“The name "Resort" may be a bit misleading...” 3 of 5 stars

Frigate Bay Resort
Frigate Bay P.O. Box 137, Basseterre, St. Kitts   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Basseterre
San Diego, California
“The name "Resort" may be a bit misleading...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I am here for a week of business meetings and my team and I were disappointed to find out that there are no desks in the rooms. It's definitely not set up for business travelers. As others have mentioned, this hotel has seen better days and seems to have bit hit pretty hard by the current economic situation worldwide. We have seen very few other guests. The rooms are very mediocre and most of the hotel needs to be updated. Slat/louvered windows don't shut so mosquitoes come in. The bed in my room is actually a pull-out couch rather than a proper bed. The walk to the beach is closer to 10 minutes, not 3 as advertised, and there are some good dining spots down there. The manager seems very nice and aims to please, but it's clear there aren't sufficient funds to do much updating of the rooms and grounds, so the overall feeling is one of slight neglect. The food as Jasmine restaurant has been very disappointing. Breakfasts are only offered in set menus (all very overpriced), lunches (primarily sandwiches) are not very tasty, and meal service is extremely slow. On the plus side, it is a fairly affordable location, reasonable distance to Frigate Bay beach, and while the kitchens in some rooms are spartan, they would at least be functional and good to have for a longer stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
rhode island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

This place needs to be closed. Upon arrival with a pre paid week through Skyauction, the front desk person was surprised that we had a kitchen room. She called an elderly gentleman(manager?) and when he was told that we had a pre paid kitchen room he looked like a deer caught in headlights. He brought us to a room where the window would not close and the handles fell on the floor with holes in the cement where it they should be, no water in the toilet, the dirt was "crusted" on the counter, the windows filthy, the pots and pans were rusted or black or dented, and HE just said there must be something better. Getting to this room was an adventure. The door 's bottom was rotten so bad that there was at least a two inch space !!!!The wooden hand railings were rotted out in places, the cement/stone stairs were missing chunks, the "sidewalks" were broken pieces of cement..the pool was being filled using a 1/2 hose since the week before, due to heavy rains, the pool was filled with mud from a mud slde!. The pool furniutre was a pile of broken items. The pool liner had a black to grey ring around the edge. We excused ourselves to go to the nearby supermarket to buy some food, but in reality went to the nearby beautiful Marriot and paid dearly for an excellent room. Frigate Bay Resort according to their add is a short three mnute walk to the beach.. THE BEACH IS OVER A MILE AWAY!!!!!!!! I cannot and do not believe what other people could written anything good about this hell hole! STAY AWAY!!!! The place was quiet since while looking aroun we saw ONE car andonly ONE person!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
st.kitts & nevis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I stayed in room 303b on April 26 with my partner to celebrate his birthday. The waitress, bartender and chef were exceptional. They were always smiling and so pleasant and helpful. I would reccommend this hotel anytime. A big thank you to Dorette for a lovely room :)

Email: lenicepren@hotmail.com

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

We stayed at the Frigate Bay Resort during our first visit to St. Kitts 3 years ago but were disappointed this time around. To start, when I inquired about the excellent manager's welcome night that we had recalled, I was told at the front desk (when I paid for my first few days in advance) that it still existed on Mondays -- but in fact, it no longer is held (later, the manager admitted that it had "died a slow death", and it appeared to us that his hotel may be following suit). The rooms were in need of a makeover: The small slat windows in our studio would not completely shut, so mosquitos were free to make their way in and out -- mostly in, biting on any exposed skin while we slept. The mattress was hard and creaky. The patio had paint chips all over it for enire 10-day stay, never cleaned by the maids. Both the dining room and pool bar were closed (with overnight notice) on a Tuesday for "essential work which needs to be done in the kitchen" -- so why close the pool bar? Plus, no effort to compensate the guests was made for this inconvenience (even a comped rum punch would have been a nice gesture). The bartenders Ronnie and Albertina were outstanding, but generally the staff acted indifferent. The dining room attendant had promised to contact us when any lobster arrived (we're still waiting...). Our door latch malfuntioned during the early part of our stay, and their solution was to tape the metal bar to the wall (good thing there's no crime at this end of the island). Several times the maids called -- waking my wife -- to check on room service despite a "do not disturb" sign posted on the door. Although being very careful (and sober), my wife slipped and fell in the tub shower (fortunately wasn't hurt)...no safety strips on the slick tub floor. Our visit was not entirely negative, of course (still an excellent location...a short walk to some great beachside eateries such as Cathy's and Shiggedy Shack) but we do recall better times at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

I had a wonderful 3-day stay at the Frigate Bay Resort during a quick business/personal trip to St. Kitts. The resort is located in a quiet, picturesque area and boasts a completely relaxed atmosphere. My room was clean, bright, roomy and airy. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Free wif-fi is also available at several locations on the property.

My only complaint involved the attached restaurant. I thought it was perfectly ridiculous to have to pay US$15 for a basic breakfast consisting of nothing more than pancakes and scrambled eggs. That was the only sour note, though, and I would heartily recommend this hotel. I want to go back right now.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

Just returned from a glorious week in St. Kitts staying at the Frigate Bay Resort Hotel. Had read all the reviews before we went so was fairly well prepared - the hotel didn't disappoint - clean, comfortable, full of character and charm. Very few guests so it felt like a private villa! Staff friendly and helpful - but of course running on Carribean time - no hurry!!! The location right next to the beach and famous"Strip" was fabulous in some respects, however, be aware that there are no shops and returning to the hotel after dark can be a problem due to the unlit path which runs from the Strip to the hotel.
Hiring a car is definately a good idea as we spent a fair bit on taxis.

My friend and I were part of a wedding party and most of the other guests had booked into the 5 star Marriott - very nice but did not have the character of Frigate Bay.

Wherever you stay, you are guaranteed to fall in love with the island - can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I am attending Ross University on St. Kitts in January and decided to visit the island and school a little earlier with my parents. We stayed at the FBR and had a very pleasant experience.

The staff was all very friendly and accommodating throughout our entire stay. The pool was in excellent condition and very clean! It was sooo relaxing to just layout! Jasmine's is a little bit pricey but they make excellent ribs. FBR is in a nice location and is within walking distance of the beach and the strip ( a group of bars on the beach). The room we stayed in was very spacious. The bathroom could definitely use a face lift and a new paint job. I usually travel with Lysol wipes and used them to tidy up the bathroom a little more to my taste! We had a huge problems with mosquitoes at night. We had to purchase bug spray which was pretty expensive. I recommend packing it along with sunscreen! Our balcony door lock was a bit unsecure but luckily we were on a higher floor and weren't concerned about it. Other than an ugly bathroom and mosquitoes, we thoroughly enjoyed FBR. If you are the type of person that needs a PERFECT room then I do not recommend FBR for you. If you are laid back and make the best of what you are given, then you'll have no problems and FBR.

Also on Saturday and Sunday the hotel offered swimming lessons to local children. I love the fact that the hotel does this and enjoyed watching the kids have a good time.
I would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed November 2009

Been to Frigate Bay Resort? Share your experiences!