“We would stay at this hotel again!” 3 of 5 stars

Frigate Bay Resort
Frigate Bay P.O. Box 137, Basseterre, St. Kitts   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Basseterre
Rhode Island
“We would stay at this hotel again!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I am attending Ross University on St. Kitts in January and decided to visit the island and school a little earlier with my parents. We stayed at the FBR and had a very pleasant experience.

The staff was all very friendly and accommodating throughout our entire stay. The pool was in excellent condition and very clean! It was sooo relaxing to just layout! Jasmine's is a little bit pricey but they make excellent ribs. FBR is in a nice location and is within walking distance of the beach and the strip ( a group of bars on the beach). The room we stayed in was very spacious. The bathroom could definitely use a face lift and a new paint job. I usually travel with Lysol wipes and used them to tidy up the bathroom a little more to my taste! We had a huge problems with mosquitoes at night. We had to purchase bug spray which was pretty expensive. I recommend packing it along with sunscreen! Our balcony door lock was a bit unsecure but luckily we were on a higher floor and weren't concerned about it. Other than an ugly bathroom and mosquitoes, we thoroughly enjoyed FBR. If you are the type of person that needs a PERFECT room then I do not recommend FBR for you. If you are laid back and make the best of what you are given, then you'll have no problems and FBR.

Also on Saturday and Sunday the hotel offered swimming lessons to local children. I love the fact that the hotel does this and enjoyed watching the kids have a good time.
I would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed November 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Midwest, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

So, normally I don't write reviews or comment on service....This I felt was a must. I just returned from St. Kitts which is a beautiful island. I wish I could say the same about this hotel.

Let me also preface this by saying that I have stayed in hotels around the world and in third world countries where the bathroom was a hole in the ground....litterally. I am not a spoiled American by any means. For the price....this hotel was BAD!

I guess I'll start with the good. The A/C works very well and there was a fridge in the room to keep water and anything else cold. Decent size as well. Some of the staff is friendly but they are ALL on island time. Nothing, and I mean nothing moves quickly at this hotel. That concludes the "Good" of the review and takes me right into the bad. We actually traveled in a group so I know that some things I will mention are not just because we got a bad room. There was one couple that got to the hotel and never checked in - smart people. After 1 night 2 more couples checked out and went elsewhere.

The room was a decent size but in need of repairs and updating. The bathrooms are FILTHY and most of them have some sort of plumbing issue. Ours was that the water in the tub would not shut off. Kind of irritating. Another colleague had a room with a broken toilet that fixed himself. If it was that easy to fix that tells me they just don't care.

In their defense, they did build a couple small wheel chair ramps for one of our members to get into his room.

The sheets were dirty and we ended up with bug bites all over our legs - we are 99% sure they came from something in the bed. The towels are not changed everyday just refolded which I found very gross because we were there for 6 days. That also applies to the sheets which is probably why they have bed bugs. Oh, and as I write this review I just found ringworm on my thigh.....nice.

The food at the restaurant is decent but VERY over priced and there is no place to dine in A/C - not that big of a deal but it is very humid and would have been nice.

The pool water is not salt water but is very milky. Only one person from our group swam in it and his comment was "it's a little slimy". I would not swim in there for anything....very gross.

There are also Ants everywhere - including in the rooms. The first night we sat out on the patio before dinner just to socialize. Within 3 minutes I had ants all over me.

The management of this facility is very poor. I'm not sure how they stay in business.
I don't know if I can do this but here it goes. The other guests that checked out went to the Marriott. For a small increase in price you can have a 5 star hotel where the staff is wonderful and there is more to do and see in the hotel than anywhere else.

My recommendation - Stay at the Marriott. It is SOOOO beautiful and right on the ocean. several restaurants with excellent food and service. There is no doubt in my mind that if I ever go back or ever speak to anyone that wants to visit this island I will recommend/stay the Marriott. Nothing compares. If you can't stay in the Marriott at least stay away from Frigate Bay Resort.....you will be sorry if you stay there!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Visited St kitts for the first time in May 2009. Didn't know what to expect from the island or the staff at the Frigate Bay Resort. The staff were in fact very polite, a few rooms looked like they needed a lick of paint and the hotel could honestly do with a menu with more imagination. However, for the price it was just what the doctor order. I felt safe, the beds and room were clean and the pool was also well maintained. Oh and if you like an Olympic size pool... your in the right place.

In May there were very few guest, but had there been more people the hotel has the makings of very cosy affair. The grounds are well maintained, but I just wished they lit the path leading down to the beach. The internet is $0.25 per minute, yes I did say per minute. You do the maths.

All in all, what this hotel has going for it, is that its just around the corner from all the beach bars and restaurants. It set in a lovely area with nice developments. Its an ideal location if you don't want to stay in your hotel room every evening theres always something to do . Theres absolutely no trouble whatsoever, and the Kittian charm and character is something that you miss the day you leave the island. 8/10 for me and I now know why people go back every year.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Innisfil, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

The location was great - close to the beach and varily quiet. The hotel needs major updates though or just better housekeeping...curtain only half hung in places, dirty dishes left by the pool area for hours etc.
Front desk staff was dismssive at best and when I had to call for a medical issue, I had to re-call down to reming her that she was getting me a phone number. Desk also messed up time for an excurion booking.
Jasmine's restaurant is not worth the money.
Just stay there but eat elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

My wife and I recently finished our 6th annual January trip to St. Kitts, and we have stayed in the Frigate Bay Resort every time. It is a great location, close to the Caribbean and the Atlantic, and has the best pool on the island.

Perhaps what we like best however is the staff. From reception to housekeeping to the restaurant to management, you will find courteous, friendly and helpful who make you feel welcome. They are proud of their island and their resort.

I highly recommend this resort, and the room set up makes it ideal for families. In fact, we are in the process of planning our 2010 visit, and hope that our children and grandchildren can join us!

• Liked — location/staff
  • Disliked — some rooms needed furniture upgrade
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

Recently, we had the pleasure of calling Frigate Bay Resort our "home away from home" for the second time this year. Our first stay was in May, 2008 (3 days) and second stay in October, 2008 (3 days).

Upon entering Reception for our first stay, we were warmly greeted by "Islar." The second stay, we were greeted just as warmly by another Receptionist (who's name I don't recall at the moment). Both times, we felt the staff at Reception did an excellent job.

May 2008
We were given our key and two drink tickets for complimentary Rum Punch at the Pool Bar - "Sip n Dip." A maintenance staff person showed us to our room and went over instructions for the TV and a/c. A "mountainview room," it was very spacious and clean, the a/c worked perfectly, the mini-fridge worked very well and the T.V. reception was very good.

Once we settled in, we headed to "Sip n Dip" for Rum Punch. Very nice setting and the Rum Punch very good. As pictured on the website, the pool is pretty big and has sun loungers, available on a first-come, first-served basis. All were in very good condition.

We enjoyed breakfast at Jasmine's every day. The food was good, the service prompt and attentive.

We did not have any problems with our room, it was cleaned by the time we returned each day and there was no problem with noise or disturbances from other guests.

The second stay, we were greeted in the same manner and given our key and two drink tickets for complimentary Rum Punch at "Sip n Dip." This time, we knew where we were going, so there was no need for an escort to the room. We were in the same building, opposite corner from where we were in May, 2008.

Upon entering, the room had a very strong odor of cigarette smoke, but that was quickly remedied by opening the huge patio door and spraying a bit of air freshener (which I always pack). The mini-fridge, TV reception and a/c worked perfectly. I did call maintenance one afternoon as the air was blowing warm, only to find out that somehow the setting had been placed on "heat" instead of "cool." I take no responsibility for this! :)

We visited "Sip n Dip" several times, and dined there for lunch once. Again, the food was served within a reasonable time, and very good.

On this occasion, I needed to use their computer to access the internet. Located directly from the Reception area, the connection was super fast. The cost is .25 per minute.

The grounds at FBR are very well kept, there is plenty of parking and peaceful day and night, however I do have a few criticisms. FBR is starting to show it's age. The buildings and rooms (particularly the bathrooms) could use a bit of a "sprucing up" - new bathtubs, showerheads, fixtures and tiles (both in the showers and the bathroom/vanity areas). Despite that, the water pressure was strong & we never ran out of hot water throughout both stays. Although they were in good condition, I did find the towels to be a bit "rough," and in need of a little fabric softener.

Lastly, if you have mobility problems, be aware there are lots of stairs at this resort.

Despite my criticisms, I would not hesitate to return to FBR. I plan to on my next trip in 2009. I would recommend it to friends and family as a clean, "no frills," reasonably priced accommodation.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

We have just returned from FBR during which XL.com collasped at left us stranded. A big thank you all at FBR, CAA and BA who sorted the issue out.

The staff at FBR are were great and the manager called us in on the day the news broke and said all would be taken care of. Our rep kept us updated with copies of emails and faxes and BA flew us home in more style can comfort than XL.com did on the way out.

The rooms at FBR are big, go for the top floor and get the celing height to go with the AC and the room cools down reallt well and you will need that. The hillside rooms are the other side to the pool side rooms and face a road shared with the FBR and the local neighbours. All pretty quiet and there is a slight boom boom from the beach shacks at night if the wind is in the right direction but that goes away as the night goes on.

In the room is two double beds, built in cupboards, a telly with 60 channels, mainly USA but with BBC world service, a small fridge, separate bather showe and wc and aceiling fan. You also get a balcony and a couple of chairs and a table.

The pool is heated by the sun and like a warm bath. There is a swim up bar and ice cold water avaialble free along with all the rum and beer you can pay for, Locals and non residents will use the pool, some ladies did thier keep fit thier in the mornings but only 6 of the 68 rooms were in use while we were there so it did not matter. The are sunbeds and umbrellas but in high season I doubt enough for all. Jasmines restaurant at FBR is good enough and you can get anything from burgers to lobster there. Eat there but it does work out slight more than if you went to the beach shacks which are the best value. There are night securit guards and a reception to keep an eye on things but we never met anyone who was ont polite and courteous during our whole trip. The laid back theme and slow pace can sometimes be taken as indifference but I do not think it is done with any malice, just a different way. Most people said hello and were happy enough. The staff at FBR were always polite and the maid cleaned the room every day and did it well. Fresh coffee, powder milk and sugar was supplied everyday free of charge along with a perculator.

Our toilet leaked one day but was fised within 15 mins. The shower was hot enough and little children should take care as the taps can run really hot. No regulator here in use.

The beach is about 5 mins walk away if you take the back route by the pool, take a torch. The shacks on Frigate Beach are great. Cathy's Shack is by far the best value and possible the smallest run by Cathy and her daughter. $20 US per person will get you anything there and a beer or two and some change, but leave a tip instead. The shrimp , snapper, mahi mahi and jerk pork and chicken and ribs are all excellent. No tax or service charge here so cheaper than most. A bottle of beer is $2 US. Take US dollars on your trip, do not bother with ECD as you will get some in the change yo get back. Everything is priced in USD.

The locals take to the beach Thurs to Sun and the place really livens up. Great stuuf. Lots of dancing and music and general beach parties. Bobbies, Dr X's are both good shacks to visit and eat at.

It is worth hiring a car as a taxi is $10 US into town, Regge Beach is $20 USD and an island tour about $75USD. The Avis car worked out at $43USD a day with all the insurance we could find, well worth it. You need another $20 USD ofr a St Kitts and Neevis driving license and to top the petrol up when you return the car but you will save loads and have freedom. Avis arranged a courtesy car in Neevis so we spent a day driving round the island. Again a good day out and plenty to keep ypu busy for a day. The Four Seasons is worth checking out for lunch if only for the views but take come serious cash.

I also did the Volcano trek with Roger which is about 2.5 hrs up and 2 hrs down. A bit of climbing towards the end but nothing to scary. Decent shoes, plenty of water and a good level of fitness is needed. The views are spectacular at 3750 feet and worth the effort.

There is a tiny RAMS supermarket near the Marriort which is a 15 mn walk through the golf course and PJ's pizza place is worth a visit if you want some AC dining. The Marriot was deserted but had shops if you had forgot anything. There is a larger RAMS on the way to town, better which sells everyhing and another supermatker IMG which costs slightly more on average.

In town Stonewalls is worth a visit to eat out and everytime we dined out it was about $90 USD for two all in so the shacks arer well worth a visit as you get the same fair.

A day with a car and you would have seen everything on the island. The Fort and Romney Manor was well worth a visit as is Rawllings Plantation where we also stayed for one night as a birthday treat. See other review. You can also stock up at the larger supermarkets and keep stuff in your fridge, beers, cold meats, rotis, cakes and biscuits are all good.

Port Zante is the duty free shopping and 200 fags are $15USD so worth the visit. Rum is cheap as well, Smokes and Booze ut the Tour Store is the cheapest. The rest is average prices but nothing special, they have more choice here then elsewhere.

Regge Beach is worth the drive and the south penisular has fantastic views. There is a resident pig and monkey at the beach and great snorkling and swimming to be had. Two or three shacks here with toilets and facilities so spend the day, a sunbed is $5 USD a snorkle, mask and fliipers another $5 USD each. Fantastic views of Neevis from here which is only 2 miles away. There are plans to develop this part of the island which is pretty empty.

The rainforrest walk is well worth doing,cheaper if you book direct with the guide and you het some cakes at the end. An easy treck through the rain forrest with a little water fall at the end with frsh water crayfish to spot. Also monkeys in nthe trees to watch watching you. Our rep arranged ours and the differenct was about $7 USD about 10%. We went with Rogers Tours and the gentleman was excellent. Over 20 yrs experience and lisited on tripadvisor. See other review. It took a morning to driv out and trek and drive back and well worth every moment. The trek goes around the back of Caribelle Batik at Romney Manor so well worth a visit.

The shops in town are lmited but worthchecking out. The bakery selling frsh cakes and bread arre worth stopping off at and loading up.

At Port Zante seek out The Tour Store and hire the audio tour guide which walks you round the capital and tells you all about the buildings, hisitory and times. Well worth. One between two is enough as you can pause them and have them the whole day.

All in all well worth a visit if you are looking to lay back and do nothing for a while. There are two massive hills , both 1700 ft, each end of Frigate Bay so you will need to be fit to walk out of the area. A great place to visit off season, as we did, but it might get a bit busy in high season for us,

All in all a great little holiday which felt longer than the two weeks due to the slow pace of life. Not too much to shout about but stunning views, a good book, an ipod and pkenty of sun creme and you will end up a stone heavier. Even with the XL fiasco we arrived back refreshed and satisfied.

Thanks once again to all the staff at FBR for a lovely break.

• Liked — Room size , fridge , telly , air con , maid service , direct dial , coffee facilities , fan , balcony
  • Disliked — some mossies
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Frigate Bay Resort? Share your experiences!