“I won't be able to top it next year!” 5 of 5 stars

Brac Reef Beach Resort
PO Box 56 WE | Brac Reef Beach, Cayman Brac   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cayman Brac
Memphis, Tennessee
“I won't be able to top it next year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

My wife and I just love it here! We spent 9 nights here and let the stresses of our lives melt away! Quickly we settled in our suite and off we went to explore the beach! Later we went diving, and snorkeling and a small bike ride. We toured the Island and ate some local jerk chicken from a small shack! The caves were cool as well as the fish we saw!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Lake Arrowhead, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We stayed at the Brac Reef Beach Resort over Thanksgiving with our 22 year old daughter. We had a wondereful time. The resort is well maintained (and basically brand new after the rebuild from the hurricane of November 2008) the food was well prepared (for a buffett) and most importantly the diving wqas fantastic. We only had a short time so only dove 3 days, but were able to dive the Russian wreck, blodody bay wall over on Little Cayman and several outstanding sites on the Brac.

For those considering the Brac you either need to be a diver or enjoy just hanging around and doing nothing but relaxing.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Living already in Grand Cayman, I was expecting Cayman Brac to be rugged and unspoilt. Nothing could be further from the truth: it is dirty and there is a scary feeling of maybe something going on behind closed doors all the time.

The Reef resort has no complementary pick-up, so you have to pay whatever price the taxi driver wants. On arrival, the member of staff was curt and rather unhelpful. We asked about the time of breakfast, unaware that it was not included, unlike most International hotels, and we got stung for 20 CI at the end. Had I known, I'd have filled up my bag.

We were only given one rental option and that was 42 US per day for a rusty old jeep, whereas you get a lovely Kia sportage for 26 CI a day with air con and radio from McLaughlins in Littel Cayman. We were told by the driver how to drive and even though we live on Grand Cayman, The car couldn't go above 40 mph due to a steering problem.

On check-out, no aplology for being ripped off at breakfast, no thnaks or have a nice journey- awful snotty staff. I was disappointed that we were told we had to be at the airport an hour and 20 minutes early despite knowing this was untrue and the staff member, Lisle, refused to change the taxi time she had pre-ordered without asking us. I write this review from the airport where we have do access to drinks except a water fountain and have a longer than one hour wait. The radio playing is an evangelical station.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I want to preface this review by stating that Brac Reef Beach Resort is a very nice resort in comparison to many other dive resorts in the Caribbean. My expectations are high for this resort and it did not quite meet my expectations. It is still a great place to visit. Don't cancel your trip there because of this review.

The resort was hit by a hurricane and tornado in late 2008. Much of the front office, dining room and bar were destroyed. For over a year the resort underwent major renovations. Although the guest rooms received a face lift they are still small and leave a lot to be desired.

The all new bar is really nice and a great gathing place after a day of diving. Drinks are very expensive, but they have to haul booze in by boat so that can be expected. The bar is not exactly connected to the swimming pool which would have been a nice touch.

The dining room is nice and is basically the same as it was before the storm. Size is adequate and you never have to wait for a table. The food is excellent as always and the staff in the dining room is great. This is an all-inclusive resort and the meals are included with most packages. Don't think you will buy your meals at the restaurant. They are way too expensive to do that. Junk food at the bar is OK for lunch if you do a breakfast/dinner package.

The dive shop is the same as before. This resort and Little Cayman are the best dive operations I have ever experienced. Great staff, great boats and spectacular dive sites.

One of my favorite features was the boat house with hammocks and swings at the end of the boat dock. It blew away completely in the storm and has not been replaced. I hope the resort can get back on its feet financially and will rebuild that great boat house.

And now for the guest rooms. The beds are hard and low to the ground. I'm not sure if they were replaced in the renovation. I don't think so. There are new furnishings in the rooms, but the dresser has drawers too narrow for most shorts and shirts. The open closet will allow you to hang shirts if you bring your own hangers. There is basically no other storage in the rooms. So, you end up with your room looking like a rummage sale all week long. We had luggage, dive gear, shoes, fins, masks,etc. scattered everywhere.

Although all rooms are non-smoking, ours had a strong smell of smoke. I'm convinced the person in the room the previous week must have smoked all week in the room. Our clothes smelled like smoke the whole week. I sympathize with the manager, however, because most smokers are unwilling to abide by rules. Most smokers will ignore the little "NO SMOKING" sign and light up anyway.

So in summary, Brac Reef Beach Resort is a wonderful little piece of paradise but just don't go there expecting the rooms to be 5-star rated. Everything else at the resort is two thumbs up!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Niceville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

The Brac Reef Beach Resort has been wonderfully restored since hurricane Paloma. The rooms have been upgraded and modernized. There is WiFi in the rooms which is very helpful to keep track of your emails while you are topside. The diving is very good although the reefs, in places, are still recovering from the effects of Paloma. The food is good but not great. But there is enough variety in the buffet style serving to accomodate most tastes. The staff is always helpful and available. Don't overlook the spa - Elaine is a very good masseuse. Dive shop is adequate for items divers may need or have forgotten. Valet diving is a pleasure on the 46 foot Newton boats. Put this at the top of your list for a pleasureable dive vacation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

We spent 3 nights at the Brac Reef and enjoyed every minute of it. The food was excellent, the service was extremely friendly and meticulous and the location could not be beat. We spent quite a few sunsets lying in the hammocks set up along the beach in front of the resort. She had a wonderful spa experience for an entire afternoon in the resort as well. We loved it and recommend it to anyone traveling to the Brac.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

The Hotel was nice, but the walls "thin"... The food was outstanding, the staff over and above. We could not have asked for a better staff, great folks..All of you,Thank you so much! ...A mini fridge in the room and maybe a pen by the phone would have been nice, don't be so cheap, just add it in.
Now, may I address the Dive Center. Does the word "cattle boat" mean anything? Looking back at my dive computer it reads like a German train sch.
In all fairness, I''ll break it down.
On a 1-10,... Safety a "9.5". On cleaning up and taking care of my gear after the dive a "1".
You didn't touch it or clean it up, that's what you told me you would do, you didn't.
The Capt., a hard working man, but does not really connect with the people on his boat, it's just a job to him and it shows, I give a "8". The Divemaster, well I'm sorry Divemaster on the "Little Sister" I have gear older than you, Divemastering is a hard job and if you don't do it right you'll bring everyone around you down a notch, I give you a "2". And a "tip" from an old Divemaster, If you make it fun they will come, back to tip you.
The marine life was few and shy, being a diver for 36 years this tells me the sites are over worked....And don't waste your money on Nitrox, you will be expected on the boat with the other divers; ..So we don't miss that train.
And may I finish with, keep the non-diving children off the dive boat, I'm not a baby sitter; I'm on vacation and swimming through her vomit takes some of the fun out of it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Brac Reef Beach Resort? Share your experiences!