off the beach here is not to be missed. Every time I was out I was bumping into Hawksbill turtles and just loads of marine life.
I would definitely come back.
If you want fast paced holidays and loads of things to do (post 9pm) then go some place else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bird Rock Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!