“Ritz Is Worth It! Some Practical Information” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman

You added The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay Road | PO Box 32348, Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Ritz-Carlton Rewards
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Mason City, Iowa
“Ritz Is Worth It! Some Practical Information”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the SMB Marriott for the past four years. This year with the beach in front of the Marriott shrinking, we decided to shell out 90,000 more points for 7 nights and stay at the Ritz. We were both a little apprehensive, as we enjoyed the service at the Marriott; However, the Ritz proved to be worth the extra points/money. Check in was smooth. They offered rum punch and cookies while we were checking in. Our room was on the resort side on the fifth floor. I was hoping since I am a Marriott platinum member with 112 nights the previous year, that we'd get upgraded to the across the street location; however, we the resort room view (although not much of a view) ended up working well for us. We had quick access to the coffee in the Silver Palm lounge each morning, and the walk across the street via the indoor walkway was quick and enjoyable...art work along the wall, iguanas occasionally seen outside the windows along the way, etc. I could gush on about the resort like most of the other reviews, but I think I'll try to focus on more practical information...Here goes!
-If you're staying on points, you'll still have to shell out the $50 resort fee per day, along with $28.40 per day service fee. Soooo your "free" room will cost you $78.40 per day. I felt that the Ritz should have shown that it appreciates it's frequent guests by halving ($25) the resort fee. After all being a Platinum includes many of the "resort fee" extras.
-We rented a car; however, there is a grocery store and several great restaurants nearby, so it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to rent one. We found it convenient. We did not use the valet parking, as we'd like to just pop out, get in the car, and be on our way instead of waiting for them to retrieve the car.
-If you want a front row lounge chair, you should be down there by 7:10. We found that an aisle location in the second row worked well for us. The chairs are stacked pretty close together in the front row. The fourth row was wide open most of the day. The attendants are very helpful getting you towels and set up.
-ICE CREAM at 3:00!!!! We loved this "perk." Every day at the ocean side of the pool towel hut, they'd roll out a cart and offer free bomb pops, ice cream sandwiches, frozen strawberry smoothies, etc. These were very yummy and we looked forward to this each day. They would also bring around pineapple, apple, cranberry, etc. juice each day as well. We face towels were brought around the pool, but not the beach each day.
-The pool on the resort (away from beach) side is incredibly peaceful! It can be a nice break,.
-The workout room is great, and the yoga classes seem to be well attended.
-Walking down the beach for 1/2 an hour and then retracing your tracks gives you a nice hour walk with great scenery.
-Even at spring break time, the 7 mile beach remains amazingly uncrowded!
-The hot tub is just another name for kiddie pool! Every time we walked by, there'd be at least 5-8 little ones splashing around.
-Two iguanas peek into the windows at the end of the hall as you are walking to the beach. It's the first "end" before a turn to get to the beach.
-We asked and received a microwave so we could have oatmeal in the morning along with our complimentary coffee.
The refrigerator is small, but you can put a couple of beers, a half gallon of milk, and a container of OJ in there...very snug, however.
-The safe is shallow, so things have to stand up (like IPads) and have a tendency to tip over.
-They provide complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate in the Silver Palms Lounge in the morning from 6:00-9:00...I think it's 9:00...maybe 10:00.
-Two complimentary bottles of water are in your room and are replaced if necessary during the nightly turn down.
-Back to the exercise room...They have good weight machines, free weights, ellipticals, treadmills, a yoga room, etc. It's 1000 percent better than the miniscule Marriott workout room.
The lobby, silver palm lounge, walkway to beach are all on floor 3.
-Floor one is the spa, weight room, resort pool, and the street where we parked our car.
-Blue is expensive, and features tasting menus. This did not look appealing to us. They featured, raw, mostly raw, and slightly cooked fish...not to my liking...sorry! :)
-We didn't eat at Periwinkles, located by the resort pool, but the menu looked good, and it had an authentic Italian flare. We'll go there next time.
-Sunshine Grill (5 minute walk) has great fish tacos and excellent hamburgers at a fraction of the cost of the Ritz (Hamburger $20 at Ritz).
-The kayaks were fun to take out. The water tricycle was cumbersome, but it was a good leg workout. The standing paddle surfboards were popular, but you'd better have good balance.
-All of the staff were EXCELLENT! Very helpful and all were driven to make sure you were having a good vacation.
-We're already planning on going back next February! We've done the spring break, but our schedule is a bit different next year so we'll be going back for 8 nights instead of 7.
-Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ocean side would be nice, but we were perfectly happy with the resort side. Get a higher floor. Do...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
La Jolla, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

1.When we first get to our room we had a nice view of a highway. Wow I thought this is tropical. There are two highways that run through the hotel.
2. We asked to get moved. The operator gave me attitude. But when we did move we then I a view of a gross pool.
3. The pools at this resort are gross and plain. and full of little children.
4. This is only one, dirty, jacuzzi and it is always sure to be filled with little children. It looked like it was from a motel.
5. This resort is full of little people. Just a ton of kids every where. So if you want to go with your little children then this is the place. But if you have teenagers go to a different hotel.
6. The internet service here it the worst I have ever seen at a hotel in the past 4 years. The internet is soooooooooooooo slow.
7. I was shocked what 1,000 dollars a night plus a 50 dollar daily charge(I still don't understand their justification for this) bought me here. It was not worth it. I go to resorts all the time so I know my stuff.

Room Tip: Really, just choose another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Starting from the service, this hotel was unbelievable which you expect at the Ritz Carlton. So getting into details...We ate at the beach restaurant. Food was fantastic! And not overpriced as we were told it would be. Drinks are a little pricey though. Full service from this restaurant while you are on the beach or at the pool or you can eat right at the restaurant. We liked the location of this hotel as it was in walking distance to other restaurants. We found a breakfast place called Eats Cafe. It was delicious! Blueberry pancakes, banana pancakes. They had great combos for excellent prices. If you get there and there is a wait for a table, it's not a long wait.
The hotel is about a 30 min. walk to Camana Bay. We walked there along the road and would take the beach back. You could also ride the bus for $1.50 per person. It will also take you into Georgetown. We loved Camana Bay. Great restaurants. Our favourite for local foods was Ortanique. It's a cute little shopping area. We took the bus to Georgetown. It's more of a cruise ship port so not as nice as Camana Bay in our opinion.
The room we had was not on the beach but we didn't mind. It was a garden view, very quiet, looking at palm trees. The other pool in that section is also very quiet. Nice place to get away from all the people as sometimes you feel like you almost like you have the pool to yourself.
My only complaint was the pool water was a bit too cold!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I really don't know where to begin with this review! I've been to this property several times over the past several years and every time I return I am delighted by the whole experience. The Ritz Carlton on Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman is incredible! The island is one of my favorites in the Caribbean and the Ritz Carlton on Grand Cayman is one of my favorite hotels in the world. The setting is idyllic, the beach and grounds are immaculate, the hotel itself is tastefully and elegantly decorated appealing to both the masculine and female senses and the staff is second to none anywhere I've ever stayed. In fact, the staff is beyond courteous. The people who work there are just plain happy, friendly and most of all helpful. What I like most about the place beyond its obvious appeal is its consistency. I first visited here over 5 years ago now on a business related trip. Since then, I have been back on business and have stayed here once with my wife and most recently with my entire family - wife, kids, sisters, mother, nephew, etc... Each time I return, I am greeted by the same faces and assisted by the same people. The servers at the beach are the same as they were 5 years ago. The pool attendants are the same, the bellmen are the same. I even recognize the same upper management walking around the property. To me, this fact alone speaks volumes and is the secret to the property's success. The only negative claim I will point out is that it is expensive. I mean really expensive. But if you have the means, I highly recommend it, at least once in your life! You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanfront room on the third floor. You will be rewarded with great views and beautiful s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

My best friend got married here on the beach overlooking the gorgeous ocean. She had an afternoon wedding and reception and it was one of the most breathtaking experiences I have ever been party to! The venue was first class, from the gorgeous outdoor wedding cabana to the amazing
food and service at the Ritz, which was really outstanding! Would definitely get married here if I was to get married again!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent a few nights at this resort in an ocean view room. Our room was pretty standard as far as size and amenities go and decor was unmistakably Caribbean, but the view was spectacular. In some places, the resort is starting to look older than its age but it is set on one of the best stretches of SMB, which itself is one of the best beaches in the world. In any event, one comes to the Ritz for the service, which was in all cases (from check-in to beach to restaurants to spa) spot-on. We'd recommend Periwinkles for a reasonably priced (by Cayman standards) lunch or dinner (save room for the ice cream sandwich), the tasting menu at Blue if you're really looking to splurge, high tea in the Silver Palm lounge if you're in need of a reprieve from the Cayman sun and a sports massage at the Silver Rain spa.

• Stayed June 2012
Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The hotel is good, but IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY.
Positive points: very nice property, good service, beautiful emerald sea and a convenient beach. “The Blue” restaurant is amazing (others are not bad, but I wouldn’t say more). Very good idea - a hot water jacuzzi at the beach. It was also very convenient to have a café near the beach where you can always buy coffee, ice cream, fruit, cakes, danish pastry for an affordable price.
Negative points: (1) poor breakfast: no veggies, no salads, cheese and ham – poor choice and absolutely untasty. There was a variety of hot dishes, but only few of them were somehow good. No cakes, no musses, only mini Danish pastry, muffin and mini croissants. There was a good variety of fruit but it was all the same plastic taste from US supermarkets (no local). (2) poor spa: therapists are friendly but not enough professional for a 5-star hotel. One shower didn’t work properly and I nearly got a singe. And it’s the most expensive spa I’ve ever met.
For your better understanding let me compare four 5-star resorts I stayed during the last 3 years:
1) Intercontinental Bali Resort (Bali island, Indonesia)
2) Constance Ephelia Resort (Seychelles)
3) Four Seasons Resort at Wailea (Maui island, Hawaii)
4) Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman
I will grade them from 1 to 5 (5 – the best):
Intercontinental Bali:
Property – 5, Room – 5, Service – 5, Beach – 4.5, Breakfast – 5, Restaurants – 4, Spa – 5, Price per night – 215 USD (with breakfast)
Constance Ephelia Seychelles:
Property – 5, Room – 5, Service – 4, Beach – 5, Breakfast – 5, Restaurants – 5, Spa – 5, Price – 515 USD (with breakfast and dinner)
Four Seasons Maui:
Property – 5, Room – 5, Service – 5, Beach – 4.5, Breakfast – 5, Restaurants – 4, Spa – 5, Price – 550 USD (with breakfast)
Ritz Carlton Caymans:
Property – 5, Room – 4.5, Service – 4.5, Beach – 5, Breakfast – 3, Restaurants – 4, Spa – 3, Price – 1200 USD (no food incl.)
Well, you decide.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!