“Mediocre” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Cayman Beach Suites

You added Grand Cayman Beach Suites to your Saves list
Grand Cayman Beach Suites
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Seven Mile Beach KY1-1101, Grand Cayman (Formerly Hyatt Beach Suites)   |
Special Price
40% off January Rates
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Westport, Connecticut
“Mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I had done a tremendous amount of research about the island and where to stay before we went down in April (I've been meaning to write this for many months). I felt confident in our decision to go to Grand Cayman Beach Suites but was quickly dissatisfied. When we arrived the front desk said they oversold the rooms so they needed to place us in the Westin for the night. We had delays on our way down so it was difficult news to hear under the circumstances. However, we tried to make the best of it. They were genuinely kind and regretful but we really got a taste of paradise after staying at the Westin. It made us realize how mismanaged and loud our remaining nights at Grand Cayman Beach Suites was compared to the Westin. The construction was overbearingly loud and to the rooms are pretty outdated. I don't believe I saw one member of upper management our entire stay and there's no concierge to help with local attractions. As a guest, you must depend on the front desk staff to help with this sort of information but they're often inundated and unable to provide adequate information as they are helping other guests manage logistics of their rooms/stay. I feel a concierge is standard fare when you're staying at such a costly hotel. Also, the hotel tacks on an additional $150 (Grand Cayman) for "service tip" at the end of the stay. This fee came as a surprise to us after we spent over $300/night for the room- there were only two of us. Also, it appears as though they haven't invested in the property in years. The beach chairs are covered in blue mats, which are grease stained from previous uses of tanning oil and lotion. They're out dirty. And the beach area is minuscule compared to other properties-You're shoulder-to-shoulder with other guests. The beach is why you're in GC! The wifi is an additional $10/day per device, which is just silly as it's typically free. Will never return; spend your money elsewhere. I completely disagree with the reviews that glorify this hotel. Grand cayman is beautiful but we go to the Caribbean on an annual basis and have gotten much better stays and memories in other hotels. In fact, our memories from the one night in the Westin far exceed the remaining nights at Beach Suites.

• Stayed April 2013
BeachSuitesGM, General Manager at Grand Cayman Beach Suites, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide this important feedback. I watch this forum carefully for comments and I take seriously all comments made in order that we can use them to better our services and provide a better stay for all of our guests. Please be assured that I am taking into consideration all of the points you identified and please let me take the opportunity to comment on some of your issues mentioned.

There is construction ongoing at the property next door and certainly wish that this were not the case but the nature of construction means that there are times when the work undertaken can be noisy and other times it is not. It is most unfortunate that your visit occurred during the former. I can assure you that there is no one looking forward to the completion of that building more than I.

It is regrettable that you felt our rooms were outdated as we've spent considerable resources, in October 2012 we replaced all carpets, living room furniture, premium mattresses, patio chairs, painted the rooms and installed premier HDcable on our flat screens. We appreciate everyone's opinion but do know that décor tastes differ but our primary goal was to make the room comfortable and relaxing with our room footprint of 700 sq feet we offer lots of space for couples and families to spread out.

In Cayman Islands all hotel accommodations are subject to mandated government fees, all daily rates are exclusive of 13% hotel tax and a 10% service charge which goes directly to all employees. This is not a hotel initiative but law and it is closely audited by the Department of Tourism if you feel this charge is unwarranted I urge you to contact the government body and voice your displeasure.

As a small 53 room hotel all of our staff do many job functions day to day, the front desk is no exception and our front office agents act as our concierge, they are all proud Caymanians who know the island restaurants and activities extensively and yes at times they are busy but always willing to help in any request you may have. As noted in a recent comment we have replaced all loungers and are enjoyed by all. With 250ft of beach front we have more than enough room for our suites. We are a boutique property and as we are not as large as the other hotels on the island but we only accommodate 100 people at full capacity not 700 people as the other hotels do.

As you have seen from previous good reviews we always strive to provide a great experience for all of our guests. We appreciate the review and although you didn't enjoy our small boutique resort we hope you will one day return to vacation in the Cayman Islands

Bill Powers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
M-Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Hotel is smaller than many others, thus giving you the peace and low crowding. However, a 10 story hotel is being built right next to this one. I believe this may not be too much of a factor, simply because most people like to stay in front of their perseptive hotels on the beach. Enough space for limited crowding, but the Red Sail Shop will bring more visitors to cross the hotel lines.

Overall, as for now, this is one of my nice little get aways. Expensive, but remember, this is a British Area so the money is in Euro type values (KYD or CI). Oh, sorry for not mentioning the Hen.Restaurant (they cooked and nicely prepared our fish that was caught from our earlier days' sea fishing) and Ms. Miller (the office counter manager). Man she's very knowledgeable of the hotel and area..... Nice and enjoyable stay, thanks!

Room Tip: The hotel has side and straight forward rooms. The 3rd floor straight forward rooms is the best outs...
Media, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

For those who may resist a reservation due to construction next door, do not worry! The external construction is completed and we were not bothered by noise at all. This is a very nice resort~ the staff are wonderful (they could use more wait staff at lunch time!), our suite was great ~ with a wonderful view of the beach. The nicest aspect was that we did not feel like we were among crowds of people. We walked past the Marriott, the Ritz etc. and both agreed that this property beat them both!
Red Sail Diving operation is situated on this property as well. We dove with them several times and were quite satisfied. We were disappointed with the conditions of the reefs these days. They have definitely deteriorated since our last trip in '87.
Lastly, the resort is within walking distance of several good/great restaurants. Right across the street is Decker's. Two of our best meals were at their bar. The bartender is an expert and very friendly. I highly recommend sitting at the bar in this double - decker bus turned restaurant

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

First, to echo what other reviewers have said, this hotel is not the Ritz and should not be compared to it. For example, a 2 bedroom suite at the Ritz starts at $2400 per night and at GCBS it's around $1000. The Watercolours is still under construction (inside and outside) and it is noisy at times despite what anyone says. Our 3 year old boy liked to watch the construction though so it might not be an issue and could even be a positive.
The service here is very good (in some cases excellent, ie Kylie the head bartender at the pool). There is no specific concierge, but the front desk personel are more than capable of making restaurant or golf reservations or anything else that we wanted. I have to say that I was very frustrated upon our arrival because a member of our party that made it to the hotel before us was not allowed to check in and enter the room. My wife specifically emailed the hotel and asked that she be allowed to check in and also given access to the room so there was definitely a miscommunication. The pool area is very nice-pool was always clean, swim up bar with 4-5 seats, they keep the grounds clean and nicely manicured; the beach is of course amazing. It would be nice to have umbrellas on the beach that could be moved with the sun. The rooms are clean and comfortable but could use some touching/freshening up. Our microwave was broken upon arrival but maintenance quickly replaced it. There is no oven in the room just fyi, and the fridge is small with no freezer but can store leftovers, etc. The wireless internet was not the fastest I have ever used and was sometimes tedious to re-login but suffices. All-in-all, the GCBS is a very nice, boutique-feeling, smaller property but is not perfect (no hotel is though right). We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: stay on the side away from watercolours if you like to sleep late
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The rooms were spacious, albeit in need of some updating. The bathroom and shower/tub was huge. We had an oceanfront balcony which was much better than folks that had the much smaller french balcony. However, the view is partially blocked by the trees surrounding the pool area. Don't come for the pool, it is quite small. However, do come for the beach. There are plenty of chairs and lots of room to spread out. This is considerably better than the Ritz, Marriott, or Westin. There is no need to awaken at dawn to claim a great spot.
Housekeeping is terrific. Our room was freshened twice daily. We wished we had more plates/glassware in our kitchenette. Towel staff for the beach was great. I was slightly disappointed that the pool bar didn't have daily drink specials. For that, you had to go to the indoor bar for 2-for-1 specials. Well worth doing! The bar staff was very accomodating.
Lastly, the front desk staff deserve special recognition. They, along with the bellman, would go out of their way to help you with reservations and suggestions. Outstanding service!
Our complaint -- the noise from adjacent room was too much. There just isn't enough to keep the noise from coming through the door and walls.

Room Tip: High floor with the larger balcony is an absolute must.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
McLean, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I struggled with how many stars to put because we did have a mixed experience. I have been looking forward to this trip for many months and have been watching the reviews carefully so I thought I had a pretty good idea of what to expect but there are some things that you just have to find out for yourself! In sum it was a great week and GCBS is a good property with some amazing amenities. But we will not return until the construction is completed and we can be assured that the management has figured out how to treat customers more appropriately.
Room
We had one of the larger 2 bedroom suites, which was amazing! The views from the balcony were heavenly. But there was also construction next door (details below) and in the quote price they do not tell you about all of the govt required taxes and fees. That added nearly $150 a night for the 2 bedroom and I think about $75 a night for the 1 bedrooms, not their fault but just be prepared.
Marie who serviced the room was amazing and wonderful. She made us feel right at home, and the beds and sheets were very comfortable. With the pool towels and towels in the room we were all set!
Construction
Regardless of what they tell you the construction and the noise that it entails continues. We were told that it is ‘inside’ and they are ‘only doing the roof’ but the 7 a.m. trucks and crane operations were persistent. Again we were right beside it as all of the 2 bedroom balconies are but I think if you have a 1 bedroom try to get a room that is ocean view so that you can be away from construction. In addition to the noise, which you CAN hear from the beach, we also had Styrofoam all over our balcony and the pool which was kind of gross.
Despite the construction I was going to give GCBS four stars until we had a “run in” with the staff. They are VERY big on no outside food. We had 9 of us in the pool area eating well over $150 worth of food and beverage – my sister was eating a small salad (not from GCBS) and the waitress basically admonished her from afar. We asked to speak to a manager and instead of just letting her know the policy they wanted her to leave our table immediately to return to the room! This was all done in a very aggressive manner with him at one point saying “I can’t have it”. A better option would have been for him to simply let her know policy for the future in a more appropriate manner. Considering how much we spent there over the week I was seriously disappointed that they feel they can treat their customers so poorly.
*I know that the management watches these reviews closely and most likely
will respond below. Let me be very clear – I am not complaining about
the policy – I am complaining about the rude and disrespectful
way that we were treated by the staff*
Otherwise, the front desk staff was lovely and the ladies who worked in the shops were amazingly helpful. Also both Stacey and Brad at the swim up bar made our daily visits there enjoyable.
The room service was actually quite good and less expensive than many of the restaurant options. Many people have opined on food so v briefly: Decker’s is super expensive but convenient and VERY good. Regazzi received high marks in past and is absolutely worth it. Do not go to Coconut Joes for dinner – it is not a good option. We also went to the Wharf which had good food ($$$) and dancing on weekend nights. For breakfast/lunch the pool bar is good but also there is Lauren’s café across the street with I give 5 stars. Truly a lovely, lovely place to go!
Pools
For our purposes the pools were fine. There is one pool that is a ‘volleyball’ pool that we loved and frequented and the other pool has a swim up bar and a very shallow area. But if you are looking for a big pool to really swim in this is not the place.
Beach and Activities
GCBS has one of the best beachfronts on 7 mile beach. Some have complained about how small it is but I thought it was perfect! You never wanted for a chair and they are the only place I saw that had shades on all the chairs. It was a very nice touch. Red Sail sports is right on property and we did the sunset sail, banana boating and a snorkeling trip. They may be a bit pricier but they did an excellent job and made all of the excursions fun for all ages.

Room Tip: if in a one bedroom suite - get one away from the construction area with a full balcony
Barrie, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I had booked a trip to Grand Cayman two years ago and were going to stay at the Ritz. The trip had to be cancelled due to a family emergency. When we decided it was time to try again, we looked at the same trip and it had increased in price by $2,000!!! That got us looking elsewhere on the island which eventually led us to Grand Cayman Beach Suites. Are we ever glad it did!!!
We thought this was a perfect little hotel. The rooms were large and comfortable, the staff was attentive and helpful and, with only 53 suites, it had the feel of a small, private resort.
We walked the beach down to the Ritz and walked around inside. Am I ever glad we stayed at GCBC...the Ritz seemed so large and impersonal.
As other reviewers have stated, there was NEVER an issue getting a lounge chair either on the beach or by the pool no matter when we went and they replaced all the loungers while we were there. Best loungers on the beach in my opinion!!
The water off of Seven Mile Beach is some of the warmest and clearest I have ever seen and there is lots of great snorkeling within walking distance of the hotel.
People comment on the expense of eating on Grand Cayman. This is true but not always the case. If you don't mind eating off the beaten path or avoiding the more well known restaurants, there are a lot of options available. We are big fans of the Sunshine Grill and Eats (both opposite the Westin, north of GCBS) and, for a good filling family-style meal, you can't beat Chicken Chicken. Great chicken and sides with HUGE portions.

My wife and I avoid returning to the same place twice (too many places to visit). GCBS has now made the very short list of places we will return to in the very near future!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Cayman Beach Suites? Share your experiences!