“Beautiful Hotel but..........” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Seven Mile Beach
midwest
“Beautiful Hotel but..........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

After reading all of the reviews in Trip Advisor I thought that I would be writing a stellar review myself but that's not the case. From the reviews it sounded like this place was going to be a real gem. My husband and I are middle class working folks who like to splurge when we travel. I'm not a big shopper and normally only spend money on our necessities. That's why when we travel we really appreciate staying at a fine hotel.

We stayed at the Ritz Grand Cayman over the Thanksgiving holiday. November 30th was the last day of Hurrican Season and the end of the low season. I always like to book the cheapest room at a really nice property hoping to get an upgrade. Didn't get an upgrade in this case. I do all of my research on TripAdvisor and always read how everyone is always getting an upgrade but hasn't happened to me yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We had the reconnect package which includes $100 credit each day plus breakfast for 2. This is really worth it since the buffet breakfast runs about $30 per person. Would highly recommend booking the reconnect package because it sure is nice to see credits on your final bill.

First: The Ritz has two buildings. One is on the ocean side and the 2nd one is across the street. The ocean side is where the Residences are plus they also rent ocean front rooms. This is definitely the most desirable side to be on. If you can swing the cost I would recommend staying here. The design of the hotel is in favor of The Residence so if you're can't pay the higher cost to be on the ocean side be prepared to walk, and walk, and walk.

Now for the other side: We had a room on the 4th floor, room 468 garden view. There was a garden view but also a view of 2 streets that run along side of the hotel. The street was probably 200 yards away and we really didn't hear too much traffic. The room was also very lovely.

For some reason the water in our room ran luke warm at best. After a couple of cold showers, my huband complained to the front desk several times and conditions improved our last day there. Also, for some reason, our TV turned on at 3am by itself. The front desk was able to fix this problem as well.

The walk: Well, let me tell you we didn't think that the walk across the street to the beach and pool area would be that big of a deal but after a while it became quite tiresome. I forgot to bring my book down to the beach and decided against going to get it because it would have been a 15 min trek. This was the biggest disapointment of our stay. Don't get me wrong the service was great, the pool and beach were beautiful, and the staff were wonderful. We just wouldn't stay across the street again.

We checked out the Westin next door which is directly on the beach. It's an older hotel and doesn't have the same ambiance as the Ritz but I would consider it to not have to walk 1/2 mile each way.

The Restaurants: We tried several restaurants outside of the resort and had some wonderful meals. The Cracked Conch, Copper Falls, Calypso Grill and Pappagallo. Calypso Grill was awesome and it was difficult to get a reservation even during low season so you should book in advance.

I would stay at this property again but only on the ocean side. Everything on the island is very, very, very expensive so brace yourself.

• Liked — Staff, very friendly
  • Disliked — Cold water in the shower
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family

1,524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2008

Wow, whatta week!! This is really the only place on Grand Cayman where you can go away to, relax, and be completely pampered by the staff and all the amenities offered by the Ritz.

My better half and I went to the Caymans to get married, and after reading all the reviews on Tripadvisor, there was clearly only one choice on where to stay. And, after visiting the two other well rated good sized hotels on the island, we clearly made the right choice. If you are concerned about the price, do not hesitate, it is worth EVERY penny. But at the same time, if you are going to penny pinch when you get there, then go to the courtyard by marriott and walk by the Ritz everyday wondering why everyone you see looks so relaxed and happy. The Ritz is expensive, the restaurants are expensive, the drinks poolside are expensive (unless you take advantage of Bar Jacks happy hour), and the shops are expensive. You have been warned, now get over it...haha.

We arrived just after hurricane Paloma had passed, which for us, was the perfect time. The weather had cleared, and the hotel was only at 20% capacity. The first couple days there we walked around like we owned the place, and were treated as such.

The rooms look just like they do in the pictures, wow, surprising...haha. Obviously you really want to stay on the ocean side, its worth the price of admission. You get daily sunsets from your own private balcony that will knock your socks off (why are you wearing socks?? its 80 degrees all the time!!) The higher the floor the better I imagine, we got "stuck" on the PH level, also known as the 8th floor, in the middle of the hotel, room #825. The bathrooms are great with the dual vanities, the tub, the private toilet room (with its own phone of course), and people complain about the smallish stand up shower (but I didnt go to the Ritz just to shower). The room is restocked and cleaned several times a day which is great.

Because we were there for our wedding (not on property, got married at The Wharf which is close to George Town) we got the special room greeting (although they mistakenly did it on saturday night not on friday which was our wedding day, this was due to our original plan of being married on property on saturday night which we changed.) The champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Rose petals leading to the bed where there were several towel swans and a heart made from the sheets. Really nice and romantic!!! This seems like the norm for hotel, but appreciated anyways.

THINGS TO NOT FORGET TO DO:
Here are a few things we found that most will miss:

1. Visit the spa even if you aren't getting a treatment. The locker rooms were empty everytime we went to use them, and thats a shame. Pamper yourself in the spa, steam room, sauna, private showers and prep areas. Everything you need to relax and get ready for a big evening is there (and if it isn't just ask, they will get it for you), and best thing about it, its FREE. I shouldnt really say FREE, but its FREE, ok, its included in your resort fee/room rate. So use it.

2. Rent a car from the airport Avis or the Avis office in the hotel. Why would anyone want to pay $20 per person roundtrip to go just about anywhere from the hotel when you can rent a car for under $40 from the hotel. Also, they do not charge drop off fees like are common in the US. You can rent a car from the hotel and drop it off at the airport on your way off the island or vice versa. We did both, saved us a lot of cash, and it really is fun to drive on the "wrong" side of the road and explore this cute and very small island. Island drivers are very courteous when they see the white "tourist" plate on your car.

3. Go to Stingray City. There is no experience like it. Do not miss it. It doesnt matter who you pay to get there, they are all going the same place. We arranged a private boat tour with our group so we didn't use the regular boat arranged by the hotel.

4. Eat outside the Ritz. I do not have a single complaint about the food in the Ritz. The breakfast buffett was amazing (ours were included because we had a group with us, so I know we saved $69 a day). The happy hour at Bar Jack (5 beers and some chips and salsa for only $25). The truffle oil french fries with parmesean cheese from Periwinkles. But a very very short walk away is some fantastic food. We ate at Eats (great food anytime of the day - eat the fresh fish), Legends Bar (same menu as Eats but a sports bar atmosphere) and Yoshi sushi (by far the best sushi on the island and big bonus, half the price of anywhere else) which are in the same plaza just north of the Ritz. If you head south, go to Eduoardo's (italian) or Bamboo (foofey lounge atmosphere with really good asian appetizers and decent overpriced sushi) or Deckers (all you can eat lobster on tuesdays). All are within easy walking distance, so venture out, get some exercise.

5. Request that a fridge be put in your room prior to arrival and take a short walk down to Foster's Market to stock it with goodies you can enjoy during the week.

6. The bottled water left in the room multiple times a day by housekeeping is FREE. Drink it up, they will put more and more til you can't drink anymore. Most people do not seem to realize this because every other 5 star resort charges you 8 bucks a bottle ...haha ... not the Ritz

NOT PERFECT COMPLETELY THOUGH:
Now comes the "gripe" section. These are just minor things that shouldnt have happened in my mind.
1. The most important mistake was that the day my bride was getting ready for the ceremony, she had arranged for a stylist to come to the room and do her hair and make-up. Well, apparently the hotel staff has no clue where room #825 is. Since our room was located on the Penthouse floor (and no, there arent really penthouses up there, same rooms as others, just better view) the staff could not tell the stylist that the 8th floor is the "PH" button on the elevator on the ocean side. Because of this our entire schedule for our wedding day was 20 minutes delayed. This delayed the time we had for pre-wedding pictures, and rushed us to the ceremony to get it in while the sun set. To me there is no excuse for this mistake. Our stylist could not have known that the PH level was anything BUT the penthouse for the hotel. The staff should have known better.

2. Along with us we brought a group to the resort. Because of this we dealt with the group sales/wedding coordinator. Melinda was wonderful before, during, and after our trip. My minor gripe here was that just about everyone's bill was incorrect on the first try. Not sure whose "fault" it is, but accounting should have had a heads up on this, especially since the resort was no where near capacity during our stay.

Overall a great stay. Everyone you come in contact with is polite and in a great mood. Why wouldnt they be? They get to live on a beautiful island. We can't wait to get back and celebrate our anniversaries.

If anyone has any questions please feel to contact us. I'm sure I kept rabbling on, but probably left something interesting out to someone ... take care...

• Liked — Great service!! Great staff!! Great food!! And great value for the money.
  • Disliked — Too many young kids as the weekend approached. Leave the kids at home please, its our vacation too.
Kalamazoo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

We just returned from a long weekend at the Ritz. The level of service we received from the minute we arrived on the property was great. The club level was not available do to seasonal remodeling but size and condition of our room was nice. The hotel was great. We had two issues during this stay. First, our maid service was not the best and came with a little bit of an attitude. Second, the food and beverage prices were really high even for the Ritz, $75.00 us for breakfast for two and $72.00 us for four small margaritas by the pool. We found several great restaurants very close for a much better deal.

• Liked — level of service
  • Disliked — cost
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

Travel Dates Nov 2-7, 2008; 2 Adults 38 & 40 yrs old
This was our 3rd trip to GC (2003 & 1999) previous stays were at the old Hyatt, prior Ivan.
The overall Ritz experinece was great. Hotel was at about 60% capacity. The hotel is very nicely done, elegant but not over the top, It did not feel stuffy as some RC properties can feel.
Rooms: We had a room in the Ocean front Bldg Room#831, highest floor GREAT ocean view. Rooms was well done, small stand up shower was a negative. Other reviews talked about the long walks to the main bldg/lobby etc, we found it to be not that bad. Your on vacation, take it SLOW.
Food & Bev: Yes drinks are not cheap (they were also not weak in anyway), but nothing is in the Caymans. Pool bar is fine, no swim up bar. Pool service was good, not pushy but always around when you needed something. Lunch at pool is typical, nothing special and again not inexpensive.
Blue Rest. was very good, excellent service, food & wine. $$$$
Siver Palm Lounge was a great place for a pre-dinner cocktail or post dinner. We even watched the election from there that night, good sushi & tapas also.
Plenty of chairs around pool with plenty of umbrellas. Plenty of chairs on beach (with a pull up shade over on each) they are close together.
We got caught in Hurricane Polama, so we watched the hotel go into hurricane prep and what a job they did even still taking care of customers. The RC staff/mngt did everything they could to keep us updates and help to get people out before the storm. We were the last flight out on Delta before the airport closed, not a sunny vacation but an experience and a few stories to tell.

If anyone has any specific question about the RC, other resturants etc please feel free to ask.

NJ, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

As you will see when you read the reviews here, there's not a bad thing to say about the place. Beautiful hotel (clean, neat, upscale), friendly, happy associates (from the maid service to the pool staff to the door man) and impeccable attention to detail!

We arrived on November 1st (2008) for a seven night stay- two ajoining rooms for my husband, myself and our two children ages 12 and 14. Everything we requested (an empty refrigerator in the room, adjoining rooms, ocean front, high floor etc.) was there, ready and waiting. From Ely (their customer service manager) who greets you by name as you arrive, to the front desk and conceirge personnel who had my daughter selecting a movie for the room within minutes of arrival, to the bell staff who takes you upstairs and explains everything.....EVERYTHING- was perfect!

Prior to our arrival, Ely asked several times if we were there to celebrate anything special. We weren't- unfortunately, I guess as when I read all of the magnificent things they did (have done) for guests celebrating a special event, I get a little "jealous" -haha! While we didn't get the "Swan towel", rose petals on our bed, free dessert or champagne etc., we did feel that we got everything and more than we asked for.

As others have stated, we remained there for what became a Category 3 hurricane. The Ritz handled the situation with the utmost professionalism, keeping everyone appraised (and safe) during the 36+ hour ordeal. They flew in 36 of their own loss prevention specialists (specifically to handle the storm), had 6 police officers, a doctor, 3 medical personnel AND an ambulance there at the hotel should anyone need anything. They held regualr meetings to keep everyone appraised of an ever deteriorating situation (weather wise) and made everyone feel safe. The "command center" they set up with computers for all to use, flashlights, cases of water, hurricane tracking etc. was nothing less than amazing- especially in the time period they did it in. If I were ever to be in a hurricane again, I'd want to be there! On top of it all, the food they served us (for 3 days, buffet style in the ballroom) was completely free to all and was of the quality you'd expect at a top notch wedding reception buffet. And all with a hurricane pounding the island and no staff! (For FREE no less!)

Perfect all around, however, I will add one dislike- which is purely a matter of taste. As someone put it in another review, the menu at BLUE (not to mention the prices) is not for your average/traditional eater. Much, much too upscale for my taste (I had trouble finding something I would even consider eating and even then, paying $88 for a dried out pork chop was not my idea of a nice dinner). My husband, however, who is much more of a gourmet food eater had the 7 selection tasting menu which he said was incredible (disliked a few of the wines but felt they were "paired right" for those of you that enjoy that sort of thing). I wish they had offered me the "lobster and steak" from the menu from the "Seven Restaraunt" as they offered it to someone else who wrote a review here. I had a heck of a time finding a THING I would eat!

All in all, beautiful hotel (rooms, pool, beach) and everything you will read in the reviews under trip advisor (for this hotel) I found to be 100% accurate!

As far as activities- take Captain marvins half day snorkel and stingray tour ($40US per person). Well worth the money and we actually met 92 year old Captian marvin who still overseas the morning trips each day. What an incredible islander to meet!

• Liked — Oceanview room, high floor, center of hotel!
  • Disliked — Could be a little more "tropical" in it's decor and atmoshpere without losing that "Rtiz feel"!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

Another Ritz meets their standards and way beyond!

Upon arriving at the Cayman Islands, I got a bit worried as pretty much the city looked old and dirty. Once we arrived at The Ritz, I was relieved. The taxi ride to the hotel from the airport was about $40. The hotel entrance was very nice. Palm trees, great landscape. As soon as we walked in the lobby we were greeted with cookies and water. Just like all the Ritz we have stayed at. The room was pretty far from the lobby as you have to walk across the street via a over-walkway. The ony time we would come back to the lobby was to get a taxi which wasn't very often as the food was so great at the hotel and we didn't want to leave the beach!!

The room was very nice, clean and roomy. The ONLY thing I did not like was that our room was in a corner, ocean front on the 3rd floor. Ask for a higher level room (anything above the 4th floor) and more towards the middle of the resort.

We did not rent a car. If we needed to go somewhere we would get a taxi. About $20 each way.

We went at the end of Septemeber and you could say we owned the beach. Only about 10 other couples there. It was great!!!!

Food: soooo good. we would eat breakfast at the daily buffet (pricey), at lunch we would order right from our lounge chairs. The servers were very friendly and attentive. Every hour they would come by with clean, cold towels for your face, fresh fruit and small drinks.

Water mats, snorkling equipment all provided with your stay.

Although very pricey, you definetly get what you pay for. We will be back!

• Liked — Pure luxury
  • Disliked — Location of room - 4th floor or higher! Middle of resort
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for our honeymoon and had the time of our lives. We have promised each other that we are going to do it again in the near future. As soon as we enter to check-in, they asked what our reason for staying at the Ritz. Once they found out we were staying for our honeymoon, they brought out a rose to give to my wife. The person behind the desk personally walked us to our room. On the way there, they explained everything that the Ritz-Carlton offers. At dinner, we asked not to have dessert, but once they looked us our name in their computer and found out we were on our honeymoon, they brought over a chocolate cake with raspberry drizzle spelling out "Happy Honeymoon." The grounds were magnificent and the beach was always clean. There were always a lounge chair available on the beach. We both highly suggest this hotel to anyone on their honeymoon or on a vacation!

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — Location-Too far from the City
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!