“Great Diving and Great Place on Little Cayman” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pirates Point Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Cayman
Pirates Point Resort
Save Saved
You added Pirates Point Resort to your Saves list
328 Guy Banks Road, KY3-2501, Little Cayman   |
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Great Diving and Great Place on Little Cayman”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Pirates Point Resort is a wonderful place to go for a diving vacation. Pirates Point is staffed by people that make you feel more like family than a customer and go way beyond the expected to make sure you are being well looked after all the time. The food is great - in fact I would like to go back for a part diving and part cooking lesson trip sometime. The diving on Little Cayman is without a doubt very good with excellent reef s and abundant life - Bloody Bay Wall is excellent and is truly filled with all kinds of critters. I have been to a good many places on dive vacations and this is definitely a place that I will be going back for more diving and relaxing. The dive crew is one of the best, if not the best, I have ever experienced. They are so helpful above and below the water. They also let you do your own thing with no strict bottom time limits and just ask that you dive your computer. I will definitely be going back....soon.

It would be unfair to single out a single staff member as they are all great and are what makes the resort so wonderful. I would thank Gay for working with me to drop several pounds of weights needed for diving.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Pirates Point, and that in itself is a huge deal. We have been diving all over the world for many years, and this is the only place we have been to more than once. The staff: Gracious Gay the Divemaster Guru (who always finds a seahorse); Mysterious Michelle; Mike "da man" - too cool; Martha (who loves to fly over the Wall); Bob ("stay with your buddy even if you are in 15 feet under the boat!"); the chefs Dazzling Dianne and Jeff the Joker ("okay, it's hot dogs tonight - do you want wheat or white buns?" ) and of course Everready Bunny Ed who keeps everything mechanical running. Gladys the owner is of course simply a legend.
All kidding aside, these eight people are what makes Pirate's Point run like a well oiled machine. This is a wonderful, laid back place where you can do two long dives and eat incredibly prepared food. Wonderful service is what the whole place is about. If you so choose, a dive master will be with you on every dive, pointing out all the little critters that are so hard to find. I think what makes PPR the gold standard is the professionalism and kindness of the staff. They are patient with novice divers and have helpful advice for experienced divers.
Oh, did I mention the food? There are 3 simple reason why we continue to return to Pirate's Point: the cuisine, the staff and the diving. We are talking a gourmet extravaganza here - for all three meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner.
So if you want to visit a unique, intimate little place where you get to know your fellow divers and want to enjoy a laid back dive trip - this is the place. We already have our reservations for 2014!

Fort Mill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We have just completed our seventh trip to Pirates Point and are already making plans to return next year. What brings us back, year after year? Little Cayman still has that relaxing, laid back, non-commercial feeling that has become a rare commodity in the Caribbean.

We return, year after year, because of:
- unspoiled dive sites
- delicious food (and lots of it)
- the opportunity to meet congenial divers from all over who share our passion for diving in a relaxed and informal setting; and
- a friendly, caring, accomplished team of staff members who we are proud to call friends.

I've written other reviews about Pirates Point that have praised the diving and food, but I want this review to focus on the people who make Pirates Point special.

Gladys Howard, the owner, was unfortunately not on the island during our stay and was sorely missed. Gladys is a larger than life Texan who is the gracious host at most meals and a fierce competitor at the nightly domino games. Even though Gladys was absent this year, the Friday night tradition of champagne and lion fish sushi continued at her lovely beachfront home.

Our fabulous dive masters (Gay, Michelle, Martha, Mike and Bob) each have a unique personality and style both under the water and on land. They are all extremely safety conscious, and strive to make all of their guests better divers. They choose dive sites based on water, wind, and current conditions and in a week of diving, we rarely visited the same sites twice (unless we asked for them!) We had outstanding dives at Meadows, Cumbers Cave, Cocoanut Walk, Nancy's Cup of Tea, Annie's Attic, and Mixing Bowl this year with turtles, eagle rays, barracuda, and sharks providing the drama. We also saw a large variety of grouper, snapper, pipe horses, flamingo tongues, tunicates, grunts, wrasses, trunkfish, trumpet fish, file fish, hamlets, parrot fish, angel fish, and tons of juveniles. In fact, the aquatic population of the reef has increased exponentially now that the Little Cayman divemasters all get together for a weekly lion fish cull. As a result, we saw far fewer lion fish this year than we have in the past four years.

All of the dive masters are also instructors and our son Nick and I have both received our advanced certification here in prior years. Their extra help makes it possible for me to dive safely (with hip and back issues) and they work hard to accomodate guests and make every dive trip fun.

Jeff and Diane do a masterful job in the kitchen, and are always trying to make sure that as a non-meat eater that I am still able to get my fill at every meal. When they are not diving, the dive masters all share the work of serving meals, pouring drinks, helping in the kitchen, running the office, fixing equipment, cleaning rooms, and making sure that Pirates Point runs like a well-oiled machine. These people truly love what they are doing and are among the most dedicated, service-oriented professions we've seen in 25 years of diving.

No wonder we are already eagerly anticipating our return trip in 2014!

Room Tip: Lots of guests like the air conditioned rooms, but we prefer the oceanfront rooms without AC.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We got back last weekend from our second trip to Pirate's Point. We have decided that it was the best dive trip we have ever taken. We have been diving for 12 years, and take 2-3 trips year, mostly in the Caribbean. The week was certainly helped by perfect weather, but aside from that (and see my previous review from a winter trip when the weather was not perfect) the people at Pirate's Point made this a true week in paradise. The dives were long (75 minute average) and beautiful, the food was FANTASTIC (can't understand how anyone could think negatively about it) and the rooms are clean and inviting. Hammocks abound---nice hammocks that don't drag in the sand. By good luck, all the other divers were interesting and companionable people who were fun to be around.
Pirate's Point is part of the Little Cayman's commitment to maintaining the health of the coral reef. They will ask you to be the best diver you can be so that you don't clang around on the reef. If they see you crashing your camera into the coral they are going to bring it to your attention. I wish every resort would take this stance. The guidelines and responsibilities are made clear at the beginning so there are no surprises.
In another review someone groused about having to set up one's own gear. What kind of diver are you? I confess I do take advantage when a resort sets up my gear for me but I do not mind setting it up myself; it reinforces the diving dogma that you are responsible for your own safety. In Roatan and Maui I have had people botch my gear set-up. The Pirate's Point staff will do anything special that you ask of them so if you have a legitimate reason why you can't do your own gear, they'll help.
The divemasters at PP are experienced and highly skilled. I felt totally relaxed on these dives because I knew they knew where they were taking us. In Cozumel we've entered deco diving; in Cayos Cochinos, "divemasters" had just been certified. Sheesh. I loved diving with Gay, Bob, Michele, Mike and Martha. (Bob took us on a night shore dive at the end of a long day---tons of extra work for him---we really appreciated it.)
THE FOOD IS FABULOUS. I don't eat breakfast b/c of seasickness, but the lunches and dinners were simply wonderful. They are creative and bounteous and lovely to look at. Somebody groused about getting too much chicken---that must have been what came in on the barge the week they were there. But Pirate's Point can make chicken FABULOUS. We had mahi and yahoo, steak, lobster, tuna, pork---and once, chicken. Then there is sushi night on Friday---be sure you book a Friday. There's always wine with dinner. The beer cooler is open from 1-10, as is the liquor cabinet.
We really don't know how anybody could dis the place. If you want night-clubbing, you'll be disappointed. There's diving, eating, swimming, snorkeling, and biking/scootering. Plus a visit to the iguana house; see Mike, the resident herpetologist.

Umm, below, I shouldn't have checked Room Service; there is no room service. I was thinking maid service.

Room Tip: The oceanfront cabanas are prettier and you get the ocean breeze, but they do not have A/C. We will...
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Pirates Point Resort is the perfect place if you're looking for a laid back dive vacation. My boyfriend and I and another couple spent 9 days here in February 2013. The resort is very intimate and relaxed. If you want to do a couple of long dives, each delicious meals and have all afternoon to chill, then this is the place for you!

The accomodations are well appointed and clean. There is AC available in some rooms, but we didn't use it at all during our stay. Most of the time we just left our door open and the sea breeze kept us nice and cool.

The food is AMAZING!! There was more food than I could eat at each meal, though it was soooo good I did my best! :)

The diving pretty much speaks for itself. The seas were rough the first couple of days, so we were forced to stay on the South side of the island, but as soon as they calmed down we headed north. Bloody Bay Wall is, perhaps, the most sheer wall on which I have ever been. I was a little disappointed by the lack of pelagic animals I was hoping to see, but the condition of their reef was spectacular. We did have to carry our gear to the boat each day, but it really was not that big of a deal as we left our bcds, masks and fins on the boat. They only do 2 dives a day, but there is no limit on bottom time as long as you still have air.

The owner Gladys and the staff are great; they are super helpful and friendly. I think the newest member of the staff has been there for about 5 years and the longest members have been there since the resort opened. That speaks to their love of the "work" and the resort.

If Pirate's Point is on your destination list this year, make sure to vote for "Gladys the Mermaid" in this year's "found art" contest! ;)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hainesville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am not sure what happened to cause Hunter C to provide the review that he did, but I thought others may want yet another review to provide additional perspective. My experience was excellent at Pirates Point and I will not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone that wants a great dive vacation. My wife and I have been to many places all over the world and consider ourselves foodies. My short review is this - the staff is great, the food is great and the diving is great!

On to some details. If you are looking for a 20-30 something bar scene with lots of late night action, this is not the place. If you are looking for maximum dive time, get on a livaboard. What we found at Pirates Point is a community much like you have on a livaboard since there are only 10 cottages, and everyone eats and dives together. You get to know everyone well during your stay since you spend many hours together. The guest's I met were all successful, educated and experienced travelers. This lead to great conversations at dinner and other social times. The staff is dedicated to making the resort the best they can and all pitch in to serve the guest's as well as being your dive masters. They know the reef well as they dive it every day, and then are with you to discuss the day's events after the dive is long done. Each seems to have a different thing to offer, sometimes to help you improve your diving skills, others to help your photography, and others to help you spot those illusive fish or sea life you have been trying to check off your "found" list. I was also a little skeptical about only two dives per day and considered other resorts but found that two dives was plenty. Instead of the standard 45 minute dives that the other resorts offer, mine were all 60 to 90 minutes. The dive staff divides the boat into groups and know who to put on the water first to maximize the dive time for all. My two dives per day amounted to 2:30 of bottom time on average which is the equivalent of 3 standard dives. The good part of this is that once you get back on land, you are done messing with gear for the day. The other good thing about this approach is that the schedule is more laid back - instead of starting at 7:00 AM every day, you get to ease into the day - breakfast is served from 8:00 - 9:00. When I am on vacation I really do not want to be forced to get up too early, but that is just my style, it may not be yours. I spoke with a person that stayed at another resort and he said that he and his wife only did the first two dives of the day anyway, so they were actually only getting 90 min per day of dive time.

My experience with the food was also not what Hunter C described. We had so much food that I need a diet after returning home. There is plenty there to have seconds, or more if you wish. We also did not have the same thing twice for the entire week. My wife is vegetarian but eats fish and the chef's managed to prepare several types of fish as well as vegetarian meals. She was given duplicates on Tuna, but that is because it was fresh caught and was so good that he served it to her on one occasion and to all guest's on the day it was caught. We had chicken only once, New York strip steaks, pork tenderloin, two fish nights, Mexican and Italian. Lunches and breakfasts were just as varied offering yogurt, fruit, cereals, eggs, pancakes, waffles French toast, and meats for breakfast, and salads and meat dishes for lunches. The food was not just good by island standards, it was very good by any standard. I live in Chicago and travel often for business and would put this food up against most restaurants that offer high quality meals. Since this is served from family style, it is not plated as it would be in a fancy restaurant, but the food is the same, only the presentation separates this from the high end restaurants.

I hope this helps others trying to decide whether Pirates Point is the right fit for you. Like many of the other guest's, I plan on returning in the future and would not hesitate to recommend it based on the wonderful time I had diving, socializing and dining.

Room Tip: Buildings 1,2,3,4 have air conditioning but are not oceanfront. The Oceanfront buildings have a bre...
Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Pirates Point is staffed by long term folks that work very hard to make your island experience great. The food is excellent and if you have special dietary needs, they will meet them. Meals are served at a specific time and a specific menu. It is more like being at a friends who is cooking all your meals and you come to the meal with everyone else. The bungalows are kept clean. Ours needed a bit of maintenance in the ceiling, but nothing that effected the quality of our stay. No TV and no phone in your bungalow is great. Only some of the bungalows are air conditioned. If you are heat sensitive, get one with an A/C in the spring and summer. Although there is a constant breeze, it would be tough if you are used to having A/C to sleep everynight. The A/C worked well, though they request you turn it off when not in the room. So it takes a while for it to cool down when you first get in the room. The scuba diving is excellent and the boat and dive masters are top notch. The airport is very convenient, as is frequent air service to Grand Cayman. Relaxation is the word here. Pirates Point is small and private. You can spend the day and see very few people, none if you want, because the bungalows are separated from each other by trees and space. Pirates Point is casual and definitely a small island experience. It is not the high rise hotel or condo experience, so don't expect it or the frills that go with that. Little Cayman is small and if you are not wanting to scuba dive or rest, you may want to seek a more developed island. Little Cayman is not the island for you if you want the night life scene. Shopping is very limited. The car rental is expensive, but fun, if you want to drive the appox. 20 miles around the island to see the remoteness of it or vist the few other sites on the island. An amazing amount of people return here year after year, so that is a testament to the level of service and relaxation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pirates Point Resort? Share your experiences!