“Ehh... okay, except for the theiving.” 2 of 5 stars

Frigate Bay Resort
Frigate Bay P.O. Box 137, Basseterre, St. Kitts   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Basseterre
Marathon, Florida
“Ehh... okay, except for the theiving.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Was an okay joint; relatively clean, but a bit worn down. Had $120 stolen out of my room- yes, my room mate didn't lock the door- by a staff member, whom I woke up to find hurtling himself over the balcony and disappearing around the corner before I could get a look at him. The office lady shrugged at me and offered to call the police; they seemed patently uninterested to intervene. It's St. Kitts... what're you gonna do? The waitstaff at the restaurant was always friendly, however, and the manager's receptions and rum punch were good. Intermittent contact with the free WiFi unless you were on the pool.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stayed at this hotel approximately 13 years ago and was very pleased with my stay there at that time, so I decided to book a stay with this hotel again. When I arrived at the hotel the first room that I was given was quite horrible (3rd floor hillside facing room). The wooden steps leading to the room were neglected, and falling apart. The actually door to the room was ajar and it looked as if housekeeping was in the middle of sweeping the floor, but just stopped and never picked up the dirt. The air conditioner barely worked, there was no toilet tissue in the room, and the bed linen had multiple stains them. I complained to the manager. He was very accommodating and apologetic. The manager moved me to another room about 30 minutes later that was 100% better (2nd floor poolside facing room). The only issue in that room was the fact that the sink would link every now and then. But I did not complain about this issue because other than that, I liked the room. There was a better air conditioner and refrigerator located in this room.

Housekeeping for the hotel only works until 3pm, so it is difficult to get housekeeping needs met after that time. Housekeeping is just mediocre. There was a piece of paper in the corner of the room for days at a time, there was dust on the lamps in the room, there were visible smudges and prints on the glass doors of the terrace for days at a time, and there were times that we did not get the correct number of towels and wash clothes in the room.

There is a nice size pool located on the property, but I preferred to go to the beach which is located close by.

The front desk was very helpful in terms of calling taxis and providing info about prices of the taxis.

Jasmine's Restaurant which is located on the property is very over priced, the food that I had was not that great, and the wait time to get the food is quite long. There are cats that will come around while you are dining that wait for you to give them food- if you like cats, it's great, if you don't, it's quite annoying.

On a positive note, the hotel is very conveniently located, steps away from the beach, steps away from "the strip," steps away from great restaurants and places to eat, 10-15 minutes from the airport and 10-15 minutes from town.

There is complimentary internet service as long as you have a laptop, but the service disconnects frequently while you are online.

In closing, this property has such great potential, but it is in need of some major renovations. I would think twice about booking at this hotel until the renovations are completed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I am here for a week of business meetings and my team and I were disappointed to find out that there are no desks in the rooms. It's definitely not set up for business travelers. As others have mentioned, this hotel has seen better days and seems to have bit hit pretty hard by the current economic situation worldwide. We have seen very few other guests. The rooms are very mediocre and most of the hotel needs to be updated. Slat/louvered windows don't shut so mosquitoes come in. The bed in my room is actually a pull-out couch rather than a proper bed. The walk to the beach is closer to 10 minutes, not 3 as advertised, and there are some good dining spots down there. The manager seems very nice and aims to please, but it's clear there aren't sufficient funds to do much updating of the rooms and grounds, so the overall feeling is one of slight neglect. The food as Jasmine restaurant has been very disappointing. Breakfasts are only offered in set menus (all very overpriced), lunches (primarily sandwiches) are not very tasty, and meal service is extremely slow. On the plus side, it is a fairly affordable location, reasonable distance to Frigate Bay beach, and while the kitchens in some rooms are spartan, they would at least be functional and good to have for a longer stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
rhode island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

This place needs to be closed. Upon arrival with a pre paid week through Skyauction, the front desk person was surprised that we had a kitchen room. She called an elderly gentleman(manager?) and when he was told that we had a pre paid kitchen room he looked like a deer caught in headlights. He brought us to a room where the window would not close and the handles fell on the floor with holes in the cement where it they should be, no water in the toilet, the dirt was "crusted" on the counter, the windows filthy, the pots and pans were rusted or black or dented, and HE just said there must be something better. Getting to this room was an adventure. The door 's bottom was rotten so bad that there was at least a two inch space !!!!The wooden hand railings were rotted out in places, the cement/stone stairs were missing chunks, the "sidewalks" were broken pieces of cement..the pool was being filled using a 1/2 hose since the week before, due to heavy rains, the pool was filled with mud from a mud slde!. The pool furniutre was a pile of broken items. The pool liner had a black to grey ring around the edge. We excused ourselves to go to the nearby supermarket to buy some food, but in reality went to the nearby beautiful Marriot and paid dearly for an excellent room. Frigate Bay Resort according to their add is a short three mnute walk to the beach.. THE BEACH IS OVER A MILE AWAY!!!!!!!! I cannot and do not believe what other people could written anything good about this hell hole! STAY AWAY!!!! The place was quiet since while looking aroun we saw ONE car andonly ONE person!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
st.kitts & nevis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I stayed in room 303b on April 26 with my partner to celebrate his birthday. The waitress, bartender and chef were exceptional. They were always smiling and so pleasant and helpful. I would reccommend this hotel anytime. A big thank you to Dorette for a lovely room :)

Email: lenicepren@hotmail.com

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

We stayed at the Frigate Bay Resort during our first visit to St. Kitts 3 years ago but were disappointed this time around. To start, when I inquired about the excellent manager's welcome night that we had recalled, I was told at the front desk (when I paid for my first few days in advance) that it still existed on Mondays -- but in fact, it no longer is held (later, the manager admitted that it had "died a slow death", and it appeared to us that his hotel may be following suit). The rooms were in need of a makeover: The small slat windows in our studio would not completely shut, so mosquitos were free to make their way in and out -- mostly in, biting on any exposed skin while we slept. The mattress was hard and creaky. The patio had paint chips all over it for enire 10-day stay, never cleaned by the maids. Both the dining room and pool bar were closed (with overnight notice) on a Tuesday for "essential work which needs to be done in the kitchen" -- so why close the pool bar? Plus, no effort to compensate the guests was made for this inconvenience (even a comped rum punch would have been a nice gesture). The bartenders Ronnie and Albertina were outstanding, but generally the staff acted indifferent. The dining room attendant had promised to contact us when any lobster arrived (we're still waiting...). Our door latch malfuntioned during the early part of our stay, and their solution was to tape the metal bar to the wall (good thing there's no crime at this end of the island). Several times the maids called -- waking my wife -- to check on room service despite a "do not disturb" sign posted on the door. Although being very careful (and sober), my wife slipped and fell in the tub shower (fortunately wasn't hurt)...no safety strips on the slick tub floor. Our visit was not entirely negative, of course (still an excellent location...a short walk to some great beachside eateries such as Cathy's and Shiggedy Shack) but we do recall better times at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

I had a wonderful 3-day stay at the Frigate Bay Resort during a quick business/personal trip to St. Kitts. The resort is located in a quiet, picturesque area and boasts a completely relaxed atmosphere. My room was clean, bright, roomy and airy. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Free wif-fi is also available at several locations on the property.

My only complaint involved the attached restaurant. I thought it was perfectly ridiculous to have to pay US$15 for a basic breakfast consisting of nothing more than pancakes and scrambled eggs. That was the only sour note, though, and I would heartily recommend this hotel. I want to go back right now.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Been to Frigate Bay Resort? Share your experiences!