“Outstanding dive resort!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cayman Brac
Tampa, Florida
“Outstanding dive resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I just finished a week at Brac Reef Resort. The food and people were terrific. The dive personnel could not have been more courteous or professional. I arrived with the Jupiter Dive Center group from Jupiter Fl. (I am from Tampa). If you have ever been disappointed by a resort that thought this was their holiday instead of YOURS because it was dive related you won't get any of that here. Housekeeping is also amazing. I definitely will be back on my own.

Room Tip: They have a wing close to the dive shop if you want to be closer. Get a 2nd floor room for a sunny d...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

First trip to Cayman Brac, as part of a 14 person dive trip. Every facet of our dive vacation was more relaxing and memorable thanks to friendly, courteous and prompt service from the ENTIRE resort staff. An exceptional dining experience was had by all thanks to Chef Gregory and his team. Special thanks to Hellen, Brett & Barb of Coral Sister for providing a memorable diving experience that will linger until we can return for more. Safe, clean, scenic & fun for the whole family. Treated like a welcome guest from check-in to check-out. You won't regret staying at Brac Reef Beach Resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I only visited the bar restaurant which was okay but quite expensive. Everything is expensive in Cayman islands. The only dish I can remember that was good is the Snapper which was a large fish and quite memorable.

I stayed at the Featherstone apartments which had a private beach. The beaches in Cayman brac are very stony and very few nice beaches. You would have to walk over the stones to get to the sandy area. but then the ocean waves could throw you on the rocks which are very sharp is you are not a good swimmer like me. So I did not get in the water which was quite disappointing. I dont know about the Braf Reef beach as I did not get on it. The island is very quiet it is just the place to go for rest and relaxation. I did not see a single boat go by on the beach I stayed on - and not a single person. In fact if you dont go out to get food you could pass the entire day without seeing or speaking to anyone. I also was treated to the sight of a large pod of dolphins swimming by one morning and watching shooting stars on the private beach at night. The manager of featherstone is such a wonderful lady - she left me a cake and a candle for my birthday which was so sweet. She gave me a lot of advice before I arrived which was really useful. I would recommend featherstone. In the apartment is a little book where previous residents have documented interesting useful information and the manager has also left a folder with all the useful tips - read it if you stay there - that's the first thing to do! You really have to look our for the places to eat as they may be hard to find. Ed's place is just great for Jerk chicken - I long for it. I got so much chicken for $12.00 it was the most chicken I had eaten during my entire stay at Cayman brac. Aunty Sha's kitchen that is listed in lonely planet has changed its name - I cant remember the name now :( But it is a good place to eat. If you are on a budget take microwaveable food with you as it is much cheaper. I rented a car for $30 per day and had to pay $17.50 for a drivers permit. I would recommend it so you can get around the island. Take good shoes for walking as the rocks on the bluff beach (north east side) are very sharp and you can get seriously injured from even a slight fall. You would need the same for the beach walk on the south east side. To walk the lighthouse walk on the bluff I would recommend taking an umbrella as there is no shade and it can get very hot. I am dark skinned and I had sunblock on but the sun was burning and I thought I would pass out even though I had lots of water with me. There is no posted sign as to where you can see the little cayman brac rock which is quite a shame since I would have liked to take a photo of it. I would also recommend long cotton pants as the pathway in many areas is overgrown with weeds and plants and they rub against your skin. Nevertheless the views are breathtaking and seeing the birds with babies are worth it. I tried to go up to see Peters cave but the so called steps did not look appealing and the plants and vines where growing everywhere that it would have been difficult to hold on to the railing to walk up so cant quite comment on that. The lighthouse is not quite remarkable - I was expecting better - but it is what it is. Locals are really friendly and it is customary to wave as you pass by people walking or in other cars. On the whole Cayman brac is good for rest and relaxation, walking, rock climbing and diving. Little cayman has the best beaches and is also good for R&R. Grand Cayman is very busy - referred to as 'little Miami'. It has dunkin donuts, KFC, burger king and popeyes chicken. If you are flying a US airline like United its better to buy your food on the flight than in the Cayman airport - food on flight is $8.50 while in the airport its $15.00. The waiting area in the airport is small and very busy so you may not want to go in until 1.5 hrs before your flight. US $ are accepted everywhere but know your conversion rates.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Towson, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The finest Reef experience ever! From checkin to checkout the Brac Reef Beach Resort is 1st class. Dove on the Little Sister with Capitan Eric and 1st mate Dan for the week. Two professional divers with a friendly smile. The pre-dive site discussion was very visual, safety is the No. 1 priority all the time. My family is new to diving and the underwater tour was wonderful on each trip. The boat is fully equipted, and the rides to the dive sights takes from 2 - 15 minuets. We lucked out with 6 days of 85 degree weather and water. At 40 - 80 feet depth our visability was unlimited and the fish, sponges, and coral spectacular. The food is outstanding. We chose the 3 meal a day plan and we all came home knowing the chef and staff had done a magnificant job once we hit the scale. Let the front desk set up an island tour by bus for the day befor you leave. Great sights and fun history. Of the 16 divers on our boat, all had been to the BRBR before, one for 30+ years. Great bar too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Seabrook, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We have made an annual trip to the resort for the last 5 years. We are never disappointed. Any special requests are handled graciously and efficiently. The staff is always on their A game. Th e resort os well maintained and relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013
Port Huron, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Our dive group decided to give the Brac a try this year. What a super place. Our group of 16 (3 non divers) enjoyed a week of diving, eating, and creating an art project to leave behind. The diving was superb, absolutely stunning. The dive operation was very well run and organized. Our crew - Barb, Brett and Dan, were polite and accommodating in every aspect. The dining experience was fabulous. We were on the 3 meal program, and every meal was great. The front desk was also very gracious. My wife suffered a huge bruising in the van on the way to the resort, and the ladies at the desk went out of their way to get her a baggie with ice and a small towel to bring down the swelling. You won't find this kind of service most places. Would definitely recommend Brac Reef for a diving vacation, although our non divers seemed to have a great time as well.

Room Tip: Either upper on lower rooms are good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Greenville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Went to the resort as part of a group of folks for scuba diving. We and our luggage were picked up at the small airport and after a 5 minute drive...were at the resort. Check-in was smooth and initially we had a downstairs room...if you're a light sleeper, even with ear plugs, GET AN UPSTAIRS room! That way you get to make the noise that gets transmitted to the folks below.
I will review the dive operation in a separate review...very professional.

Our package included 17 dives, 3 meals/day, transfers and fees to and from airport plus the room for 7 days and 6 nights....~$1500. The rooms were pretty average...2 double beds..nice shower/bathroom. Beds and pillows were comfortable and the AC worked well. TV was basically non-existent until the day we left and then suddenly became very clear and several stations...not sure how that happened.

The meals were outstanding...many choices for all three and way more than you could ever eat. For several of the dinners we had a carving station with prime rib and steak. The dessert table always had fresh batch of cookies and a gallon of ice cream with lots of toppings to go on. At night, cakes and pies.....to pick from....too good! There were two eating areas--one with AC which was usually loud with folks talking about their diving adventures and the other--just outside but screened to prevent insects from ruining the meal...I usually chose the outside for quiet.

The staff was superb..they always had a great attitude, made sure your water glass was filled with ice water---you can drink the local water--there is a desal plant on the island.

Like I said, went there for the diving and was duly impressed....but the real pleasant surprise was the hotel and food. They have hammocks, a palapa bar with nightly events and the resort is on the beach but there is enough rocky formations it's not swimmer friendly. There is a pool that is quite nice and the place is well kept.

All in all---a great diving vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Brac Reef Beach Resort? Share your experiences!