“Number One Hotel in Cayman!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
World
“Number One Hotel in Cayman!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I will try to be concise in this review as there are way too many positive things to say. First, this should easily be #1, only reason it isn't is because of stats ( number of reviews for #1-which is really a lovely CONDO bldg,VERY important difference ). There are rooms on beachside, with amazing views. Hotel on other side of road, not far, no ocean view but lovely ). I've Stayed both sides, prefer Oceanside. If you want to go all out, there is a center two bedroom suite, dining room, kitchen, living room, 2 1/2 baths. Staff will grocery shop for you! That stay was a special occasion and I will say the regular, non beach rooms are beautifully appointed. I would highly recommend upgrading to " club level" breakfasts , lunches and munchies and drinks pay for the upgrade 20x over cost! Also, pay extra for private boat, leave as early as possible for tour, stingray city, other parts of island etc We were lucky enough to reach stingray city before ANYONE. Also, never book any boat trip on days that cruises come in-way too crowded. Spa is world class , excellent restaurants, top conceirge service. If you are traveling with family and want a long stay, consider the Ritz Condos which are beachside for the most part. 24 hour room service, car service, private dining options, amenities galore including Jaques Cousteau Ritz Kids Program-this is number 1 hotel by far in all Cayman! ( I've stayed at 6 other places, been back only to this one, year after year).

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I'll start off by saying that I have stayed in hotels all over the world and the quality of service that my fiance and I received at the Ritz GC was beyond what I have experienced previously. We stayed 10 nights at the beginning of May.

The day before we were due to arrive I received a phone call from the Ritz asking if I had any queries or requests. After getting over the shock of a hotel calling ahead to ask and confirm with me (rather than the other way around {insert the Waldorf Astoria NYC}) I said there was nothing as I had been to the island a number of times previously. I was also asked if there was a special occasion, which it was, and we said goodday.

Upon Check-in the next day the front door staff, including Pepe, was very pleasant and helpful. We were upgraded to a suite in the private residence tower on the north side on seven mile and escorted to our room by the lady that had called the previous day. All-in-all it was a very smooth and enjoyable check-in experience. Our bags were delivered very quickly to the room although we saw many people in large groups check-in throughout our stay. With a larger number of bags to move and process I can imagine you could wait some time for your bags.

We found the concierge in the north tower and main lobby to be extremely helpful and willing to help even if we didn't ask for it. One evening the power went out so we decided to get out to a liquor store to get some wine. Unfortunately the liquor store on the island close at 7pm for the most part so the concierge called Jorge to come over and drive us to Treasure Island as they had a store that was still open. Again, we were capable of getting a bus or taxi but they insisted (without charge) on driving us. From booking/cancelling reservations at restaurants, to getting general advice, to just sitting and having a chat, they were wonderful.

One thing I would note is that the prices at the Ritz are extraordinarily high. Case and Point: a coffee mug in the Cupboard at the Ritz cost about 25% more than the same mug at the Redsail store in the Westin, just 2 doors up the beach. This is a general trend throughout the hotel. Where some things are 'worth it', others just are not - plain and simple. Fosters is about a 5 minute walk and is great for getting snacks or even a salad bar lunch to take to the pool or beach. The Sunshine Grille has great fish tacos, and is a couple of minutes walk. Eats was OK, nothing special. Eduardos is an Italian about 5 mins walk south and was decent. If you have a wheat and gluten allergy then you will find most places are very accommodating.

The fitness centre would rival a small public gym. It is very well equiped and tends to be busy after it opens at 8am and slower late afternoon until the 5pm yoga class. Also, if you plan on running in the morning then take advantage of the towels and water at the front door (until 10am).

I read many complaints about the 'long walk' across the bridge if you are on the east side of the resort. Well, I walked across the bridge every morning to get coffee and it is not a chore.

If you plan on snorkelling take a walk up past the Westin to Governors Beach and head about 100-200m out for some better sealife. Cemetary reef is also a good place to float around.

All-in-all this was a very good experience. I was aware of the costs going in so it was no surprise but if you are not planning ahead or aware of such things as the $50/day resort fee then you might get a shock.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Overall the island is very expensive but this property is well worth your money. Beware that the majority of the rooms are not on the beach side but they have a nice walkway to the beach side. I was very impressed with the service of the staff and the food was good quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the beach side if possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Beaconsfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I've stayed at 17 Ritz Carltons and this is the best yet. My wife, son and I had a Blue Tip Suite with Club Access and a view over the lagoon and golf course at one end of the hotel. The club floor staff were superb - very friendly, tried hard and couldn't do enough to be helpful. One of the best club floors I've been on with an airy, light feel commensurate with the location rather than the more clubby feel of most Ritzs.

The property is large with several restaurants catering for different tastes and degrees of formality. My least favourite was the casual Italian, which lacked atmosphere although the food was good. My favourite was Blue where we ate twice. The Ripert tasting menu we had the first night was as good as the Ripert tasting menu at Le Bernadin in New York, where we'd eaten two nights earlier, although the paired wines were not as pleasing. The Blue tasting menu we had on our other visit was not as impressive.

Service throughout the resort was consistently good. The property is well maintained, large and spacious. The beach is superb and you can snorkel off it - complimentary snorkels and various non-powered watercraft are provided by the hotel. We did paddle boarding, kayaking and tried a water tricycle (lots of pedalling, not much speed).

There is an Avis desk on site where Jeep Wranglers can be hired on the spot for pick up at the front door within a few minutes. We took a drive rigth round the island which can easily be managed in a day. There's not a lot to see other than a turtle farm but the drive is scenic and gives a flavour of the wider island. Roads are in a better state than those in Britain.

A boat trip out to Stingray City is a must. You get to wade around in waist deep water, hugging huge stingrays and feeding them bits of squid.

My only complaint is that when I asked if I could hire a Cabana one morning I was told they were all already booked, yet by the time we left the beach at 3.00 pm most of them were still unoccupied.

All in all a fantastic hotel; as close to perfection as you'll find in a beach resort.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The staff was amazing. The concierge was incredibly responsible to requests. We were upgraded upon check-in. Quiet for the most part, but the walls were kind of thin. If you get an ocean-view room, request a higher floor (higher than 3) to be above the palm trees. Cleaning staff did amazing things with towels and rose petals for a special occasion.

The beach staff was nice, but the service was slow and quite pricey. The food on the beach was good. The rum runner was out of this world; the pina colada was not good.

Blue by Eric Ripert was over the top. There were two waiters per table and synchronized plate placement. Most of the meal was really delicious. The fettuccine was not good. The pasta was stuck together. Be prepared to spend a lot of money here, but it is very romantic.

Finally, general observations: those with kids were taken care of very well: free swimmie diapers, free toys on the beach, staff catered to the children. Make sure to get to the beach early to reserve front row chairs. If you want a cabana, I heard it was $275 per day. Lastly, overall five diamond reputation is well-deserved. Incredible views and the water is other worldly... more clear and just as placid as the pool. Toys for adults in the sea were a great touch.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Ritz never failed on our one week vacation in during April. We came with our children (ages 13 & 10) to Grand Cayman for the first time. Upon check-in, we were given an upgrade (due to loyalty status) and brought to the ocean side of the hotel (highly recommended). Guest service went out of their way or when there was a little fumble they made it up to us to ensure our happiness during our stay. We felt pampered and genuinely treated. We have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and if I were to comment on areas of improvement it would be that the watersports could stay open later than 5:30. This is also a hotel that incorporates a lot of corporate retreats and I think it is wiser to schedule them not during Feb or April school vacations. There were times when the business travelers were complaining of kids running around and the family travelers were complaining that the business travelers would take up rows and rows on the beach by putting a hotel magazine on their beach chair to hold it so they can all be together. The food at the Ritz was delicious and we ventured out (walking distance) to other restaurants but didn't get excited by much...especially for the money you spent. We chose to eat at Barjack for lunches or Sunshine Grill and at Periwinkles for dinner. We did make use of going to Foster's (big market nearby) and stocking up on snacks and extra breakfast items. We had a few breakfasts at Seven...beautiful setting but pricy! The kids did an underwater photography class with Ambassador's of the Environment and they really enjoyed themselves. My husband did a scuba dive to the Kittywake which he thought was worth seeing and we all did a eco -tour around the island which included a trip to Stingray City (a must @ Grand Cayman).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

5 night stay in mid-April. The wait staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating. Especially the wait staff on the beach who work very hard in the hot sun.
Be very careful of the sun this time of year.
Tip: There is a Foster's supermarket within walking distance if you want to pick up reasonably priced snacks for your room.

Room Tip: Garden rooms have are on the quiet side of the hotel. Better than the resort view which overlooks t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!