“Wonderful week at Beach Suites” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Cayman Beach Suites

Save Saved
You added Grand Cayman Beach Suites to your Saves list
Grand Cayman Beach Suites
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Seven Mile Beach KY1-1101, Grand Cayman (Formerly Hyatt Beach Suites)   |
Special Price
Fall into Cayman Deal
Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in Seven Mile Beach
Media, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful week at Beach Suites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

For those who may resist a reservation due to construction next door, do not worry! The external construction is completed and we were not bothered by noise at all. This is a very nice resort~ the staff are wonderful (they could use more wait staff at lunch time!), our suite was great ~ with a wonderful view of the beach. The nicest aspect was that we did not feel like we were among crowds of people. We walked past the Marriott, the Ritz etc. and both agreed that this property beat them both!
Red Sail Diving operation is situated on this property as well. We dove with them several times and were quite satisfied. We were disappointed with the conditions of the reefs these days. They have definitely deteriorated since our last trip in '87.
Lastly, the resort is within walking distance of several good/great restaurants. Right across the street is Decker's. Two of our best meals were at their bar. The bartender is an expert and very friendly. I highly recommend sitting at the bar in this double - decker bus turned restaurant

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

722 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

First, to echo what other reviewers have said, this hotel is not the Ritz and should not be compared to it. For example, a 2 bedroom suite at the Ritz starts at $2400 per night and at GCBS it's around $1000. The Watercolours is still under construction (inside and outside) and it is noisy at times despite what anyone says. Our 3 year old boy liked to watch the construction though so it might not be an issue and could even be a positive.
The service here is very good (in some cases excellent, ie Kylie the head bartender at the pool). There is no specific concierge, but the front desk personel are more than capable of making restaurant or golf reservations or anything else that we wanted. I have to say that I was very frustrated upon our arrival because a member of our party that made it to the hotel before us was not allowed to check in and enter the room. My wife specifically emailed the hotel and asked that she be allowed to check in and also given access to the room so there was definitely a miscommunication. The pool area is very nice-pool was always clean, swim up bar with 4-5 seats, they keep the grounds clean and nicely manicured; the beach is of course amazing. It would be nice to have umbrellas on the beach that could be moved with the sun. The rooms are clean and comfortable but could use some touching/freshening up. Our microwave was broken upon arrival but maintenance quickly replaced it. There is no oven in the room just fyi, and the fridge is small with no freezer but can store leftovers, etc. The wireless internet was not the fastest I have ever used and was sometimes tedious to re-login but suffices. All-in-all, the GCBS is a very nice, boutique-feeling, smaller property but is not perfect (no hotel is though right). We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: stay on the side away from watercolours if you like to sleep late
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The rooms were spacious, albeit in need of some updating. The bathroom and shower/tub was huge. We had an oceanfront balcony which was much better than folks that had the much smaller french balcony. However, the view is partially blocked by the trees surrounding the pool area. Don't come for the pool, it is quite small. However, do come for the beach. There are plenty of chairs and lots of room to spread out. This is considerably better than the Ritz, Marriott, or Westin. There is no need to awaken at dawn to claim a great spot.
Housekeeping is terrific. Our room was freshened twice daily. We wished we had more plates/glassware in our kitchenette. Towel staff for the beach was great. I was slightly disappointed that the pool bar didn't have daily drink specials. For that, you had to go to the indoor bar for 2-for-1 specials. Well worth doing! The bar staff was very accomodating.
Lastly, the front desk staff deserve special recognition. They, along with the bellman, would go out of their way to help you with reservations and suggestions. Outstanding service!
Our complaint -- the noise from adjacent room was too much. There just isn't enough to keep the noise from coming through the door and walls.

Room Tip: High floor with the larger balcony is an absolute must.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
McLean, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I struggled with how many stars to put because we did have a mixed experience. I have been looking forward to this trip for many months and have been watching the reviews carefully so I thought I had a pretty good idea of what to expect but there are some things that you just have to find out for yourself! In sum it was a great week and GCBS is a good property with some amazing amenities. But we will not return until the construction is completed and we can be assured that the management has figured out how to treat customers more appropriately.
Room
We had one of the larger 2 bedroom suites, which was amazing! The views from the balcony were heavenly. But there was also construction next door (details below) and in the quote price they do not tell you about all of the govt required taxes and fees. That added nearly $150 a night for the 2 bedroom and I think about $75 a night for the 1 bedrooms, not their fault but just be prepared.
Marie who serviced the room was amazing and wonderful. She made us feel right at home, and the beds and sheets were very comfortable. With the pool towels and towels in the room we were all set!
Construction
Regardless of what they tell you the construction and the noise that it entails continues. We were told that it is ‘inside’ and they are ‘only doing the roof’ but the 7 a.m. trucks and crane operations were persistent. Again we were right beside it as all of the 2 bedroom balconies are but I think if you have a 1 bedroom try to get a room that is ocean view so that you can be away from construction. In addition to the noise, which you CAN hear from the beach, we also had Styrofoam all over our balcony and the pool which was kind of gross.
Despite the construction I was going to give GCBS four stars until we had a “run in” with the staff. They are VERY big on no outside food. We had 9 of us in the pool area eating well over $150 worth of food and beverage – my sister was eating a small salad (not from GCBS) and the waitress basically admonished her from afar. We asked to speak to a manager and instead of just letting her know the policy they wanted her to leave our table immediately to return to the room! This was all done in a very aggressive manner with him at one point saying “I can’t have it”. A better option would have been for him to simply let her know policy for the future in a more appropriate manner. Considering how much we spent there over the week I was seriously disappointed that they feel they can treat their customers so poorly.
*I know that the management watches these reviews closely and most likely
will respond below. Let me be very clear – I am not complaining about
the policy – I am complaining about the rude and disrespectful
way that we were treated by the staff*
Otherwise, the front desk staff was lovely and the ladies who worked in the shops were amazingly helpful. Also both Stacey and Brad at the swim up bar made our daily visits there enjoyable.
The room service was actually quite good and less expensive than many of the restaurant options. Many people have opined on food so v briefly: Decker’s is super expensive but convenient and VERY good. Regazzi received high marks in past and is absolutely worth it. Do not go to Coconut Joes for dinner – it is not a good option. We also went to the Wharf which had good food ($$$) and dancing on weekend nights. For breakfast/lunch the pool bar is good but also there is Lauren’s café across the street with I give 5 stars. Truly a lovely, lovely place to go!
Pools
For our purposes the pools were fine. There is one pool that is a ‘volleyball’ pool that we loved and frequented and the other pool has a swim up bar and a very shallow area. But if you are looking for a big pool to really swim in this is not the place.
Beach and Activities
GCBS has one of the best beachfronts on 7 mile beach. Some have complained about how small it is but I thought it was perfect! You never wanted for a chair and they are the only place I saw that had shades on all the chairs. It was a very nice touch. Red Sail sports is right on property and we did the sunset sail, banana boating and a snorkeling trip. They may be a bit pricier but they did an excellent job and made all of the excursions fun for all ages.

Room Tip: if in a one bedroom suite - get one away from the construction area with a full balcony
Barrie, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I had booked a trip to Grand Cayman two years ago and were going to stay at the Ritz. The trip had to be cancelled due to a family emergency. When we decided it was time to try again, we looked at the same trip and it had increased in price by $2,000!!! That got us looking elsewhere on the island which eventually led us to Grand Cayman Beach Suites. Are we ever glad it did!!!
We thought this was a perfect little hotel. The rooms were large and comfortable, the staff was attentive and helpful and, with only 53 suites, it had the feel of a small, private resort.
We walked the beach down to the Ritz and walked around inside. Am I ever glad we stayed at GCBC...the Ritz seemed so large and impersonal.
As other reviewers have stated, there was NEVER an issue getting a lounge chair either on the beach or by the pool no matter when we went and they replaced all the loungers while we were there. Best loungers on the beach in my opinion!!
The water off of Seven Mile Beach is some of the warmest and clearest I have ever seen and there is lots of great snorkeling within walking distance of the hotel.
People comment on the expense of eating on Grand Cayman. This is true but not always the case. If you don't mind eating off the beaten path or avoiding the more well known restaurants, there are a lot of options available. We are big fans of the Sunshine Grill and Eats (both opposite the Westin, north of GCBS) and, for a good filling family-style meal, you can't beat Chicken Chicken. Great chicken and sides with HUGE portions.

My wife and I avoid returning to the same place twice (too many places to visit). GCBS has now made the very short list of places we will return to in the very near future!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you are looking for a property that compares to the Ritz Carlton, this is not it. However, if you are looking for a good value at a nice property consider the Grand Cayman Beach Suites. In researching our trip to GC, I narrowed it down to here and the Ritz. For the same price as a hotel room with 2 double beds on the non-beach side of the Ritz (and a 5+ minute walk to the beach), I got a one bedroom suite with a balcony overlooking Seven Mile Beach. The suite was perfect for our family of 4 -- a bedroom for the parents and a Queen sleeper sofa for our two boys, age 5 and 7, a small kitchenette and a dining room table perfect for eating breakfast and playing games in the evening.

The front desk staff were very pleasant -- especially Julisa who helped us with everything from getting a babysitter to watch our kids while we went scuba-diving to bringing me a bag of ice when I accidentally closed my fingers in a car door. The suite was very clean and the property is generally well kept. My complaints are relatively minor -- things like the trash can/ashtray by the elevator had two cigarette butts in it the whole time and for almost half a day there was a plastic cup on the floor of the elevator (until I finally picked it up and threw it away). It would also be nice if GCBS had beach toys for kids. We bought some that we would gladly have donated to the resort for future guests. The food is decent and the drinks are cold. Our kids loved both the beach and the pools. Every afternoon they joined in a pick up game of pool volleyball. There was a nice family atmosphere, but the resort isn't overrun with kids.

For anyone who hasn't been to GC before, Seven Mile Beach is packed with hotels and condos. Unless you are actually on the beach, you really can't see the beach. That offers some conveniences like access to restaurants and a grocery store within walking distance, but I recommend renting a car for a day or two to see a different part of the island. Cab fare is very expensive and by the time you take a taxi round trip somewhere you have spent as much as you would for a car rental. There is an Avis branch at the Ritz that will pick you up at the GCBS. If you do decide to explore, the Greenhouse Restaurant is a wonderful little place that serves local fare in a pretty setting. We also enjoyed a really nice lunch at Calypso Grill.

Red Sail Sports has a location at the resort which makes it easy to rent jetskis, Hobiecats and the like. You can also dive and do Stingray City trips with them. We prefer diving the North Wall and dove with Wall to Wall Divers who picked us up at the resort and had us back in time for lunch with the kids.

We did go the Ritz for breakfast one morning and walked around the property. It is beautiful and the service level was definitely higher there, but I would still choose GCBS over the Ritz for value and for its smaller size. All in all, I recommend GCBS and will definitely stay there again when we return to Grand Cayman.

Room Tip: Other reviewers have commented on the noise from the construction site next door. We were on the op...
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at GCBS and it was as awsome as our 1st last year. Brad and Kylie took great care of us at Seven Mile Beach Bar for good drinks and food and really made our stay more enjoyable. The staff at the front desk and cleaning staff were very friendly and accomodating. The room was clean and the A.C. blew cold !!! Snorkling Kittiwake is a must and you can book at Red Sail Sports right on the property. Hemingway's had good food...their Cheese Burger was very good. We are already discussing our next trip to GCBS next year.
See you guys next year!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Cayman Beach Suites? Share your experiences!