“Relaxing and fun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
New York, New York, United States
“Relaxing and fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman back on the last weekend of October. Super Storm Sandy had just swung by and (unbeknownst to us) was on its way to New York. We were bound and determined to celebrate one year together in a relaxing and tropical setting and we found a great place to do it.

A few of my favorite things:
- The spa is absolutely incredible. It is a La Prarie spa, so the products are really excellent. I had the mango body scrub, a one hour massage and a facial. The relaxation room, the staff and the services are top notch. Not only that, but the decor within the spa is beautiful. It feels like you're walking into a cave in some kind of fairy tale.

- The food. Unfortunately, Blue was closed for the season, but we really enjoyed our lunches by the pool and the sushi restaurant. Since it was such a short trip, we didn't tire of the limited choices on property. Also, we happened to be there during a major culinary event on the island and attended the awards ceremony at the hotel. We were able to meet top chefs on Grand Cayman and have an incredible dinner. We also won an espresso maker in the raffle, which was really hilarious to get home.

- The pool area. I usually prefer a quiet infinity pool, but this large and quite deep pool was comfortable and easily accommodated the large number of people at the hotel. I especially appreciated the staff at the pool who would set up your chairs and move the umbrellas. It made it easy to get a spot and you didn't have to worry about people "saving chairs" and never coming back.

- The boyfriend enjoyed a round of golf while I was at the spa. He said the course was nice and took me back the next day to see all the iguanas on the course.

The staff at the hotel is very kind and really want to make sure you're happy. It can be somewhat over-bearing at times, but I prefer it to being ignored and/or lost.

We stayed in a room in the main building where you check in. I've read other reviews that complained about the "long walk" from that building to the beach and the pool, but I cannot agree. It is a very quick walk and in no way difficult. We enjoyed being on that side because it was near the restaurant where we had breakfast each morning, near the spa and pro shop. Maybe it is because we are New Yorkers and are used to walking, this didn't seem difficult, but it really isn't any more than a city block and the rooms are just as nice. We had a lovely view overlooking the other pool, the lagoon and parts of the golf course.

I can't comment on the beach as it was extremely rough due to the passing storm. We spent part of a day just sitting on the beach and it was comfortable and the chair service was mostly prompt.

I'm giving this trip a 4 out of 5 because I can't help but compare it to other Caribbean vacations I've had. While this resort is very good, it still isn't the best. If you go to Grand Cayman, though, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Non-beach view rooms nice and the walk to the beach is not far at all. If you are looking to make yo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Never seen better service, better food, such friendly staff and just perfect in every way! Cannot wait to go back there! The staff went out of their way to do everything possible to make our trip wonderful. My husband wants to go back there every year! It is absolutely worth every penny you pay for it. The only thing I was a little unhappy about was the concierge staff. The lady there was not too friendly.
We are vegetarians and the chef made a special effort to make food for us! Who does that! We spent all our time in the hotel and came back home completely refreshed! The best vacation ever!

Room Tip: Pick the ocean view rooms!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bloomfield, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I booked this trip as our "baby moon" or last big vacation before the birth of our first child. My wife was very pregnant so we weren't really looking for an active vacation but merely a place to sit back, relax & enjoy the sun. I'm happy to report that we were rewarded in every possible way.

We booked an ocean view room which was more expensive but definitely worth the extra money. Waking up to the blue water & white sand every morning was fantastic. The room itself wasn't amazing but certainly very clean and satisfactory enough. I've stayed at the Ritz in Marina Del Rey and it felt consistent with that hotel. A bit old school but well appointed and elegant.

All of the staff we dealt with at the hotel were extremely courteous, professional and friendly. One night my wife and I tried to borrow a DVD to watch in the room and the concierge on duty could not have been more warm or helpful. The hotel definitely goes to great lengths to make sure that the staff is well-versed in treating their guests with respect. A few of the newer hotels could take a lesson here for sure.

The hotel features two Eric Rippert restaurants on the premises - Blue (seafood) and Seven (steak). Both are fantastic although I would say Blue is really the more outstanding of the two. The service we had there was impeccable. My wife had trouble with her entree due to her pregnancy and they promptly whisked it away and brought her a new one, no questions asked and no extra charge. It's a beautiful place as well. Just remember to make reservations at both restaurants before you book your trip because they book up fast. We also ate at Periwinkle one night which was less expensive than the other two, a bit less formal and also quite good.

But really the best part about the trip for us was the rest & relaxation. Most days we sat by the pool or in a chaise on the beach. We either went to lunch at the Bar Jack which is the restaurant next to the pool or ordered lunch from there and had it brought to us by the pool or at the beach. It was completely relaxing and luxurious. We never felt the need to leave the hotel. Obviously if you're looking for more to do there are plenty of things to do on the island-- this just wasn't in the cards for us on this trip. We never made it to stingray beach due to my wife's pregnancy but I hear that is a really fun day trip.

The only places we did go to that weren't at the hotel were great because they were within walking distance from the hotel were two restaurants. They were both very affordable and broke up the monotony of being at the hotel and of course saved us some money since the hotel food can be rather expensive. For lunch we ate at Eats Cafe several times. This is sort of an upscale diner that serves great sandwiches and salads for affordable prices. It's about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. The same goes for the Sunshine Grill which is a "don't miss" for dinner. Great fish tacos and burgers. Plus they give you these fabulous soft serve mini cones for dessert. We went there at least 2-3 times and loved it. Just make sure you call ahead for reservations because they can get booked up too. You can pretty much show up at Eats any time and not have to worry about getting in.

Overall I have nothing but fabulous things to say about this hotel. A few other things I loved about it were:

1) They have a direct flight from Newark airport, and it's a quick & rather cheap flight if you're from the NY metro area
2) The hotel is very close to the airport
3) Really no need to rent a car when you're on grand cayman - saves some $$
4) Everyone speaks english making it a simple destination to travel to from the US
5) You can use US currency to tip the staff

I'm sure I could think of a few more things, but honestly the whole trip was top notch. If you go to the Ritz Grand Cayman you will not be disappointed unless you're looking for a super "active" vacation. This place is for rest & relaxation. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are more expensive but definitely worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My best and most special memories were made at this property. I have been going to this property every year as an annual "girl" trip. I have also brought my family and they loved it as well. The best thing about this property is the staff. Ollie at the valet is warm and welcoming. The first two trips Ervin took care of us and made our trip unforgettable. Recently, Leroy was taking care of us and we loved him as well. He even went off property to get us groceries. The staff goes above and beyond to make you feel like family. This will always be my favorite place!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Wow! This hotel defines the Ritz experience and was an excellent value for the quality. From the outstanding staff, lovely room, peace and quiet, superb food and service, beautiful beach and the most incredible pina coladas in the western hemisphere, this resort was outstanding. Simile touches like a cold bottle of water waiting in your car upon departure to the great beach attendants were the things that make this resort a magnificent place for vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying here and so far it is exceeding my expectation. We came here to celebrate our anniversary. Booked our stay from Jan 2nd till jan 7th. We are party of five - my wife, 9 yr son and 2 yr old twin girls. Prior to our arrival we were contacted by guest services to check if we were celebrating a special occasion, they also inquired about kids and ages. Once we arrived at our room, we were greeted with gifts for all our kids and a special chocolate platter wishing us happy anniversary. There are plenty of dinning options. One of the resturant plays out door movies on a big screen for the kids. It worked out great for us, our son watched the movie laying on a beach chair while we were able to eat dinner near by. I agree, ocean front room is by far better than garden view, but it will cost you more:). So far we are loving our trip and stay. Will provide additional comments at the end of our stay.
- Shafi family

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay with my family of five over the New Year's holiday. From the moment we got off the airplane, the people of the Caymans won my heart. I have traveled to many islands in the Caribbean and found Grand Cayman to be clean, friendly, and safe.

The Ritz itself is what you'd expect for a Ritz property--nice furnishings, good food, clean, etc. But, what sets this property above is the level of service, from everyone. From managers, to engineers, to wait staff and beach attendants, EVERYONE is exceptionally helpful and happy. I give extra kudos to the wait staff and beach attendants. Each day they would great us, by name and go out of their way to help--truly exceptional.

I will recommend this property to friends and I would return. I was told by a staff member they are refurbishing rooms over the next year--property is about seven years old. Also, I would stay in an ocean front room. The garden/resort rooms are very far away from the beach. Check out the resort map on-line to get an idea of the hotel layout.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!