“GORGEOUS, but expensive” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
old bethpage, NY
“GORGEOUS, but expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel really went above and beyond my expectations. The service was so fantastic. Anything you needed was brought to you or they found a way to get it if they didnt have it. Housekeeping was wonderful, happy people. The concierge were so readily available to help with any question, dinner reservation, kid activity etc... ALL the time. This hotel was filled to capacity, yet we never felt crowded. Their were hundreds of kids including my own 13, 11 and 8 yr olds, and we never felt like their were too many kids on top of us. The beach is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. There are water sports on the beach available any time. Floats for the pool and the ocean, sand toys for the kids, a soccer field, volleyball court, ping pong tables, movies at night for the kids, the ice cream man comes at 3pm EVERY day and hands out ice cream to everyone, waiters that walk around the beach and hand out cut fruit, fruit drinks randomly throughout the day....I could go on and on. It was really nice.
The ONLY down side and it was a big one is that the food prices are VERY expensive. Dinners out for a family of 5 were costing us $375-400 a night. Food at the hotel was pricey too, but we were able to go to the grocery store and buy breakfast foods and snacks for all of us. 15% gratuity is always added on, so watch out for that. Not one other complaint. It was a superb hotel and a great family vacation place.
Oh! The Spa and gym are GORGEOUS!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here in October of 2012. The hotel is very large and spread out - it's actually on two sides of a main street on the Island. One side is oceanfront, the other is on the golf course. There is a covered walkway that is more a part of the hotel than some type of walking bridge. Just know that if you are on the golf side it can be a bit of a walk to get to the beach. There is a pool on both sides. The golf side pool is quieter and more geared for adults. The beach side has a beautiful pool, bar and restaurant. We were there in the off season so the bar at the golf side pool was not open.

I have to say that the guys and gals working around the pool/bar/beach were very nice, helpful and super friendly. Their upbeat attitudes, smiles and willingness to go the extra mile is what the Ritz is all about. We enjoyed lounging by the pool/beach everyday. The food you can order there was great as well.

The rooms were typical Ritz - very comfortable with great housekeeping. The La Prairie Spa was really one of the nicest I have visited. Great services and very relaxing. Do try to make a stop there :-) We really enjoyed our stay here. We will stay here again in the near future!

Some tips - We have stayed at the Westin a few times as well. It's a few doors down from the Ritz. Great stretch of beach and a nice pool area. Smaller than the Ritz but very nice. Rooms really needed to be redone though as they had started to get run down. We have been told that the Marriott (a few doors up in the other direction) has almost no beach, its been eroded over the years.

Grand Cayman has beautiful beaches and is clean and safe. There is not a ton to do there and the island is mostly flat. Do take a swimming with the stingrays boat tour, it's a ton of fun and the rays are super friendly, beautiful animals. The water at the coral reef they take you out to is just amazing. This past trip a few of us chartered a private yacht for an afternoon. It was so much fun! They took us out to a reef for snorkeling, to starfish bay for swimming and jet skiing too then a beautiful sunset on the ride back. The Ritz hooked us up with the captain and it was great - ask the concierge for assistance.

Skip any type of us/van tour of the island that takes you to the town of "Hell" its just a store where they want you to buy things. The tour was really a waste of time. It you have kids with you, go to see the turtles - that really a great stop.

Also, if you are looking for quick eats, there is a strip mall walking distance from the Ritz and directly across the street from the Westin - it has a great breakfast diner, sports bar and sushi place as a well as a liquor store. In the other direction, not walking distance, is another strip mall that has a cigar bar where they roll cubans for you right there and they serve the most amazing mojitos!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mason City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the SMB Marriott for the past four years. This year with the beach in front of the Marriott shrinking, we decided to shell out 90,000 more points for 7 nights and stay at the Ritz. We were both a little apprehensive, as we enjoyed the service at the Marriott; However, the Ritz proved to be worth the extra points/money. Check in was smooth. They offered rum punch and cookies while we were checking in. Our room was on the resort side on the fifth floor. I was hoping since I am a Marriott platinum member with 112 nights the previous year, that we'd get upgraded to the across the street location; however, we the resort room view (although not much of a view) ended up working well for us. We had quick access to the coffee in the Silver Palm lounge each morning, and the walk across the street via the indoor walkway was quick and enjoyable...art work along the wall, iguanas occasionally seen outside the windows along the way, etc. I could gush on about the resort like most of the other reviews, but I think I'll try to focus on more practical information...Here goes!
-If you're staying on points, you'll still have to shell out the $50 resort fee per day, along with $28.40 per day service fee. Soooo your "free" room will cost you $78.40 per day. I felt that the Ritz should have shown that it appreciates it's frequent guests by halving ($25) the resort fee. After all being a Platinum includes many of the "resort fee" extras.
-We rented a car; however, there is a grocery store and several great restaurants nearby, so it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to rent one. We found it convenient. We did not use the valet parking, as we'd like to just pop out, get in the car, and be on our way instead of waiting for them to retrieve the car.
-If you want a front row lounge chair, you should be down there by 7:10. We found that an aisle location in the second row worked well for us. The chairs are stacked pretty close together in the front row. The fourth row was wide open most of the day. The attendants are very helpful getting you towels and set up.
-ICE CREAM at 3:00!!!! We loved this "perk." Every day at the ocean side of the pool towel hut, they'd roll out a cart and offer free bomb pops, ice cream sandwiches, frozen strawberry smoothies, etc. These were very yummy and we looked forward to this each day. They would also bring around pineapple, apple, cranberry, etc. juice each day as well. We face towels were brought around the pool, but not the beach each day.
-The pool on the resort (away from beach) side is incredibly peaceful! It can be a nice break,.
-The workout room is great, and the yoga classes seem to be well attended.
-Walking down the beach for 1/2 an hour and then retracing your tracks gives you a nice hour walk with great scenery.
-Even at spring break time, the 7 mile beach remains amazingly uncrowded!
-The hot tub is just another name for kiddie pool! Every time we walked by, there'd be at least 5-8 little ones splashing around.
-Two iguanas peek into the windows at the end of the hall as you are walking to the beach. It's the first "end" before a turn to get to the beach.
-We asked and received a microwave so we could have oatmeal in the morning along with our complimentary coffee.
The refrigerator is small, but you can put a couple of beers, a half gallon of milk, and a container of OJ in there...very snug, however.
-The safe is shallow, so things have to stand up (like IPads) and have a tendency to tip over.
-They provide complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate in the Silver Palms Lounge in the morning from 6:00-9:00...I think it's 9:00...maybe 10:00.
-Two complimentary bottles of water are in your room and are replaced if necessary during the nightly turn down.
-Back to the exercise room...They have good weight machines, free weights, ellipticals, treadmills, a yoga room, etc. It's 1000 percent better than the miniscule Marriott workout room.
The lobby, silver palm lounge, walkway to beach are all on floor 3.
-Floor one is the spa, weight room, resort pool, and the street where we parked our car.
-Blue is expensive, and features tasting menus. This did not look appealing to us. They featured, raw, mostly raw, and slightly cooked fish...not to my liking...sorry! :)
-We didn't eat at Periwinkles, located by the resort pool, but the menu looked good, and it had an authentic Italian flare. We'll go there next time.
-Sunshine Grill (5 minute walk) has great fish tacos and excellent hamburgers at a fraction of the cost of the Ritz (Hamburger $20 at Ritz).
-The kayaks were fun to take out. The water tricycle was cumbersome, but it was a good leg workout. The standing paddle surfboards were popular, but you'd better have good balance.
-All of the staff were EXCELLENT! Very helpful and all were driven to make sure you were having a good vacation.
-We're already planning on going back next February! We've done the spring break, but our schedule is a bit different next year so we'll be going back for 8 nights instead of 7.
-Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ocean side would be nice, but we were perfectly happy with the resort side. Get a higher floor. Do...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
La Jolla, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

1.When we first get to our room we had a nice view of a highway. Wow I thought this is tropical. There are two highways that run through the hotel.
2. We asked to get moved. The operator gave me attitude. But when we did move we then I a view of a gross pool.
3. The pools at this resort are gross and plain. and full of little children.
4. This is only one, dirty, jacuzzi and it is always sure to be filled with little children. It looked like it was from a motel.
5. This resort is full of little people. Just a ton of kids every where. So if you want to go with your little children then this is the place. But if you have teenagers go to a different hotel.
6. The internet service here it the worst I have ever seen at a hotel in the past 4 years. The internet is soooooooooooooo slow.
7. I was shocked what 1,000 dollars a night plus a 50 dollar daily charge(I still don't understand their justification for this) bought me here. It was not worth it. I go to resorts all the time so I know my stuff.

Room Tip: Really, just choose another hotel!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Starting from the service, this hotel was unbelievable which you expect at the Ritz Carlton. So getting into details...We ate at the beach restaurant. Food was fantastic! And not overpriced as we were told it would be. Drinks are a little pricey though. Full service from this restaurant while you are on the beach or at the pool or you can eat right at the restaurant. We liked the location of this hotel as it was in walking distance to other restaurants. We found a breakfast place called Eats Cafe. It was delicious! Blueberry pancakes, banana pancakes. They had great combos for excellent prices. If you get there and there is a wait for a table, it's not a long wait.
The hotel is about a 30 min. walk to Camana Bay. We walked there along the road and would take the beach back. You could also ride the bus for $1.50 per person. It will also take you into Georgetown. We loved Camana Bay. Great restaurants. Our favourite for local foods was Ortanique. It's a cute little shopping area. We took the bus to Georgetown. It's more of a cruise ship port so not as nice as Camana Bay in our opinion.
The room we had was not on the beach but we didn't mind. It was a garden view, very quiet, looking at palm trees. The other pool in that section is also very quiet. Nice place to get away from all the people as sometimes you feel like you almost like you have the pool to yourself.
My only complaint was the pool water was a bit too cold!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I really don't know where to begin with this review! I've been to this property several times over the past several years and every time I return I am delighted by the whole experience. The Ritz Carlton on Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman is incredible! The island is one of my favorites in the Caribbean and the Ritz Carlton on Grand Cayman is one of my favorite hotels in the world. The setting is idyllic, the beach and grounds are immaculate, the hotel itself is tastefully and elegantly decorated appealing to both the masculine and female senses and the staff is second to none anywhere I've ever stayed. In fact, the staff is beyond courteous. The people who work there are just plain happy, friendly and most of all helpful. What I like most about the place beyond its obvious appeal is its consistency. I first visited here over 5 years ago now on a business related trip. Since then, I have been back on business and have stayed here once with my wife and most recently with my entire family - wife, kids, sisters, mother, nephew, etc... Each time I return, I am greeted by the same faces and assisted by the same people. The servers at the beach are the same as they were 5 years ago. The pool attendants are the same, the bellmen are the same. I even recognize the same upper management walking around the property. To me, this fact alone speaks volumes and is the secret to the property's success. The only negative claim I will point out is that it is expensive. I mean really expensive. But if you have the means, I highly recommend it, at least once in your life! You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanfront room on the third floor. You will be rewarded with great views and beautiful s...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My best friend got married here on the beach overlooking the gorgeous ocean. She had an afternoon wedding and reception and it was one of the most breathtaking experiences I have ever been party to! The venue was first class, from the gorgeous outdoor wedding cabana to the amazing
food and service at the Ritz, which was really outstanding! Would definitely get married here if I was to get married again!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!