“Absolutely Loved It!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
North Carolina
“Absolutely Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman is incredible. Everyone we met was so nice and accommodating from the bell hops to the general manager. During our stay we were invited to a manager's reception where we enjoyed wine & met several of the staff at the hotel. Each person seemed happy to be there (who wouldn't!) and it showed in their pleasant attitudes.

We stayed on the concierge floor and had a wonderful ocean view. I debated about resort vs. ocean view & having seen both I would definitely say try for the ocean side. The concierge floor was absolutely worth it. We were personally greeted by Abdul &/or Collin each morning asking if there was anything they could do for us. They were happy to make reservations, print out boarding passes, etc. There were several food servings each day and unlimited beverages. Our favorite food presentation was breakfast. I loved the bagels and lox while my husband said the oatmeal (with toppings) was the best he has ever had. There was also a hot egg dish (eggs benedict, frittata....) bacon, sausage, potatoes, fruit and pastries (the chocolate croissants were yummy). Lunch had a few choices usually a hot soup, a couple of sandwiches to choose from (chicken salad, salmon, tuna, mozzarella....), salads (lettuce et al, cous cous, potato...), dips (guacamole, onion, eggplant) and a few other choices. Every afternoon there were delicious macaroons and cookies. At night there were heavy hors d'ourves from one of the in-house restaurants. And finally a dessert spread at night. I would say you could eat all your meals here except dinner. Although if you go here before a dinner reservation, you would certainly order less at the restaurant. We loved being able to walk in the concierge floor, immediately get food, find a quiet table and have a little while to chill. It was a very relaxing atmosphere. We loved their cappuccino/espresso machine. It was simple to use and put out excellent beverages. I priced one when I got home but 8k is a bit much for our personal use! A special shout out to Abdul & Collin they were so friendly and kind. They really made us feel very welcomed. One morning neither guy was working and you could feel the difference in the club - it felt impersonal. They are true gems.

Our room was nice. I was glad to hear they were completely switching out the bedding, carpet, etc. It is time. I'm not sure how I will like the new modern feel vs. beachy. I'm of the mind if you are at the beach it's nice to have ceiling fans, bright walls, and beachy decor. I was told they are going to a more grey color scheme with an Asian feel. Hmmmm.

The location of the hotel is super. You are right on 7 mile beach which in our opinion is where you want to be. We saw the beach at other locations on the island and none were as nice as 7 mile. The hotel has swim hammocks, floating beds and tables & chairs in the water right in front of the property. It's key to get to chairs early in the morning if you want to be in the front by the water. Down the beach to the right is "Governor's Reef" which is a great snorkeling spot. Also the 2 stops on Captain Marvin's sting ray tour (highly recommend) are great for seeing fish. The resort fee includes free wi fi and the use of sailboats, paddle boards, kayaks, a water trike and snorkeling equipment. We passed a place down the beach & they were charging $40 per hour for 1 paddle board. At the Ritz, the entire family can use all the equipment all day for $50. It's a good thing.

The food is expensive on the island. We brought nutra grain bars, etc. which I would suggest. Chicken Chicken was a good inexpensive (relatively) find. We splurged on a few restaurants - we would suggest Michael's Genuine and Ortanique. We were not fond of Edourdo's. Our kids loved Bar Jack's for the fish tacos. I was a fan of the pina coladas.

We did the Caybrew tour - would not recommend. It's very hot & pretty boring. Our 18 yr. old son liked it because he was legal to drink & they gave free samples. As I said before Capt. Marvin's sting ray tour was excellent as was the Sweet Spot's bioluminescence tour.

The island feels very safe and the people are extremely friendly. The water at 7 mile beach is the most beautiful water I have ever seen including Fiji, Australia and Hawaii. We also liked the ease of getting to Grand Cayman. We had a direct 2 hr. 45 min. flight from Charlotte, NC. We all said we would definitely go back & the Ritz would be our first choice as a place to stay. Have a great time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is an incredible property, multiple pools, pool side and beach side service. Only problem is that most rooms are a fair distance away from the beach. Service is exceptional, food is good. The restaurant Blue is the best on the island.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the west side of the property, as they are much closer to the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My parents recently celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary at Seven Sunday Brunch. The food was wonderful, the staff were very friendly and professional and were always checking that we were having the best day possible. They treated my parents so well on their very special day. The table was decorated beautifully with more "golden" garnishes you could imagine. My thanks to all the staff at Seven for making my parents very special day more than special - especially to Erika the Manager who brought it all together in a wonderful and caring way.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We made reservations here wanting a resort experience in the Caymans. There are a lot of really good options to rent a condominium or the like that provide ample room and confortable accommodations, but no hotel service. So we swallowed hard and signed up for the residential suites on the beach side of the hotel. The furniture on the website looked a little outdated and unwelcoming, but overall it looked like the best option.

Prior to our arrival I corresponded quite a few times with Leroy, who was helping us out with reservations on spa, golf, cabanas etc.... I found him to be very responsive and helpful. Upon arrival, I found that he helped make what was an overall great experience. My family of four (2 kids, 13 and 10) my witfe and I were traveling with my brother's family. Arranging activities for the whole party was no small task, but Leroy did it very well. Our kids loved him, just a great guy.

The Room- Once at the hotel we found the room to be much more welcoming than it looked online. Great kitchen, nice bedrooms and overall ok bathrooms (nothing special here, which we usually care about, but turned out to be just fine). The kids shared a room which was very nice and adjoined to our suite. We settled in nicely and never had an issue with confort or appointments over our 6 day stay. The snacks and drinks are not as expensive as I was expecting, and the availalble wine was overall pretty well selected.

Beach - We spent three full days on the beach. We reserved the Oasis cabanas for each family two of the days, which I highly recommend for the overall beach experience. Water is great. Very calm. Fun to snorkel and watch the occassional fish. The water tables and water daybeds were a hits with the kids. Overall service was ok. I would recommend that they get some type of notification service for the rented cabanas so you can signal when something is needed. One gripe is the Oasis cabanas can get a little uncomfortable during the late afternoon sun. They should make another curtain (have them on each side) available to roll down during this period. Don't get me wrond, overall experience was great. Great drinks. I had a fantastic Carribean burger in the cabana with a beer. Now that's living!!!

Restaurants - Overall very enjoyable. The fare at bar jack is better than some have commented. Fresh fish tacos (always got them grilled not fried) good burgers, etc..... Flies can be a problem when the wind is down. Wish they had more of a beer selection.
Perriwinkle is good, reminded me of some of the medium to high range restaurants at Disney World. Good family place and the huge screen they show evenings movies on was fun for the kids. Seven, first the breakfast buffet was good. Nice option to have. For dinner I still can't believe how good the steaks were. I have eaten steaks everywhere, and these definitely rank up there. Seafood was really good as well. That brings me to the wine. Steep prices but you can definitely find some great stuff. We indulged in some fine french reds, Peter Michael reds and whites along with others. It is served at the proper temperature and had no signs of heat damage that is so common in these types of locales.
Blue - Well it was kind of a blur for me, the 4 adults went and enjoyed the wine / food tasting menu. Very nice, just need to remember that 2 margaritas are not a necessary warm up for that experience!!!!

Golf - If you are an average hack, and have an enthusiasm for golf of 5 on a scale from one to ten, you might rethink. Nice course, just the combination of wind and tight fairways will have you exporing the depths of your PG-13 vocabulary. The greens were just top dressed so putting was not easy, but overall the service was very nice. My brother is an enthusiast with a single digit handicap and really appreciated the experience. So if you are a good golfer, or traveling with one, you might consider 9 or 18 (nine holes twice)

Spa - I am not much of an expert, but my massage was nice. Whirlpool facilities not available when I was there. My wife thought the spa was great. Lots of options, kind of spendy, but the attendants were very helpful and welcoming.

Finally, overall experience. I will say again that Leroy is a great human (:)) and made our stay one of our more memorable experiences we have had traveling. Not too fussy at all, and everything was geared towards creating a very relaxing environment.

Room Tip: Beach side will be a priority for us on our next stay. We really appreciated how simple staying on...
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

It had been a great week in Grand Cayman and we were on our last day. We could not enjoy the beach anymore since it was raining the whole day so we decided to treat ourselves to a massage -- and what a treat it was! From the moment we drove in (we were staying at a condo in Rum Point), we were welcomed by the valet who walked us all the way down to the Spa (aside from parking your car). The staff are very friendly and the place is pristine. Before your massage, they take you to a place where you can have some snacks and fresh fruit juices. Curtains are drawn so your place is private with lush sofas that just makes you calm and relaxed. They also make you choose the music you want for your massage. I had the swedish massage and though it was not the best I ever had, it was still great!
After the massage, they take you back to the room and they serve you glass of champagne and you can just chill as long as you want. We then went back to the sauna then a dip in jacuzzi. They had all the amenities for a shower, which was great since our massage was unplanned, we did not have toiletries with us.
It was the best way to end a great vacation!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Arrived yesterday. Staff seems excelent. Boris (Bar Jack waiter pool side) was EXCEPTIONAL. All staff have been warm & friendly. The room is very comfortable, clean & well equipped. Staying in the beach tower. Love the view. If the rest of the vacation is as nice as the first 24hrs, it will be so hard to leave :) Updates to come. Thanks to previous posters as this helped me in deciding where to go.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This review is hard to write. I stayed here as part of a larger IBM event. The vast majority of the guests on property were IBMers and we were waited on hand and foot (literally). I don’t think it’s fair to think that the service or hotel was any different than it normally would (this IS the Ritz Carlton), but I can say that my overall experience was beyond typical. Instead, I’ll focus on the quality of the staff, facilities, and food.

Staff
This is what makes Ritz Carlton so great. I consistently find better service at their hotels than anywhere else. This property is no different. Here are a few examples: at 6a I was wondering around looking for the hotel gym. A staff member saw me, asked if I needed help, then walked me to the gym. He even gave me a few tips on how to get there quickly (I was staying on the beach side of the resort, while the gym and spa is located on the “resort” side…more on that later). He even offered to get a bottle of water for me on our way so I’d have it the moment I started working out. That’s service. Checking in was equally pleasant. They had plenty of staff ready to handle the influx of people (a hotel shuttle picked us up at the airport and the shuttle was full). Checking in was quick, and they even offered me a refreshing beverage during the process. The housekeeping staff was equally pleasant and attentive. The thing that really stood out to me was how nice everyone was. Smiles, “hello, how are you today?” and opened doors at every corner. The smiles and friendliness didn’t feel forced (even if that wasn’t the case). These guys know how to make you feel comfortable.

Facilities
This place is HUGE and it’s right on the water. In fact, the resort is on both sides of the street. Each side is connected by a large indoor bridge that doubles as a walk-through art gallery. The art is local and spans several genres and styles. It’s wonderful to look at and you can buy anything you see. I didn’t find the size of the resort menacing or unmanageable. I stayed on the “beach” side and had views of the ocean. No, I had amazing views of the ocean. The pool sits just in front of the ocean, so I don’t know why anyone would use it (although plenty did). The sand and water are both amazing. I live in Orange County, CA so beaches are no big deal to me, but this beach was better than anything Laguna has to offer. The sad is like walking on sugar. It’s soft, not hot, and pure. The water was a wonderful temperature (I was there end of May / beginning of June). It’s also way cleaner than US beaches. The resort also has plenty of toys to make the ocean more fun. Floating chairs and tables, ocean kayaks, sail boats, water tricycles, jet skis, snorkeling equipment, etc. It was great. Since IBM was hosting a large function, we also had special tents and facilities set up on the beach and around the resort. Although those were quite amazing (and air conditioned), that isn’t normal so I won’t review those here.

As for the room, it was nice. Good size, good amenities, comfortable bed and pillows, etc. It’s what you’d expect from a Ritz Carlton, so I don’t really feel the need to go into many details here.

The spa and gym are what you expect from a Ritz. Top-notch. The facilities were great. The gym is FULLY stocked. I lift weights (heavy weights) and this was the first hotel gym that could give me an adequate workout while I’m on vacation. What made this the best (I previously thought THEhotel at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas was the best hotel gym) is the combination of the dance studio / aerobics room, cardio machines, and full set of free weights, benches, and weight machines. I could do my normal workout that uses all 3. That’s a first. I did weights, cardio, and then plyometrics in the dance studio. After my workout, I relaxed in the spa facilities. While the general facilities seemed a little small, they did have a large hot Jacuzzi, wet steam room, and dry sauna. I skipped the massage this time around. The shower facilities are fully stocked and well appointed.

We ate all but 1 meal at the resort. All of it was catered (we didn’t eat at the restaurant), but it did represent the quality of the food they prepare. And wow, let me tell you, if their mass-produced, catered food was that good, I can’t imagine how good their sit-down restaurant is. The food was amazing. AMAZING. Local flavors, expertly prepared, and great variety. We did eat off-property one night (we ate at the Cracked Conch and it was also very good), but I was very impressed with the quality of their catering staff (and I’m not easily impressed with food). When I go back, I will eat at the hotel restaurant and I’m sure I will love it.

There are plenty of options in this part of Grand Cayman. The Ritz Carlton is styled to fit in, but its service, amenities, and staff are head and shoulders above the rest. It’s worth the extra money. Stay here.

Room Tip: Stay on the "beach side" of the property with views of the pool and ocean.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!