Bird Rock Beach Hotel is good for those who want to escape crowds and high-frills hotels.
It is only a short, 5 minute taxi ride from the airport. Taxi will vary between $12-$14 to get to the hotel.
I came during low season, and the hotel was practically deserted. I may have seen maybe 5 other guests during my 4-day stay. In a way it made it more relaxing, because there was no wait to check in or order food, and I also had the small beach to myself most days.
Room- The room is comfortable, large, and almost all rooms have an ocean-view. There were many stairs to go up and down to reach my room. Came with pretty bedding, desk, balcony with chairs, and TV. Note- if you want to actually use the tv remote, hairdryer, or iron, you must obtain these items from the front desk with a deposit; they are not readily available in the room. Also, if you need ice, you must walk to the beach bar to get it (again, lots of steps). Water was safe to drink so I did not bother buying water but filled it up from the tap instead. However, if you're one to get turned off by chipped paint or bugs, don't stay here. At my arrival, there was a line of ants on my sink. Didn't mind, they were sugar ants, not the biting ones, but I can see someone getting creeped out by this. Also, my bathroom had chipped paint everywhere- on knobs, hangers, the wall, the bathtub. Again, didn't mind, but they could totally update the rooms to make em look nicer...
One thing I loved- was how QUIET it was! Never have I slept so good on an island. There weren't any annoying crowds outside, or construction equipment going off. The mattress is a tad stiff, but after a full day of playing outside, you'll fall asleep easy anyways.
On-site Activities- There is not much to do at the actual hotel, you either need to go on the daily dive trips, book tours, or snorkel off the beach. Snorkeling was great here, there is a calm cove in which I saw an octopus, starfish, crabs, nudibranchs, eels, rockfish, and other fish. Outside the cove it can get a little choppy but still seemed safe to me. If you swim to where the bouys meet the rocks, there are turtles there and nicer coral. I was a bit disappointed at the visibility, seemed a little murkier than what I've seen elsewhere in the Caribbean. You can also take out kayaks or just relax on the beach and read a book. The beach is pretty tiny though, so don't expect to do much exploring around the beach or on the rocks.
I was really disappointed at the appearance of certain parts of the hotel. Even though there's an on-site dive shop, the area surrounding this shop and the beach itself seemed like a run-down, pot-hole filled parking lot. They could do some work to fix this appearance. There were some cats too (which I loved, cats are awesome) but if you get scared of cute cats following you, then that may be an issue...
Food- I opted to save money and not eat at the fancier restaurant, but instead frequent the beach bar/grill more. I found it affordable, food came out in about 15 minutes, and rum punch was great. However, one night, the regular bartender was not there and it was a bartender I didn't recognize; he was actually sleeping behind the bar, and I had to uncomfortably wake him up to get service. Was a little wierd. NOTE- pool bar is nonexistent, apparently has been closed for years, don't know why the hotel is still advertising that it's there. I did walk to the grocery stores (15 min. there) and got some cheap food too, Best Buy Supermarket is open late on Sundays, but Ram's Supermarket had a wider selection and delicious home-made desserts too. Also, the hotel advertised a manager's cocktail reception or something on Tuesday nights, but this too was non-existent. Could be because I came in low season though.
Surrounding activities- You can't do much without paying for a taxi, as this is in the middle of a residential area. If you really want, it's a 30 min walk to Basseterre where there's tons of shops and restaurants. However, I would NOT recommend this in the heat of the day. There is no shade on the walk, so if you do this, only attempt in early AM when it's cooler. Then get a taxi back, especially if you had some cocktails there...
I took a cab ($16) to South Friar's Beach, you can spend ALL day here. Wrote a separate review for this part. But, you can also do island tours, sail to Nevis, hike the dormant volcano, see ruins, etc. So much to do elsewhere on the island.
Pros- close to airport, quick check in, spacious room, snorkeling right on the beach with an affordable beach bar. Very relaxing and quiet, walking distance to supermarket. Beach-front or ocean-view rooms with no extra charge, cheap overall
Cons- dire need of updating in rooms and around hotel (just simple paint would do!), ants in the bathroom, really far from anything so you need a taxi to do fun things.
All in all, I'd stay here again, but am curious to see other hotels that are closer to some of the action and activities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a secluded cove overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Bird Rock Beach Hotel captivates you with its tranquil setting and its warm hospitality. Guests have access to a wide variety of water based activities including swimming, kayaking, snorkeling and scuba diving. There are three restaurants including Rocky’s Beach Bar & Grill. The hotel’s 46 air-conditioned rooms are tastefully furnished and include a king-size bed or two queen-size beds, full bathrooms, cable TV, and private balconies with spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea. Kids 11 and under say free when sharing with adults. Dive St Kitts, the island’s premier dive operation, is located at the base of the hotel. The private harbor shelters the 32' twin 200HP monohull and is perfectly located on one of the best, easy access, shore dives on the Caribbean side of St Kitts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity and Expedia so you can book your Bird Rock Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bird Rock Beach Resort
- Bird Rock Beach Basseterre
- Bird Rock Beach Hotel St. Kitts/Basseterre