“Excellent operation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cayman Brac
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Excellent operation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Brac Reef is an excellent operation. The staff were cheerful and attentive. The rooms are very nice with good spacious showers and effective air-conditioning units that come on and quickly cool the room down when you enter and stick your keycard in the little slot by the door. There is free wifi that worked perfectly. The buffet-style food service is very good. The Tipsy Turtle bar is nice. The dive shop - Reef Divers - is right on the property between the dining hall and the boat. Reef Divers is very well-run and makes the diving as easy as possible. There is a narrow but picturesque little beach with hammocks that are covered by ramadas so you don't have to worry about getting sunburned while napping away the afternoon. They even have little handles by them so you can rock yourself to sleep. The resort has a fleet of decent one-speed bikes that you can borrow free of charge and ride around the island. Having done so several times during my week there and toured the entirety of Cayman Brac, I can say with some confidence that BR2 has no real competition on the island. There is a weekly schedule of activities that adds some entertainment value - movie night, hermit crab races, bbq night with live music, all of which were appropriately festive without imparting any of that dreaded cruise-ship vibe. All in all, BR2 is a great place for a caribbean scuba vacation. If you go, I strongly recommend taking a few hours - maybe while you're on no-fly time after your last dive (or anytime if you're not a diver) to snorkel at the M.V. Tibbetts site near the airport, which is a short bike ride from the resort. With a little patience (and a lot less nitrogen absorption) you can see many of the same creatures there that you see diving. Look on the PADI website to see if there is a package deal.

Room Tip: I don't think room location makes much difference on this property. None of the rooms are '...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was in the Brac with 4 adults and 4 teenagers. We ate at the Brac Reef Resort for the buffet lunch almost every day while we were there. We were staying at Secluded Sunsets not far away, and I just have to say it was an amazing house for rent!!! The lunches at the resort were pricey at $17 per person, but the food was absolutely wonderful. It was all you can eat, so that helped keep everyone satisfied! The entrees changed each day, so there was variety. Our waitress, Joanne, was a wonderful part of our trip. She was so kind, we looked forward to seeing here each day. She was very attentive to all of our needs. She remembered each day who we were, who liked what, etc. There was always salad, deli meat for sandwiches, wonderful soup, two main dishes to choose from (the bbq ribs...oh, my goodness, unbelievable) yeast bread, a couple of sides, dessert, tea, juice, coffee. We were pleased every time we ate here. The dining room was very clean and just a peaceful place to be. After we ate we would walk down to the beach. It was very beautiful, with hammocks and chairs and palm trees. The Brac has very rocky beaches, which is why the snorkeling is superb, but the Brac Reef Resort did have a sandy beach that you could walk on without your dive shoes on. There are also some trees at the top of the beach that you can sit on for some wonderful pictures. We will definitely eat again here if we ever get to return to this amazing little island!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I just finished a week at Brac Reef Resort. The food and people were terrific. The dive personnel could not have been more courteous or professional. I arrived with the Jupiter Dive Center group from Jupiter Fl. (I am from Tampa). If you have ever been disappointed by a resort that thought this was their holiday instead of YOURS because it was dive related you won't get any of that here. Housekeeping is also amazing. I definitely will be back on my own.

Room Tip: They have a wing close to the dive shop if you want to be closer. Get a 2nd floor room for a sunny d...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

First trip to Cayman Brac, as part of a 14 person dive trip. Every facet of our dive vacation was more relaxing and memorable thanks to friendly, courteous and prompt service from the ENTIRE resort staff. An exceptional dining experience was had by all thanks to Chef Gregory and his team. Special thanks to Hellen, Brett & Barb of Coral Sister for providing a memorable diving experience that will linger until we can return for more. Safe, clean, scenic & fun for the whole family. Treated like a welcome guest from check-in to check-out. You won't regret staying at Brac Reef Beach Resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I only visited the bar restaurant which was okay but quite expensive. Everything is expensive in Cayman islands. The only dish I can remember that was good is the Snapper which was a large fish and quite memorable.

I stayed at the Featherstone apartments which had a private beach. The beaches in Cayman brac are very stony and very few nice beaches. You would have to walk over the stones to get to the sandy area. but then the ocean waves could throw you on the rocks which are very sharp is you are not a good swimmer like me. So I did not get in the water which was quite disappointing. I dont know about the Braf Reef beach as I did not get on it. The island is very quiet it is just the place to go for rest and relaxation. I did not see a single boat go by on the beach I stayed on - and not a single person. In fact if you dont go out to get food you could pass the entire day without seeing or speaking to anyone. I also was treated to the sight of a large pod of dolphins swimming by one morning and watching shooting stars on the private beach at night. The manager of featherstone is such a wonderful lady - she left me a cake and a candle for my birthday which was so sweet. She gave me a lot of advice before I arrived which was really useful. I would recommend featherstone. In the apartment is a little book where previous residents have documented interesting useful information and the manager has also left a folder with all the useful tips - read it if you stay there - that's the first thing to do! You really have to look our for the places to eat as they may be hard to find. Ed's place is just great for Jerk chicken - I long for it. I got so much chicken for $12.00 it was the most chicken I had eaten during my entire stay at Cayman brac. Aunty Sha's kitchen that is listed in lonely planet has changed its name - I cant remember the name now :( But it is a good place to eat. If you are on a budget take microwaveable food with you as it is much cheaper. I rented a car for $30 per day and had to pay $17.50 for a drivers permit. I would recommend it so you can get around the island. Take good shoes for walking as the rocks on the bluff beach (north east side) are very sharp and you can get seriously injured from even a slight fall. You would need the same for the beach walk on the south east side. To walk the lighthouse walk on the bluff I would recommend taking an umbrella as there is no shade and it can get very hot. I am dark skinned and I had sunblock on but the sun was burning and I thought I would pass out even though I had lots of water with me. There is no posted sign as to where you can see the little cayman brac rock which is quite a shame since I would have liked to take a photo of it. I would also recommend long cotton pants as the pathway in many areas is overgrown with weeds and plants and they rub against your skin. Nevertheless the views are breathtaking and seeing the birds with babies are worth it. I tried to go up to see Peters cave but the so called steps did not look appealing and the plants and vines where growing everywhere that it would have been difficult to hold on to the railing to walk up so cant quite comment on that. The lighthouse is not quite remarkable - I was expecting better - but it is what it is. Locals are really friendly and it is customary to wave as you pass by people walking or in other cars. On the whole Cayman brac is good for rest and relaxation, walking, rock climbing and diving. Little cayman has the best beaches and is also good for R&R. Grand Cayman is very busy - referred to as 'little Miami'. It has dunkin donuts, KFC, burger king and popeyes chicken. If you are flying a US airline like United its better to buy your food on the flight than in the Cayman airport - food on flight is $8.50 while in the airport its $15.00. The waiting area in the airport is small and very busy so you may not want to go in until 1.5 hrs before your flight. US $ are accepted everywhere but know your conversion rates.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Towson, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The finest Reef experience ever! From checkin to checkout the Brac Reef Beach Resort is 1st class. Dove on the Little Sister with Capitan Eric and 1st mate Dan for the week. Two professional divers with a friendly smile. The pre-dive site discussion was very visual, safety is the No. 1 priority all the time. My family is new to diving and the underwater tour was wonderful on each trip. The boat is fully equipted, and the rides to the dive sights takes from 2 - 15 minuets. We lucked out with 6 days of 85 degree weather and water. At 40 - 80 feet depth our visability was unlimited and the fish, sponges, and coral spectacular. The food is outstanding. We chose the 3 meal a day plan and we all came home knowing the chef and staff had done a magnificant job once we hit the scale. Let the front desk set up an island tour by bus for the day befor you leave. Great sights and fun history. Of the 16 divers on our boat, all had been to the BRBR before, one for 30+ years. Great bar too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Seabrook, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We have made an annual trip to the resort for the last 5 years. We are never disappointed. Any special requests are handled graciously and efficiently. The staff is always on their A game. Th e resort os well maintained and relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Brac Reef Beach Resort? Share your experiences!