“Disappointing On a Return Visit” 3 of 5 stars

Frigate Bay Resort
Frigate Bay P.O. Box 137, Basseterre, St. Kitts   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Basseterre
Memphis, Tennessee
“Disappointing On a Return Visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

We stayed at the Frigate Bay Resort during our first visit to St. Kitts 3 years ago but were disappointed this time around. To start, when I inquired about the excellent manager's welcome night that we had recalled, I was told at the front desk (when I paid for my first few days in advance) that it still existed on Mondays -- but in fact, it no longer is held (later, the manager admitted that it had "died a slow death", and it appeared to us that his hotel may be following suit). The rooms were in need of a makeover: The small slat windows in our studio would not completely shut, so mosquitos were free to make their way in and out -- mostly in, biting on any exposed skin while we slept. The mattress was hard and creaky. The patio had paint chips all over it for enire 10-day stay, never cleaned by the maids. Both the dining room and pool bar were closed (with overnight notice) on a Tuesday for "essential work which needs to be done in the kitchen" -- so why close the pool bar? Plus, no effort to compensate the guests was made for this inconvenience (even a comped rum punch would have been a nice gesture). The bartenders Ronnie and Albertina were outstanding, but generally the staff acted indifferent. The dining room attendant had promised to contact us when any lobster arrived (we're still waiting...). Our door latch malfuntioned during the early part of our stay, and their solution was to tape the metal bar to the wall (good thing there's no crime at this end of the island). Several times the maids called -- waking my wife -- to check on room service despite a "do not disturb" sign posted on the door. Although being very careful (and sober), my wife slipped and fell in the tub shower (fortunately wasn't hurt)...no safety strips on the slick tub floor. Our visit was not entirely negative, of course (still an excellent location...a short walk to some great beachside eateries such as Cathy's and Shiggedy Shack) but we do recall better times at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

I had a wonderful 3-day stay at the Frigate Bay Resort during a quick business/personal trip to St. Kitts. The resort is located in a quiet, picturesque area and boasts a completely relaxed atmosphere. My room was clean, bright, roomy and airy. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Free wif-fi is also available at several locations on the property.

My only complaint involved the attached restaurant. I thought it was perfectly ridiculous to have to pay US$15 for a basic breakfast consisting of nothing more than pancakes and scrambled eggs. That was the only sour note, though, and I would heartily recommend this hotel. I want to go back right now.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

Just returned from a glorious week in St. Kitts staying at the Frigate Bay Resort Hotel. Had read all the reviews before we went so was fairly well prepared - the hotel didn't disappoint - clean, comfortable, full of character and charm. Very few guests so it felt like a private villa! Staff friendly and helpful - but of course running on Carribean time - no hurry!!! The location right next to the beach and famous"Strip" was fabulous in some respects, however, be aware that there are no shops and returning to the hotel after dark can be a problem due to the unlit path which runs from the Strip to the hotel.
Hiring a car is definately a good idea as we spent a fair bit on taxis.

My friend and I were part of a wedding party and most of the other guests had booked into the 5 star Marriott - very nice but did not have the character of Frigate Bay.

Wherever you stay, you are guaranteed to fall in love with the island - can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I am attending Ross University on St. Kitts in January and decided to visit the island and school a little earlier with my parents. We stayed at the FBR and had a very pleasant experience.

The staff was all very friendly and accommodating throughout our entire stay. The pool was in excellent condition and very clean! It was sooo relaxing to just layout! Jasmine's is a little bit pricey but they make excellent ribs. FBR is in a nice location and is within walking distance of the beach and the strip ( a group of bars on the beach). The room we stayed in was very spacious. The bathroom could definitely use a face lift and a new paint job. I usually travel with Lysol wipes and used them to tidy up the bathroom a little more to my taste! We had a huge problems with mosquitoes at night. We had to purchase bug spray which was pretty expensive. I recommend packing it along with sunscreen! Our balcony door lock was a bit unsecure but luckily we were on a higher floor and weren't concerned about it. Other than an ugly bathroom and mosquitoes, we thoroughly enjoyed FBR. If you are the type of person that needs a PERFECT room then I do not recommend FBR for you. If you are laid back and make the best of what you are given, then you'll have no problems and FBR.

Also on Saturday and Sunday the hotel offered swimming lessons to local children. I love the fact that the hotel does this and enjoyed watching the kids have a good time.
I would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed November 2009
Midwest, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

So, normally I don't write reviews or comment on service....This I felt was a must. I just returned from St. Kitts which is a beautiful island. I wish I could say the same about this hotel.

Let me also preface this by saying that I have stayed in hotels around the world and in third world countries where the bathroom was a hole in the ground....litterally. I am not a spoiled American by any means. For the price....this hotel was BAD!

I guess I'll start with the good. The A/C works very well and there was a fridge in the room to keep water and anything else cold. Decent size as well. Some of the staff is friendly but they are ALL on island time. Nothing, and I mean nothing moves quickly at this hotel. That concludes the "Good" of the review and takes me right into the bad. We actually traveled in a group so I know that some things I will mention are not just because we got a bad room. There was one couple that got to the hotel and never checked in - smart people. After 1 night 2 more couples checked out and went elsewhere.

The room was a decent size but in need of repairs and updating. The bathrooms are FILTHY and most of them have some sort of plumbing issue. Ours was that the water in the tub would not shut off. Kind of irritating. Another colleague had a room with a broken toilet that fixed himself. If it was that easy to fix that tells me they just don't care.

In their defense, they did build a couple small wheel chair ramps for one of our members to get into his room.

The sheets were dirty and we ended up with bug bites all over our legs - we are 99% sure they came from something in the bed. The towels are not changed everyday just refolded which I found very gross because we were there for 6 days. That also applies to the sheets which is probably why they have bed bugs. Oh, and as I write this review I just found ringworm on my thigh.....nice.

The food at the restaurant is decent but VERY over priced and there is no place to dine in A/C - not that big of a deal but it is very humid and would have been nice.

The pool water is not salt water but is very milky. Only one person from our group swam in it and his comment was "it's a little slimy". I would not swim in there for anything....very gross.

There are also Ants everywhere - including in the rooms. The first night we sat out on the patio before dinner just to socialize. Within 3 minutes I had ants all over me.

The management of this facility is very poor. I'm not sure how they stay in business.
I don't know if I can do this but here it goes. The other guests that checked out went to the Marriott. For a small increase in price you can have a 5 star hotel where the staff is wonderful and there is more to do and see in the hotel than anywhere else.

My recommendation - Stay at the Marriott. It is SOOOO beautiful and right on the ocean. several restaurants with excellent food and service. There is no doubt in my mind that if I ever go back or ever speak to anyone that wants to visit this island I will recommend/stay the Marriott. Nothing compares. If you can't stay in the Marriott at least stay away from Frigate Bay Resort.....you will be sorry if you stay there!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Visited St kitts for the first time in May 2009. Didn't know what to expect from the island or the staff at the Frigate Bay Resort. The staff were in fact very polite, a few rooms looked like they needed a lick of paint and the hotel could honestly do with a menu with more imagination. However, for the price it was just what the doctor order. I felt safe, the beds and room were clean and the pool was also well maintained. Oh and if you like an Olympic size pool... your in the right place.

In May there were very few guest, but had there been more people the hotel has the makings of very cosy affair. The grounds are well maintained, but I just wished they lit the path leading down to the beach. The internet is $0.25 per minute, yes I did say per minute. You do the maths.

All in all, what this hotel has going for it, is that its just around the corner from all the beach bars and restaurants. It set in a lovely area with nice developments. Its an ideal location if you don't want to stay in your hotel room every evening theres always something to do . Theres absolutely no trouble whatsoever, and the Kittian charm and character is something that you miss the day you leave the island. 8/10 for me and I now know why people go back every year.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Innisfil, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

The location was great - close to the beach and varily quiet. The hotel needs major updates though or just better housekeeping...curtain only half hung in places, dirty dishes left by the pool area for hours etc.
Front desk staff was dismssive at best and when I had to call for a medical issue, I had to re-call down to reming her that she was getting me a phone number. Desk also messed up time for an excurion booking.
Jasmine's restaurant is not worth the money.
Just stay there but eat elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Been to Frigate Bay Resort? Share your experiences!