We made reservations here wanting a resort experience in the Caymans. There are a lot of really good options to rent a condominium or the like that provide ample room and confortable accommodations, but no hotel service. So we swallowed hard and signed up for the residential suites on the beach side of the hotel. The furniture on the website looked a little outdated and unwelcoming, but overall it looked like the best option.
Prior to our arrival I corresponded quite a few times with Leroy, who was helping us out with reservations on spa, golf, cabanas etc.... I found him to be very responsive and helpful. Upon arrival, I found that he helped make what was an overall great experience. My family of four (2 kids, 13 and 10) my witfe and I were traveling with my brother's family. Arranging activities for the whole party was no small task, but Leroy did it very well. Our kids loved him, just a great guy.
The Room- Once at the hotel we found the room to be much more welcoming than it looked online. Great kitchen, nice bedrooms and overall ok bathrooms (nothing special here, which we usually care about, but turned out to be just fine). The kids shared a room which was very nice and adjoined to our suite. We settled in nicely and never had an issue with confort or appointments over our 6 day stay. The snacks and drinks are not as expensive as I was expecting, and the availalble wine was overall pretty well selected.
Beach - We spent three full days on the beach. We reserved the Oasis cabanas for each family two of the days, which I highly recommend for the overall beach experience. Water is great. Very calm. Fun to snorkel and watch the occassional fish. The water tables and water daybeds were a hits with the kids. Overall service was ok. I would recommend that they get some type of notification service for the rented cabanas so you can signal when something is needed. One gripe is the Oasis cabanas can get a little uncomfortable during the late afternoon sun. They should make another curtain (have them on each side) available to roll down during this period. Don't get me wrond, overall experience was great. Great drinks. I had a fantastic Carribean burger in the cabana with a beer. Now that's living!!!
Restaurants - Overall very enjoyable. The fare at bar jack is better than some have commented. Fresh fish tacos (always got them grilled not fried) good burgers, etc..... Flies can be a problem when the wind is down. Wish they had more of a beer selection.
Perriwinkle is good, reminded me of some of the medium to high range restaurants at Disney World. Good family place and the huge screen they show evenings movies on was fun for the kids. Seven, first the breakfast buffet was good. Nice option to have. For dinner I still can't believe how good the steaks were. I have eaten steaks everywhere, and these definitely rank up there. Seafood was really good as well. That brings me to the wine. Steep prices but you can definitely find some great stuff. We indulged in some fine french reds, Peter Michael reds and whites along with others. It is served at the proper temperature and had no signs of heat damage that is so common in these types of locales.
Blue - Well it was kind of a blur for me, the 4 adults went and enjoyed the wine / food tasting menu. Very nice, just need to remember that 2 margaritas are not a necessary warm up for that experience!!!!
Golf - If you are an average hack, and have an enthusiasm for golf of 5 on a scale from one to ten, you might rethink. Nice course, just the combination of wind and tight fairways will have you exporing the depths of your PG-13 vocabulary. The greens were just top dressed so putting was not easy, but overall the service was very nice. My brother is an enthusiast with a single digit handicap and really appreciated the experience. So if you are a good golfer, or traveling with one, you might consider 9 or 18 (nine holes twice)
Spa - I am not much of an expert, but my massage was nice. Whirlpool facilities not available when I was there. My wife thought the spa was great. Lots of options, kind of spendy, but the attendants were very helpful and welcoming.
Finally, overall experience. I will say again that Leroy is a great human (:)) and made our stay one of our more memorable experiences we have had traveling. Not too fussy at all, and everything was geared towards creating a very relaxing environment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman, a luxury resort where sparkling blue waters blend seamlessly with the sand and sky to create your perfect Caribbean oasis. Located on an archipelago of three picturesque islands, our Cayman Islands resort offers a breathtaking location unlike anywhere else on earth. From the white sands of Seven Mile Beach to world-renowned restaurants including Blue, by renowned seafood chef Eric Ripert, The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman luxury resort offers guests an unforgettable escape from the everyday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Amex, Marriott, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Hotel.de, Priceline, Agoda, Venere, Orbitz, Low Cost Holidays, Otel, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman Hotel Seven Mile Beach
- Grand Cayman Ritz Carlton
- Ritz Seven Mile Beach
- Seven Mile Beach Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman Cayman Islands