“Private Condo Rental - Excellent Alternative to Hotel-Based Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Christopher Club

You added St. Christopher Club to your Saves list
St. Christopher Club
P.O. Box 570, Basseterre, St. Kitts   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Basseterre
Toronto, Canada
“Private Condo Rental - Excellent Alternative to Hotel-Based Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I recently returned from my annual visit to St. Kitts. Best holiday ever! I've stayed at a variety of properties in St. Kitts over the years, but I can honestly say that I have finally found my "home away from home." I rented a one-bedroom unit at St. Christopher Club, a complex of privately-owned spacious condos in Frigate Bay. For 11 days, I imagined myself living permanently in one of the most conveniently located spots for a short vacation, or for a longer stay! This is a perfect unit for the independent-minded traveller, who still craves some of the conveniences and attention that a hotel stay might offer.

The condo is spacious, nicely decorated and well-lit, with a flood of natural daylight through several windows and 2 sets of French doors to balcony that stretches the length of the bedroom and living area. The bedroom has a king-size bed with comfortable mattress for good restful sleep, rattan dresser and end table, and a very spacious closet. Ironing board, iron and all manner of cleaning supplies and niceties for day-to-day-living are also supplied.
The unit is meticulously clean, and well equipped in all aspects, from kitchen amenities, including full size fridge, stove, microwave, and small dishwasher, to high quality towels and linens, brand-new small flat-screen t.v. in the living room, and apartment-sized washer and dryer - which I found super-convenient and put to use several times! The balcony is also very spacious, with two teak tables, chairs and a lounger.

I often found myself reluctant to head out to the beach as I felt so comfortable lounging on "my own" balcony, where I could enjoy the constant breeze of the nearby Atlantic. The manager for this private rental, Deborah, has thought of everything, so I really wanted for nothing. She was also readily on hand and very responsive, ensuring that all my needs or concerns were met. But frankly, once I had settled in, I was hard-pressed to find anything to be concerned about, as Deborah has provided for everything to make a weary traveller feel at home.

The grounds are spacious and well-tended, with a pool and loungers at the centre. The location is quite perfect - overlooking the golf course on one side, and the Atlantic Ocean with dramatic hills on the other. Overall, the grounds could use more greenery - shrubs, plams, etc. It looks very lush from the main road, however, there are wide-open barren spots at the centre of the complex, which would be much more aesthetically pleasing, and a source of needed shade near the pool area. Small flaw for a nearly perfect stay. Nearby are beaches, several restaurants and cafes, all within easy walking distance (or a short drive or cab-ride away.)

Some visitors might downgrade the rating based on the fact that the beach is narrow and not particularly usable, except perhaps for walks, but as I am no longer interested in long days spent at the beach, I was seeking a comfortable room or apartment that was well-situated near stores, shops, cafes and beach bars, while also being spacious and comfortable enough that I would feel quite at home should I decide to remain indoors (in this case - hours spent lounging in the balcony). Because I got exactly what I wanted, Deborah and the St. Christopher Club complex deserve full-points!

Addendum: I also had the opportunity to view the adjacent two-bedroom unit, which can be rented on its own, as a one -bedroom or as part of a larger configuration with a total of three bedrooms and two kitchens. I must say, I really loved the two-bedroom as well. It had an absolutely huge kitchen, dining and living room combo, a double-vanity sink in the bathroom. As a "combo" these two units would be ideal for a larger family with teens, two couples, or a group of friends.

I will definitely rent either of these units through Deborah again!

Room Tip: This was a private rental through the owner's agent/manager. Feel free to contact me for more i...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Schenectady, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This location is great for people who want to access both the Atlantic and the Caribbean side of the island. It was a great spot for food, and access to taxi's. If you're willing to enjoy the local culture and participate in the local business then this is the spot to be. Great view of ocean and mountains. The pool is convenient and clean. Quiet spot but close to the main circles. Great kitchenette!! Makes it very possible to cook your own meals instead of dinning out. Laundry, cable, great AC and fans, and some internet (wireless). If you never want to leave your hotel and experience the island for what it has to offer then this is not the place for you. Great stay for people who want to see the whole island! Construction is all done! This hotel is not meant to be a close-in. Go out and see the island.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

There isn't any more construction, as some other users have described and I don't know how long they've been finished but the grounds are well taken care of with many nice palm trees, date trees, royal palms and what I think are almond trees. There was a lot of open grass which I found a little odd. While most other properties would try to fit as many condos onto a piece of land, it seems the developers opted to keep things simple and open and it looks like it's paying off. It was so well taken care of that even after Irene there was little to no clean up needed.

Their pools are nice, the older one is an odd lightning bolt or zigzag shape but the new one is much more modern with a jacuzzi big enough for 6-8 people. The jacuzzi is elevated above the pool but connected to it with a waterfall. Basically the jacuzzi has a small infinity wall and the run off creates a small waterfall falling 3 or 4 feet into the pool. Very well thought out.

Oh and the pool has a built in bar, but unfortunately it's used for private parties and doesn't have a dedicated bartender.

The condo itself was very clean and smelt nice as if it had just been cleaned. The patios we enormous and made for a great dinning area during the evenings. The air conditioner stopped producing cold air during our third day there but we reported it to the management and it was fixed by that night.

During Irene we were expecting to get wet, a least a little, but we never even had to mop once. The power failed twice the first night and twice the second day. The first time was nice because it gave us an authentic feel to a storm and gave us front row tickets to a great lightning show. every time after that it was just annoying. As bad as it is to say, the only consolation to losing power was that most of, if not all of, Frigate Bay and nearly all the condomium projects along the road had lost power as well.

The Atlantic beach wasn't very nice to swim at, way to much seaweed. Couldn't even lounge around. But we chalked that up to the storm. The Caribbean side was much nicer and wasn't nearly as dirty, plus all the bars you could want.

Room Tip: Get one of the newer buildings. From what we saw, the designs had changed a bit since the 1st 2 buil...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Hough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

We stayed at St Christopher Club earlier this year and absolutely loved it. Unlike most of those previously commenting, we didn't stay at one of the older timeshare apts. at St Christopher Club (so can't really comment on them) - but instead booked directly with the owners (seagrapes@thecable.net) and stayed at a recently built privately rented apartment within the St Christopher Club complex. Given the previous comments we were somewhat apprehensive but I can honestly say we were more than pleasantly surprised, we were ecstatic, as it was definitely one of the best apartments we have ever stayed at in the Caribbean. The apartment we stayed at can be rented as 1 very large appt. (3 bedrooms/ 2 bathrooms/ 2 lounge-kitchens/ 2 large balconies), or can be rented as 2 separate appts, the larger and more luxurious of the two being called "Sea Grapes" & the other "Oleander". Both have huge balconies with wonderful sea views, with Sea Grapes also overlooking the brand new swimming pool. The furnishings in both apts are absolutely beautiful (see photos) and both are very clean and amazingly well equipped - it was like being at home, but in the sun!
I agree, there was some minor construction work ongoing whilst we were there but the owners had pre-warned us and it really didn't cause us any problems. The construction looked to be very nearly finished - certainly the beautiful new infinity swimming pool/Jacuzzi and the new tennis court were completed and just before we came home they were busy planting extra palm trees and improving the landscaping generally. We used the old swimming pool for the first half of our stay, and although it was regularly cleaned, I agree it was looking somewhat tired - but understand this has since been repainted etc. so next time we'll have 2 lovely pools to choose from!
As for location, it really can't be beaten. St Kitts has so many hills we were pleased to have found a location from where we could easily walk everywhere without the need for a car. There were numerous good restaurants/bars all within a few minutes stroll away as were the shops and of course the Marriott, with its Golf Course and Casino.
As for beaches, we had the best of both worlds - either the beautiful, secluded Atlantic beach with its dramatic waves right on our doorstep, which we found perfect for walks before breakfast, or the beautiful calm Caribbean with sun loungers, bars, several places to eat & drink - just an easy 6 minutes stroll away. During part of our stay we hired a car, and so were able not only to tour round the island but also go to some stunning & totally secluded beaches - Cockleshell, Majors, SandyBank Bay etc. totally idyllic!
To us St Kitts is the unspoilt Caribbean, its people are really lovely and its so laid back you feel totally relaxed. We've been to other islands in the Caribbean but will certainly be returning not only to St Kitts but also to the Sea Grapes/Orleander apartments at St Christopher Club. In fact we've just booked for Feb 2010. Can't wait!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Norwalk, Ct.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

We traded thru Interval International and it was of only two places that we have traded that we will never go back to (we have been members for 15 years!). First of all, there is a lot of construction going on at this place. The noise starts around 8am and ends at 5pm. We just made sure we left for the entire day, everyday. The i bedroon "apartment" was small. The kitchen very small and inadequate. The refrigerator was really tiny, no oven, the dishwasher was also very tiny (think Minnie and Mickey Mouse size). When we got there we arrived to find the following: 2 plates, several forks, no knives, 2 pans, no can opener, no blender, no hair dryer..........you get the idea. The gentleman who brought us up, peter, was vey nice and ried to help us. He managed to find us a hair dryer, some silverware, plates etc. The best thing he found us was an old ice cooler which we used on the patio the entire week because of the size of the refrigerator. We spent $50 for ice that week but the inconvience of running to the store for ice everyday was the worse part.
Rge deck faced the mountains (thank goodness) so at least we didn't have to watch the construction (just hear it). The deck was about 20 feet by 40 feet!!! I am serious! Peter said "well you can have a party out here" I said, "well, not really, we don't have any dishes or silverware". Don't get me wrong, it was a nice deck but it was stange to have such a small living area and such a huge deck. By the way, no cushions for the lounge chair.
Ok, enough about the "Club". St. Kitts is beautiful.....mountains, rainforests, great beaches. We had a car (you really need one here) and we were able to go to a different place everyday. Our suggestions: Reggae Bar on the beach, snorkeling in front of the "proposed" aquarium (really unbelievable!....bring your own equipment), Mr. X Shiggidy Shack at Frigate Bay (this was the only place that had any entertainment...on Thursdays they have live music, bonfire on the beach and a fireeater), Turtle Beach Bar and Grill (good place to spend the day).
Unfortunately for the nice people in St. kitts the island was deserted and we went at the high season! The good news, no waiting for a table at the restaurants. The restaurants were ok......try Bobsys, Ciao (good Italian), P.J's pizza. Some of the restaurants in Fodors 2008 were gone (Island Spice). We never got to the restaurants in the northern part of St. Kitts because it would have been an hours ride each way! Not fun at night after a couple of glasses of wine. There are supposed to be some good ones.
We spent on night at Timothy Beach Resort....got the roon thur travelocity and it was only $115 and right on the beach but nothing fancy (alittle run down actually) but what can you expect for $115? Hope this review helps. By the way, grocery stores are a bit limited in goods even for the Caribbean.
Also, we spent one whole day at the Marriott down the street.......very, very nice!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

Construction, construction and more construction!!!! No grounds to speak off, old swimming pool, bathroom needs a new shower, beach is not swimable, no real tennis court.... just a court with a green unmarked carpet. Very little response from mgmnt when requested help. Unit was not cleaned.

Been to St. Christopher Club? Share your experiences!