“50th Birthday Celebration” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
“50th Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Beautiful property & outstanding service. Would recommend & definitely go back!
We enjoyed the pool, beach, recreational activities & loved the beautiful water!! Restaurants were also good. Entertainment in bar was fun! The Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman is an exceptional resort & highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was my second time staying at the Ritz-Grand Cayman. It still is simply a wonderful hotel. We stayed on the concierge floor which I highly recommend as there are food presentations throughout the day. As I am usually up first, its nice to not have the wait for the family for breakfast. I walked down to the club lounge and enjoyed their spread with everything from muffins to lox to frittata.
The pool is quite large and never got crowded during my stay. The beach is of course what most people come for and there are wonderful lounge chairs laid out with adjustable sun shades. These chairs were much higher quality than the westin down the beach.
Staff went out of their way to greet us and assist at every turn. My wife got prompt service around the pool with drinks and food. The concierge made several reservations for us for dinner and fishing.
We did not eat at any restaurants at the hotel but did have some wonderful samplings from each at the club lounge. I rented a car from Andy's and as I used it every day, I would recommend doing so. While there are several restaurants within walking distance(Edoardo's was great), many others such as Cracked Conch or La Dolce Vita where we watched some great sunsets are a drive.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

If you come to Grand Cayman, this is the hot spot. It is worth the extra money because the beach is the nicest (must be combed regularly) and there is pool and beach service. The other hotels are pretty nice (particularly the Caribbean Club), but the pool there is subpar and the vibe is not very lively. Do not consider any place else if you are coming to this beautiful island...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman is incredible. Everyone we met was so nice and accommodating from the bell hops to the general manager. During our stay we were invited to a manager's reception where we enjoyed wine & met several of the staff at the hotel. Each person seemed happy to be there (who wouldn't!) and it showed in their pleasant attitudes.

We stayed on the concierge floor and had a wonderful ocean view. I debated about resort vs. ocean view & having seen both I would definitely say try for the ocean side. The concierge floor was absolutely worth it. We were personally greeted by Abdul &/or Collin each morning asking if there was anything they could do for us. They were happy to make reservations, print out boarding passes, etc. There were several food servings each day and unlimited beverages. Our favorite food presentation was breakfast. I loved the bagels and lox while my husband said the oatmeal (with toppings) was the best he has ever had. There was also a hot egg dish (eggs benedict, frittata....) bacon, sausage, potatoes, fruit and pastries (the chocolate croissants were yummy). Lunch had a few choices usually a hot soup, a couple of sandwiches to choose from (chicken salad, salmon, tuna, mozzarella....), salads (lettuce et al, cous cous, potato...), dips (guacamole, onion, eggplant) and a few other choices. Every afternoon there were delicious macaroons and cookies. At night there were heavy hors d'ourves from one of the in-house restaurants. And finally a dessert spread at night. I would say you could eat all your meals here except dinner. Although if you go here before a dinner reservation, you would certainly order less at the restaurant. We loved being able to walk in the concierge floor, immediately get food, find a quiet table and have a little while to chill. It was a very relaxing atmosphere. We loved their cappuccino/espresso machine. It was simple to use and put out excellent beverages. I priced one when I got home but 8k is a bit much for our personal use! A special shout out to Abdul & Collin they were so friendly and kind. They really made us feel very welcomed. One morning neither guy was working and you could feel the difference in the club - it felt impersonal. They are true gems.

Our room was nice. I was glad to hear they were completely switching out the bedding, carpet, etc. It is time. I'm not sure how I will like the new modern feel vs. beachy. I'm of the mind if you are at the beach it's nice to have ceiling fans, bright walls, and beachy decor. I was told they are going to a more grey color scheme with an Asian feel. Hmmmm.

The location of the hotel is super. You are right on 7 mile beach which in our opinion is where you want to be. We saw the beach at other locations on the island and none were as nice as 7 mile. The hotel has swim hammocks, floating beds and tables & chairs in the water right in front of the property. It's key to get to chairs early in the morning if you want to be in the front by the water. Down the beach to the right is "Governor's Reef" which is a great snorkeling spot. Also the 2 stops on Captain Marvin's sting ray tour (highly recommend) are great for seeing fish. The resort fee includes free wi fi and the use of sailboats, paddle boards, kayaks, a water trike and snorkeling equipment. We passed a place down the beach & they were charging $40 per hour for 1 paddle board. At the Ritz, the entire family can use all the equipment all day for $50. It's a good thing.

The food is expensive on the island. We brought nutra grain bars, etc. which I would suggest. Chicken Chicken was a good inexpensive (relatively) find. We splurged on a few restaurants - we would suggest Michael's Genuine and Ortanique. We were not fond of Edourdo's. Our kids loved Bar Jack's for the fish tacos. I was a fan of the pina coladas.

We did the Caybrew tour - would not recommend. It's very hot & pretty boring. Our 18 yr. old son liked it because he was legal to drink & they gave free samples. As I said before Capt. Marvin's sting ray tour was excellent as was the Sweet Spot's bioluminescence tour.

The island feels very safe and the people are extremely friendly. The water at 7 mile beach is the most beautiful water I have ever seen including Fiji, Australia and Hawaii. We also liked the ease of getting to Grand Cayman. We had a direct 2 hr. 45 min. flight from Charlotte, NC. We all said we would definitely go back & the Ritz would be our first choice as a place to stay. Have a great time!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is an incredible property, multiple pools, pool side and beach side service. Only problem is that most rooms are a fair distance away from the beach. Service is exceptional, food is good. The restaurant Blue is the best on the island.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the west side of the property, as they are much closer to the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My parents recently celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary at Seven Sunday Brunch. The food was wonderful, the staff were very friendly and professional and were always checking that we were having the best day possible. They treated my parents so well on their very special day. The table was decorated beautifully with more "golden" garnishes you could imagine. My thanks to all the staff at Seven for making my parents very special day more than special - especially to Erika the Manager who brought it all together in a wonderful and caring way.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We made reservations here wanting a resort experience in the Caymans. There are a lot of really good options to rent a condominium or the like that provide ample room and confortable accommodations, but no hotel service. So we swallowed hard and signed up for the residential suites on the beach side of the hotel. The furniture on the website looked a little outdated and unwelcoming, but overall it looked like the best option.

Prior to our arrival I corresponded quite a few times with Leroy, who was helping us out with reservations on spa, golf, cabanas etc.... I found him to be very responsive and helpful. Upon arrival, I found that he helped make what was an overall great experience. My family of four (2 kids, 13 and 10) my witfe and I were traveling with my brother's family. Arranging activities for the whole party was no small task, but Leroy did it very well. Our kids loved him, just a great guy.

The Room- Once at the hotel we found the room to be much more welcoming than it looked online. Great kitchen, nice bedrooms and overall ok bathrooms (nothing special here, which we usually care about, but turned out to be just fine). The kids shared a room which was very nice and adjoined to our suite. We settled in nicely and never had an issue with confort or appointments over our 6 day stay. The snacks and drinks are not as expensive as I was expecting, and the availalble wine was overall pretty well selected.

Beach - We spent three full days on the beach. We reserved the Oasis cabanas for each family two of the days, which I highly recommend for the overall beach experience. Water is great. Very calm. Fun to snorkel and watch the occassional fish. The water tables and water daybeds were a hits with the kids. Overall service was ok. I would recommend that they get some type of notification service for the rented cabanas so you can signal when something is needed. One gripe is the Oasis cabanas can get a little uncomfortable during the late afternoon sun. They should make another curtain (have them on each side) available to roll down during this period. Don't get me wrond, overall experience was great. Great drinks. I had a fantastic Carribean burger in the cabana with a beer. Now that's living!!!

Restaurants - Overall very enjoyable. The fare at bar jack is better than some have commented. Fresh fish tacos (always got them grilled not fried) good burgers, etc..... Flies can be a problem when the wind is down. Wish they had more of a beer selection.
Perriwinkle is good, reminded me of some of the medium to high range restaurants at Disney World. Good family place and the huge screen they show evenings movies on was fun for the kids. Seven, first the breakfast buffet was good. Nice option to have. For dinner I still can't believe how good the steaks were. I have eaten steaks everywhere, and these definitely rank up there. Seafood was really good as well. That brings me to the wine. Steep prices but you can definitely find some great stuff. We indulged in some fine french reds, Peter Michael reds and whites along with others. It is served at the proper temperature and had no signs of heat damage that is so common in these types of locales.
Blue - Well it was kind of a blur for me, the 4 adults went and enjoyed the wine / food tasting menu. Very nice, just need to remember that 2 margaritas are not a necessary warm up for that experience!!!!

Golf - If you are an average hack, and have an enthusiasm for golf of 5 on a scale from one to ten, you might rethink. Nice course, just the combination of wind and tight fairways will have you exporing the depths of your PG-13 vocabulary. The greens were just top dressed so putting was not easy, but overall the service was very nice. My brother is an enthusiast with a single digit handicap and really appreciated the experience. So if you are a good golfer, or traveling with one, you might consider 9 or 18 (nine holes twice)

Spa - I am not much of an expert, but my massage was nice. Whirlpool facilities not available when I was there. My wife thought the spa was great. Lots of options, kind of spendy, but the attendants were very helpful and welcoming.

Finally, overall experience. I will say again that Leroy is a great human (:)) and made our stay one of our more memorable experiences we have had traveling. Not too fussy at all, and everything was geared towards creating a very relaxing environment.

Room Tip: Beach side will be a priority for us on our next stay. We really appreciated how simple staying on...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!