“takes chillout to a whole new level” 5 of 5 stars

Brac Reef Beach Resort
PO Box 56 WE | Brac Reef Beach, Cayman Brac   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Cayman Brac
Midlands
“takes chillout to a whole new level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

As first time visitors to the Cayman Islands, my wife and I chose Brac Reef as an escape from the "hustle and bustle of Grand Cayman"! Upon arrival, we were whisked the short journey to the hotel, in search of our objective - doing absolutely nothing on a desert island paradise. We were not disappointed. Friendly, efficient reception check in, huge ground floor room with a bed the size of Shropshire, filter coffee maker, scrupulously clean, air-con, spotlessshower/bath and patio door with terrace leading to - WOW!
You are yards from the beach. Literally. It would take a writer or a poet to fully convey the beauty, so I'll let the pictures do the talking. Highlights? The friendly welcome from everyone.Falling asleep on one of the cleverly positioned hammocks, on the beach, under the stars. The best steak I have ever tasted. Making our way through the very reasonably priced bar menu and cocktail list. Sitting in the hot tub with a rum runner. Strolling along a deserted beach, beer in hand, to watch a fabulous sunset every night. Taking photos that look like picture postcards. Painting rocks, shells and driftwood to leave undisturbed as a memento of our visit. Swinging in a hammock on the pier listening to the sea.
For memories that will last a lifetime, come to Brac Reef. We are not divers - I wish I was looking at the facilities - but it is the perfect place for total relaxation.
Take time out to see the rest of the island too - it won't take long. See the lighthouse, the boobies (they're birds), the lush vegetation, the caves, the cliffs, the local reggae bars.
Want the perfect, unspoilt, tranquil island getaway?
Brac Reef. You know you deserve it. Five stars.

• Liked — friendly and efficient
  • Disliked — checking out
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

Dive, Dive, Dive that’s about all there is to do on the island. Nothing wrong with that but if you don’t want to dive three times a day, this might not be your place.

The resort was as I expected and maybe a little more. Three meals a day (buffets) weren’t bad. The service at the buffets dinners was great, the others were acceptable but they wouldn’t go out of their way for you. The food at the bar was a nice change for lunch a couple of days. The grounds of the resort were nice but with a little more up keep they could be spectacular. The second story on the pier with a couple of hammocks is a nice touch.

The room was comfortable. The cleaning staff does not by any means exert themselves in cleaning the rooms. Empty cups and plates are left in the room but the beds are made and clean towels are left.

When you leave the resort to return home, they prepare a plate of muffins and such, to give you something in your stomach for your travel that you pickup after dinner the night before. I have to admit no other resort has ever done that that I have stayed in.

The dive shop was great in some expects and lacking in others. There is a gear bag that is left in your room that you place your equipment in (with the exception of your mask and computers) which you leave outside your door the morning you start to dive. The dive briefings were very complete but the divemaster part was lacking. They only stay in the water for 30 mins (which they didn’t tell us until the first dive was competed). I don’t mind not having a divemaster in the water but my partner prefers it. The “valet” diving means they set your gear up and bring it to the back of the boat for you is a nice idea and it seemed like most people enjoyed it. The diving was good, I wouldn’t say great but we did see one hammerhead shark. We only had three different divemasters all week which was good in some ways. Ken was the best above and below the water for us.

I think I would go back there again but my partner doesn’t seem open to the idea.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
minneapolis, mn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

When I go on a beach vacation, I want three things: great diving, good food and a shady place to read my book on the beach. Cayman Brac fulfilled my requirements to a "t". Reef Divers is an excellent, well-run operation and while the reef was not the most colorful I have seen in the Caribbean, there was still plenty to see. Bloody Wall off of Little Cayman was especially good. We saw lots of turtles, sting rays, huge grouper, barracuda, lots of lobsters and crabs, a seahorse and several lettuce sea slugs.

The people at the Brac Reef Resort couldn't have been nicer and really worked hard to accomodate our every need. When the computer that provides internet access in the lobby was down, the manager let me use her personal computer in her office. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Omar, the waiter in the dining room, was especially nice. The rooms at Brac Reef Resort are basic, but provide plenty of room, are kept clean and there was plenty of hot water, so I had no complaints.

The beach is nice, but you cannot wander into the ocean without footwear of some kind, too rocky. There are lovely hammocks and beach chairs and plenty of shade. I spent several hours every afternoon reading my book while a gentle breeze kept me from becoming too hot. The pool area is nice too, although the pool isn't particularly large.

We had the all inclusive package so we ate from the buffet at every meal. I am pretty picky about the quality of my food and I always found something that I liked. There is always a lot of salad and fresh fruit as well.

Another nice thing about the resort is that it is small enough that it is easy to meet other guests. We spent several evenings with other people, talking or playing games. All in all, a lovely experience.

grand cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

We visited Brac Reef resort a few weeks ago and really enjoyed our stay. The staff are wonderful.
We are not divers but live in the islands and wanted a quiet getaway, this was the place to go for that. The sevice at the bar and the dining room was unbelievable. My wife likes her fruity frozen drinks and always likes to try new things so she always asked the bartenders what she should get and they always gave great suggestions. Lorrie was wonderful and made my wife some amazing drinks and now she always craves those cayman coladas. I would suggest this resort and island if you need a quiet relaxing getaway. We will be back to the Brac Reef Resort for our relaxation, great service and the fruity frozen drinks.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

The Brac Reef Beach Resort is sort of like a summer camp for adults - if you do the all-inclusive plan, you never need to carry a wallet, just show up at the dining room at meal times or order a drink at the bar. The staff quickly learn your name and room number, making this work smoothly. You also use the same dive boat throughout your stay, getting to know the crew and fellow divers well. The comraderie is wonderful, and the people are a mix of families and couples, with some adult siblings or friends traveling together as well.

The diving is amazing, and you can dive sites at Little Cayman, like Bloody Bay, as well as the 40+ sites around The Brac. The crew and dive shop are run by knowledgeable, experienced people with a fun, goofy streak, and they work well with both novice and experienced divers.

The diving is the main reason to go, but snorkelers are welcome on the dive boats, the pool was in use most afternoons, and a nap in one of the many shaded hammocks is a must. The only caveat is that there is currently construction going on to expand the dining room, which can be noisy.

• Liked — Diving
  • Disliked — Bed was too firm
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

Have been to the Brac Reef Beach resort several times. The resort itself is quite and intimate with no frills or extra amenities. There is a dive shop on-site, a small pool and hot tub, a volleyball court, and a beautiful dock. There is only one resturant on site where they have awesome buffets for every meal, and the bar does serve bar food for lunch and dinner as well.
The rooms are a nice size and some have decks or balconies and all face the ocean but most do not have views. The only amenity in the rooms is a T.V.
T here are some nightly events each day of the week that include movie night, Karoke night, and managers reception night. The staff is warm and friendly and treats you like family whether it is your 1st or 5th time. The beach is nice with white sand but is not large. There is snorkeling off of the beach.
This resort is good for people who like peace and quiet and do not need to have a lot to do. The island is very small and does not offer many attractions, mostly just SCUBA dving. This resort is great for Scuba divers with daily boat dives leaving from the pier. The diving in this area is top notch some of the best in the world. There are night dives, wall dives, wreck dives, and trips to Little Caymans Bloody Bay wall.
For a small scale hotel it is a nice island get-a-way. Due to it's size you will get to know the other people staying at the resort. Overall we have had many wonderful family vacations at this resort.

• Liked — the beach, restruant, dive shop
  • Disliked — the lack of room amenties
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

Our group was treated rudely for the entire stay by Lori & Anna at the Patio bar. It didn't seem to matter what lengths we went to try and cajole these ladies into a better mood, they were continuously rude and crabby. Lori was actually rude to all the women, she would get drinks for our husbands so we finally acquiesced and only sent the men to the bar for fear of retribution from Lori. Lori flat out refused to even acknowledge our presence when we would approach the bar for a drink or any other request. Anna was just flat out unhappy. Diving is the only reason to visit this island and this island has nothing more to offer than this bar at this resort which is an extremely unpleasant place to be. If it weren't for the excellent diving we would not have visited this island at all and we will not returen for a second time, as you can find great diving and better entertainment for your $$. We say look elsewhere!

• Liked — Diving was great
  • Disliked — wait staff
  • Stayed February 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Brac Reef Beach Resort? Share your experiences!